If ever invigorating could be used to describe a pipe blend, this surely would be the one. Chocolate and Mint, applied to Black Cavendish, pressed Virginia ribbon and rich Burley.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate, Mint
CountryUnknown
Strength
Extra Strong
Taste
Medium to Full, Very Full, Extra Full
Schnaupps Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Schnaupps (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

...Do you like Mint?

...Seriously, are you a mint fanatic?

…Do you prefer your mint to feel like it's clubbing you in the face with a large 10 pound candy cane with other smaller candy canes nails through it, then having wintergreen oil poured into the open wounds while inhaling mentholatum through your nostrils as your eyes water? THAT is what you get with Frosty Mint from Altadis. Without all the violence.

I love the Altadis brand. It's like having the freaky girlfriend that everyone loathes. You know the one: sexy but dangerous and very offensive to everyone with a ‘devil may care' attitude, however when you put up with all her misgivings she's a tigress in the sack. All my senses tell me I should hate this brand. That I should turn up my nose to it; pipe smoking should be reserved for more serious brands.

But darn it, Altadis is tasty.

And Frosty Mint delivers as promised. It's mint, pure and simple. In the self-descriptor it claims to have chocolate-mint. Personally I think if it ever did have a hint of chocolate in there, that poor flavor has long since been killed and tossed overboard by all that damn mint.

Now FROSTY, that's an exact word for it. Combined with Minty it pretty much tells you all you need to know about this tabacco. When I first started to pick up the pipe, I looked for a menthol aromatic because frankly I am a mint fanatic. I found most brands lacking. Then Frosty mint came along and BAM. Instant love.

It burns nice to a grey white ash. It can leave a small bit of goop, but if you smoke it right that's not an issue.

Fair Warning: It will bite your tongue with the fury of a rabid grizzly bear if you smoke it wrong, due to the overwhelming mint flavor. However if you coax it out of the pipe right it'll cure any craving you have for the brisk flavor of mint.

Another Fair Warning: the taste will linger. I dedicated a Peterson pipe to it because it'll ghost the hell out of any pipe.

As a side note, Altadis is great for mixing together other Altadis flavors and coming up with lovable concoctions. I have added a few pinches of this with custom blends and given it to friends and they LOVE it. Just a pinch will due. It gives any aromatic blend you create a nice, clean feel.

Refreshing? Hell yes.

Minty? The Very Definition.

Frosty? All winter long.

Dangerous? With the fury of all nine ice hells.

Frosty Mint by Altadis is my Freya of pipe tobacco: She'll make you bleed for it, but she's beautiful and makes you come crawling back for more.

Mint.

Mild Extra Strong Extra Full Very Pleasant

Ok, I'm a big fan of mint. I always carry Altoids or some other strong peppermint and I enjoy not only it's flavor but that it's invigorating. I do love mint, but this stuff is ridiculous! Sutliff claims to have added chocolate to this and I may have detected some in the room note but the mint completely covers up all other flavors, including that of actual tobacco. The flavor here is mint and it's so powerful that for hours after smoking it, mint is all I could taste. I only smoked one bowl, so a truckload of salt might go well with this review, but one bowl is all it took for me to know to leave this one well alone.

There is some good news here, however. The mint flavor lasts through the entire bowl (yes, I smoked it down to ash) and doesn't diminish or get dirty. There is no bite. It doesn't burn wet and goopy. And it tastes like what it's supposed to - and then some! In fact, if truth in advertising means anything to you, add one star to my assessment. If you love the taste of mint to the exclusion of all else, add at least one more. And if you add mint flavoring to your steak, scotch or anything else that typically doesn't go with mint, add a 4th. They promise "mint" and they give it to you. If I graded on a pure objective level, this would merit at least 3 stars. But pipe smoking for me is mostly subjective, and they went well overboard on the mint if their object was to create a pipe tobacco rather than a mint blast. I thought about mixing this with something else but I didn't have any crappy blends on hand that I wouldn't mind destroying with this stuff. However, I intend to keep what I have left and try that sometime in the future. This might work ok as a mixer, as long as it's no more than 10-15% of the mix. On it's own, it's a total bust, IMHO.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Strong Extra Strong Very Full Pleasant

This is mint, imagine smoking a York Peppermint Patty or an Altoid. Nothing subtle about this blend, it is strong. Take in small doses and understand this will ghost your pipe so its best to devote one to this tobacco. Luckily I have a perfect pipe, a small Savoy that this tobacco was made for. I was shocked at how minty this tobacco is but very happy with it. Again, don't load up your huge Sherlock Holmes pipe for this, use sparingly. Recommended for brave souls or mint lovers, definitely worth a try.

cyberkahuna Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cyberkahuna (2)
Mild Strong Extra Full Pleasant

All I gotta say is wow! This is supercharged strong mint and more mint all the way to the bottom of the bowl mint. It's so strong it's along the same lines as the g force feeling you get on your back against the seat when you romp a corvette gas peddle. Only this is g force for a smoking pipe!! They should put a caution fasten seat belt disclaimer on this stuff no kidding. I absolutely love this stuff and it will always be my favorite.

Piper@TheGatesOfDawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@TheGatesOfDawn (8)
Very Mild Extra Strong Very Full Pleasant

WOW! This stuff is really minty, but not in a cigarette kind of way. I detest menthol cigarettes, but I really like this tobacco. It burns surprisingly well and doesn't leave a lot of gunk behind. Frosty Mint blends well with Altadis Chocolate Truffle when mixed in small ratios, say 1:6 or less. Otherwise it will completely overpower the Chocolate Truffle. I love smoking this outside when it's cold. Blowing the smoke out through your nose is especially cool. If only Altadis would do for cinnamon or clove what they've done for mint....

username232 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
username232 (2)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

it is not as minty as i had hoped it doesnt so much tast like mint as it tasts like a very strong menthol cigarette

onizuka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onizuka (1)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Like the review before me - this stuff is a serious mint blast. I originally thought two words that were very similar seemed gratuitous, but no, it is perfectly fitting. Upon the charring light, I felt like I had just brushed my teeth with mint. The puffs there after were very much the same, the tobacco is very minty and will indeed make your eyes water should you purposely keep getting smoke in your eyes.

Do I dig it? I do.

Do I want to smoke it again? I do.

I did realize, it is very one dimension. It definitely has an aftertaste to it and will make your tongue feel like it just got coated with mint. I may have to start blending some of this into my other tobaccos, as it is very one dimensional.