Tobaccos for some of your all time favorites that have been previously discontinued. Definitely worth a look!

ContentsCavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish
Strength
Taste
3.1
rhonn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhonn (1)
Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

What can I say about a tobacco I've smoked for over 30 years? I try other blends from time to time, but always come back to 965. There's 965, and all other pipe tobaccos. The only second-place blend I have every smoked is Balkan Saseini, but even that is a distant second. One of the proofs is that 965 left the market and demand brought it back. I love 965 for six reasons: for an English blend, fabulous sweet aroma -- from the tobacco and not flavorings -- not too weak, not too strong, wonderful nutty taste, burns great, and its calming effect -- like a well-made martini. Wish I could give it six stars. If you are a non-aromatic English blend smoker and are smoking other tobaccos.....why??

PIE-EYED-PIPER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PIE-EYED-PIPER (20)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE: 03 SEPT 2011 – After finishing another 2 oz. sample, I can now safely say that this is NOT as close to the original Dunhill 965 as I previously rated it to be. The strength is a lot milder and the flavor, though it may have that hint of sweetness, is milder and not as pronounced like the original Dunhill 965.

Does it warrant a down grade on the recommendation? In comparison to the original Dunhill 965, I would say definitely down grade the recommendation. However, as a tobacco, it can still hold its own. Until further review the recommendation remains as is. However, I did down grade the strength and taste.

12/12/2010 - I got a sample of this tobacco last week along with my order of a few tins of original Dunhill blends (one of them being My Mixture 965). Without going into much details, comparing this to Dunhill's 965, I did notice that this blend has a hint of sweetness to it.

Is it similar to Dunhill? Personally, I can say that this is close. It's a good alternative (not a replacement) to the original Dunhill 965. Again, as I've stated in one of my reviews, only a Dunhill can be a Dunhill. It may not be similar to the original, but it's darn tootin' close and I LIKE IT.

fustillat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fustillat (6)

I'm not familiar with the original blend, but this is a fantastic one that deserves much more recognition. It burns well with a negligible bite and a mouth-watering array of aromas - all this for such a good price.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a nice Lat/Oriental blend, each about equal in importance, the Latakia really being upfront and the Orientals giving all the other notes. When I start a bowl, it seems all Latakia for the first quarter, but after that the Orientals taken equal time. Like most blends with Cav (at least for me), it can bite a little, but unlike some it's easy to stop just by slowing down a bit. If you like some measure of balance between the Latakia and Orientals, and aren't looking for a powerhouse of a blend, this is worth trying

kdbarr63 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kdbarr63 (4)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

This is an excellent tobacco. I have never had the original but if it is better than this then it is out of this world! Easy on the tongue with lots of thick smoke and flavor. Not too much of any component in the blend. The cavendish goes really well with the oriental and latakia.

Do yourself a favor and get some of this !

CJBas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJBas (26)

It's been several years since I last smoked some of Dunhill's 965, so to compare the two I'll have to depend on a no-doubt fallible memory. I've read that the sense of smell, and the memory of smells, is the most accurate of our memory sensations and I must say that I remember Dunhill's version of this as being richer and fuller though there is a family resemblance. Dunhill, if I remember correctly, pushed the latakia until is was almost, but not quite, too much. Altadis, evidently being on the safe side, does not push it quite to the limit.

Altadis' version does have a similar creaminess to is and does have the underlying sweetness that Dunhill's had. But this tobacco seems somehow thinner than Dunhill's; an honest attempt to come up with something similar but never quite willing to push the envelope enough.

It is however, a pretty good tasting English blend. Altadis makes several pretty good English blends and this is one of them. I've tried 3 of their other attempts to replicate Dunhill English blends and they seem rather timid, like this one does. They are all quite good, and if any one of them was the only English I could ever get I'd gladly smoke them. But Altadis makes better English blends of their own, much better.

May, 2010. This boend grows on me. The more I smoke it the more I like it. Try it with coffee and chickory if you havea chance. It's like they are made fof one another. This probably won't be my go-to smoke becauseit does require a person's attention to fully enjoy it. but I will be keeping some of this around for times when I can devote my full attention to it.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Nice try, Altadis!

Yes, similar to Dunhill's famous 965. Identical? No.

As is the case with the original, there is some strength here as well as volumes of creamy smoke (often found in unsweetened Black Cavendish). A little rougher than its namesake and not quite as deep in flavor, this is still a good smoke for those who lament the loss of one of the all-time great tobaccos.

I've never smoked the version of 965 that this is a supposed match too, but I can say it has very little resemblance to the current version.

The Latakia and Orientals are somewhat balanced and the Cavendish provides a strong, sweet base. While this is a tasty and enjoyable smoke it seems to be lacking in fullness. As reviewer CJBas stated it's just a touch thin. It's still a good smoke though. 3 stars.

Pipe Used: MM Freehand, MM General

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (43)

This was a bit of a damaged sample which I purchased in April of this year from a tobacconist in the Quad Cities who shall remain nameless...Tobacco was dry to the point that it's a wonder that it didn't spontaneously combust...Brought it home, re-hydrated it, jarred it and let it sit for 3 to 3 1/2 mos...After smoking the sample, found that I really had to fight with this through the first 1/4 to 1/3 of the bowl...I mean it sunk its teeth into my tongue, growled and wouldn't let go...After the initial battle, it settled down to be a decent smoke until about the last 1/4 of the bowl when it turned into a quite good smoke...Don't know if this had to do with the damage it suffered from being let to dry out initially or if this is just the way it is...Will re-order another sample, but this time from Smokingpipes...Stay tuned for further review.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)

The original was a tobacco you could smoke in the morning,noon, and night and never get tired of it. It was, in my humble opinion, a very adictive blend that just had you coming back for more. This match blend is very close but doesn't seem as nutty as the original. Also, the match blend is a larger cut of tobacco. The match is very good.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (152)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is very similar to the Dunhill's Blend,but is not identical. Comparison: the Original 965 is weaker in Nicotine,but stronger in taste,flavour and sweetness. Therefore,is a very significative, more than excelent tobacco mixture,between the betters.

Russell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Russell (62)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Update 10/20/2010:

Just noticed that the original Dunhill brand tobaccos are now listed again at iwanries.com

Hallelujah! My reserves of the originals are running mighty low these days...

---

Popped a tin of the real 965 out of my cabinet, got the last mason jar left of bulk 965 from tinderbox's last stock I bought in a hurry (when I heard it was discontinued), and sat down to compare it with a couple ounces of this sold under the brand name "Consolidated."

I loaded alternate bowls into a Peterson gold mounted supreme shape 338, a smallish pipe in which I could more readily detect any nuances without it getting overpowered at the end of the bowl.

The altadis copy is made of wider cut strands with more vivid contrast, but they both smell nearly the same, though the altadis was not nearly as aged and smelled slightly sweet with less fermentation.

The copy simply reminds me of a far less aged 965 with smoke that is easy to get nipped with, and a little less flavor. It is however, as in the tin note, sweeter due to a thicker brown cavendish (I picked out some strands and took a look with a magnifying glass), and to me, this is a welcome change of pace.

Get some age on it for six months, or preferably a year, and it should be nearly, if not almost identical to the old Dunhill 965 at least in taste.

I may find this more to my liking than the original 965 after it is well aged, but only time will tell.

TonyC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TonyC (13)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I have moved my review to the proper tobacco, as what I smoked was most definitely NOT the "real deal". Please forgive my earlier naivete:

"I bought this (bulk) at a shop in town when I was craving a smoke after my first anniversary dinner. As I didn't bring a pipe with me, I also picked up a MM cob to pack. I was very excited about finding/trying this classic blend, since it's becoming more and more difficult to find.

This was somewhat early in my re-introduction to pipe smoking, and I was unprepared for the nicotine rush which followed. It nearly knocked me down, had me wobbling weak-kneed down Main Street, and when we got home, was put in the back drawer for a while. When I found the courage to come back to it, I tried blending it with other varieties, to help tame the beast. I find it adds a nice smokiness to a bowl, with a rich earthy/nutty flavor.

It slowly grew more palatable with time, but I would only recommed this for those who crave a big nicotine hit, and enjoy a full-bodied smoke."

As you can see, even this replica is a powerful, full-flavored English. Since this was written, I've grown a bit in my tastes for tobacco, and my tolerance to Vitamin N, both of which would change my reactions to, but not necessarily my review of, this blend.

TonyC

Behindtheclouds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Behindtheclouds (9)
Medium Mild Medium Unnoticeable

I do not have enough experience with the real deal Dunhill 965 to make a realistic comparison. But, this stuff is not bad. I could not possibly give it the highest of recommendations, but it is fairly flavorful, smokes fairly well, is relatively inexpensive as a bulk, etc. Therefore, I guess, I recommend it!

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco was my gentle introduction to English blends, and it is probably best described as an easy crossover mixture. It encases the smoky Latakia in aromatic sweetness, making it palatable to a newcomer.

First things first: I didn't know any better at the time, but this is nothing whatsoever like 965. There is no doubt this is a lesser tobacco than the original MM965 that inspired it; indeed, the two tobaccos aren't much alike at all.

All that notwithstanding, it is an enjoyable smoke. The Latakia content is just right but, unlike many other Englishes, this blend is quite sweet--sweetened Cavendish, I assume?- -sweet enough it seems almost like an aromatic. Dunhill's brown cavendish is only slightly sweet, but this stuff is positively sugary. But it packs just enough of the goods, too: lovers of traditional Englishes will find peaty, smoky Latakia in abundance.

The tobacco provides glorious clouds of fragrant smoke, smoky Latakia, and easy companionship. It does not provide a substitute for Dunhill, but adjust your expectations and you just might enjoy it.

I loved this stuff when I first smoked it; returning to it now I see I have probably outgrown it. More experienced palates than mine will probably become bored with this quickly.

Smoking-To-Port Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking-To-Port (13)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I totally agree with the last reviewer.Only bought one ounce to sample, I find it flat and bland.I have not tried to blend with English Luxury{a blend I really enjoy}but black cav works just as well.Not horrid by any stretch but not worth buying again.

Uncle Arthur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uncle Arthur (15)

I gave this blend a shot with my last order from pipesandcigars.com. It was there. That's about the best I can say for it. Not bad not great . I ended up mixing what was left of the pound I got with the five pounds of PS English Luxury that I also ordered. Just a fairly decent middle of the road blend. Not a copy of a pipe tobacco icon by any means.