Burley from the Green River Valley of Kentucky, fire cured and expertly blended to be mild and smooth. Flavored with an outstanding vanilla.

ContentsBurley

Big Jim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Jim (15)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

UPDATED:

Tried this blend again and was pleasantly suprised. No dust and is seemed to burn much cleaner all the way to the bottom. Not something I'll smoke on a regular basis but nice to have around.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for a crowd pleasing blend I ordered 2 ounces as part of a sample pack and it was a pretty decent tobacco. Not a great vanilla but not bad. It burned cool with a fair amount of vanilla flavor and I was able to also taste the tobacco. This blend burned very fast and not cleanly.

As with all C&D products there was no PG which I appreciated.

When I ordered 4 ounces it was a disappointment. The moisture level was fine but it was dusty. After 3 weeks there was so much fine dust it was unsmokable. I'm not sure if it was the bottom of the batch or something inherent to this type of tobacco but not one that I'll order again.

The vanilla flavoring is very nice, but I wouldn't mind a little tobacco flavor to go with it. There just isn't any. It's a real shame because the vanilla is about perfect.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Burn = 9

After Taste = 9

Raw Score = 58

Rated Percentage = 97%

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Mellow, great Vanilla Flavor, good all day smoke. This is one of the best vanilla tobaccos I have ever smoked.

smoke dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoke dog (10)

This is a very nice blend of tobacco. When opening the tin, you are greeted by a mild vanilla scent which has no over powering traits. It is a very dark, broken type tobacco. it is soft, and mild and packs well. The humidity is nice. It may burn better with a 30 min. sit out, but still lit nicely. No overbearing sweetness detected, and not a burn or bite to it. I am an aromatic smoker, mostly and this one is an easy all day smoke.. I like the hearth and home egg nog as my number one smoke, but this is a very close second.. Burned evenly down to a nice ash and the room note its great. Try out out.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)

So this is what a vanilla aromatic is supposed to taste like! I decided to try a few C&D aros for a change of pace, and chose GRV after reading the reviews. This stuff is mild and delicious, with a soft, fragrant, high-quality vanilla casing that isn't sickeningly sweet or overbearingly artificial. It doesn't bite and burns cool, slow and dry. It's almost too mild, as Pipestud mentioned in his review, but I guess that's the point. Berry Good, which includes GRV in its components, has a smidge more tobacco flavor. But this one is a significant quality upgrade from other bulk and drugstore blends, and will make a great mixer. Let it dry a bit first.

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)

I think this is the best of the several vanilla black cavendish aromatics I have tried. It beats Planta, MacBaren, Stanwell, Sweet vanilla honeydew. The vanilla flavor lasts to the bottom of the pipe. Nice room scent afterward.

OLDTIMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OLDTIMER (39)

Green River Vanilla, is a mild all black cavendish, that is sure to please the aromatic smoker. If there ever was a all day smoke, this is it. Moisture level is perfect, and burns clean and dry all the way down the bowl. Not to sweet, but sweet enough. I think I will replace BCA with this wonderful blend, I feel it is that good.

NorthwoodsSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NorthwoodsSmoker (8)

The tobacco in the tin is very dark and somewhat rich smelling. No real problems packing it, but there are some larger pieces. The room note is very nice and pleased my wife. The taste wasn't really vanilla for me. It was there just really mild. Overall, a nice mild tobacco that doesn't goop up the bowl. Worth a try, if you don't want in your face vanilla taste.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (67)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Another one of the C&D sampler. Very black broken flake with a delightful aroma in the tin. The black cavendish is nicely flavoured with vanilla without going over the top. Think this will be a good smoke when smoking in a crowd of non-smokers. I have tasted other vanilla flavored tobaccos but this is mild. Burns dry and left a nice ash. Humidity when opened is perfect and doesn't drying out. For an aromatic, it is cool. Could be a regular when wanting an aromatic and need a break from my regular latakia. Nice morning smoke with coffee.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

There is nothing unpleasant about GRV, and it is actually a very cool, dry smoking, black Cavendish pleasing to others in the room. It is perfect to keep the office or home free of tobacco odor the day after the fire goes out.

There is genuine tobacco flavor and genuine vanilla flavor, but little of each due to the nature of the leaf chosen, the processing, and flavoring applied. This is its style, and I have no criticism.

The cut is a bit stiff and therefore takes a little care to properly pack into the bowl. The dry consistency makes for an easy light and steady burn with few, if any, gurgles.

I will keep this around to cut the power or heavy flavor of otherwise respectable blends, but I like more oomph if I am smoking straight Black Cavendish.

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

If you demand exceptional quality in a pipe tobacco and you enjoy burley with a very mild and light aromatic, you must give this a try. I suspect there may be just a touch of maple to sweeten this exceptional vanilla aromatic. Absolutely, it is not overpowering as so many of this type are. Those around you will be pleased and comment favorably. Don't miss this exceptional treat in your pipe. If you do try it, you will likely order from C&D by the pound. Trust me, I have smoked just about everything from syrup to heavy latakia for 42 years. Moisture retention is perfect in an air tight container for a very long time. Ready to smoke immediately without any drying. Texture of this burley is unbelievable and beyond words to describe. Don't be fooled by the name, it is a jewel and worth a sample. What a treat this is!

Aldo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aldo (31)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I've seen searching for a nice Vanilla cavendish for some time and I believe I've hit on one with this blend.

The previous reviewer compared this to Fred Stokers "Vanilla Custard." Looking at samples of the two in front of me right now, this CD blend is dark brown, rather than black as is the Stoker product. The CD product, while moist, is much less so than the Stoker product

While the Stoker product is indeed very heavy vanilla, the CL product is lighter, but tastes better, with an almost nutty background, and allows a bit, although admittedly not much, of the background tobacco taste to come through as well.

Very enjoyable occasional smoke.

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (26)

This aromatic is just what it says it is, vanilla. As other reviewers have mentioned, it comes quite moist and clumpy in the tin. If you are a novice smoker, this means you have to let the tobacco dry out before you smoke it. For me this meant 4 days minimum of just drying. Right out of the tin it was nearly impossible to light and to keep lit, and the taste was somewhat underdeveloped. This tobacco is not heavily cased in vanilla, so it's quite mild. The leaf is actually quite good, not shavings or scraps. Recommended.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Not impressed. Quality tobacco, but I expect that from C&D. I also expect better flavor, which was completely absent from this blend. Very flat and bland for an aromatic. Not recommended.

Slickheadhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slickheadhunter (7)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Very Pleasant

Green River Vanilla is an excellent tobacco alone! Its full sweet and tasty,has no bite,and smells terrific. Theres just a little something missing,while testing other blends I tried #103 Big & Burley and loved it,but it was a little too much for me to smoke all the time.Then I had the bright Idea to mix a pinch of the B&B to a pipe full of GRV,what I did was create my all time favorite.When I smoke the B&B alone I cant really taste the latakia or turkish,but mixed with the GRV every now and then I get a hint of them both.Thanks to the B&B the nicotine gets a small boost,and combined with the GRV theres a flavor explosion. I love it and highly recommend trying it for yourself.

Update: I have recently tried a pinch of Burley flake #3 in a pipe full of GRV and its another hit for me! The flake/GRV mix is a little more refined and slightly sweeter than Big & Burley.Very rich and full...I love burelys!

The Black Falcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Black Falcon (19)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Being a fan of aromatics, such as myself, i try hard into giving my best shot on each blend that i try. Most are pretty good and some just does nothing for me. This blend from C&D just doesn't cut it. I was rather hoping that it could at least give MacBarens Vanilla creme a run for its money and taste, but it falls way short of even being a delightful aromatic smoke. Upon opening my tin of this promising stuff, i found that it could most definetly air out for a few days. It was hard to light and stay lit and normally i don't have a problem with that. G.R.V reminds me of a few Mclelland blends that i've tried. Too moist and goopy to even think about burning a bowl. Sorry, but this just doesn't cut it for me.

DBE1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DBE1 (6)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

this is the mildest tobacco I've smoked. Good for a new smoker or anyone that enjoys Vanilla I'm just starting to enjoy Vanilla flavoring.

Sorringowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sorringowl (8)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

The 2 oz tin I got of this was just a tiny bit on the moist side so, I usually let some air out before smoking. This has a very mild Vanilla flavor and for me, it tasted more like a mild liqueur. What you mostly taste, however, is a quality Burley that burns nicely and doesn't smoke hot so long as you're not a huffer and a puffer. This was one my first pipe tobaccos and I would recommend this to most beginners. I might buy this in the future again but probably not right away as the taste is, well, maybe not one dimensional, but more like two dimensional: good burley and mild, not overpowering flavor. Still, a good, quality tobacco from C&D.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Yep another sampler pack sample. green river vanilla is a good blend and a new favorite for my aromatic rotation. the all black tobacco is all you see when opening the tin, wish the coffee filter was in the tin like some of the C&D blends have. The wife test past for the aroma of vanilla is her favorite,I do add some latakia to it for more robust flavor.

huffnpuff

Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Wow, a Burley/Vanilla combination; what a concept! (-;

Actually, I like mildly Vanilla flavored leaf on rare occasions and last night I finally tried some of this. After about 20 puffs I decided maybe the pipe wasn't lit... It was. So, I mixed a new bowl 50/50 with Five Brothers and got a real smoke out of the deal.

Nice flavor!

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)

If you are looking for a very good vanilla tobacco, I recommend this without hesitation! Another very good C&D aromatic, this is probably one of the best vanilla aromatics I have ever smoked. Very pleasant tin aroma, packs well, but did require several relights. ( I believe this to be "the nature of the beast" for most vanilla aromatics ) Fantastic room note, this would please even the most die hard anti-smoker type in the room. Recommended!!

UPDATE 1/09/07=

I find as I smoke this that it is still a great tobacco, but very "one note" in the depth department. For Christmas this year I recieved a 1 pound tub of Sir Walter Raleigh from a friend. I enjoy SWR, it is a classic American Drugstore Blend, also a "one note" blend, but I am not complaining. NOW, I took the two ounce tin of Green River Vanilla I had cellared, and blended it in with the one pound of SWR, and let it sit for about a week...And,WOW!! This is a great marriage! The vanilla really dresses up the SWR and makes it an extremely pleasing blend! I know that some tobacco "snobs" out there will scold me for this, but I must say, this is a very nice combination! A very nice change of pace, and, the tobacco does burn evenly with few relights. Also, no tonguebite whatesover, burns to a nice grey ash with very little dottle. And the room note I have been told, is quite pleasant! Give it a try, I feel you will not be dissapointed!!

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)

When looking at the tobacco it is very dark similar to Planta Danish Black Vannila. There was none to very little aroma when opening the bag of Green River Vanilla, sort of hoping for a the sweet aroma of Vanilla.

Packing the pipe was very easy with the broken flake as it tumbled to the bottom of the bowl with little to no effort.

When I first lit the tobacco I sensed there was no flavor, but after the first few puffs my senses took on a delightful aroma. The taste falls in between a mild and medium, with a mildness at the first match to a medium taste as the tobacco burned towards the halfway mark of the bowl. Towards the bottom of the bowl the tobacco took on a sweetness with the Vanilla becoming more prominent.

This blend can entice your taste buds without a harshness, but could nip your tongue if smoked too fast.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I was given a sample of this from a buddy when I was in a vanilla aromatic phase. This is high quality Burley and comes extremely moist for a C&D blend. It's all black and has a light topping of vanilla. It lit and burned fairly well and the taste was mainly burnt sugar more than anything else. Not a bad aromatic, but it smoked a little wet and there wasn't enough vanilla flavoring. Fred Stoker's Vanilla Custard (or something liike that) seemed identical and was half the price for a pound. I prefer C&D's Aromatics when they don't have a heaping of black cavendish...