A predominately pluggy, square cut Burley blend with a touch of sun cured tobacco. A mild, slow burning, straight tobacco smoke.

Blend TypeBurley Based
CutCube
Strength
Taste
Phantom55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phantom55 (29)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This is a classic burley plug cut, and it the most pure of it's type I have ever smoked. A couple other popular ones are cased or topped, although they don't say they are. This one has little, if anything on it, just pure burley flavor. I have smoked almost two pounds of this stuff, so I obviously like it. It does come very dry, so I give it a light mist of distilled water before jarring it. This brings out a good bit more flavor than when smoked dry. As others mentioned, dribble it in, then I tamp it lightly at the top. It does take a minute to get going, but stays lit pretty well for me. Medium strengh, full bodied, and not excessive nic content for me. Pleasant old timey room note. It does heat up a bit toward the bottom third, but it can be managed. If you really like pure burley, this is one of the best.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

A nice cube cut of exactly as its name suggests - straight burley. It starts off extremely bland with a slight soapy taste and then gives way (quickly) to the traditional burley nuttiness that we burleyphiles so enjoy. I had no problems with relights; that is to say I had to relight a few times but each relight didn't "reward" me with bitterness, as some burley mixtures do. This would be a great all-day smoke. It doesn't demand much of the smoker and it delivers that wonderful oat flavor with each puff.

A further benefit is the room note. It's a mixture of what I grew up with from my dad's Edgeworth and the aroma of very slightly burnt wheat toast. Really wonderful! This is fun stuff, completely unadorned burley. C&D really has a respect for this leaf and knows how to get the best from it. If you like burley and don't live for complexity in pipe tobacco, this should be on your short list. I liked it but I tend to prefer a bit more "color" in my bowl.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Bulk: Definitely a Grape Nuts cereal texture, which is similar to what it smells like; tan-brown. Even though it had been stored in a plastic bag, sealed in a jar, it was not completely dry.

This is a representative sample of what is meant by pluggy or square cut.

Packing: It was just allowed to dribble into the pipe and tamped a little. Really difficult to get lit even though somewhat dry. Burns fairly slowly, then gets hot towards the bottom.

Nicotine: moderately strong

Max1a Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Max1a (29)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

As the first review of this tobacco I will describe this as having the the texture of Grape Nuts cereal. It comes quite (very) dry. It has a light musty, mown grass aroma and is a nice dark golden brown. I purchased this a blending tobacco, but to evaluate it potential, I smoked a bowl in a small GBD Prince. It was very smooth, when breath smoking through the nose it exibited no burn or sharpness. This tobacco was just pure burley all the way and I noted no topping or casing. As a blending tobacco, it mixed well and soon took on the moisture of the tobacco it was mixed with eliminating its dry Grape nuts texture. I mixed it with a bit of FVF and it was very nice indeed. If you are looking for a great burley blender this is head and shoulders above Sir Walter or any other for that matter. If you are looking for a straight burley to smoke alone, you could do alot worse. Just be prepared to moisten it a bit before hand.