Bright and toasted Virginia, Latakia, and Perique with the smooth taste of nuts.

BrandGrant's Tobacconist
ContentsVirginia, Perique, Latakia
FlavoringNuts / Beans
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Grants of San Francisco was, for many years, a wonderful pipe and cigar shop in a very anti-tobacco city that was forced to close its doors a while back. They attempted to continue selling their own blends on the internet, but I am not sure if they succeeded or if they found another location. Grant's 2131 offers a nice tin note and when lit provides a large amount of creamy smoke. It is a light to medium English blend with a nutty undertone. It reminds me a bit of Uhle's Bishops Move, but not quite as good and I don't recall Bishops as being topped. A purest might call this blend an aromatic due to the nutty undertone, but the topping is very light and 2131 has a bunch of tobacco flavor that puts in more in the English blend category for my taste. 2131 burns very clean and dry and is worth a try (if it can be found) for those looking to cross over to English blends or the English smoker that seeks a little something different.

Bombay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bombay (6)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

First of all, kudos to the way they run their shop at Grant's. I at first doubted that the young, Hispanic man who attended to me would know his pipe tobacco, but he was well-informed. I was there to initiate my sojourn into English, and wanted something to help me distinguish the latakia and perique. He not only recommended me this blend, he actually GAVE me a small sachet to sample- on the house. It lasted three bowlfuls. The first I had in the mancave: I marveled at the smoothness and the fact that it needed almost no drying, smoked well, and had no bite. It has a nutty, earthy flavour, with the perfect amount smokiness from the latakia and of spice from the perique. The only doubt I had was the room note, and I did get a compliment from some non-smoking guy friends on a porch one cool summer evening, therefore my rating of "pleasant".