Dark and sensuous, Cavendish cut tobacco seasoned with natural vanilla. Very aromatic yet mild and slow burning. Imported from Denmark.

BrandTinder Box
Taste

Kribbage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kribbage (8)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

A nice aromatic...sweet, but not gooey and cloying. I liked it the first time I tried it, and then waited for the "honeymoon to be over". Never happened. Nice flavor, and you never lose the sense that you are smoking tobacco. This would be a great tobacco for the beginner!

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I love this tobacco. I first smoked this in 1979 and it was my introduction to pipe smoking. It's probably the single biggest reason I am a pipe smoker today. Lovely Vanilla flavor. Perfect room note. No problem lighting. Tasted and smelled great. A very good choice for a first time pipe smoker. Admit it, stuff like this is what got you smoking too all those years ago.

takkun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
takkun (9)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I want to like this tobacco. The pouch aroma is light on vanilla with a hint of liquorice and perhaps maple, but the room note is not quite so nice, leaving you with the unpleasant overtone of warm vinyl mixed with cotton candy. Tobacco flavor is very light, mostly overpowered by the casing, as to be expected from a bulk aromatic. The problem, however, is that it's cloyingly sweet. The top flavoring does not jump out at you like others such as Blue Note, nor does it create dissonance with the tobacco, but just comes off as sickeningly rich, much like eating far too much creme brulee. Shame, considering I like the light vanilla note. The above is a matter of my own personal taste; however, the downfall of this blend is that it's simply far too moist. After drying a 1oz sample for two straight days, my pipe is still sizzling something fierce as I get down to the bottom. I'll try drying this out and blending it with another aromatic and seeing what happens.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

You have to sip this one or risk tongue bite. Do that and you'll get a slight bit of tobacco taste along with the vanilla, and perhaps a licorice note or two. I never figured out why the word "spice" is in the name since it's not spicy in any way. I've not much to say about it except there are better and there are worse black cavendish blends, and this is as one dimensional as most of the others. Then again, that's typical of most blends in this genre. I can't give it three stars because there's nothing special about it, but if you're in the mood for a vanilla cavendish, this will do.

sagesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sagesmoke (14)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This came in a boxed set with 3 other Tinderbox aromatics I bought in 2004. While I'm not a big fan of aromatics, I still enjoy this one once in awhile. A nice vanilla, a little sweet and very forgiving to wild puffing, though I too have noticed a bite if it gets too hot. I still have 1/4 of that 2oz pouch I got back in 04, sitting in a plastic tub on my cellar shelf and while it still hasn't dried out, it is a bit less sticky than when new but it still tastes the same. It's a fun, pleasureable smoke and I get good reviews on the room note when I smoke it around the wife and daughter.

Ozzie_dad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ozzie_dad (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

There is a tinderbox right down the street from my house. It is actually my primary tobacco and pipe store. I received two ounces of captain spice with a purchase of a pipe. This tobacco dominated the smell of every other aromatic that I had in the bag. It smells very sweet, mostly a strong vanilla smell. It was a very smooth smoke and did tend to get a little hot at times. It nipped at my tongue a bit. Due to this I rate this tobacco three stars instead of four. The taste is very nice. Smooth vanilla and it fills up the room.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I have always been a fan of Captain Spice from the Tinderbox chain. Light and naturally "Vanilla" in flavor with a clean, dry burn and it won't get too hot even when well stoked.

I first tried the Captain back in the '70s when I first started smoking. I can't remember what this blend tasted like back then but a fellow member of my local pipe club smoked it almost exclusively "back in the day," and he says the sample that I took to the latest meeting tasted "just the same as always," to him.

Promote the blend to a full bird Colonal!

Boomer-Z Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boomer-Z (22)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first started smoking a pipe I started by buying a sample of every bulk tobacco they had. After smoking my way through a number of them I found myself coming back to Captain Spice. it had enough tobacco taste with just a touch of vanilla. It packed, lit, and maintained well with my noobish skill. It was what I smoked while all the other samples sat in the drawer.

I have moved on a bit now. I prefer full english blends and non-aro's for the most part. I still keep a few onces of this just because it is such an easy smoke. I do have to say now that my tastes have changed the vanilla taste is more pronounced but I am not complaining. All I can say I enjoy this stuff. If you are looking to try an aro or are looking to break ground into less flavored tobacco give this one a try. For the price it is worth taking the chance.

Enjoy!

I originally posted this review under the Captain Spice entry that is listed under Lane Ltd as it was not listed under the Tinderbox database.

I first started pipe smoking in 1976 with London Dock, then discovered CB Perkins Mutiny On The Bounty, and after a Tinder Box opened locally, I discovered Captain Spice. This was my number one blend for many years. I distinctly remember the written description on the jar and in the catalogs (which I still have several years worth) as stating, "Exclusively our own. Made especially for us in Denmark." I haven't smoked it for well over 15 years now as the local Tinderbox closed. What I remember most was an appealing black cavendish tobacco, not too sticky or goopy, little to no chemical taste, and a pleasant Vanilla room note. It was a favorite of non-smokers in the room as well. It had a modicum of tobacco taste and I recall that fact since other aromatics I tried during my early pipe smoking years were more like smoking hot air. Captain Spice was a blend a beginner could cut their teeth on without incident.

Today's version may not be the same as some reviewers have already stated. Other vanilla-based black cavendish blends I have smoked were usually too goopy and had a terrible chemical taste to them. Even though I now favor tobaccos with more tobacco flavor, if I could find the original again, I would be happy to smoke it. A solid 3 stars for Captain Spice original!