Red and Golden Virginias mixed with deep rich Burleys and a unique aromatic top dressing.Pleasing aroma in the pipe and the room.

Strength
Extremely Mild, Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste
Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (15)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Very moist out of the pouch. Scorched my tongue. Not much of a taste to it. Burley and virginia are my favorite tobaccos, so I guess my expectations were too high. It was good when I mixed it with some black[death] cavendish I got from a local tobacco blender. The black cavendish was very strong and reeked of whiskey. So it balanced out well with this stuff. That wretched mixture still sits in a jar in my baccy vault.

RamblinMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RamblinMan (4)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Nice, overall light, sweet, and pleasant. The cut is standard ribbon, primarily composed of reds with the occasional golden yellow interspersed throughout. Sold in bulk, the pouch gives a faint vanilla and raisin scent. After packing and lighting, this tobacco starts out fairly mild, about mid bowl the Virginias really start to show up and sing. The amount of burly added is just right for me. I typically do not enjoy blends that are heavy on burly imparting a strong nutty flavor (unless the mood strikes me for a more robust and coffee/nutty aftertaste). As is typical of most Virginia blends the taste is sweet and grassy, producing a fair amount of smoke. Although it may start out a little wet, a bit of drying goes a long way with this blend. If hurried it may bite or exhibit a bit of a "spicy" characteristic as mentioned by another reviewer, but why hurry with such a wonderfully light and mellow blend?

Taking in to account the low price and overall good characteristics of this smoke, three stars *. I would hate for someone to miss out on this just because they refuse to try the more commonly available and relatively affordable Altadis blends.

Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I was gifted this blend to review and after smoking it several times I have to say this is a nice, tasty and great smelling blend that I enjoyed in every way but the fact it is so wet! I mean my pipe just gurgled with this blend. It's really a shame they put so much preservative in this because it easily tastes good and would be a fantastic mixer. To smoke a whole pipeful, I went through a half dozen pipe cleaners. But that aside, it is a nice Cavendish style tobacco, golden on color and in a ribbon cut. It smells sweet haylike in the pouch and it is nice and mild in the pipe, with no tongue bite in spite of it's high moistuyre content. It has a great room note, rich and sweet and once I got it lit, it stayed lit pretty well. It somked down to a light gray ash, a lot of dottle and moisture in the bottom of my pipe. I am going to aggressivly try to dry this out as I is quite enjoyable in taste, the VA in it is very sweet, the burley just gives it a little body, and the topping us very subtle, I would guess a slight vanilla. I would still recommend giving it a try in spie of it being so wet.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (56)

Bought this one solely on a whim. I love Red Virginias and at this price I thought it a worth a try. Well I really like this one a lot. The Red Virginia is right up front where I want it. The Burleys are strictly in support. If there is a aromatic top dressing as described than it has been so lightly applied and so well integrated that it is really unnoticed. All in all Altadis' Golden Cavendish is a simple, slightly sweet, tasty Virginia blend. Very tongue friendly. It will get somewhat spicy in a Jalapeno kind of way if you get too aggressive but I like it.

If you enjoy McClelland's 5100 or pipesandcigars.com's Old Red than I'm pretty confident that you will take a liking to Altadis' Golden Cavendish.

This really might not be a 4== blend but I wanted to make sure that you all take notice. Altadis tobaccos tend to get overlooked and poo-pooed by seasoned pipe smokers. As far as I'm concerned when you factor in the budget friendly price on this one it makes it a 4== blend for me.