All-natural tobacco. Cool smoking with no bite!

BrandBlender's Gold
Blended BySutliff Tobacco Company
ContentsBurley
FlavoringHoney
Packaging12 ounce bag
Strength
Taste
Extremely Mild (Flat), Mild
2.3
DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (120)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Summary: a light Burley flavored with honey and vanilla but not saturated in the flavor, allowing for a mild smoke.

This tobacco served as my introduction to pipe tobacco way back when I knew next to nothing. You bought it at Walgreen's in twelve ounce bags for about $1.25 an ounce, and it burned gently and left a pleasant marshmallow smell in the air. While there was not much Nicotine, a decent amount of the natural Burley flavor came through, which is why I find this a better blend than true sodapop aromatics like "1Q." These days, I would probably not smoke this, but "Golden Burley" provides an enjoyable basic smoke especially after it has had time to dry in the bag for a few weeks, and for your average pipe smoker could be a pleasant all-day smoke that will not draw complaints from wives, neighbors, and itinerant neighborhood children.

Similar Blends: Lane Limited - 1-Q.

ProfEd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ProfEd (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Straw, with just a hint of caramel corn. I bought this while waiting on a mail order, Blender's Gold has become my 'nuclear winter, pipe tobacco.

Pipe Used: Grabow, Milano, Lunessi

Age When Smoked: 47

Purchased From: Walgreen's

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Gold Burley.. Some time ago, while on a driving trip, the idea came to me to try something other than the tobacco I brought with me. Realizing my only hope, would be Walgreens, I found one, and went baccy shopping. They had most of the usual stuff, plus these large poly bags of various blends. My eyes went straight to the bag marked “golden burley”. Great price, large bag and free shipping, why not. A short time later I was puffing nice clouds of wonderful mild burley smoke, with its distinctive aroma. Thinking how did I not try this stuff before? Light up is straight forward, flavor is pure mild burley, with no topping that I could detect, and there seems to be a pleasant amount of vitamin N, that covers that. If one must complain about something, I quest the fast burn rate should be noted, but in spite of this, the smoke remains without harshness and is completely bit free. A good candidate for a mild all day smoke. Since that time, this baccy has been used as a foundation for many homebrew blends, some better than others. Would I buy more? Yup, and I have. For what it is, simple unflavored straight burleys. 3 stars. My personal rating; 2.5/5

A real nice homebrew blend, using this baccy, is 3 parts GB too 1 part (Dan) Blue Note. For my taste a little BN goes a long way.

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (72)

Blenders Gold. Oh, yeah. This is some tasty leaf. Golden Burley is great by itself, but I prefer the Toasted Cavendish and Burley&Black line-up. Since switching from the bags to the can variety the PG level is considerably lower. Many of the name brand tins have quite a bit of the PG in them. Former's Private Flake and MacBaren's Roll Cake come to mind. That being said air this puppy out all day long at 75 degrees, spreading evenly on parchment or newspaper. The result is a dry, malty, seltzery and semi-sweet smoke. Drying a tad longer really brings out the subtle floral note. For richer flavor and depth dry a handful of the BG Toasted Cavendish and add to the mix. And don't worry about getting jipped on quality. BG is made by Sutliff and the leaf used is aged up to four years. No bite and just the ocassional tamper is needed. So ditch the high priced tins if you're on a budget and stock up on the BG blends. Best of all you can create some very rewarding bowlfulls by playing mad mixer.

Pipe Used: Corncob

Age When Smoked: Aired overnite

Corn cobs and briers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corn cobs and briers (6)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

For me its one of the best tobacco in the blenders gold series. At first honey and slightly nutty flavors comes through. Tin notes on all blenders gold blends are very nice except for the vanilla( has a popcorn aroma). The tobacco is very moist infact too moist. If smoked straight out of the tin your going to run into a hundred different problems. I allowed mine to sit out for about two days or till it blossums open when a handfull is squeezed. It allows for a cool smooth smoke with no bite. But the manufactured tobacco still there but very faint if smoked very very slow allowing the pipe to nearly shot off. The room note was very close to a bakery smell.

Overall my last resort smoke with captain black along side.

Pipe Used: Corn cob

Age When Smoked: 3 days

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (52)

As others have mentioned, this stuff might make your mouth and tongue feel raw. I was impressed with the consistency and humidity level of the tobacco and enjoyed the flavor somewhat. The Tobacco stays lit easily and doesn't burn more than a bit hot. Unfortunately, the chemical additive is just too hard on my mouth and I pay for that all through the day following the smoke. My other complaint is what I will call the can note: gingerbread cookie in a dirty tennis shoe.

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Judging a tobacco by its name is dangerous, from the name “Golden Burley” I anticipated a relatively unadorned, plain and trusty burley blend along the lines of a Prince Albert. This is NOTHING like a plain burley, it is an aromatic and a pretty heavy one at that. If you have an aversion to PG avoid this blend, if they had placed a bag of this in King Tut's tomb when the archeologists opened things up this tobacco would still have been moist even after centuries. In its favor it is cheap and available and the taste, which I had trouble completely pinning down, lets call it vanilla-caramel is not unpleasant. It did not bite, I finished the bag but it took me a long time and I was thoroughly tired of it long before it was all gone. If this was the only tobacco in the world I would still be a pipe smoker, but I would not enjoy it as much.

ecce_ego Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ecce_ego (22)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I agree with a previous reviewer who said it tastes like the plastic bag it came in. There is a distinct "plasticine" taste to it, like drinking water from a new plastic cup. This went away after about half of the bowl, though, and the tobacco taste came through. I want to say I tasted a very subtle woody note, but this is literally my absolute first smoke, so I am probably just tasting the pipe. The aroma, or I guess room note is the proper term, is not bad. As far as the nicotine edge that has remained since I gave up cigarettes- it nicely removed that, which is a big plus for me. It's cheap and easy, so it'll probably do until my online orders arrive.