Black Cavendish and golden Virginia combined with natural maple flavor

Notes: This was an Amar Blends Co. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Blended ByAmar Blends Co.
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Coffee, Mango
Strength
Taste
2.9
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This blend carries more strength than many aromatics and has a twinge of natural tobacco taste. The maple flavoring is dominant though, and it is delish!

For smokers who prefer uncased blends this one might be a good change of pace. For those who prefer aromatics, this one might be your manna from heaven.

Burns fairly dry and I certainly had no problem keeping the leaf lit. Easy on the tongue in the heat department, too.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Even though I've come to appreciate the English and more natural blend, I still occasionally like something sweet and easy to smoke. With their wide varity of aromatics, and their long-standing reputation, I figured C+D would be a good place to start. Their sampler pack available at the website made it very easy to give a wide variety of Cornell & Diehl, Pease, and Two Friends blends a shot.

This stuff sounded really good. And it is, in all respects. It is made from top quality, good tasting, and fine burning tobacco. You have the mellow cavendish and VA providing some substance and tobacco taste. The casing is exactly as billed: genuine maple flavor without coming off as goopy and syrupy. None of that here, just nice sweetness permeating both the room note and taste through out the smoke.

Clean finish and minimal relights necessary. If you want a bit of sweetness that isn't candy-like, give this blend a shot.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (283)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I love Maple blends and whenever I see a tin regardless of manufacturer I jump right on it. Black and Gold is a nice diversion from Autumn Evening and Rum & Maple in that I really enjoyed the balance of Cavendish's. Unlike most Maple blends that I have tried, B&G contains, well, black and gold Cavendish. Just like in 1Q and Captain Black Royal which both contain Black and Gold Cavendish, this Maple blend has more flavor than if C&D employed just black Cavendish or just brown, I really liked this mix. The Maple topping that C&D uses is really top shelf, I even enjoy it more than Pipeworks and WIlke's Vermont Maple which is saying a lot, very natural and aromatic. If you want to beef this blend up a bit add some McClelland blending Perique, I got the idea from 4Noggin's "Essence of Vermont" blend and it's very unique, Perique and Maple just seem to be made for each other.

tod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tod (4)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I consider my self a once in awhile aromatic smoker. I took a chance on this and was surprised at how good it was. I could smell the casing as the mail man handed me the package. After opening it, it was almost too strong smelling. I let it air for a few hours. I love the way this blend tastes. And to me it's more like butter and burnt sugar. Like butterscotch. But 8 oz. went quick. Nice medium satisfying blend.

Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Now,this is MAPLE! Far better than McClelland's Blue Townsman and superior to C&D's own AUTUMN EVENING. This has no bite(unlike Autumn evening)and not artificial tasting (like Townsman Blue). A true joy for you and those around you. My friends were falling asleep as I puffed away on this. The most scrumptuous maple aromatic on the market. 3 of 4 stars!!!

Bifkinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bifkinator (10)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

It's almost fall and the mornings and evenings are starting to get cooler as it gets dark earlier. I've been craving some maple flavored tobaccos for the season so I ordered Sutliff Rum and Maple and Maple Cavendish, also from C&D, along with this one so that I can experience some tobaccos I haven't before. Trying the others first got my palate ready for this one and was a great tobacco to try last.

Right after I opened the tin I gave it a sniff with big surprises. I say a lot of tobaccos are complex but this one takes the cake, especially for an aromatic! I get so many different scents such as (the obvious one) maple, brown sugar, fig from the black cavendish, black cherry, pecan pie, a subtle citrus, and this almost new leather smell thats faint but there. It's a very stimulating smell and gets my nose going all over the place in what I'm picking up. Very impressed so far!

Out of the tin it looks beautiful! A very balanced blend of black cavendish and virginia. A very attractive looking blend for sure. Probably the only thing you'll hear say thats negative about this tobacco is that it's a little on the dry side. I wish it came a little more moist but that's me. Other than that it packed perfectly into my pipe with little to no spring to it. Everything I put in there stayed where it was and didn't even think about jumping out as with a lot of aromatics. I also feel no flavoring on the leaf showing me its not heavily flavored. It lights up like a dream and starts an ember almost immediately so you'll get to smoking very fast. There's a little bit of a bite but not a strong one.

The smoke is also really complex and I love it! I get maple, brown sugar, grass, pecan (less sweet than the scent), subtle fig, faint leather, and pumpkin seeds. It's so interesting and will keep your palate finding new flavors as the bowl progresses. In the aftertaste the cherry and leather shine through as well as a little pumpkin seed. The complexity is what I love most about this tobacco and I know I'm going to enjoy my next bowl even more as I search for more flavors.

Everything together, this tobacco is so balanced and complex for an aromatic that I'm so surprised by it. It's delicious and not over flavored if thats what you like. Be prepared though it does burn fast. Smoking it in my largest pipe only took 30 minutes with a couple of relights which I assume is from the lack of moisture. Overall though everyone should try this, even those who don't like aromatics. It's a much more true and balanced version of Maple Cavendish and more enjoyable in my opinion. I consider it the perfect mix between the Sutliff and Maple Cavendish. So give it a try and enjoy.

Pipe Used: Ser Jacopo Sandblasted Bent Dublin

Similar Blends: Autumn Evening, Maple Cavendish.

Theosprey247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theosprey247 (42)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

The tin note is very "maplely" kinda like those maple flavored sausages by Framer John's. Lights well and burns nicely. The overall flavor is similar to Autumn Evening (but not as strong) also by C&D. The flavor mellows out somewhat after the 1st 1/3 of the bowl. The alcohol topping is like Scotty's Milk and Honey. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Briars

Similar Blends: Scotty's Milk and Honey, Autumn Evening.

OLDTIMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OLDTIMER (39)

Black and Gold Maple, arrives with just the right amount of moisture. The room note is very pleasant. The maple flavor is very nice and not over done. The nicotine starts to kick in about half way down the bowl in a medium size pipe. It will never replace my Autumn Evening blend but a very nice tobacco.

purpleronald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
purpleronald (16)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

At first I didn't like it...but it grew on me...and if you like the fragrence of hot buttery pancakes...you might like it too! For a change of pace...it's a pleasant change...but the taste is rather one dimenional. Pancakes with just a dash of buttery maple - is the flavor...but it's still 'natural'. Sometimes I'll mix it with a bowl of latakia blend just to make it more interesting... It's not an overpowering aromatic but the aroma is there from the first to the last puff!

colonel jpl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colonel jpl (20)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

When I decide it time for a bowl of a maple blend maple street is where I go. I tried black gold and would consider it to be a solid second place finish. Black gold is not as smooth, the maple is only present in smell not taste. Burns hotter so go easy and for me it lacked complexity I expect from C&D. This is far from a bad blend, just not for me.

Pipe Used: Tsuge

Age When Smoked: New from tin

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I agree on almost every point "Youngpiper" made in a previous review but the only criticism I have is the trouble keeping it lit. I think the black cavendish portion of this blend is a toasted variety, although I love the flavour of toasted cavendishes I find their burning qualities mush to be desired. Other than that it's quite a serviceable blend that can be smoked on its own of used in condiment for home blends.

Pipe Used: capri sandblast billiard

Age When Smoked: current production

smokin ty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokin ty (3)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

this tobacco is very enjoyable and has been my constant for almost 3 years up until recently (made the transition to english/orientals). i would recomend tryng it if your looking for a cool smoke. i think i should change this recomendation i'm going to have to put it at 2 stars simply because i do not seem to enjoy it at all. it could be due to the larg supply of english that i have been smoking but i could definatly tast the flavoring in the tobacco. i would recomend trying it if your a start up smoker but not if you like the natural leaf tast.

geocritter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
geocritter (20)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After a comparison of this blend to C&D's Autumn Evening, I fear that I may be undershooting it with 2 stars. I will revise after having some more of it. However, on the whole, I found it to taste just OK, not a very rich flavor or with much pizazz. Just enough to be kind of a tease, with a bite that was a little more than a tease. So I don't know about this one. I think if you are looking for a maple flavor, and aiming for that buttery pancake taste, go with Autumn Evening and get the full experience.

In my quest for the perfect aromatic, I tried this one, but am afraid my quest still continues.

This blend smells delicious and has the typical black and tan appearance of most aromatics.

Packing: Easy, some broad ribbons giving a fuss.

Lighting: Easy as this blend comes fairly dry.

Initial Flavor:Well your typical cavendish flavor with the maple in the background.

Mid-Bowl: Not much increase in strength or flavor

End of bowl: The leaf in this blend starts to sing a little more, it is rather smooth in its build up of strength and then it is over.

Overall: This is an OK aromatic, but not the Holy Grail (LOL!) I guess I'll keep searching. Maybe Autumn Evening will be it?

Rating: 2.75 out of 5 points