Black Cavendish and Golden Burleys. A soft and exceptionally mellow smoke. Delightful, aromatic taste. A true pleasure journey.

BrandMac Baren

2.7
Piepensmöker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piepensmöker (17)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The main flavor is dark chocolate, out of the pouch and in the smoke. After the half of the bowl a natural burley flavor takes the lead, which can be a little bitter at times and reminds me of Prince Albert. I got it once really wet in the pouch and once a little dried out. The dry tobacco smoked better, but was harsher and less refined. The moist tobacco tasted better, but was a little harder to smoke cool. Large bowls are preferred, as the flavor comes out much better.

Let's face it, this is a cheap tobacco and you get what you pay for, but it is a good allday smoke, if you are into that style. For the price, it gets an additional star.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

Wow..!!!

Fair dues to Mac Baren, this is a sleeper on the aromatic front. I only discovered this today when my newsagent in England (and one of the very few left in my area that sell a variety of pipes AND tobacco) waved this under my nose and said in his native pidgeon English tongue.."This one new sir...This one new!"

Mac Baren 7 seas?!?! Never heard of that before. So out of the three that were available in this range, I opted for the 'regular blend' because it says it has a cocoa and vanilla taste/aroma to it.

Well, this is quite a surprise from Mac Blowtorch.....because there is absolutely no bite whatsoever from this superlative blend. Saying that it is what it is, an aromatic. So what? It's not actually a crime to be an aromatic, or for that matter to like one. Most tobacco's are, including those that like the Latakia's under the English banner (myself included).

This blend was a REAL surprise. It actually smoked like it smelt (A rather nice concoction of chocolate with a hint of vanilla) It smoked utterly dry with no goopiness, yea sure it got a fraction toasty in the last few millimetres of the bowl, but what aromatic doesn't?!?!? I generally tend to smoke aro's with 9mm filters to keep the moisture, and heat out of the smoke should it be there.

Not a trace of the Mac Baren honey flavour at all, and I'm one of those who find MB blends relatively similar. (Mixture, Navy Flake, etc) This should be promoted immeadiately to '50gm/100gm tin available' status.

I wasn't looking for the rich tobacco taste nor the 'N' word hay- maker, because I knew it wouldn't be there. Primarily because I knew what I was smoking. An aromatic. However, for when I need to smoke in company, such as waiting to go into bat on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon during the cricket season, this was a real team/crowd pleaser.

This enhanced by the fact that I was smoking it in a churchwarden (always novelty value for the un-initiated) was a real visually quintessential and oral-factory experience for smoker and observer alike. All whilst sat on the bench of the thatched pavillion, with summers evening shadows stretching across the field of play to the sounds of blackbirds melodically chirruping nearby.

Just as the local church bells tolled 6pm there's a cry of HOWZAT!!! And the thin blue aromatic wisps of SSRB's chocolatey/vanilla smoke that have been drifting out to deep mid- on from my direction, slowly dissipate, as I place down the long- shanked briar, and stride out to place leather on willow!

Well done McBaren. (For a change)

Still, the three stars you get from me (Coz I'm a VA man at heart) will only stand tall if you make this blend available in massive tins!!!! This is certainly comparable to my other aro fav's such as those by Peterson so why not tin it?

Give it a go all, but remember to take it for what it is...

Even the missus, (who thinks everything else I smoke, from Penzance to Erinmore to FVF, smell's of dead old men's clothing, and in turn, begs me the question as to how she knows what that smells like in the first place ?!?) thinks that this is acceptable........she being a women, and this being chocolate after all!!!!

Still, the floor......or rather, the 'bowl' is yours.

I'd say it's certainly comparable to Navy flake by the same blender.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)

Reminiscent of coffee caramel chocolates and Bailey's Irish Cream Liqueur. In the same camp as Dan Tobacco's Milonga and Trout Stream. I don't get the Captain Black White (marshmallow) connection at all. Burns well. No goop. A bit of overenthusiastic puffing did scorch the roof of my mouth somewhat but this could simply be personal chemistry. I'm not particularly fond of coffee/caramel/cream flavourings, so this is a 2-star tobacco for me personally. Setting aside my personal taste preferences, I rate it 3 stars and heartily recommend all aromatic smokers give it a try.

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (47)

The first paragraph of this review is the same for all of the 7 Seas blends, as it applies to all of them equally. This blend falls victim, as many aromatics do, to being reviewed against type. In this case Mac Baren was going for something very specific with the 7 Seas blends, and it makes no sense to review these in a vacuum and ignore that fact. Comparing this, for example, to the HH Line is like comparing a fruit smoothie and a steak as if they were the same thing. In this case the 7 Seas blends are reflections of very traditional american style aromatics. Within that context I think that they are very good (perhaps the best currently offered) reflections of that style of pipe tobacco. A significant caveat is that Mac Baren uses a base of virginia for these blends instead of burley. I personally like the result, as I find that they retain the American style and flavor, but offer a more well-rounded smoking experience with a little more depth of flavor and sweetness. Of course, they still use burley as well, so that flavor component is retained.

A major difference in my estimation is that flavor and quality of the cavendish. The cavendish found in american blends is often awful, with a strange odor and strong flavor that funks pipes and leaves an aftertaste. Mac Baren has a very fine cavendish which leaves no aftertaste, has softer, purer tobacco flavor, and has better smoking characteristics in that it burns and lights readily.

With respect to the burn characteristics of this blend, I find it is a nice smoke. It packs and lights easily, and stays lit without much effort. Of course, like most blends everything works better when it is not dripping wet. While I think the humidity is good out of the tin, I prefer to dry it out a little. All of the 7 Seas blends are very mild in terms of tongue bite.

This is a mild blend, and Mac Baren describes it as such. The flavor is described as having sweet vanilla and chocolate. This is my favorite of the 7 Seas blends, and I find it to have a slightly richer, fuller flavor than 7 Seas Royal. 7 Seas Red is a different animal and really does not warrant a comparison to this. While I do not find this to be have a strong chocolate flavor like some chocolate aromatics, it is a very nice mild smoke with hints of vanilla and chocolate. There is no bad aftertaste, and the tobacco flavor, while mild, is present.

Overall this a very satisfying smoke within its genre, and is worth having in rotation if you like a nice mild aromatic.

Pipe Used: Caminetto Full Bent Brandy

Age When Smoked: 1.5 years

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (103)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I have read that McBaren developed the 7 seas series to compete with the Captain Black blends. If they did they were certainly successful. 7 Seas Reg not only tastes better, it isn't saturated with the gosh-awful propylene glycol that makes the Captain Black stuff a goopy mess.

In my opinion, it is slightly better than 7 Seas Royal.

I would have given 7 Seas Reg a 4 star rating but it does have a slight bite. Regardless of how tempting it is, I have to limit myself to 2 pipefuls per day to avoid being bitten.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (82)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A very nice aromatic. I'd call this a middle aromatic because it's neither goopy with flavor nor one of the slightly flavored variety. The smell in the bag is fantastic but, as usual bag smell doesn't have a lot of do with how it smokes.

I really enjoyed the smoking taste. The cavendish was consistently smooth and complimented by the natural sweetness of the burley. The burley was nicely blended in that it didn't overpower and I didn't detect the burley nutty taste that occurs when the burley is really prevalent. The casings/flavorings were low-key and added a nice sweetness to the tobaccos flavors.

Interesting slightly salty taste to the end of each puff.

Overall, a very nice balance of the tobacco taste and the flavorings. I'm impressed with this new blend and would try it again. Got this sample as a freebie in an order from a tobacconist. Well worth a smoke for the seasoned enjoyer of aromatics or the new pipe smoker. Cool, mellow and relaxing.

Note: I usually smoke English blends and my favorites are Oriental/Balkans. When I want straight tabacky I smoke english blends. When I want some sweetness and flavorings I smoked aromatics. Pipe smoking is that simple.

Jay Bird Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jay Bird (2)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I enjoy this tobacco and smoke a bowl ever time I have a pipe. Instead of Captain Black as a starter offer a newb 7 Seas. Similar, both enjoyable, but 7 Seas is a better quality tobacco.

Pipe Used: Cob, Mr Brog churchwarden

Purchased From: Local B & M

milabros1981 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
milabros1981 (9)

Reading the other reviews, I knew what I was going to get before I even buy the MB regular blend: a WAT (wife approved tobacco). Nice and tasty, very pleasant aroma and room note, easy to light, easy to smoke, overall a good tobacco that deserves its money. Yet, too mild for me, never gave me the feeling that I smoke something with any personality and at times it seemed flat and boring. The three stars are for its great price and its relatively good quality that makes it hard to ignore, particularly for beginners.

Yanis1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Yanis1979 (4)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Very enjoyable american aromatic, mainly marked by burley nutiness and chocolate/butterscotch (more than vanilla) topping to my buds. Darker, fuller than Royal Blend of the 7 seas series. 3 stars for me.

Pipe Used: french briar

Age When Smoked: fresh pouch (2013)

Purchased From: local tobacconist

Landsurfer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Landsurfer (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I had some set aside in a baggie (a bowl's worth) from overflow when I jarred a few ounces a while back. "Waste not, want not" I said... So, for fun, I packed it into my MM Washington cob and was surprised and delighted when it smoked down to ash with only 3 relights. It produced a very pleasant tasting, mellow-sweet smoke with no tongue nipping wetness. I'll certainly load this one up again soon, for my next after-dinner walk. Perhaps setting a bit aside for several weeks in a thin baggie is the trick to getting this tasty tobacco to burn faithfully.

DivCurl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DivCurl (4)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I've got very mixed feelings about this tobacco. As one of the first real Mac Baren aromatics that I tried, I had very high hopes for it. I'll highlight the pros and cons but also want to point out that thus far I've tried it in three different pipes of varying quality and size and it performs generally the same in all of them. I've also smoked around 10 bowls of it over a period of roughly 2 months.

Pros: Wonderful taste and aroma, for me personally of course Wonderful tin note * I can usually smoke it to the bottom of the bowl with no or minimal relights (with careful pacing)

Cons: Burns hot, burns wet, and requires more management and pacing during the smoke for me which can be irritating Almost always very noticeable dottle/goop left at bottom of bowl * Needed a little drying out of the tin, which didn't improve the hot/wet burning characteristic for me unfortunately.

I really want to give this 3 stars, because in my opinion it seems like a quality aromatic and the flavor and aroma imparted by the casing are great. However, as I'm becoming increasingly intolerant of goopy leftovers and extra dottle (characteristic of oh so many aro's out there), as well as the high burning temperature and extra management required to smoke it pleasurably, I find myself keeping it pushed off towards the back of my other tobaccos and have lost interest. Things might improve with age though, so I'll keep it confined to a rare smoke and will update my review accordingly if things improve in the future.

Egalitarian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Egalitarian (3)

One of my best regular aromatic tobacco. Good quality of casing and better than 1-Q and much to series of Captain Black. Smoke fantastic and very pleasant, and indeed very sweet. The tobacco is a bit sticky, do avoid tight packing and make sure take a gentle and slow sipping. For sure you will be overwhelmed by nice and addicted tobacco flavor and its sweetness.

hrgerami@hotmail.com Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hrgerami@hotmail.com (3)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

Given the limited choices of pipe tobaccos here in Tehran (Iran) amongst about 20 brands such as Captain Black, Borkum Riff, Colts, Planta, etc., tried Mac Baren 7 Seas Regular blend (and not inhaling). Its cocoa chocolaty taste reminded me of Partagas cigar flavor. Will definitely keep in my rotation when craving for an aromatic pipe smoke. (As an alternative since Cuban cigars, sold at their franchise La Casa Del Habano here in Tehran, have become more expensive recently, and due to restrictions on tobacco not being able to order Cigar blends such as Mogano 146, Dominican Glory or Compton's Cuban Style Cigar Blend that are listed on this site, attempted to making a cigar leaf blend myself. I added about 10% by volume Cuban or any good cigar leaf to this Mac Baren blend. And it was a satisfying smoke with cigar taste and aroma connotations. Not a cigar blend or an everyday smoke by any means. Very good though for a change of pace.) - Submitted in June 2013

* For non-inhalers, simple ways of making a cigar leaf blend, using Colts American Mixture pipe tobacco, are listed with all the details under Scandinavian Tobacco Group Canada reviews if someone wished to know.)

SIDE NOTE - New feature on this website: It seems every time an existing review is edited by the reviewer - all the reviews that are already submitted by that reviewer are treated as new entries, and all would be listed at the top in their respective sections. - Submitted on December 16, 2013

Honzz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Honzz (10)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Over the past two days I've given 7 Seas Regular blend a couple of bowls, and I thoroughly enjoy it. A great cool smooth smoke with a casing of chocolate and vanilla which intermingle and sometimes intertwine. They're cased on a black cavendish and golden burley leaf combination. Sometimes the vanilla took over and sometimes the chocolate took over, other times the two flavors mixed wonderfully, and still sometimes the taste of the great leaf combination took over for a moment. It's been a wonderful smoke every time. The flavors mingle just enough to make the smoke tremendously enjoyable without leaving me wondering where the flavor casing has gone. By the time I realize I'm mostly tasting the burley and black cavendish all the sudden the vanilla or chocolate flavor pops back up. It is a bit moist in the tin, as most MacB blends are, but hasn't given me any problems with relights or tongue bite. Definitely recommend giving this blend a try, especially if you're an aromatic fan.

Bdub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bdub (2)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I highly recommend this brand. I have tried 1Q, Capt. Black, and McClelland's Town Topic for similar aromatic smokes but this one takes the cake. A very generous size tin considering the price for the 100g. I thought the quality of tobacco was very noticeable compared to the others that I have tried. The room note was better, the taste was better, and the overall experience to me was better than any of the other aromatics that I tried. I will definitely keep this in my rotation.

Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

First off you must love aromatics to enjoy this as it is vanilla flavored causing those that don't like aromatics to think it tastes like soap or other noncomplementary flavor. As I do like vanilla flavors I enjoyed this blend, but I don't feel it is up to par with some of the great vanillas blends. It is mild enough, very little tongue bite.

This comes in a white toll up pouch and it smeels very sweet in the pouch, with the vanilla flavoring comening through. It is very dark and very sticky. It is a ribbon cut, It takes a few lights to get going and will require relights. Once lit though, it does give one a smooth, creamy vanilla flavored smoke, is very easy on the tongue, and is very mild. I could see Captain Black lovers enjoying this. But it does taste like all the other vanillas out there, nothing distinctive about it. It does have a lot of preservatives and you can leave it out to dry forever and it will still be sticky. So if goopy is not your thing, this may not be for you. It does have a nice slow burn rate and it will smoke down to the bottom of the bowl and a lot of the moisture burns off as you won't have a lot of it at the bottom of your bowl. While I did enjoy smoking this, it does not come even close to a vanilla blend like MB Vanilla Cream. if given the choice to smoke a vanilla, I would not choose this seven seas which is why it only get's two stars from me out of four.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

About once a year I get an urge to smoke an aromatic blend. I've been on a bit of a Mac Baren binge of late, working through tins of Dark Twist, Golden Extra, Symphony and finishing up with Burley; favourites, all. So when the desire for something different came over me, I reached for more Mac Baren: 7 Seas Regular.

It has been, perhaps, five years since I sampled their Vanilla Cream, but my memory of that blend seemed to match with the experience of smoking 7 Seas: very sweet, slightly fruity, and quite light on the tobacco experience.

If you like aromatics, I can't see how you couldn't like this. If you don't like aromatics, I can't see how this would win you over. I would prefer Stokkebye's bulk PS-24 for a vanilla and tobacco experience but as there are no more real pipe shops left in my hometown I can't pick up a small bag of it. Never thought I'd see the day...

mcbpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mcbpipe (11)

I have tried all the 7 Seas blends except the Red. This is by far my favourite of the series. It is not a nicotine power house & thats ok for a mild flavourful aromatic. It is a nice change of pace from the heavier true tobacco blends I also like but it is not a goopy , chemical type of aro & this is a good thing.THis is my present aromatic of choice.

StasV Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StasV (2)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Burns well if packed lightly, though in a narrow bowl i had to relight it quite a lot. Tastes quite flat if smoked slowly. Only when i smoked it hotter i got a somewhat pleasant fruity/vanilla taste. Then again, if smoked hot it might bite lightly. Smokeable, but not exciting. Just 'cause i expected more of this blend, it feels like a waste of money and time.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)

the best in the 7 seas line. the flavorings are very nice and a tad on the sweet side which might be a no go for many pipers. though it is moist however it burns quite alrite. the room not is nice but will not overwhelm the place which might not please your surroundings (thats a draw back to me). but certainly an enjoyable tobacco and i would certainly recommend for aromatic lovers.

SpeedyPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpeedyPete (14)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I was given a sample to try at our last pipeclub meeting. The first positive note was the delicious chocolate flavour emitting from the bag. The baccy was a bit moist but to my surprise it lit easily and stayed lit. The smoke was very mild, cool and the taste reminded me of espresso! No, I repeat, no tongue bite at all!! I've bought, and finished, a bag since. I'm not a Mac Bite fan at all but this tobacco now features in my top 10 favourites. I just LOVE it!!!

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (53)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Mild in nicotine this is a decent aro with sweet Vanilla/Chocolate taste that burns ok.

Bucky19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bucky19 (13)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

i dont really smoke aromatics im a english tobacco kind of guy. but i got this in bulk at the tobacco barn and i was really into it. the flavor was really good and it tasted great. it smells like brow sugar out of the bag. mac baren really knows how to make a good aromatic. if you dont let it dry out it smokes cool and is an all around solid blend. its not really wet like other aromatics get. now if i want a break from my english blends this is what i go for

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (43)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

Over the past two days I've given 7 Seas Regular blend a couple of bowls, and I thoroughly enjoy it. A great cool smooth smoke with a casing of chocolate and vanilla which intermingle and sometimes intertwine. They're cased on a black cavendish and golden burley leaf combination. Sometimes the vanilla took over and sometimes the chocolate took over, other times the two flavors mixed wonderfully, and still sometimes the taste of the great leaf combination took over for a moment. It's been a wonderful smoke every time. The flavors mingle just enough to make the smoke tremendously enjoyable without leaving me wondering where the flavor casing has gone. By the time I realize I'm mostly tasting the burley and black cavendish all the sudden the vanilla or chocolate flavor pops back up. Like most MacB blends it's a little moist in the tin, but it hasn't given me any problems with lighting or tongue bite. Definitely worth a try. By the way, you can buy it in bulk from most websites so you can get a 2oz sample bag very reasonably priced.

Extremely Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Vanilla, Caramel, brown sugar, toasted pancake and honey is the base flavoring of this 7seas blend, extremely mild, sweet with delightful room aroma and very pleasant sweet taste and aroma.

very close to Captain Black(white), the casing seems to me stronger and more natural than CBW, however the taste is less nutty, less buttery with less body in the smoke.

If you like CBW give this one a try.

kiowapipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kiowapipe (17)
Mild Strong Medium Pleasant

Yummy stuff. Coffee, cocoa, and butter. Yep, butter. Sounds weird, but this stuff is very smooth and tasty. I don't get any bite from it. It's positively wet from the tin, but it seemed to burn fine regardless and left zero goop or dottle a cob. It's compared to CBW often, but it tastes substantially different to me. Less vanilla in 7 Seas. 7 Seas also seems to have a much richer character and to be much smoother, and to have a nicer finish at the bottom of the bowl. It's also actually cheaper than CBW these days. You'll notice that the people who have panned this one mostly state that they aren't aromatic fans. Well, fine. If you don't mind aros, though, this is a pretty decent one. I'm more of a straight Virginia guy myself but I occasionally enjoy a good flavored bowl. I plan to buy more of this blend.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (83)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Well, I'll cut short: 7SRB is a quite pleasant Aromatic which smokes smooth and cool with a good mouth feel, nonetheless for some reason (too chemistry?) it irritates my throat. Somewhat recommended.

fiorano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fiorano (13)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is good hearty regular tobacco. Pack it right not too tight and easy does it. It is warm and mild tasting nut it maade me want to find the notes of flavor. A good blend it isn't great but it is alright. I recommend, consider captain black as a comparison, although they are different they Share an essence which is common to both. Enjoy it because it is eaasy going.

castello man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
castello man (13)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I agree with most of the other positive reviews of this blend. Light in strength, and uncomplicated; perfect for the the beginner pipe smoker. Not a great deal of flavor really, but rather enjoyable nonetheless. I would call this a very "passive" smoke. I much prefer it to the highly touted MB Vanilla Cream, which I find rather harsh. Just remember to pack it lightly.

GermanCollegeMajor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GermanCollegeMajor (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

After recieving this as a free sample, what to say, except for extremely impressed! Absolutely no tongue bite, and it contains an amazing butter and chocolate flavor. Also not too bad on the wallet. It makes for a great smokle for a beginner as well, as it it easy to light, no tongue bite, and it has an excellent room note. Obviously not for the more experienced pipe smokers who may be desirous of something much stronger, but definately a great blend for a beginner, or anybody who will enjoy the great chocolate/ cocoa taste that this blend offer. Also not too bad on the wallet. This is actually my number one blend, even after trying more complex and expensive blends. Very well made blend!

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I come to review a couple of the new Mac Baren blends under the 7seas line: the Regular Blend and the Golden Blend. They have striked me much more than I expected. The GB is a mix of Virginia and Burley, non-contrasted golden colour, medium-large ribbon. The RB is a mix of golden Burley and Black Cavendish, very dark in colour with some lighter specks, broaden cut. Leaves are good quality with no sticks. Both are aromatics of the same league, the “vanilla/pastry” constituents are clearly detectable but delicate, very different from the typical Mac Baren standard. Vitamin N present in traces… Unlike any other aros, they burn surprisingly cool & smooth, and the flavour actually reflects the pouch aroma. The GB displays a more true tobacco aroma than RB, nevertheless I found myself more fascinated with the latter. In fact, the RB offers an intriguing sweet/toasty/smoky flavour which is comparable to a EM. The GB is also sweet/spicy, but in a higher scale spectrum. The quality/price factor is very remarkable. Three stars.

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Received a free sample pouch of this blend with an order for some other tobacco. Upon opening, it smells nice, has a unique note which I was unable to identify. Looks nice, dark ribbon cut with shreds of lighter browns - packs well. I anticipated an enjoyable smoke.

The smoking of it doesn't quite add up to the anticipation. It started out flavorful, a decent aromatic, but quickly became muddy-flavored, and gurgled, causing the bowl to heat up till almost unbearable to hold. I will give the remainder of the pouch to the next homeless guy at an intersection.

I received a .71 ounce pouch sample of this MacBaren offering with a recent pipe order from smokingpipes.com. Thank you very much!! The look of the tobacco after opening the pouch reminded me of Captain Black White. It smelled sweeter than CBW as well - not actually a sweeter version of CBW as the pouch aroma was different. The short ribbon cut loaded well and despite some dampness to the leaf, it took well to the match and stayed lit throughout the smoke. The initial taste was of butterscotch, and I mean very buttery. It was quite delightful. The butterscotch gave way to subtle hints of chocolate. Although the pouch description says vanilla, I didn't detect that too readily. It smoked cool for an aromatic and produced a minimal amount of moisture. I was surprised at this as it was so fresh and was fairly well cased. Although the flavors already described droped off in intensity, there was always a nice subtle sweetness remaining until the bowl's finish. There was no overt Virginia presence, but I did note a Burley-like fullness to the smoke. Never did it produce any harshness or significant dottle. Medium grey ash was present at the finish.

I like this much better than CBW. CBW, for me, has always been fairly tasteless. I never got much in the way of side- stream aroma either. Very different, however, with Mac's 7 Seas Regular. I don't smoke many blends like this one any more. The occasional bowl or two of Sillem's Musketeer or Dan's Milonga I do frequent when the mood strikes. I would certainly consider adding Mac's 7SR as well. Much better than many of the Tinderbox jarred aromatic offerings. Almost reminds me of McClelland's Tastemaster but without the chemical taste. You would never guess this to be a MacBaren's in a blind testing. Not based on personal preference, but on the tobacco's own merit, it is truly a 4 star blend. Since I don't partake of this genre much anymore, a solid 3 stars based on personal preference. It went best for me in a small-bowled, Yves St Claude, 6.5" mini churchwarden. An excellent start for newbies taking to the pipe.

grumpyoldprofessor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grumpyoldprofessor (11)

Not a bad smoke at all when taken for what it is. No it's not a complex english or subtly sweet virginia, but if what you're looking for is a smooth smoking sweet smelling aromatic this one is pretty good. I do enjoy Captain Black regular (white) and do see/smell/taste some similarities, but think this one is milder in flavoring and has almost a caramel scent that I don't get from CB.

The first 3rd of the bowl is pretty dull, not much of a sweet taste, but it gradually builds up to be a nice sweet tasting smoke by the middle of the bowl and when it ends I find myself wanting more.

So far I've smoked one 100gram tin of this and do think I'll keep some around. It could possibly replace CB White as my go to aromatic. Definitely worth a try if you're in to aromatics.

macpuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
macpuffer (17)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

first tobacco i tried after returning to the pipe after 20 odd years........lovely smell when i opened the pouch....easy to light and keep lit. For me though there was just something missing, maybe I was looking for more taste, but this just did not do it for me, it just did not live up to the pouch smell, also burnt very hot towards the bottom of the bowl.....lovely aroma though.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Buying one of my regular blends at my backup tobacconist's, I also got hold of a pouch of this thing. As of this writing, it's so new not even Mac Baren themselves have it listed on their website.

On opening the pouch, I was greeted by a yummy, sweet fragrance that has some fruity notes in the background; overall somewhat atypical of Mac Baren's other blends. The leaf is mostly dark; Black Cavendish is distinctly present, with some Burley shining through. The cut is somewhat squarish; stuffing and lighting are easy.

Once alight, things start out sweet and mellow -- not overly mild though -- with a little toastiness in there and a beautiful room note. I get a whiff of vanilla, but I may be mistaken there. Towards the very end, the taste gathers a hint of tar, but not enough to put me off smoking this blend all the way down to a fine, mottled grey ash.

Overall a relaxed, sweet and fragrant smoke. Not exactly a nicotine hammer, but highly sociable.

erkantural Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
erkantural (5)

This was quite a surprise for me. I didn't expect to find a sweet nice blend in a cheap-looking 40gr pouch like this. Hey, i was wrong. This blend is mild and sweet. It's light enough to be smoked during the day. If you push it hard, it tends to burn hot and it bites; not a surprise in that.

Can be kept in stock. It's recomended to the ones who likes mildly-sweet aromatics.

Pipe Used: Sahin Briar and Missouri Corn Cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh opened pouch

Purchased From: Istanbul Ataturk Airport

keremgulermen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
keremgulermen (10)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Its like CB White Pouches. No need to anytime, I think.

keisel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
keisel (12)
Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

Well today I smoked soap. Thank you MAC BAREN. If you look at the price, you will first think why is it so cheap? Then a brief look at the tobacco leaf and cut you understand that is just the remaining unwanted tobacco of the company sprayed with...soap?

I must inform you that i'm not an aromatic pipe smoker. But I think that even those who like this sort of tobacco will be very surprised how bad this blend is!

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I got this as a sample from my local shop when this first came out. Hmmm, a white pouch aromatic with a reference to the sea and a ship on the front. I wonder who they are trying to compete with?!?!

I was not overly impressed with this blend. The aroma and room note were exceptional but it smelled just like Captain Black White to me. It was wet and goopy just like CBW as well. However, this blend is more expensive.

If you like CBW then save your money and keep buying that. Otherwise, try a better tinned aromatic like Stanwell's Melange or Cornell and Diehl's Autumn Evening.

Southern Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Southern Smoke (5)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I'm not really an aromatic smoker and don't recommend this if you are a dedicated Latakia blend smoker...but then again if you like to smoke your Christmas cookies, then by all means I recommend this tobacco.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (33)
Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I am sure that you all remember or know of the famous Lane Limited "Captain" series-- "Regular, Gold, and Royal".Well these are the MacBaren equivalents. Good news for aromatic smokers!I'm not one of them. Really like MacBaren's almost all of their Virginian/Perique/Latakia blends and can occasionally smoke some of their Virginia/Burley blends. Sometimes(for the Virginia/Burleys, that is). Smoked Dark Twist and Club Blend for mny many years in fact. Couldn't handle the Lane tobccos at all then or MacBaren copy now.Good quality tobaccos but why does MacBarens need another aromatic? For me a qualified "Not Reccomended"since I don't smoke aromatics.If you do have a good time with these new blends.

-Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Pipedawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipedawg (16)
Extremely Mild Strong Very Mild Pleasant

I don't know what is is with Danes and crappy aromatics. But I guess there's a market for tobacco with no taste of tobacco whatsoever. This is really bad. First half of the bowl is a fight against vomiting - a really sour and artificial tasting experience....Yuk! Last half of the bowl gets a little better, and close your eyes and you might just get a hint of the fine chocolate Burley. But basically, both the Cavendish and the Burley are cased beyond recognition.

As usual the aroma is great, but I cannot for the love of God tell you what this really taste like! Oh yeah...and it leaves the back part of your mouth scorched. Can't help puffin' too hard too often, as the strength is non-existant.

A sudden urge to brush my teeth!