Black Cavendish plus light Cavendish specially flavored for the full taste enjoyed by the majority of today's smokers.

Notes: This was an Amar Blends Co. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Blended ByAmar Blends Co.
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Cavendish
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Other / Misc
Strength
Mild to Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
1.8
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The black cavendish offers some brown sugar and dominates the nutty, earthy light burley cavendish. The whiskey topping is the most obvious topping, but I get a little nougat and chocolate as well. The latter two are condiments, and all the toppings sublimate the tobaccos to a fair extent. The strength level is mild while the taste barely passes that mark. Hardly has any nicotine. Won’t bite or get harsh. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with a mostly consistent flavor. Leaves little moisture in the bowl and requires a average number of relights. Has a short lived, sweet after taste. An all day smoke.

-JimInks

Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

It has been a couple of years since I've posted any C&D blend reviews and I have smoked nearly 100 tins of their various offerings in that time. So, it may be awhile before I get to all of them. Cap's blend comes a dime a dozen around the USA. Seems every tobacco shop you go into has a Black Cav with some kind of whiskey flavoring. I would swear that this is Smoker's Pride Whiskey as it tastes the same to me. Nice little bit of strength, quality Black Cavendish style Burley and whatever whiskey flavoring it is that is passed to shops around the country. The leaf was steamed to the point that it had no teeth (can't bite).

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (123)

I have pretty eclectic and varied tastes when it comes to pipe tobacco. I smoke English, VaPers, Burleys...and now I am re-visiting aromatics.

This tobacco is just not for me. I found it harsh and artificial-tasting.

Govern Yourself Accordingly.

Cornell & Diehl - Cap's Blend.

The blend includes about an even amount of each of the two tobaccos but sadly it arrived damp. Although the pouch-note is governed by the whiskey there's a sweetness indicative of something sweeter than just the whiskey. Caramel, maybe.

The whiskey's the strongest topping, but like in the pouch' aroma there's a touch of something sticky and sweet. Although the black Cavendish gives the leading flavour the smoke isn't sludgy, or too clumsy. The nutty, light Cavendish is slightly coarse and prevents the black Cav' from hogging things. It burns nicely, cool and quite slow, without any tongue bite.

Nicotine: above mild. Room-note: nice.

Cap's Blend? I don't find it as bad as the reviews to date! Recommended:

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Roma Lucite Oom Paul

Age When Smoked: Three weeks

Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

I read the reviews and bought a small despite what I read thinking it can't be that bad. Well, it is. Like Jiminks, I also picked up some chocolate in addition to a whiskey-ish taste. I also picked up a slight fruitiness, maybe berries. It reminded me of Captain Black White, but maybe worse, at least as the topping goes.

Unlike many C&D blends this one is not dry. It is very moist, but smokes well and, surprisingly, does not leave much goopiness in the pipe. As to the leaf and its performance, there is not much to complain about so long as you don't mind small tobacco particles sticking to your fingers, tobacco mat, jar, et.al. IT does burn clean and easy right to the bottom.

It is the topping that repulsed me. I am not a fan of chocolate, so this already had that going against it, but this also has a terrible aftertaste to my tastes anyway. I call it the diet soda aftertaste as that is what it reminds me of. It is an acrid chemical taste that automatically kills an aromatic for me. This had that in spades and just spoiled every bowl for me. The topping overwhelms the leaf so there is really no redeeming features as to taste to me.

Other than its burning properties its pros are few. I will say that it doesn't bite and although it is low in nicotine by C&D standards, it seems to have a little more than most similar based aromatics of which there are many. I can't recommend this blend, but some people actually like diet soda, so you may. It all comes down to how this topping tastes to you. I will give it a weak 2 stars.

Similar Blends: Captain Black White.

Forgive me, but I think that this should be renamed "Crap's Blend" The casing and leaf in this blend did not do it for me at all. The cavendish tasted green and the casing tasted like anti-freeze. Tried two bowls and gave up, much prefer #772.

Rating: -1 out of 5