A golden blend of tobaccos. A soft and exceptional mellow smoke. Delightful aromatic taste. A true pleasure journey.

BrandMac Baren
Very Pleasant, Pleasant

2.9
Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (51)

I am trying out all of the MacB 7 Seas blends. This is my second tin after smoking through 7 Seas Regular.

At the tin, this blend has a nice, vanilla-caramel almost confectionery aroma. Soft, golden, not too moist, consistent ribbon-cut. Packs easily, but I've had a bit of a challenge getting it going after the charring light. Once it is going however, it is worth the journey.

Very pleasant room note, lightly aromatic. Plenty of tobacco taste, with just a hint of the topping coming through as you smoke. Easy to smoke and for me, I want more after the bowl is done. I don't get the gloopy comments. For me it burns fairly clean and dry.

Much better than CB Gold. No real chemical taste or aroma, and far better quality tobacco. Easy on the tongue and those around you. Leaves a sweet and pleasant aftertaste. Great for beginning pipers and all day smokers like myself. Will keep this one in rotation!

Pipe Used: Briar, meer

Age When Smoked: 6 mos.

Similar Blends: Captain Black Gold..

Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Mac baren classic blends(such as Mixture, plumeCake, Va No1, etc...) are not made for new pipers, these tobaccos require a very experienced pipe smokers with good technique in packing the pipe and an extremely slow smoking pace, however, if you are new to pipe smoking then I would recommend you to start with the 7 Seas blends.

This is a bright Va processed in Cavendish, sweet, fragrant and mild, very enjoyable with minimum tongue bite for fast puffer, similar to CB gold, maybe with a bit more vanilla casing. Highly recommended for new pipers.

Ambush1964 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ambush1964 (15)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco smelled wonderful upon opening my new tin. I get the aroma of apricots, no vanilla or chocolate like most others described shrug. Anyway it might have been just a bit moist, but I packed it lightly and lit'er up. It took to the flame and burned well, I did have to relight a few times, but oh well. It burned ok but I ended up with a bit of soggy dottle when I dumped my pipe. I think it would have burned ok to the bottom with a relight, but I had somewhere to be :(. I was pleasantly surprised with this tobacco and I enjoyed it very much. I have tried over 70 different tobaccos and this one rates in the top 10, maybe even the top 5 for me. I do enjoy my aromatics. I would highly recommend this tobacco. I loved it.

Pipe Used: Vintage BBB Tasman 725 billiard

Purchased From: Stogie's B&M Billings, MT.

Harry Haller Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harry Haller (3)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Well it comes in pouches here. Easy to burn and easy to smoke, gives you something unoticeable about in your mouth. The vanilla flavor is lost during the start. Without filter it comes the flavor that they say. With filter some stiches comes from the nose but boring.
The pouch after several openings make the tobacco dry which at my opinion needs to happen because this is moist enough.

Easy to smoke... sometimes to boring to puff puff.
Maybe if i have nothing to fill up my pipe i buy it again,

Anyway.

Pipe Used: 6

Roberto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roberto (2)

Blend really good, it burns well and does not burn your tongue. In the room is a very good smell for the wife .... one of my favorite tobacco. 4 stars

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (183)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

It is very mild, slighly chocolate smell. in the Room note, but during smoking, not very flavoured.

good for begginers, Tt seems (is similar or related) to certain Borkun Riff Blends, but better quality,

Not dried,unless, is wet in the just, desired point (as Essence of Vermont).

Compared with the Captain Black Blends, is much less sweet.

I agree with wenkrush: have much more flavour than taste!

Good tobacco.

Only one not good issue: It burns so hot and fast.

I revised my point of view: Although this is a excelent aromatic tobacco (Merits even 3 or 4 stars).

Unfortunately, it cause severe tongue bite after 2 or 3 bowls! (other MacBaren's Blends also!), from this, I`m obliged to reduce score to 2 stars!

TXBulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TXBulldog (63)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I received this as a gift and upon opening the pouch I really couldn't discern what I was supposed to get out of it as far as flavoring. I detected a sweet undertone but to be honest can't say what it is. The gold and brown tobacco cut was very nice and packed easily. A fine looking cut. The consistency was perfect - Not wet, goopy, and quite frankly was just right. This smoke lit easily and really was quite enjoyable all the way through. A nice sweet essence was maintained and pulled through providing interest and enjoyment all the way through. Again, I was unable to determine a specific flavor note, but the sweet hue was definitely present. It didn't burn hot and certainly didn't have an over-the-top aromatic sensation like so many that try too hard. I have to say I was surprised by this smoke. I wasn't expecting much and never heard about it until I tried it. I almost feel like giving it 4 stars. You know what, I enjoyed it and if I feel like giving 4 stars, maybe I should. Pleasantly surprised. I think I found my morning and evening Houston rush hour commute tobacco for the next few weeks. Glad it was gifted, I probably never would have ordered it on my own otherwise.

Pipe Used: Bjarne Viking Sandblast Yellow#3

Age When Smoked: 6 mos

Purchased From: Gifted via P&C

arbor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arbor (9)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of the best blends I've ever had! From the moment I opened the tin, I knew I would love it. It smells great not burning and when smoked. The tobacco is nice and moist out of the tin. I'll be trying the others!

Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

The cavendish processed Virginias are citrusy, lightly grassy with minor earth notes, along with some honey, sugar and toasty bread. They form base of the blend. The burley may be processed in the same way as I notice less nuts, wood and earth than expected, and virtually no molasses from it. It show more a little more after the half way point. The mildly applied toppings are a little hard to define, but I get some fruit (perhaps apricot?), a little caramel, brown sugar and a touch of vanilla. They tone down the tobacco just a little, less so than what you often see in aromatics. The nic-hit is very mild. No chance of bite or harshness. Not a complex blend, it burns at a normal pace, cool and clean with a very smooth, light flavor that is mostly consistent. Requires very few relights, and barely leaves any moisture in the bowl as it easily burns to ash. The after taste is short lived. An easy going all day product that makes lots of smoke, but the taste is so mild it may not satisfy an experienced are smoker. Three stars in the very mild aromatic genre, and two stars for lack of flavor depth.

hopyut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hopyut (1)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I liked its taste. Room smelled so nice. You should try this. This was my firt tabacco and it has not been too long since i started but i liked it best.

Witold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Witold (11)
Mild Medium Full Pleasant

Mild and delicate tobacco that tastes like some vanilla or toffee. Room note is good and I've been told that it smells like baked cookies.

Great for beginners, easy to smoke.

Pipe Used: Missouri Corn Cob

Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

It is unusual to find a Mac Baren's aromatic that processes Virginia into cavendish form, and that made this an interesting smoke. The Burley also came through for backbone but the sweetened leaf was pretty soggy and did not burn dry. I suspect this one was made to satisfy the aromatic crowd that enjoys the lightest of enhanced taste and flavors. It fell flat on its face with me. Not a lot of flavor, and not enough bottom to produce any interest at all.

Pipestud

hubup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hubup (14)

Nice burning tobacco with a mild aroma. Try this blend instead of spending money on Aromatic-Cherry- Vanilla Choice blends...

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)

This is a really pleasant blend. It starts off fairly sugary, reminiscient of Captain Black and other aromatics. About one fourth of the way into the pipe the aromatic flavour disappears, and you get a great burley flavour for the rest of the pipe.

Reminds me a little of BLWB, but with more of a tobacco tste.

Does not bite much, and my only complaint is that it can be difficult to keep lit. Other than that, I have nothing but praise for 7 Seas Gold, and have been stocking up.

It certainly is loaded with something, because a two-year old open pouch in my office desk drawer is nowhere near dried out.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)

Can't fault this.

Lovely caramel, sweet topping, lightly applied to high quality golden leaf tobaccos.

Mild but entirely pleasant to both the smoker and bystanders. Is incapable of biting and strikes a wonderful balance between the tobacco and the added sweetness.

I usually like 'em stronger but this just works. I could easily smoke this all day long. Especially at the price it sells for in the UK.

A massively pleasant surprise.

Sons of Reagan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sons of Reagan (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A really nice smoke that goes really well with a cup of coffee. I taste nuts and coffee in this wonderfully mild and pleasing smoke. Great compliments from the wife always help and no bite is a much added plus!

ciaran Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ciaran (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I purchased an ounce of this because I really enjoyed Mac Baren's 7 Seas Royal blend and thought I'd see if any of the other blends in the series were just as enjoyable. I wasn't disappointed!

There's a nice light vanilla caramel smell when I opened the bag--not too strong, just noticeable. I found the moisture content to be just about spot on. I first tried Gold in a Peterson Deluxe 5s System pipe. I loaded the bowl with a gravity fill (which I always do), lightly tamping the first fill until it's about halfway down the bowl. Then continued this method until the tobacco was a little under the rim (I do this to keep from damaging the rim from the burning tobacco). The char light was simple enough using my Xykar pipeline pipe lighter. The taste of this tobacco was ever slightly sweet, complimented the smell quite well, and continued throughout the smoke. In other words, I felt like the tin note and the taste matched. I've found a lot of the time, tobacco never tastes like it smells but that wasn't the case here.

Since that first bowl full, I've tried this blend in several Peterson pipes with the same result. In fact, I just smoked this in a 314 System pipe that I hadn't used in a long time (perhaps over a year). The 314 is a smaller pipe and I thought that 7 Seas Gold might burn a little hot but it didn't; that same slight sweetness stayed the entire bowl.

All-in-all, Mac Baren 7 Seas Gold has been a consistent tobacco no matter what size bowl I use--slightly sweet; very nice room note; a consistent taste throughout the smoke; finished off with a nice dusty, white ash. I highly recommend this wonderful blend.

Pipe Used: Different Peterson's

Age When Smoked: A couple of weeks

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (58)

Danish cream pastry ... more buttery than sweet. That's what 7 Seas Gold tastes and smells like.

And it's mild. Very mild. Everything is understated: flavour, aroma, strength.

The quality and value are admirably high in my view. The Virginia tobaccos have a crisp clean, mellow bite-free flavour, and the aroma enhancement is entirely natural in character.

But initially I had a difficult time getting onboard with the Gold: it was SO mild that I lost interest by mid bowl. Due to the recent favourable reviews I decided to give it another go. Only this time using a larger pipe with a broad deep bowl to amplify the aroma and flavour. And it worked!

Frankly I can't imagine many aromatic pipe smokers or non-smoking bystanders objecting to the aroma of 7 Seas Gold. It's luscious. And not at all overbearing.

Also ideal for those who carry their tobacco in a roll up pouch. Appears to stay fresh for days, even without a humidifying button.

Pipe Used: Danish Freehand

Purchased From: Online Vendor

Similar Blends: Lane Limited - 1-Q.

Aro Lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aro Lover (10)

A nice aromatic tobacco. I get a sweet maple and brown sugar taste when smoking it. About 3/4 through the bowl, the maple and brown sugar flavor fades and is replaced by a sweet natural Virginia tobacco flavour. Room note is of tasty baked cookies or pancakes. No artificial taste. But as with most aromatics, it should be properly dried before smoking (~30 seconds in the microwave is the quickest and most convenient way). You will also get a nice little nicotine hit at the bottom of the bowl. Complements MacBaren's Seven Seas Regular nicely. Beginner and veteran smokers alike really can't go wrong with this delicious and affordable tobacco.

Minus one star because this blend really isn't an all-day smoke. Even after proper drying, it still starts to burn my tongue after 3 or 4 bowls. It would be better if they put less propylene glycol on it like Amphora Red.

Proper dryness and air flow is the secret to getting the most out of this tobacco (and most aromatics). Here's a step-by-step guide on how I recommend smoking it:

1. Properly dry it out. Upon first opening a new pouch, the tobacco will be quite moist. It should be dried some before smoking. I dump the full pouch out on a large plate and spread it thin. I then microwave it on high setting for ~30 seconds. After that, I remove the plate from the microwave and let it air cool for about 45 minutes (more humid conditions will require a longer drying time). Then back into the pouch it goes. This drying out process only needs to be done once for each newly-opened pouch.

2. Gravity fill your pipe just below the top of the bowl. (I recommend unfiltered half-bent pipes for a cooler and more flavourful smoke). When I say gravity fill, I mean dumping the tobacco into the pipe. No packing or pushing. None. Zero. Now after the first gravity fill, lightly tamp the tobacco using only the weight of the tamper. Now gravity fill again a second time to just below the top of the bowl. By filling the pipe this way, you will get maximum air flow. The tobacco will burn better, and the smoke will be cooler and more flavorful.

3. Light the bowl. It will require two or three charring lights. After the second or third charring light, lightly tamp the tobacco down only using the weight of the tamper. Don't push it. Now light it again and it should stay lit for quite a while. I find that matches work best for the charring lights.

4. Dump ash as needed, but don't push down hard with the tamper. Only use tamper weight.

5. Stir it. Near the bottom of the bowl, you may need to stir the tobacco up a bit to burn the last of it.

Pipe Used: Half-Bent briar (unfiltered)

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (93)

7SG has a great smell in the pouch which makes a smart presentation, the golden/brown Cavendish base is correctly moist and ridiculously easy to keep lit, mild on the tongue and a very easy going in every sense. The flavouring is a mix of vanilla and fruits very pleasant to the nose, it is applied with light hand but it’s rather chemical and it lasts for ages in my mouth with an unpleasant feel. Still I surely prefer this one over its cousin Regular, none the less I can’t give it more than two stars because of that bad chemistry feel.

Pipe Used: Briars, cobs

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Well, it is not the worst tasting vanilla aromatic I have ever tasted. How is that for the start of a review. I have had the tin for two years and was happy to finish it off the other day. I suppose their is some decent tasting Burley notes when you get down to about the last third, but the preceding thirds are typical heavy chemical taste.

The room note is great, I will give it that much. I have received some compliments in that regard. I like the tin art and there is no need for wasting a jar on this one as the humectants will keep it in its moist state for at least two years in the tin.

As to how to recommend, I will give it two stars. Better than a captain Black, but far short of a Peterson or even a Stokkebye Aro.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Rust bent Roma Bulldog-best.

Age When Smoked: tin date 7/2010. opened early 2012

Purchased From: local B & M

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (49)

My first Mac Baren but didn't like it at all. The taste was insignificant and after smoked it the bowl was so dirty that it tooks me 5 minutes to clean it properly. I've tried few puff of other tobacco of Mac Baren and was very pleased. Maybe was just misfortune.

J.Wellington Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.Wellington (5)

It is the first Mac Baren I've ever tried, and it tastes good! Its flavoring is, in my opinion, very discreet, evident not so much during the puff as in the 'aftertaste'. It indeed lights easily, but it is also put out easily (I repeat, I am a beginner, so it might be me- however, other blends I've tried burned more ). I liked the fact that it is almost natural flavor (it says 'with notes of vanilla'), and I might buy another pouch in the future. For the time being, I think I'm still a Borkum Riff 'fan'. :)

Severian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Severian (2)
Very Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Hits on all fronts. Easy to load, easy to light, smells enticing out of the tin, and carries a cool flavorful smoke a long way.

Burns dry with no residue and subsequently delivers a relatively clean pipe for an aromatic.

This is an extremely comfortable blend that has earned a place on the shelf as an every day tobacco.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)

although people might compare it to captain black gold (which is similar in the color and cut) however i found it to be more similar to the lane 1Q cavendish as oppose to taste however the latter have more flavoring to it (which is more appreciated by me). the blend is very light and have smooth sweetness to it and the flavorings are not overwhelming, it burns perfectly and the room note is pleasant indeed.

DrCHicks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrCHicks (9)

Good beginners tobacco. Mild a bit to sweet for me.

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

not a bad aromatic blend. a lot of people complimented this blend on its room note. tried this after getting a tin of 7 seas royal and like the royal blend more but found this to be a very worthy tobacco to bear the macbaren name

Ben Rich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ben Rich (34)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I received a free sample of Mac Baren's 7 Seas Gold Blend in an order from an online store. I very rarely smoke aromatics... probably because of my bad experiences with aros thirty-five years ago when I first took up a pipe and bought nothing but over the counter drug store brands. I went ahead and tried out the 7 Seas Gold and I'm glad I did. It is really a very pleasant blend; the flavor for me seemed buttery/nutty with a faint hint of spice. My wife very much enjoyed the aroma (as I habitually smoke blends heavy with latakia I'm not surprised she found the room note of 7 Seas Gold to be pleasant). Here's what I found different comparing the 7 Seas to the aromatics I smoked many years ago: it didn't goop up my pipe; it didn't smoke wet; it didn't bite and it did not leave a foul aftertaste in my mouth. 7 Seas does leave a damp dottle but then so do many virginia blends; however, when I go ahead and fire up the dottle and smoke it down, the flavor remains pleasant, not bitter as I experienced with the drug store brands. Will I buy some? It would be good to have a tin on hand when we have company and I know they'll find the odor of my usual latakia blend offensive. I think this would also be a pleasant outdoor autumn evening or early spring evening smoke.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Extremely Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

A good well priced aromatic, nothing new though. In no way memorable.

morphijuana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morphijuana (17)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Currently one of my favorite tobaccos. I love everything about it, from the smell you get when opening the can (lovely sweet tobacco/raisin smell). To the excellent smoking experience it provides. This one is a go to for me. A must try.

FireTi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FireTi (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm trying this blend for the first time. I purchased it at a locally owned non-franchise tobacco store in the local mall. I'm not going to say which one because I don't like the owner and I don't want to give him any free advertising. Anyway, I think this is one of those blends you have to smoke really really slow and patiently look forward to the complex tobacco flavors that emerge around mid bowl. Also I think this might be one of those tobaccos that doesn't like to share seasonings in your pipe with other tobaccos smoked previously. And I think this is more than just an "aromatic" blend meant for people in the room to enjoy the smell. I think Mac Baren has some real quality aged tobaccos in there with wonderful natural flavors which will overpower the casings around mid bowl if the smoker is truly patient. I learned with Mac Baren Scottish Mixture, that some Mac Baren blends are truly not designed for big huge puffs of smoke unless the smoker just really enjoys having a burnt mouth. Truly the secret to smoking Scottish Mixture is to keep it just barely lit and then your mouth will get just barely burnt. LOL But this 7 Seas blend is not anywhere near that bad. Keep this blend barely lit and your mouth won't be burnt at all. And give it the ten bowl challenge in the same pipe so that your pipe has a chance to get seasoned to the subtle flavors of quality aged tobacco that Mac Baren has cleverly engineered into this blend.

SmokeyD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeyD (4)

I am relatively new to pipe smoking and I tend to lean more towards non aromatic blends. Friend of mine picked 2 pouches of this blend up for me and I decided to give it a shot.

Upon opening the pouch, the tobacco is not too moist. The cut is long ribbons and a nice mixture light and dark colored tobacco. Tin note is pleasent and not over-powering. In fact the casing is extremely mild for an aromatic tobacco, which suited me. Cannot really place what the smell is but it is reminiscent of chocolate coated raisins.

Packing and lighting is a breeze. After the initial charring light and tamp, the subsequent light produced a nice volume of smoke. Initial taste was of tangy virginias and a hint of dark chocolate. Halfway through the bowl, the taste got stronger, nuttier and the malty chocolate taste was still there. It stayed that way till the bottom of the bowl. Tobacco stayed lit almost all the way down and only needed 1 relight towards the end. Burned to a light grey ash and left no goopey gunk after the smoke.

Did not bite my tongue, but I must admit that no Mac Baren Blends have caused me any tongue bite.

One of my favourite aromatic to date. 4 stars!!!

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

And another 7 Seas variation. My nose tells me all three I have seen so far have the same casing/sauce/flavouring, which is not bad at all, just the underlying tobaccos are different. My nose has been known to go off its rocker on occasion, though, so you might want to test for yourself.

This one is the most different of the three; it seems to be mostly VA with maybe 30 to 40 % Burley in there, going by taste. It's less toasty than the Royal and Regular versions, the ribbons are longer and lend themselves to medium-to-small bowls. The burn is easy just like the others, no dottle worth mentioning, and the taste is quite a bit brighter, though the flavouring comes through throughout the bowl.

I cannot put my finger on the reason, but somehow this is my least favourite of the three 7 Seas blends. I tend to like VA/Burley blends and tastefully flavoured VAs (I'd say this one is one of them). It just does not seem to work for me as well as its companion blends, but I may change my mind in the future; a friend of mine is currently going through his first full-size pouch of this, and I expect to get a couple of bowls out of that.

Please do not let me deter you from trying this; it is not bad at all in my estimation; just something (whatever it may be) does not seem to work for me with this blend, at this time. I say it's a fine puffin' blend, anyway.

bangalbhuut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bangalbhuut (2)

I am new to pipe smoking. And the only reason I thought of posting my comments was to say that it appears like I am smoking a whole different blend. The 7 Seas Gold pouch was fairly new. The bowl stays lit and the tobacco is easy to pack. But man is there some bite! After two bowls, I felt like someone had steamed my tongue! Taste wasn't bad I think, but honestly I was trying to avoid the bite and concentrating on just that. I am going to let this tobacco sit for a while and see how it is a few weeks later.

Pipe Used: Peterson Churchwarden

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (273)
Extremely Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Pipe4ever is so right in stating that the 7 Seas blends are perfect for new pipers. They have none of the gloppy PG mess that the Captain has and are very forgiving of a fast over puffing. The Gold has the least topping of the 7 seas blends I tried and has the most tobacco flavor. Mildly sweet Golden Cavendish with a light Vanilla topping make this a great choice and for a topped Golden Virginia, this has to be provoked to bite. Really a 3.5 star blend in my opinion, not quite worthy of 4 stars, but very tasty though!

Similar Blends: Captain Black Gold.

dustoff56 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dustoff56 (10)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I bought this after I smoked a tin of 7 seas regular. It wasnt bad.very mild. burns too fast for me. I like cavendish blends because they burn slower and and have more flavor. not bad but isnt my type of tobacco.

cigarcohiba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cigarcohiba (26)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

This pipe tobacco is a lot different than the seven seas Royal and Regular blends. It is not as much as aromatic as the ones mentioned above. It is a blend on the more "neutral" side. It does not seem to be an easy smoke, seems a bit complicated to get it running.

Medium Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

7 Seas Gold . Quite a steady tobacco . It has a sweet unlit aroma to it and the ribbon cut is uniform in size with a good moisture amount . It takes to lighting with ease and stays lit well . The smoke has a subtle vanilla taste to it but it does not overpower the Virginia and Burley as they still are allowed to shine through , sustaining their eminence ! For me , the negative point is that if I draw a little harshly I get bite from it , so I have to go easy with it . Nicotine content is quite good , neither too much nor too little (about Squadron Leader level) . The room note is about the best point of this one for me , a dichotomy of modern sweet and old traditional tobaccos !

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: Smoke King

wenkrush Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wenkrush (2)

Mild. That is the word that comes to mind when I think of this blend. This is a nice tobacco to smoke on a hot summer day because it doesn't bring too much to the table as far as strength. The tin note and the room note are both wonderful. The problem is that, for me, this tobacco is all aroma. Very little taste.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (94)

Nice solid, standard, entry level aromatic. Moist, ribbon cut very much like Capt. Black. No problem with tongue bite. I'd rate this 3 stars for a new pipe smoker. I'd give it 2.5 stars for a veteran smoker because 7SGB is too similar to a decent drugstore blend: not too interesting but pleasantly smokable.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (58)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Another homerun from Mac Baren in their 7 Seas American-style aromatic line. Upon opening the tin I was greeted by another vanilla and butterscotch smell. The tin note carried over wonderfully into the taste, as all MacB 7 Seas blends have for me. It burns very well, but is a bit moist at first. Drying time will probably be welcomed by most. Though on the moist side, this blend didn't give me any tonge bite. After having so many MacBaren blends not bite I'm perplexed as to why they're "known for their bite". All in all a great aromatic. Definately one to keep in an aromatic smokers rotation.

I enjoy a very wide range of baccy and tongue bite is very rare for me. However, not only do I find this blend to bite, but it's down right harsh. The pouch aroma is inviting and the light tan tobacco has been well cut. It arrives a tad moist, but based on the pouch scent, I couldn't wait to dive in, but i gave it some dry time. That's where all enjoyment ended. If nursed very carefully, there are some nice flavors here, but with the wide range of aromatic offerings on the market and only smoking aro's about 10% of the time, for me it's not worth the effort. I seem to find this harshness with MacBaren's blends in general so it may be just me. It you a one that gets bit by MacBaren, this blend will not offer any relief. I do think that smokers of their aromatic blends will enjoy this blend but it won't be occupying any space in my cellar.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

The best way to describe 7 Seas Gold Blend is simply by taking Captain Black White and tone down the flavoring, turning it into a nobler version: one where lemon Virginias stay in front, with Burley and the woodsy flavoring rounding up an enjoyable smoke. As with its counterpart, tongue bite is an issue only when smoking recklessly.

If you like Captain Black White, give this blend a try.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (62)

A tobacco to come back to like an old friend.

Superb pouch aroma as noted by others. Sweet caramel mmm nice.

As we all know this aroma very rarely follows through on the smoke and once again this isn't an exception although the initial burn is quite tasty.

Retains its moist character in the pouch provided. The pack I have says its 40gs which is an odd weight. If I hadn't have checked I wouldn't have known.

Given its moistness its a bit of a bugger to keep alight, but smokes evenly down the bowl without the old bitey. Indeed you'd have to try very hard to get it to frizzle the tongue. Probably best in a big old pipe.

A good quality aromatic a shade above supermarket brands but lacking the complexity of more expensive brands. Think a stronger version of Davidoff's blue (no idea what Captain Black, which some reviewer have compared this with, is like as we can't get it in the UK).

Not bad, not bad at all.

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (40)
Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

has a good tin appearance and presentation, packs okay, the color is good and the aroma of the tobacco itself is great, but the smoking is boring. will not make my regular rotation.

Duncan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duncan (3)

I decent tobacco for a decent price. MacBaren did a fine job opening into the American style Aro market. I have found this is a great all day smoke, nice mild and no bite. As for it being a treat style smoke it has a bit to be desired. One big negative is that it is a very moist tobacco and should be dried for a bit to cut down on the goop.

pipe row19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe row19 (25)

I got a tin of this about 2-3 weeks ago. The tin aroma is nice it comes farily moist so it took a few lights to get it going. But when i tryed it i hated it!!!, i couldnt even finsh the bowl just gross. Yesterday i thought i'd give a second chance. Packed my bowl gave it a good ligt and wow!. It was awsome a nice mild cool smoking and great smelling blend. I thought i tasted some vanilla in the background. This is a great aromactic tobacco, i dont know why i hated this 2 weeks ago. I do use matches so maybe i didnt let the sulfur burn off. When said and done its a great aromatic all day smoke.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (168)

I come to review a couple of the new Mac Baren blends under the 7seas line: the Regular Blend and the Golden Blend. They have striked me much more than I expected. The GB is a mix of Virginia and Burley, non-contrasted golden colour, medium-large ribbon. The RB is a mix of golden Burley and Black Cavendish, very dark in colour with some lighter specks, broaden cut. Leaves are good quality with no sticks. Both are aromatics of the same league, the “vanilla/pastry” constituents are clearly detectable but delicate, very different from the typical Mac Baren standard. Vitamin N present in traces… Unlike any other aros, they burn surprisingly cool & smooth, and the flavour actually reflects the pouch aroma. The GB displays a more true tobacco aroma than RB, nevertheless I found myself more fascinated with the latter. In fact, the RB offers an intriguing sweet/toasty/smoky flavour which is comparable to a EM. The GB is also sweet/spicy, but in a higher scale spectrum. The quality/price factor is very remarkable. Three stars.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

7 Seas Gold... Came in a handy Fold-up pouch that upon opening had a low keyed mild vanilla aroma. The packaging calls it a aromatic blend, so I guess that's what it is. Easy to handle ribbon cut, that lights easy, and stays lit. I found no bite issues, in spite of me pushing it a bit. Overall, I can find nothing to complain about, or find anything special to rave about, that would make me insist on this stuff over others. . Would I buy more? Sure, if I found some locally. But here is the rub, the notch filled by this rather common blend is crowed, and many in this crowd, can be found locally. If you happen to find some, give it a shot. 2.5 stars.