Burley, Golden Virginia and Black Cavendish are superbly balanced in this full-bodied blend richly flavored with roasted hazelnut extract.

Notes: A replacement for Lane Hazelnut.

Blended ByMcClelland
Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
1.8
canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (135)

I have quickly become a McClelland fanboy, and have very much enjoyed their Master Penman blend for all it's sweet hazelnut goodness, so my expectations are quite high for this one.

It is cut quite thin, very spongy, and packs well. The hazelnut topping was more subdued than Master Penman in both intensity and stickiness. This blend was golder in color, more musky, and had an almost English scent in the background.

It lit up like a rocket with clouds of exhaust. My first hit had very little sweetness and really no hazelnut to speak of (which is a shame, as it was the reason for the purchase). The rest of the bowl was quite smooth and I guess I could make out some other nut-like nuttiness. There was some tongue bite despite not being that heavy.

In the end it was a decent middle of the road smoke, but if I was blindfolded, I would be hard pressed to find the sweet addicting McClelland taste I fell in love with in their other products.

johnson430 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
johnson430 (7)

A very dry, quick burning tobacco with nothing exciting about the blend. I purchased a "Bourbon" blend to mix with Nutty Hazel but still flat and dry. Final note: This smells great in the bag but that is where this tobacco ends.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

McClelland - Nutty Hazel.

I like this more than the previous reviews to date! I agree it isn't anything special, but I place it a bit better than one or two stars.

Crikey, the amount of smoke this produces is unreal: corpulent, thick, clouds! The hazelnut gives a pleasant taste, albeit more 'nutty', than necessarily hazelnut. As well as this I notice a very slight hint of vanilla, for the first quarter. The only real problem, to me, is the speed of the burn: fast. Other than the speed, I find no other real problems with the mechanics.

Nicotine: mild to medium. Room-note: very pleasant.

Nutty Hazel? Three stars from me:

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Mastro Cascia

Age When Smoked: One month

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (156)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

I am a big fan of Mclelland mixtures. However this one misses the mark. This was a harsh smoke and not only did I not get any hazelnut flavor I didn't even get a nutty flavor at all. Mostly just a rather harsh tobacco taste like a bad cigarette. It smokes fast and burns very hot. I don't usually put out a bowl until finished but I did with this blend. Sorry but I would not recommend this blend to anyone.