CAO’s Bella Vanilla is an aromatic pipe tobacco connoisseur’s Nirvana. This blend of Virginias and rich black Cavendish is finished with the essence of one of the priciest and finest flavors of all- pure Madagascar Vanilla and has a creamy sweetness that will truly satisfy.

BrandCAO
Taste

2.9
TnRooster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TnRooster (14)

For me, the vanilla was nonexistent in flavor. A very mild, bland, forgettable smoke. On the plus side: there was no bite and the room note is good. Not interested in such a bland, flavorless smoke for the money this costs. Aero lovers would probably be disappointed in this.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Alligator

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

CAO seems to make some of the better aromatics I've tried. Bella Vanilla is a mild, light aromatic. Very slight vanilla flavor comes through in the smoke but mostly the flavor is light cavandish flavor. Aside from the slight vanilla flavor this blend is a little on the bland side. Not too bad though.

The room note is fantastic. Sweet, light vanilla sugar scent. Very nice. Overall, Bella vanilla is one of the better aromatics I have tried. Its a little on the bland side, can bite a little if you are not careful, smells fantastic, just a quality aromatic. Hasn't convinced me to swing toward aromatics but for a change of pace its not bad.

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (47)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

This is a decent offering from the CAO Flavours line. This is not my favorite set of offerings from CAO in general, and I have been disappointed with the quality and smoking characteristics of these blends. This one is better than average, however, and is a strong offering in the VA vanilla flake category, of which there are several. While my personal preference is the Mac Baren Vanilla flake, which has a little more sweetness and flavor, this presents a "drier" alternative.

In this tin this is a deep red broken VA flake with a rich vanilla scent. While already broken, I rubbed it out a little more when packing the pipe, and let it dry for about ten minutes. It dried out quickly and this is a very good sign of a tobacco which has not been soaked in humectants. It lights readily and burns evenly down to the bottom of the bowl with a few tamps and relights.

The smoking qualities of this flake are very nice. It burns cool for a Va flake, and does not bite so long as respect is shown. The flavor is very consistent, and consists of a nice light VA flavor with an overtone of vanilla. It is not a huge flavor and it is not multidimensional, but it produces a decent volume of smoke and a nice mild smoking experience.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Autograph 5 Pot

Age When Smoked: 1.5 years

boc777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boc777 (18)

This is the one an only CAO product I have smoked and this knocked my socks off! Cant wait to try some others in their line. Never would have bought this on my own. Wife was travelling and went to an upscale baccy shop and this is what they recommended. Had she not got it for me as a gift, it would have taken me a long time, maybe never to get around to trying this. First off, the packaging looks like its some kind of foofy, loaded up perfumy stuff that only smells good in the tin and tastes like a car air freshener. What a nice surprise when I lit this up. It smokes as good as it smells in the tin, trust me. Nice plum and vanilla notes, but not overpowering. The key to this blend is that it is so understated. It does not smoke like a typical aromatic vanilla blend. The name is kind of misleading, which is the only thing I can find negative to say about Bella Vanilla! This stuff is awesome. Stays lit, perfect moisture content, no bit, tasty as hell and just a total surprise from what you think it would be. A nice "dessert" smoke. Not strong, just smooth and go ahead and smoke it hard, it wont bite! Gotta hand it to the wife on this one! Oh, and the room note is spectacular. If you need something to please the SO, this is it. Cheers!

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9

After Taste = 8

Raw Score = 53

Rated Percentage = 88%

Comment = Smooth, Very Mild, nice vanilla pouch Note & Flavor, has a little After Taste

Quincy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quincy (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first started on this tin, I thought I had found something. I'm about done with the tin and I'm not sure if I'm going to get another one. It's ok but it gets old. Everyone once and awhile on first light you get this fantastic roasted marshmallow blast of flavor. However, that quickly wears off. It's a decent blend and I may pick up another tin down the road, but this wouldn't be my first choice...

The Conde Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Conde (17)

Tin note was strong, but the taste was too mild for me. You barely notice the vanilla. Room note wasn't as nice as I thought it would be. Not a bad smoke but was expecting more flavor.

KXkid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KXkid (12)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I've become a big fan of CAO pipe tobaccos. The Vanilla flavor is there but not overwhelming. Again lots of smoke, but I've gotten used to this with the aromatic type tobacco. Goes well with coffee. And is a nice smoke at any time of day.

SmokeyBear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeyBear (3)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I'm a big Virginia fan and love vanilla but this one falls short in the flavor department for me. The smell from the tin and the room note from the burn are top shelf in my opinion. It burns great right out of the tin (cool and dry) but letting it air out a bit the night before does help a little with the flavor but very little. But the taste is so flat and the vanilla flavor is lost somewhere in the clouds...

Overall it is an extremely mild and smooth smoke to be smoked for others around you to enjoy but the flat flavor will disappoint the smoker every time. So for me (notice I said ME, my opinion) this one only gets 2 stars for the great room note and smooth cool burn but the flat flavor is the only disappointing aspect.

Like noted before me perhaps it is that the vanilla is too much and overpowering itself? I have noticed this same effect in brewing, a little does go a long way and too much will be counter active.

Joshua young smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joshua young smoke (2)

I purchased this 50g tin by CAO. It was made in denmark and contains imported madagascar vanilla. Originaly I wasnt planing on purchasing this but as i was walking through my local tobacco shop I noticed the brown and gold tin hiding on the top shelf. it cost me about $11.00 and is well worth it.

Out of Tin- Great smell. Not oversweetend and the tobacco smell realy does shine through. I almost get a whisky smell even though it doesn't contain the substance.

Out of Pipe- A smooth even burn. I only have to temp at around mid bowl. Consistant taste through the bowl. Great Flavor, and an amaizing Room note. Still fairly new to pipe smoking but as of now I recomend the blend to anyone who isnt a fan of aromatics due to the fact that it isn't over bearing.

Elkhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elkhunter (8)

My first tobacco shop pipe tobacco was a blend called Burley Cake and since then have always liked vanilla flavored tobacco. I have tried a few over the years with no luck finding one that I could smoke and like.I tend to smoke english and VA/VAPER and happened upon Bella Vanilla by accident and needing a change of pace,I decided to try it with some hesitancy.This is a very good vanilla blend,high quality tobacco with a cut I like.I rub out a little bit and dry it some for a good burn. One of the things I really like is that I can taste and smell the vanilla for sometime after the bowl is finished. With all that said I'm going to prepare some for my ride to work. Try it if you like vanilla. After a few properly prepared bowls I'm upgrading to 4 stars.

pjxii Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pjxii (4)

I love vanilla but have been disappointed by the various vanilla pipe tobaccos that I've tried, looking for "the one." MacBaren, Dan, Holger Danske, Lane...all left me feeling that there just HAS to be a better vanilla aromatic out there.

This one is flawless.

rattdogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rattdogg (33)

This is without doubt just about the best vanilla pipe blend I've ever smoked. I bought a tin a few months ago simply because I'd never tried it before. What a good suprise! Great natural vanilla flavor that last to the bottom of the bowl but never becomes overpowering, bitter, or bites. The high quality Virginia tobaccos used here really shine through with good flavor that marries perfectly with the vanilla. The cut of the blend is course so a bit of drying is required before smoking but the result is well worth the wait. If you enjoy vanilla smoking tobaccos you owe it to yourself to give Bella Vanilla a shot. Numm, numm, neighbor! Delicious with a cup of strong black coffee.

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

When it comes to Vanilla blends this is actually one of my favorites, which is not saying much, not easy to do a vanilla blend.

If your looking for an in your face Vanilla, look somewhere else. This is tastefully done and still has a pretty decent pipe tobacco taste.

It was cool smoking. The pipe itself got a bit hot, but never bit my tongue. It was an easy to light, kind of coarse cut that gave an above average length of smoke.

In the end a solid three, it didn't totally wow me, but will keep me interested in CAO blends.

Pipe Used: AKB Freehand Meerschaum, H.I.S Egg Bent

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Tuckers Gpa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tuckers Gpa (29)

This is a good vanilla aromatic. I got this in a monthly special packing, and its a good basic vanilla. I would and have recommended it to my friend who smokes a vanilla. Convert.

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Vanilla gets a bad rap. Synonymous often times with boring, it's subtle attributes are lost in a sea of chocolate and stouter 'in your face' essences. (Whiskey, tropical fruit, mint...the list goes on). That said, it is one of my favorite flavors. The fact it comes from the seed pods of a tropical orchid just heightens the snob appeal for me. But have you ever baked a cake? Ever notice that that big honkin' bowl of batter requires but a small spoonful of bean infused alcohol? Almost doesn't make sense...until you realize a little goes a long way. I've added extra extract to cake mix before (as in, two or three spoonfuls)..a pitiful difference to be sure. The net result was odd. The finished cake still smelled the same, but the taste was...off. Whereas a properly proportioned cake has that sublime vanilla flavor, lightly teasing the palate, the overdosed cake didn't. I could smell the vanilla, not taste it. The flavor was lost to my tongue, somehow. Tis much the same with Bella Vanilla.

I admit to not typically bothering with aromatics....but...the fact it's a VA...(good!), flake...(even better!) perked my ears. (Cavendish gloopfests need not apply.) Unfortunately, the copious amount of 'gently misted extract' totally reduced the experience into utter meaninglessness. Unless my threshold is way lower than most, the overabundance of flavoring ruins this potentially fine tobac. Dried out made no difference. I even cut it down 50% with a straight VA, and also a VA/Per, only to have 'eh...better' results.

At the premium a tin commands, I loathe tweaking in any form. Besides, I'm no blender. I have no intentions in buying any more BV. But, if you can hang with (what I perceive as) over the top aromatic VA's, be my guest. I'll not be your competition.

2 stars.

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this tobacco after trying the cigar by the same maker and flavor and did not enjoy either one of them. the tobacco burned very hot and wet i tried drying it out to no avail I still couldnt taste any vanilla just nothing. my friends said it was ok smelling but the prefered my dainsh vanilla made by a local tobaccoist. if any one has any ideas of what i could do to make it more pleasent to smoke i will try all suggestions.

marksman8351 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marksman8351 (21)

I believe this was actually one of the first Aromatics that i smoke. There is no bite and it burns evenly. Highly recommended to anyone looking for a aromatic vanilla blend.

samhain5150 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samhain5150 (5)

This tobacco is soooo under rated. Anyone looking for a cased or flavored tobacco worthy of a good briar look no further! I am an every day smoker of premium Virginia's and Virginia blends. I usually smoke un cased or un flavored tobaccos as anyone who smokes a pipes regularly probably enjoys the flavor of the tobacco. Every once in a while something a little sweeter that the regular blends is great especially one that is sweet, smells great in and out of the house, and maintains good quality tobacco flavor. The premium virginia flakes in this tobacco is similar to what I get in Astley's #109 and Dan tobaccos Blue Note. I have never had another vanilla cased tobacco that even comes close to the quality and astounding vanilla flavor in this. This smokes great in all my briar's and cob's. I have found that even A C Petersons Escudo smoke's more wet and with more bite than this. Plain and simple good high end tobacco with great fkavor without overfuing it. Smooth and silky white smoke with no tongue bite. I have put this in my regular rotation and I am on my 10th tin with alot more cellared. this gets so great with age that anyone looking for somehing of a treat for their celler this is it.

onezerosix Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onezerosix (3)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

i picked this up as my first pipe tobacco ever. the store i picked this up recommended this to me so i just went with it.

as soon as the tin opens, great aroma of vanilla gets your senses. i'm on my 4th tin of this and this doesn't get old.

now days, i usually smoke virginia flakes but when i feel like having a good aromatic once in awhile, i go back to Bella Vanilla

Traderbob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Traderbob (24)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I picked up a tin of this without having tried it before - just looking for something mild and smooth. The owner of the store offered a smell of one of the CAO cigars flavored with this same vanilla. I almost did not puchase based on that smell, but I am glad I did.

Upon opening the tin I was greeted with a rich, but not overpowering scent. This tobacco was slightly moiste and I have been smoking it without drying. A mixture of light brown and dark brown rough cut tobacco. Slightly softer texture than MB Burley.

Smells great while packing and packed easily. Tamped only slightly and lit. Good thick white smoke and good flavor. Flavor stayed consistant to the bottom of the bowl. Only one re-lite to get to the bottom.

No bite whatsoever. I have been enjoying this tobacco as an early morning smoke before work.