An American-style English blend containing 50% white burley.

BrandJon's Pipe Shop
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
3.8
kppeterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kppeterson (12)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

There is something very old-timey and familar about Garvey's Balkan that I can't put my finger on but at the same time I've never smoked anything quite like it. It's not a traditional Balkan and much smoother than most American-English blends I've smoked. Garvey's is VERY lightly aromatic (cocoa/vanilla?) in both aroma and flavor and I suspect it is from the burley. That said it doesn't funk up the pipe like most aromatic and there is little to no tongue bite. When I first tried this I was on a anti burley tirade and thinking it had no place in a English/Balkan so I put it in a mason jar and didn't revisit for almost 4 years. I don't detect much latakia or orientals and the burley takes the lead. The burley is incredibly smooth and not at all like a more powerful, edgy C&D American-English blends. This is easily an all day smoke I can smoke bowls of this back to back with ease (FWIW I'm sometime very sensitive to nicotine). I'm not sure how to classify this though I'd lean towards American-English because of the burley. Smokes incredibly cool, creamy, lightly sweet and nutty. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Cobs, Stanwell, Laughing Moon, Guildhall

Age When Smoked: 4

Purchased From: Jon's Pipe Shop

Country Doc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Doc (20)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Balkan notes, mellowed and sweetened by the burley. Smoky but with a sweetness and almost a nut-caramel flavor that I find very appealing. Nice creamy smoke. Very docile in the bowl. Always delivers what you're looking for when you strike the match.

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (36)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This was the first non aromatic that they recommended to me at Jon's. It has a strong vanilla note to it and I found it to be excellent. Though I have tried other blends, both at Jon's and other places, I keep going back to this one. I agree With the other review that this is probably their smoking mixture with a bit more white burley. It smokes fairly dry.

Pipey McGee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipey McGee (6)

Although Garvey's Balkan is an American English blend containing both latakia and burley, I have a hard time comparing it to other examples of the genre like Spilman Mixture or Dr. Bradley (both from Iwan Ries). It follows the basic structure of this type of mixture, but is also its own unique creation. This is one of the mixtures that Jon's blends in store, and you can really tell that the leaf is high quality.

Garvey's Balkan is very smooth and creamy in the bowl, and has an aroma that smells a lot like an old-time pipe shop (actually it smells a lot like Jon's itself). It's really an effortless smoke and I could see it as being an everyday mixture. It's not as complex as many standard English mixtures, but it's also not boring. I feel that it's beauty lies in its simplicity.

I suspect that Garvey's Balkan uses Smoking Mixture as its base, but has the addition of a large amount of white burley. At times I get faint hints of sweetness in the aroma, which makes me wonder if the burley used is something like BLWB. But then, this is just pure speculation on my part and knowledge of the ingredients would not detract from such a fine blend.