A long time ago an old customer who was never happy with his pipe tobacco, finally found the right blend. He walked in the shop and said, "I want more of that horse shit tobacco you sold me." This light English tobacco, Merde de Cheval Blend, was born.

BrandF & K
ContentsVirginia, Latakia
Packaging1.5 oz. tin
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (25)

Opening a one year old tin of F&K's Merde de Cheval revealed an even mix of brown and black ribbons with some light yellow ribbons scattered throughout. It was a bit too moist for me, but I didn't see the need in drying it out further. It had an alternating sweet and sour smell in the tin along with cedar smoke, and the sour smell seemed to dominate.

An unlit sip revealed hay like taste from the Virginia's and the charring light brought a dark molasses like sweetness with some light smoky flavor. Overall there was a very light latakia smokiness with a dark musty hay and molasses flavor that bordered on what I imagine curing silage to taste like. The last third of most bowls had a pronounced, but not overwhelming sour note, and it seemed to come alive in conical shaped, tall bowls. The room note was mild, but definitely not a crowd magnate.

I liked this blend over all; it was a good easy mild smoke with little going on, to me at least. It was a good break from some of the stronger English blends I have been smoking in the last few months. I would recommend this to someone who wanted a light, no frills, Virginia-Latakia blend with little expectations for this to be something it is not. I will probably be buying some more in the near future to give my palate a break from time to time.

Brekken Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brekken (11)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

As many others, the name drew me to this one. We have a stable with 10 horses, 4 beeing ours and i thought this would be a fun thing to smoke around the stables. However this doesent only have a funny name, its a well tasting well behaving Va/Latakia blend. Smell out of the tin is amazing, the taste is not quite as amazing, but it is good.

Recommended to anyone!

-Ole

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

For my palate at least this is a prime example of pH gone terribly wrong; far too alkaline, so much so that one can barely taste anything and the bite was awful. Possibly a bad batch regardless no further tins required.

Disappointing, the nose from the tin is that of mild autumn leaves and slight smoke from the Latakia. I was hoping that would carry through when combusting.

Unfortunately this cannot even be gifted out, subjecting a friend to the pH assault is bordering on charges being laid. The tin was emptied into the composting box.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The aroma from the tin is soft and clean, Virginia and Latakia balanced nicely. Very sweet and mild, citrus, rubber, molasses, wood smoke, and dried figs. Interesting but quite mild aroma.

Packing and lighting is a breeze.

Disappointment sets in as I light up. A passable but dull Latakia blend. With sour, vegetal flavors that remind me of bundle cigars (cheap). And an unpleasant funky taste like the smell of a dirty, algae-infested aquarium is persistent throughout. I don't think the tobaccos were properly aged, the green, sour-bitter flavors ruin the whole thing. Oddly enough the room note is quite nice. (Go figure!)

I think the idea here is the tin itself is the appeal. It's a conversation piece, clever and cool. like those old giant souvenir cigars. So put it on a shelf, show it to your friends, just don't smoke it.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)

Well the recommendation concept is a "absolutely" relative, so I rated this as highly recommended for the english blends fans. It has an obvious smell of latakia in the tin, almost as obvious as Presbyterian mixture, but the taste and the smoking experience are milder and balanced. From my point of view this is quality tobacco, well balanced, no bite at all, reasonable nicotine level.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

An excellent easy-to-smoke tobacco with thrilling taste and room note. It goes well at any time of day.

My rate: 5.0

stephenspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stephenspring (13)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

When I saw "Merde de Cheval" I couldn't resist buying it since I 've lived in Cajun, Louisiana, and speak a bit of French. Literally translated, the name is "horse _hit" in English. Well, this is pretty damn good horse _shit! Nice and mild, nice flavor, and it was a great smoke during a pretty hectic day. I used a Savinelli De Luxe yachtsman pipe to taste it. Also, the latakia is NOT overpowering. It's subtle and combined with the virginia it makes a very nice smoke. So for me, I would rename the brand, Ca c'est Bon Merde de Cheval!

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Curiosity got me and I popped my tin and smoked it twice today. I bought it just because of the name, and I'm sure many others did too. It's really pretty good, but not worth the premium it seems to be going for. Maybe they will overproduce trying to cover the initial demand, and the retailers will lower the price when demand goes down. Nevertheless, I don't feel too ripped off since this is a nice mild English (really, Scottish, I tend to think, though I am no expert) without the slightest hint of harshness or bite. There might be a slight topping; fruit maybe? I can't really tell because whatever it is, it is mild. Latakia is not pronounced, so be warned if you are a Latakia-head. This seems like one I will enjoy puffing heavily on, as it puts out lots of smoke yet burns evenly.

1-19-11 Downgrading to two stars. That's really all it deserves. Not horrible, but not turning my crank either. Just so-so. Reminds me of several forgettable bulk blends...