The ultimate in natural quality tobacco. 100% A-1 Bright Matured Virginias pressed and single cut in the classic British European tradition.

Notes: Available in 5 lb. brick. Individually boxed.

Blended ByAltadis
Packagingbulk
Strength
Taste
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

It's just a regular Virginia flake. There's not much strength to it. It burns okay and won't bruise anything, but much better tobacco can be had without real effort. If you want an all day smoke that doesn't dull your tongue, and doesn't cost much, I suppose this will do.

Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (15)

This is a great virginia flake. I smoked it in a brand new cob to get the maximum taste. Very mild, slight sweetness to it. No bite at all. It makes a great blender. This is one I like to mix with burley and perique.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (127)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased this blend because of the previous review. And I'm glad I did. This is a lovely, cool, tasty virginia flake. Excellent quality and a great value. Very well mannered and even burning. High quality virginia flavor with a slight touch of flavoring. Upon opening the pouch, you can smell the faintest whiff of anise. You can almost taste the anise while smoking, but not quite. I kept asking myself if this was really an Altadis product. That's how good it is. I thought I tasted a little perique on the finish, but I'd guess it's really the touch of stoved virginia visible while examining the flakes. It's very easy to handle. Perfect for those who havn't experienced the pleasures of a straight virginia flake. Rub out a flake and don't pack it too tightly. Delicious to the bottom of the bowl.

Update: This flake needs to be rubbed out to release the flavor. I tried stuffing a flake into the bowl and suffered the consequences. More nicotene, much less flavor development and a hotter bowl. My head was swirling.

Update 2: I've tasted too many excellent flakes lately to leave this one at 3stars. I'm downgrading this one to 2.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (33)
Very Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Altadis 507-C Virginia Slices

Went to the Altadis site on the Internet and browsed through their offerings list. I am not an aromatics smoker but do appreciate that those that are could find one or indeed several things to try. What intrigued me most was the Benjamin Hartwell blends (Signature and Chesdin Mixture)Good stuff. They were nice enough to send me a generous sample of each as well as several other non-aromatics I thought were intresting. All smoked well,some better than others but the Virginia Slices was the best of the bunch by far. Being a big fan of the Kendal and Peter Stokkebye's blends this Altadis offering seemed to fit in very well. The closest description I can give is that it is a very similar tobacco to Peter Stokkebye's "Luxury" blends (not the Bulleye but the others since it does have some mild sort of top dressing,I believe)It rubbed out well and "stuffed" equaly well. Nice flavor and nicotene factors both. Not strong at all but still flavorful and satisfying. Good morning or evening or even possibly an all day smoke as well. The room note is I suppose is good but as I don't smell my own smoke I couldn't remark on that part reliably but my wife assures me it is "Nice'.

The added incentive is that it is not a British tobacco which , some of which by the way I love, but hate the supply problems they seem to constantly have for the smokers in the U.S.. I got the guys at PipesandCigars.com to order it for me so if anyone cares to try it that would be the place to go. Good stuff and very reasonably priced as well.

The Piuper at the Gates of Dawn.