Dark and sensuous, Cavendish cut tobacco seasoned with natural vanilla. Very aromatic yet mild and slow burning. Imported from Denmark.

BrandTinder Box
ContentsBlack Cavendish
FlavoringVanilla
PackagingPouch
Strength
Taste

3.1
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

You have to sip this one or risk tongue bite. Do that and you'll get a slight bit of tobacco taste along with the vanilla, and perhaps a licorice note or two. I never figured out why the word "spice" is in the name since it's not spicy in any way, but there is a slight cinnamon and nutmeg hit. Has little nicotine and is one dimensional. Then again, that's typical of most blends in this genre Burns clean at a moderate pace with a consistent flavor. Leaves some moisture in the bowl, and requires a few relights. An all day smoke. I can't give it three stars because there's nothing special about it, but if you're in the mood for a vanilla cavendish, this will do.

Kribbage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kribbage (32)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

A nice aromatic...sweet, but not gooey and cloying. I liked it the first time I tried it, and then waited for the "honeymoon to be over". Never happened. Nice flavor, and you never lose the sense that you are smoking tobacco. This would be a great tobacco for the beginner!

Desert Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Desert Piper (1)

Now keep in mind this comes from a complete novice. It's black, moist not gooey, medium cut. I didn't notice any vanilla sent from the plastic bag. It packs well, took a few times to get going. The initial taste wasn't pleasing. It tasted like stale tobacco. As I got more into it though it had a nice sweet taste and smoked cool even when hitting it hard. No bite and it left my goatee with a pleasant smell of vanilla. It's better than Captain Black White. I will buy this again.

Pipe Used: Bones briar pipe

Age When Smoked: 48

Purchased From: The Tinder Box, Palm Springs Ca

Similar Blends: Lane 1Q, Captain Black White.

Ronv69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ronv69 (3)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

A light and not unpleasant aro. Also, not a particularly satisfying smoke. I used a Radice poker with a very large bowl. At the top I could taste the light vanilla flavor and a couple of others that I can't identify. Halfway down I expected the tobacco to come to the forefront, however what I got was most steam. Not a bad smoke, and if you just smoke out of habit it would be a good all day smoke. I didn't get any bite, but I just can't recommend it 2/5 stars.

Pipe Used: Radice Clear Poker

Age When Smoked: Less than a year.

Purchased From: A sample from a friend

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I have always been a fan of Captain Spice from the Tinderbox chain. Light and naturally "Vanilla" in flavor with a clean, dry burn and it won't get too hot even when well stoked.

I first tried the Captain back in the '70s when I first started smoking. I can't remember what this blend tasted like back then but a fellow member of my local pipe club smoked it almost exclusively "back in the day," and he says the sample that I took to the latest meeting tasted "just the same as always," to him.

Promote the blend to a full bird Colonal!

I originally posted this review under the Captain Spice entry that is listed under Lane Ltd as it was not listed under the Tinderbox database.

I first started pipe smoking in 1976 with London Dock, then discovered CB Perkins Mutiny On The Bounty, and after a Tinder Box opened locally, I discovered Captain Spice. This was my number one blend for many years. I distinctly remember the written description on the jar and in the catalogs (which I still have several years worth) as stating, "Exclusively our own. Made especially for us in Denmark." I haven't smoked it for well over 15 years now as the local Tinderbox closed. What I remember most was an appealing black cavendish tobacco, not too sticky or goopy, little to no chemical taste, and a pleasant Vanilla room note. It was a favorite of non-smokers in the room as well. It had a modicum of tobacco taste and I recall that fact since other aromatics I tried during my early pipe smoking years were more like smoking hot air. Captain Spice was a blend a beginner could cut their teeth on without incident.

Today's version may not be the same as some reviewers have already stated. Other vanilla-based black cavendish blends I have smoked were usually too goopy and had a terrible chemical taste to them. Even though I now favor tobaccos with more tobacco flavor, if I could find the original again, I would be happy to smoke it. A solid 3 stars for Captain Spice original!

curttuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
curttuck (12)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

It has a very earthy, woodsy, almost pet shop or fertilizer smell, which I really like. Dark and creamy vanilla notes. Slightly fruity. One of the best aromatics I've ever tried, although if I smoke too much black cavendish I break out into hives at night, so I rarely smoke it. If you like aromatics, I would definitely recommend this one.

Pipe Used: Paronelli 53 Briarwood

Purchased From: Tinderbox

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (136)

Very well-behaved aromatic. No goo or goop. One light and go. Pleasant aroma in the bag translates to a pleasant smoking experience - good Cavendish tobacco flavor predominates, with a background vanilla bean flavor. Cavendish flavor becomes more intense as you work through the bowl - never objectionable. An easy all-day smoke for the aromatic Cavendish fan.

Pipe Used: MM

Purchased From: Tinder Box, Mishawaka, IN

sagesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sagesmoke (14)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This came in a boxed set with 3 other Tinderbox aromatics I bought in 2004. While I'm not a big fan of aromatics, I still enjoy this one once in awhile. A nice vanilla, a little sweet and very forgiving to wild puffing, though I too have noticed a bite if it gets too hot. I still have 1/4 of that 2oz pouch I got back in 04, sitting in a plastic tub on my cellar shelf and while it still hasn't dried out, it is a bit less sticky than when new but it still tastes the same. It's a fun, pleasureable smoke and I get good reviews on the room note when I smoke it around the wife and daughter.