Tobaccos for some of your all time favorites that have been previously discontinued. Definitely worth a look!

Blended ByCarl McCallister
Blend TypeScottish
ContentsCavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish
Strength
Taste

3.1
JimInks (2040)

In both the Match and the original, the sweet Cyprian latakia is a condiment, but aids the Oriental/Turkish in regard to the smokey, woodsy quality of the blend. The spice and buttery sweetness from the Orientals is lightly moderate. The Virginia is citrusy and grassy with a touch of earth as it forms the base of the blend. The brown cavendish amplifies the sweetness and adds a slight nuttiness. There's a slight mustiness present, and it has a nice, light creamy taste. The differences are that the Virginia in the original is a little grassier, a shade less sweeter with a touch more spice from the Orientals. The Match burns a little slower and cooler. Both burn clean with very little moisture left in the bowl, and need few relights. Has a mild nic-hit, and won't bite. Has a pleasant after taste, and can be an all day smoke. It’s hard to tell one from the other unless you are working to decide which is which. I gave three stars to the original.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Nice try, Altadis!

Yes, similar to Dunhill's famous 965. Identical? No.

As is the case with the original, there is some strength here as well as volumes of creamy smoke (often found in unsweetened Black Cavendish). A little rougher than its namesake and not quite as deep in flavor, this is still a good smoke for those who lament the loss of one of the all-time great tobaccos.

rhonn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhonn (1)
Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

What can I say about a tobacco I've smoked for over 30 years? I try other blends from time to time, but always come back to 965. There's 965, and all other pipe tobaccos. The only second-place blend I have every smoked is Balkan Saseini, but even that is a distant second. One of the proofs is that 965 left the market and demand brought it back. I love 965 for six reasons: for an English blend, fabulous sweet aroma -- from the tobacco and not flavorings -- not too weak, not too strong, wonderful nutty taste, burns great, and its calming effect -- like a well-made martini. Wish I could give it six stars. If you are a non-aromatic English blend smoker and are smoking other tobaccos.....why??

PIE-EYED-PIPER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PIE-EYED-PIPER (20)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE: 03 SEPT 2011 – After finishing another 2 oz. sample, I can now safely say that this is NOT as close to the original Dunhill 965 as I previously rated it to be. The strength is a lot milder and the flavor, though it may have that hint of sweetness, is milder and not as pronounced like the original Dunhill 965.

Does it warrant a down grade on the recommendation? In comparison to the original Dunhill 965, I would say definitely down grade the recommendation. However, as a tobacco, it can still hold its own. Until further review the recommendation remains as is. However, I did down grade the strength and taste.

12/12/2010 - I got a sample of this tobacco last week along with my order of a few tins of original Dunhill blends (one of them being My Mixture 965). Without going into much details, comparing this to Dunhill's 965, I did notice that this blend has a hint of sweetness to it.

Is it similar to Dunhill? Personally, I can say that this is close. It's a good alternative (not a replacement) to the original Dunhill 965. Again, as I've stated in one of my reviews, only a Dunhill can be a Dunhill. It may not be similar to the original, but it's darn tootin' close and I LIKE IT.

Thatstar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatstar (2)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant

Surprised by the bliss factor. Full flavour, no flowery elements. The nose is so strong that it might give pause to someone wanting an an aromatic experience, and very different from a an American idea of tobacco. Once it gets going, really beautiful and shockingly satisfiying. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to get the most out of smoking tobacco ( which you shouldn't do... It's bad you know... But if you're going to do it, do it well). I was amazed at how superb this old chestnut actually is. Wild full flavour Eastern blend with a very relaxing buzz. Burns dry right out of the tin, from top to bottom, no gurgle. A bit bitey but that's the price of admission. A great smoke in my book.

Pipe Used: Nothing fancy, broken in briar

Purchased From: Baracoa Toccanonist in London Ontario

SmoothGentleman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmoothGentleman (5)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

A darn good blend! The cavendish gives a nice sweetness to the blend. It's smoky, woodsy and sweet. The taste is consistent throughout the bowl, the burn rate is just right and there is no bite at all. I highly recommend to anyone who wants a sweet english blend that is balanced and not an aromatic.

Pipe Used: MM Great Dane Egg

Age When Smoked: Less than a week

Capn Jimbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capn Jimbo (24)

Still relatively new to pipes, but not all that new. Call me an intermediate. English is an acquired taste like a good Islay single malt - Iove the latter and am beginning to love the former, especially in what I would call a Balkan, which this absolutely is. The lat and oriental are so beautifully balanced that one is tempted to almost call this oriental forward but it is not. Neither dominates but are actually synergistic with one another, with the latakia indeed adding woodsy tones to the oriental. The unflavored cavendish is credited with the smooth, slightly sweet and creamy smoke, which is just marvelous. There was sense of warmth and a touch of nuttiness as well.

Another reviewer called this blend pleasant and calming and I can assure you he is exactly right. What a completely lovely effect with the components all working together in great harmony. As Goldilock's porridge - not too hot, not too cold, just exactly right! Indeed until the bowl was done, the latakia did not become apparent until the aftertaste left behind. Lovely, simply lovely.

Pipe Used: Meer

Age When Smoked: Bulk unknown but seems fresh

Purchased From: Tobacconist

Similar Blends: Bosporus Cruise.

I've never smoked the version of 965 that this is a supposed match too, but I can say it has very little resemblance to the current version.

The Latakia and Orientals are somewhat balanced and the Cavendish provides a strong, sweet base. While this is a tasty and enjoyable smoke it seems to be lacking in fullness. As reviewer CJBas stated it's just a touch thin. It's still a good smoke though. 3 stars.

Pipe Used: MM Freehand, MM General

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

fustillat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fustillat (6)

I'm not familiar with the original blend, but this is a fantastic one that deserves much more recognition. It burns well with a negligible bite and a mouth-watering array of aromas - all this for such a good price.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a nice Lat/Oriental blend, each about equal in importance, the Latakia really being upfront and the Orientals giving all the other notes. When I start a bowl, it seems all Latakia for the first quarter, but after that the Orientals taken equal time. Like most blends with Cav (at least for me), it can bite a little, but unlike some it's easy to stop just by slowing down a bit. If you like some measure of balance between the Latakia and Orientals, and aren't looking for a powerhouse of a blend, this is worth trying

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (183)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is very similar to the Dunhill's Blend,but is not identical. Comparison: the Original 965 is weaker in Nicotine,but stronger in taste,flavour and sweetness. Therefore,is a very significative, more than excelent tobacco mixture,between the betters.

kdbarr63 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kdbarr63 (4)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

This is an excellent tobacco. I have never had the original but if it is better than this then it is out of this world! Easy on the tongue with lots of thick smoke and flavor. Not too much of any component in the blend. The cavendish goes really well with the oriental and latakia.

Do yourself a favor and get some of this !

CJBas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJBas (26)

It's been several years since I last smoked some of Dunhill's 965, so to compare the two I'll have to depend on a no-doubt fallible memory. I've read that the sense of smell, and the memory of smells, is the most accurate of our memory sensations and I must say that I remember Dunhill's version of this as being richer and fuller though there is a family resemblance. Dunhill, if I remember correctly, pushed the latakia until is was almost, but not quite, too much. Altadis, evidently being on the safe side, does not push it quite to the limit.

Altadis' version does have a similar creaminess to is and does have the underlying sweetness that Dunhill's had. But this tobacco seems somehow thinner than Dunhill's; an honest attempt to come up with something similar but never quite willing to push the envelope enough.

It is however, a pretty good tasting English blend. Altadis makes several pretty good English blends and this is one of them. I've tried 3 of their other attempts to replicate Dunhill English blends and they seem rather timid, like this one does. They are all quite good, and if any one of them was the only English I could ever get I'd gladly smoke them. But Altadis makes better English blends of their own, much better.

May, 2010. This boend grows on me. The more I smoke it the more I like it. Try it with coffee and chickory if you havea chance. It's like they are made fof one another. This probably won't be my go-to smoke becauseit does require a person's attention to fully enjoy it. but I will be keeping some of this around for times when I can devote my full attention to it.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (113)

Not a match by any stretch of the imagination. Not horrible, but this tobacco feels like a cheap OTC blend. For starters, it contains a fair amount of sweetened cavendish as opposed to unsweetened cavendish, which is present in the original 965 only in small quantities. Secondly, the latakia is barely present and I cannot detect any orientals, not that they are not there. Thanks good I only bought 2oz to sample it.

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (52)

This is a very good blending of the described tobaccos, it is a very nice mild English with a good hint of Latakia but the Orientals seem to play the major role, the cavendish is slightly detectable ( which I prefer). It has a moderate amount of smokiness and the nic hit is light. I would put this as a good all day smoke for those who do but the aroma will not be a big crowd pleaser. As for being a good match to the original, yes, but if you are big Dunhill fan you will not agree. I personally have hard time supporting current Dunhill due to the companies direction of disassociating themselves from tobacco. The only negative comment I think I could have about the blend is the the cut could use a little more attention, some of the strands were on the long and leathery side.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Autograph no filter

Similar Blends: Dunhill 965 (as advertised).

toddsmith7378 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
toddsmith7378 (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Being on a budget and reading these reviews, i just popped for a bit of this due to the price point and some respected reviewers claiming it's as good or close to the real thing. I don't know because I haven't had real 965.

I have and do love all the Frog Morton's and McClelland's 5110 which has given me a little experience and enjoyment in the realm of heavier Latakia blends.

When I came to this tobacco, I saw that it had my fave ingredient, but in lighter amounts with other tobacco's more in the forefront than the mixture's I have enjoyed previously. However, this 965 mixture is widely popular, so I had to try it.

I've smoked it for a couple of weeks and my experience is that it has a brown sweetness, some describe it as nutty, which I find to be prevalent also. This tobacco has a lot of differing flavors. I get mostly nutty, but an almost campfire smoke darkness comes in at the bottom end at times. Only very lightly sweet, like a nutty deep sweetness carries into the smoke.

On a few smokes, I felt I was losing flavoring at some points and got some mustiness, then admittedly cleaned my pipe. Wow, that made a huge difference. After a thorough pipe cleaning, this tobacco's flavoring roared as my first bowl. All the flavorings I mentioned earlier had much more depth and nuance and no mustiness was present. I'd encourage one and all to make sure to be smoking this stuff in a fairly clean bowl as a musty pipe can cause much of the flavoring to become muted. That's my experience.

I'm not one to have a complete favorite amongst my tobacco's. I love the dark english blends, and I really love some other blends that have a lot of Perique. This one might be just the best all around tasting though because I know this flavor is a combination of the tobacco's in the mix, not just a dominating one. The combined totals of the tobacco's here yields something special that I have to have on hand. There's something about that nutty sweetness that I have to have at least once daily.

If I had to have only one tobacco, this would very likely be it. It's a good all day type smoke for my palette.

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (46)

This was a bit of a damaged sample which I purchased in April of this year from a tobacconist in the Quad Cities who shall remain nameless...Tobacco was dry to the point that it's a wonder that it didn't spontaneously combust...Brought it home, re-hydrated it, jarred it and let it sit for 3 to 3 1/2 mos...After smoking the sample, found that I really had to fight with this through the first 1/4 to 1/3 of the bowl...I mean it sunk its teeth into my tongue, growled and wouldn't let go...After the initial battle, it settled down to be a decent smoke until about the last 1/4 of the bowl when it turned into a quite good smoke...Don't know if this had to do with the damage it suffered from being let to dry out initially or if this is just the way it is...Will re-order another sample, but this time from Smokingpipes...Stay tuned for further review.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (98)

The original was a tobacco you could smoke in the morning,noon, and night and never get tired of it. It was, in my humble opinion, a very adictive blend that just had you coming back for more. This match blend is very close but doesn't seem as nutty as the original. Also, the match blend is a larger cut of tobacco. The match is very good.

TonyC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TonyC (13)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I have moved my review to the proper tobacco, as what I smoked was most definitely NOT the "real deal". Please forgive my earlier naivete:

"I bought this (bulk) at a shop in town when I was craving a smoke after my first anniversary dinner. As I didn't bring a pipe with me, I also picked up a MM cob to pack. I was very excited about finding/trying this classic blend, since it's becoming more and more difficult to find.

This was somewhat early in my re-introduction to pipe smoking, and I was unprepared for the nicotine rush which followed. It nearly knocked me down, had me wobbling weak-kneed down Main Street, and when we got home, was put in the back drawer for a while. When I found the courage to come back to it, I tried blending it with other varieties, to help tame the beast. I find it adds a nice smokiness to a bowl, with a rich earthy/nutty flavor.

It slowly grew more palatable with time, but I would only recommed this for those who crave a big nicotine hit, and enjoy a full-bodied smoke."

As you can see, even this replica is a powerful, full-flavored English. Since this was written, I've grown a bit in my tastes for tobacco, and my tolerance to Vitamin N, both of which would change my reactions to, but not necessarily my review of, this blend.

TonyC

Behindtheclouds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Behindtheclouds (9)
Medium Mild Medium Unnoticeable

I do not have enough experience with the real deal Dunhill 965 to make a realistic comparison. But, this stuff is not bad. I could not possibly give it the highest of recommendations, but it is fairly flavorful, smokes fairly well, is relatively inexpensive as a bulk, etc. Therefore, I guess, I recommend it!

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco was my gentle introduction to English blends, and it is probably best described as an easy crossover mixture. It encases the smoky Latakia in aromatic sweetness, making it palatable to a newcomer.

First things first: I didn't know any better at the time, but this is nothing whatsoever like 965. There is no doubt this is a lesser tobacco than the original MM965 that inspired it; indeed, the two tobaccos aren't much alike at all.

All that notwithstanding, it is an enjoyable smoke. The Latakia content is just right but, unlike many other Englishes, this blend is quite sweet--sweetened Cavendish, I assume?- -sweet enough it seems almost like an aromatic. Dunhill's brown cavendish is only slightly sweet, but this stuff is positively sugary. But it packs just enough of the goods, too: lovers of traditional Englishes will find peaty, smoky Latakia in abundance.

The tobacco provides glorious clouds of fragrant smoke, smoky Latakia, and easy companionship. It does not provide a substitute for Dunhill, but adjust your expectations and you just might enjoy it.

I loved this stuff when I first smoked it; returning to it now I see I have probably outgrown it. More experienced palates than mine will probably become bored with this quickly.

Smoking-To-Port Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking-To-Port (13)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I totally agree with the last reviewer.Only bought one ounce to sample, I find it flat and bland.I have not tried to blend with English Luxury{a blend I really enjoy}but black cav works just as well.Not horrid by any stretch but not worth buying again.

Uncle Arthur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uncle Arthur (15)

I gave this blend a shot with my last order from pipesandcigars.com. It was there. That's about the best I can say for it. Not bad not great . I ended up mixing what was left of the pound I got with the five pounds of PS English Luxury that I also ordered. Just a fairly decent middle of the road blend. Not a copy of a pipe tobacco icon by any means.