Mild Dutch Cavendish sweetened with coconut flavor.

Notes: This was an Amar Blends Co. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Blended ByAmar Blends Co.
ContentsCavendish
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Other / Misc
Strength
Mild, Medium to Strong
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
1.5
omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Another sample I got from C&D with a recent order. It's a mix of very light tobaccos, bone dry, in a rough cut that makes it a chore to pack in any pipe. The pouch aroma is very weak and you'd never know it was coconut unless you read the description. I guess I was expecting something like the wife's tanning lotion in the aroma. I find this to be a fairly strong blend. Or maybe I'm mixing up harsh and strong. It definately needs a big big pipe to show it's flavors and they're there if you really hunt for them. It's one of those blends that once or twice a bowl you get a huge hit of the coconut flavor and the rest of the time it's an odd tasting tobacco flavor. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad blend and I usually let all C&D stuff rest for a few months before sampling but this got the best of me. I like the dry strong aromatics that this company is producing and I can honestly say I'll probably buy some more of this one day. The room aroma is nice, light (a big plus so it doesn't hang around forever and smell of stale smoke) and sweet. It's burns and lights with one match and the ash is a light gray color. Not for everyone, but I think it'll grow on me. No complaints really...

08-25-07

Never grew on me and didn't age well at all. Just got harsher and the slight coconut flavor disappeared altogether.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

My wife loves coconut, so I always try coconut-flavored aromatics in the hope I'll find a decent one to mix with some 5100 for a spouse-friendly smoke. Usually, these aromatics are bland, boring, smell a little like coconut, and are just OK when mixed with some Virginia.

So I expected a moderate, boring, slightly sweet smoke here, which, on the high side, might be as good as, say, Mellow Mack or Sunset Breeze. No such luck. This tobacco was truly dreadful; in fact, unsmokable. It was bitter and bitey in a way I have trouble describing. It tasted like scapings from a badly oversmoked old Grabow tinged with a bit of coconut flavor. I have tried many good blends from Cornell and Diehl and at least one, Aleppo, that I think is a world-class smoke when properly aged. But this tobacco was just wretched. I don't know what happened, but this was the first tobacco in at least a year I couldn't finish at least a bowlful of.