A mild aromatic blend with just enough Latakia to give satisfaction to the pipe smoker's taste, yet with a very pleasant aroma for those around him. Smooth and full-bodied.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Latakia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor
Strength
Taste

3.4
JimInks (2040)

The mildly smokey, woody sweet Cyprian latakia is a team player. The black cavendish offers a mild vanilla. The burley is nutty with some molasses and a little earth in a support role. The mildly sweet topping reminds me of plum. Well blended, you’ll notice most every aspect of the consistent flavors in every puff. Burns at a normal rate, cool and clean with a fair amount of smoothness as it easily burns to ash. Won’t bite, and has no harsh spots. Has a rather mild nic-hit. Requires few relights, and leaves little dampness in the bowl. Has a short lived, pleasant after taste. An easy going, mild all day smoke. Two and a half stars.

Capn Jimbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capn Jimbo (24)

Like so many of us, I am one of those pipe smokers that has varying tastes. One day it might be a nutty burley, or a burley/brignt, a nice aromatic, and an English latakia forward blend. Depend on the day and mood. Quite by accident my friendly tobacconist offered me a taste of this one. I had my doubt whether this combination of burley, cavendish and light latakia was a bit of a mongrel, neither fish, nor fowl.

My first puff, and I was shocked.

Yes it had a lovely light vanilla tone, but then again the latakia was there too - just enought - while my very favorite burley nuttiness came through in intermittent wisps. Now at least one other reviewer felt these different elemets cancellled one another out. For him I'm sure this was a personal reaction - he wants a blend to have a more singular character.

I don't.

As a spirits reviewer, I can tell you that younger spirits do in fact have that singular element, but the reward of aging begins to bring the elements together in what can only be described as a balanced and intergrated harmony, complex enought that no one element dominates, but is clearly there. That is a mark of a great spirit and in this case applies to this lovely blend.

Yes, the elements are there. Yes, they do at times coalesce, but still allow each component to sneak out here to make themselves evident. Oh - nice aromatics! And then alongs comes a bit of nuttiness, then some smoke. Such a presentation is interesting and infatuating. Lovely and rewarding, easily a daily smoker that won't bore, but won't overwhelm, that will keep you interested and pleased.

Pipe Used: Savinelli full bent military, Peterson style; cob

Age When Smoked: unknown, months at least

Purchased From: Local tobacconist

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is my favorite tobacco so far. When I decided to venture into English tobaccos, I was sniffing the bulks that my tobacconist had and the smell of this one pushed me to purchasing an ounce. When I lit it I found myself in tobacco Heaven! It had the pleasant smells of an aromatic and the strength and kick of a mild English tobacco. This tobacco goes for aromatic and English lovers alike!

I give this 5 stars. The availability of this seems limited, but if you can get hold of some, please give it a try.

Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Sutliff Tobacco Company - Aromatic English #504.

The blend looks very coarse, more-so than the badge 'ribbon' implies. It's too wet, even after a few weeks in a loose pouch it could still use some airing time. The constituents are a 50/50 split between black and brown, of which both are chunkily cut.

A bowl of #504 lights up easily, and then gives me a flavour that doesn't exactly give credence to the name Aromatic. The smoke has primarily a natural flavour, with just a splash of aromatics. The natural side consists of some smoke and wood (from the Lat'), some nuttiness (from the Bur'), and the Cavendish offers a flavour that sits on the fence, a bit: there's a vanilla creaminess that you'd expect from black Cav', but I'm unsure as to whether to put that under an added flavouring as it's from the manufacturing, or natural as it's not from a casing? I have no idea what alcohol/liqueur has been used to make this, as apart from some alcoholic sharpness I get no actual flavour.

Regarding the other points, it's all good: cool burn, thick smoke, no bite, nice room-note, and very mild nicotine.

Highly recommended, a nice smoke.

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Christmas 2015 #03

Age When Smoked: One month

Gothicmace Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gothicmace (16)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I find this a very nice and relaxing all day smoke. The flavor profile is never singular as with most English blends.. the aromatic is pleasant and not overwhelming as one may think.. but rather adds to the experience. This is a great blend for those wanting to dip a toe into the English blends and for those of us who love the heady smokey pleasures that only Latakia can provide.. but want to take a break from the campfire and satisfy a light sweet tooth.

Pipe Used: M&M Cob and Dr. Grabow Omega

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Nothing to really compare it to as this is unique for the blend style..

The good Rev. Rizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The good Rev. Rizzo (36)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Purchased on a big bulk binge. My 4 ounce bag of this was overly moist as the tobacconist keeps it that way. Aroma in the bag is nothing close to an English blend. A very sweet note coming from the nice black and gold combination of leaf. A nice cut devoid of stem and stock that packs nicely in the bowl. This has no discernible real flavor. Just a nice sweet flavor which once in a while peaks of an almost nutty taste. But then it goes away just about as soon as you notice. No dynamic to this, so if you want complexity look elsewhere. But if your after a nice sweet constant smoke that would be a good all day smoke I recommend. No real tongue bite. A very satisfying full draw smoke. The room note is satisfying to most.

Pipe Used: Peterson 2013 St. Patrick's X220

Age When Smoked: 1+ years

Purchased From: King Beaver Cigars

ciaran Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ciaran (5)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'd been on the hunt for a good crossover blend for a while now. I wanted something with a little more character than a straight aromatic but also wanted not to offend (as badly) as a nice English. During my exploration, I discovered "Aromatic English" blends and found a couple that I like. I've got jars of Lane's HGL and Karer's Blend for Cary Grant. But, honestly, while those are good blends, "I still hadn't found what I was looking for" (sorry U2). And then I bumped into Stuliff's 504C. When I opened the bag, the smell was intoxicating. There was the nice smell of vanilla (I believe) but not too over powering. I could still make out the nuttiness of the burley and hints of incense-y Latikia. The bag was very wet. Very. Wet. I left it in the bag for the duration and it never completely dried out. I'm not sure if this is done so that it doesn't dry out "on the shelf" but it would benefit from not being so wet. With that stated, however, it still smoked fine. I packed it very lightly and lit my pipe. A few more relights than normal and it left a little moisture in the bowl. But the taste was outstanding! I first tasted the light topping (maybe vanilla or caramel or perhaps some plum or rum) and then the earthiness from the burley came through. Then, in wisps once in a while, I get the slight incense of the Latikia. As I was smoking it a colleague stopped by and said that he really liked the way it smelled. I offered him a bowl and excused myself. When I came back I caught a waft of the tobacco. "Oh my gosh," I exclaimed. "When I think of pipe tobacco, that's EXACTLY what I think of!" It became my all-day, go-to blend. Sadly, I've since run out it and am smoking my other tobaccos before I order more of this. The subtlety is there from all the components--the earthiness of the burley, the gentle sweetness of the cavendish, and the light wisps of incense from the Latikia. It's all blended so beautifully and each part of the symphony plays off each other in a very balanced way.

Pipe Used: Savinelli, Dunhill, Peterson

Age When Smoked: newly purchased; about a month or two (last bowl)

Armeniandude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Armeniandude (13)

This blend is good but there are much better out there as far as aromatic english goes. That's not to say that this is a good starter blend for those (like myself) trying to get more into English blends. For me, it starts out good but halfway through I get a dry uncomfortable feeling in my throat like I have a wad of cotton stuck there.

It smells sweet and leaves a smoky sweet taste in your mouth after you finish your bowl. The latakia is not over powering or very heavy. It is enjoyable but I have to dock it a couple stars because of the cotton throat I get every time I give this a go.

It is low on the nicotine content which I am ok with but others might not be.

Pipe Used: Briar

Age When Smoked: few months

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (107)

Just tried this for the first time , so this is an impression more so that a review . In a nutshell .... it's lovely . The idea of an aromatic English usually isnt somethng for me to get to excited about but Sutliff has nailed this one big time . Smoooth , cool smoking , flavorful !!! It isnt over the top in the flavoring dept and I wouldnt be able to tell what it even is , other than it is an asset to the blend . As far as crossovers go , I think this is " IT " . I'm only just getting into this pouch but I will edit and do a proper review later . But it has made a fantastic impression on me

Pipe Used: Calabresi Billiard and Basil Meadows " Hawkog "

Purchased From: Gift from a PSF member

Similar Blends: Other crossover blends but this one is really nice.