Original Virginia Flake. A classic if there ever was one.

Notes: No longer made. Unfortunately.

BrandBenson & Hedges
Strength
Taste
Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Like Tantric, I agree that this is one of those quality Virginias that seems to be beyond the capacity of blenders these days. I do not know why...in fact surely it would be a profitable exercise for the recipe holders to revive them.

Anyway this tobacco was a sublime interpretation of the blenders art; deep and rich in flavour and a smooth joy to smoke. I say was because although I have 1 unopened tin left, I haven't managed in all these years to bring myself to break the seal and consume it! While it's here I suppose I can still anticipate the pleasure smoking it will give me.

I am glad this tobacco has now been included. In fact, I proposed that this one should be immediately admitted to the Hall of Fame (and was elated to learn GL Pease shared my view).

I tried this tobacco back in 1989. It was still available in specialized tobacconists in England. Together with BH's fuller Plug, and the Sullivan Powell English range, for a moment I was in heaven. OVF became a constant companion. Truly a tobacco for all seasons: warm and comforting through winter; invigorating in spring; fresh and cool in summer, and mellow in autumn. The taste was always pure, tarry and naturally sweet. Never a pretentious tobacco, it nevertheless came through as an elegant, refined and, if I may say so, eloquent smoke.

The only pure virginia I had previously smoked was Dunhill's Royal Yatch, and found it too strange. Eventually I discovered Dunhill's Light Flake--a beautiful Virginia tobacco, on the sweet side of things--and I used to alternate OVF, Plug and LF. Of the three OVF was my all time favorite, followed closely by Dunhill's.

When I returned from England in 199a OVF was scarce, expensive, almost an anecdote. I've never smoked it since. But I agree wholeheartedly with my fellow reviewers on the accolades to perhaps one of the three best straight Virginias ever made.

Eagleman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eagleman (7)
Medium Medium Medium Unnoticeable

I agree with vaporflavour but it is years since I smoked this baccy. It was one of the very best virginia flake tobacco's ever mind (the best was Sobraine rich virginia flake) and, to my mind, far better than anything Pease makes or anyone else come to that. They just don't even get close although I don't know why.

Try the "new" B&H golden flake (see my review). It is not in the same league as this original B&H stuff but it is a very pleasant smoke.

vaperfavour Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vaperfavour (30)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Wow! I am on my third bowl of this from an old tin. I love this stuff!!! Probably the best straight out of the tin tobacco i have ever had. It tastes like cooked popcorn kernels with a little butter. no real sweetness, full strength on the vitamin N, and yet a subtle complexity. Union Square is close to this but much lighter in character and taste. I cant believe this is so good. It is not quite as strong as the ropes but just below them. A legend. I am very glad I paid the money for this because it is great!