The ultimate in natural quality tobacco. 100% A-1 Bright Matured Virginias pressed and single cut in the classic British European tradition.

Notes: Available in 5 lb. brick. Individually boxed.

Blended BySutliff Tobacco Company
Packagingbulk
Strength
Taste

A wonderful surprise. My physiology usually has ph problems with Brights. They, more often than not, bite the fool out of me. No hint of a bite with this flake. The flavor is just as JimInks stated, sweet hay with a touch of earth. I do get some citrus notes toward the end of the bowl. It's not complex, but it is very pleasant and relaxing. This is a 3.5 star flake, but since it's so "toothless" I'm gonna give it 4.

Mild to medium in body and flavor. I prefer it rubbed and dried. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Mark Twain, Patriot

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

JimInks (2040)

A very mild bright Virginia flake. There's not much strength or nicotine to it by design. The flavor is rather one dimensional, having some citrus, a lot of grass and hay, along with slight earth notes. Has a very mild nic-hit. Won't bite, but can burn a little warm if puffed fast. An effortless smoke that burns slightly slow, cool and dry with a consistent taste. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs a few relights. Has an okay, short lived after taste, and is an all day smoke. It also makes a very good mixing tobacco for home blending if you're so inclined.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Sutliff Tobacco Company - Virginia Slices #507-C.

It's a little difficult to review this without writing what's already been said, but I'll give it a bash!

High quality. That could be the review, that would about cover it all LOL! Joking aside though, even the scent from the pouch is a paroxysm of class. And then, preparing the flakes couldn't be any easier: they're quite thin, and of the right moisture amount to make them a breeze to rub.

The ignition is easy, and it burns even and clean all the way down. The flavour of this blend, that phrase again: high quality. It's a simple Virginia one, albeit not as zesty as some Va's can be: as well as the slight citrus note, there's a bit of depth to the flavour. The biggest contributor to this depth is quite a formidable woodiness ( I guess that's my take on the earthiness a few other fellows identify!). I wouldn't describe the smoke as cool, but I would say it's one of the most lenient blends where bite's concerned.

I find the nicotine quite mild from #507, and I think the room-note's very pleasant.

Simple: four stars.

Pipe Used: Mastro Geppetto

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes.com

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (97)

Grassy slightly sweet bright Virginia as described. Slices were easily rubbed into a medium shag. Packed well into the bowl, take care not to pack too tightly! Very mild with no harshness or overly large Nicotine punch. Most assuredly an all day smoke for the smoker who enjoys a good Virginia. As with nearly all Sutliff tobaccos this one is an excellent smoke and a good value as well. Believe it would mix well with either Kentucky or Perique, which I plan to do. Details into that experiment to follow. A good entry tobacco for the beginner.😀

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie Standard 72

Age When Smoked: New bulk

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (34)

This is a great virginia flake. I smoked it in a brand new cob to get the maximum taste. Very mild, slight sweetness to it. No bite at all. It makes a great blender. This is one I like to mix with burley and perique.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (65)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased this blend because of the previous review. And I'm glad I did. This is a lovely, cool, tasty virginia flake. Excellent quality and a great value. Very well mannered and even burning. High quality virginia flavor with a slight touch of flavoring. Upon opening the pouch, you can smell the faintest whiff of anise. You can almost taste the anise while smoking, but not quite. I kept asking myself if this was really an Altadis product. That's how good it is. I thought I tasted a little perique on the finish, but I'd guess it's really the touch of stoved virginia visible while examining the flakes. It's very easy to handle. Perfect for those who havn't experienced the pleasures of a straight virginia flake. Rub out a flake and don't pack it too tightly. Delicious to the bottom of the bowl. Update: 8/17 I just came back to this blend and am enjoying it more than ever. This is a mild, flavorful flake that satisfies. Low in nicotine. Perfect, for those of us who like our pleasure on the milder side. I sometimes add a little perique just to change it up on occasion. Update: Mixing this with IRC Virginia Flake is also delicious. Two parts 507-C with one part IRC Virginia Flake.

Purchased From: PipesandCigars

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (33)
Very Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Altadis 507-C Virginia Slices

Went to the Altadis site on the Internet and browsed through their offerings list. I am not an aromatics smoker but do appreciate that those that are could find one or indeed several things to try. What intrigued me most was the Benjamin Hartwell blends (Signature and Chesdin Mixture)Good stuff. They were nice enough to send me a generous sample of each as well as several other non-aromatics I thought were intresting. All smoked well,some better than others but the Virginia Slices was the best of the bunch by far. Being a big fan of the Kendal and Peter Stokkebye's blends this Altadis offering seemed to fit in very well. The closest description I can give is that it is a very similar tobacco to Peter Stokkebye's "Luxury" blends (not the Bulleye but the others since it does have some mild sort of top dressing,I believe)It rubbed out well and "stuffed" equaly well. Nice flavor and nicotene factors both. Not strong at all but still flavorful and satisfying. Good morning or evening or even possibly an all day smoke as well. The room note is I suppose is good but as I don't smell my own smoke I couldn't remark on that part reliably but my wife assures me it is "Nice'.

The added incentive is that it is not a British tobacco which , some of which by the way I love, but hate the supply problems they seem to constantly have for the smokers in the U.S.. I got the guys at PipesandCigars.com to order it for me so if anyone cares to try it that would be the place to go. Good stuff and very reasonably priced as well.

The Piuper at the Gates of Dawn.

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (135)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

an absolute surprise. This is a very good straight virginia...mostly bright virginia it seems. Might be some other varietals in there, but in any case its a very nice naturally sweet virginia. Much better than one might expect. Id take this over a number of other more well known tinned virginias. The taste is sweet, without casing that I can detect, with a lot of hay and some citrus. Burns pretty cool considering. No bite. I like it a lot and have purchased a lot more.Aging will help.

3 and a half stars.

Purchased From: 4noggins

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (79)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Puff gently, and slowly. This stuff is very subtle. Citrus and grassy hay comes to mind. Might need a little drying time. My shipment was a little moist, but was still smokable right out of the bag. I use the fold and stuff method with this. Leave some extra out, so when it dries a bit, you can use the drier stuff as kindling. Slow burning. Leaves a fine grey ash. This is a good one with black coffee...

Pipe Used: Some Italian Estate pipe I smoke a lot from.

Similar Blends: Dunhill Flake, but not as flavorful. Keep in mind it isn't as costly as the Dunhill either....

KrzysD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KrzysD (12)

It's a good everyday smoke, nothing overpowering it has a slighty sweet grassyness and an acceptable room note . I will definitely come back to this in the future.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (58)

I recently purchased some of this tobacco to blend with. I've only ever tried one other Sutliff tobacco being I'm usually stuck on my favorite 3 or 4 brands. I was looking for less expensive tobacco's to experiment with and thought I would give this a try. These are beautiful long flakes, thinly cut into strips. I'm not a huge fan of thick flakes, so the presentation of this blend is perfect. I've just realized that I've smoked more than half of my order without having even begun blending with this. IMO, this is a great, affordable tobacco. Certainly, there are better, more complex Virginias out there, but as an everyday light smoke, this works rather well. Straight bright virginia taste, sweet and sour, with hints of muscadine, hay and grass, citrusy. Also, I think this will age very well. I will definitely be buying more of this and believe that, if I can hold on to it without smoking it all by its self, it will go great with anything. I plan to press a cake with some perique. Maybe adding a touch of oriental leaf would be interesting. The possibilities are endless. I somewhat recommend this if you enjoy the brighter side of Virginias or if you would like to get into coming up with your own mixtures. As an affordable bulk tobacco, you really can't lose.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Monsieur, Petersons Canadian Kapet

Age When Smoked: Fairly new

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars

Similar Blends: Dunhill flake, Mac Barens Virginia Flake.

Pliable flakes permit my fold and pack technique. A mild, cool smoke without bite or condensation. An alternative to Stokkebe Luxury Twist Flake with similar grassy tastes but @ ~ pricing in bulk, I'll stay with LTF.

Pipe Used: various bowl sizes

Purchased From: pipes & cigars.com

Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This reminds me of a Peter Stokkebye product, Luxury Navy Flake or maybe a milder Orlik Golden Red . This just doesn't have enough strength , flavor , spice or interest to purchase again. Might be good for the occasional smoker and it might improve with age?

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: new bulk

Similar Blends: Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake But less complex.