A blend of Virginia ribbon, Latakia, rough cut Burley with a little fine Turkish thrown in for a clean smoke.

ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (32)

I found Unique to be anthing but. Very one dimensional down to the bottom of the bowl. Maybe whoever mixed it messed up that day, I have found C&D to be inconsistent sometimes. Think I'll stick with P.S. Awesome English blends.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)

Unique is an honest and straightforward medium American-English, a classic example of C&D's handiwork in this genre with all the right ingredients. There is a light toastiness and earthiness that tastes natural, fresh and true -- "clean," as the blender puts it, which to me is the hallmark of this boutique American blender. If you're looking for complexity, you've come to the wrong place, but there are times when an easygoing smoke is in order, and Unique fits the bill as a good respite from more resolute blends.

If I were to compare it, I would say that it's a touch fuller and more flavorful than Plantation Eveving, yet still relatively mellow. It's smoky but definitely not a Latakia powerhouse, as you will see by the color of its coarse-cut leaves; the burley isn't overwhelming and the Viriginias, although not of the sweet variety, round it all out alongside the quality Turkish. It pairs well with any adult beverage you choose and delivers a pleasing dose of nicotine.

I am surprised at the dearth of reviews for this one. Lost amidst hundreds of its stablemates in Morganton, North Carolina, this is a sleeper that would be a flagship blend for many other manufacturers.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)

This is a cool blend, it has nothing "unique" to give it its name, but is a truly great blend. I have smoked it in large and small pipes alike and find it sings in all pipes. The Latakia is strong but well in balance. It never gets overpowering but is always in the forefront. The VA is sweet and earthy and never bites. THe burly is strong and flavorful. And did I mention the exotic Turkish it is flavorful and appreciated. This blend is clean smoking and never wets a pipe. It burns to a very fine ash and begs to be reloaded! This blend deserves a try and may end up in your rotation. GREAT ALL DAY SMOKE!!!

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)

Unique is another variation of the C&D burley-with-Virginia-and Latakia style. There are several of these and I like most of them. Judging by the small number of reviews here, I think that Unique is an underappreciated member of this group. I have heard people refer to it as "ok, but nothing spectacular" and some pipesters may think this is true.

I got a couple ounces of this in a sample pack and, without realizing how much I liked it, found that I finished the Unique sample first among the eight blends that Craig sent me. After the first try, I just reached for it automatically without thinking about it.

Unique has the makings of an all-day smoke for me. There is a reasonable amount of nicotine, but it it not overpowering. The taste is smooth and fairly rich without being distracting; I find I enjoy it while reading or writing because it satisfies without distracting me. And, like nearly every C&D blend I have tried, it is low-maintenance, burning evenly to a white ash without much attention or fiddling. If you like American-style English blends, you'll like this.

Rusty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rusty (38)

My impression favors Unique as a balkan-style smoke, rather sharp in flavor in the sense that aged Vermont cheddar is sharp. Tasty, full-flavored, but actually quite smooth. Latakia, turkish, and Virginia in a good balance. Not much taste contribution from the burley component, but it serves to balance the mixture and smooth it out. A fairly rich smoke that goes well with scotch or bourbon to sip.

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)

I hate being the oddball among those who have reviewed this tobacco, but I can only rate "Unique" as a "somewhat recommend". Perhaps it is because I believe that Burley in English tobacco needs to be done just right or to be of very high quality, to be pleasurable. Please take that into consideration.

While "Unique" does have a pleasant smokey flavor, I find little of the underneath Virginia sweetness that others identify in this concoction. In fact there seems to be a little bitterness that I don't enjoy at all. I know some may like that "bordering on bitter" taste, but it seems to me that there are just too many good English blends (and American English blends) to rate this one above 2 stars.