If ever invigorating could be used to describe a pipe blend, this surely would be the one. Chocolate and Mint, applied to Black Cavendish, pressed Virginia ribbon and rich Burley.

Blended ByCarl McCallister

Schnaupps Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Schnaupps (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

...Do you like Mint?

...Seriously, are you a mint fanatic?

…Do you prefer your mint to feel like it's clubbing you in the face with a large 10 pound candy cane with other smaller candy canes nails through it, then having wintergreen oil poured into the open wounds while inhaling mentholatum through your nostrils as your eyes water? THAT is what you get with Frosty Mint from Altadis. Without all the violence.

I love the Altadis brand. It's like having the freaky girlfriend that everyone loathes. You know the one: sexy but dangerous and very offensive to everyone with a ‘devil may care' attitude, however when you put up with all her misgivings she's a tigress in the sack. All my senses tell me I should hate this brand. That I should turn up my nose to it; pipe smoking should be reserved for more serious brands.

But darn it, Altadis is tasty.

And Frosty Mint delivers as promised. It's mint, pure and simple. In the self-descriptor it claims to have chocolate-mint. Personally I think if it ever did have a hint of chocolate in there, that poor flavor has long since been killed and tossed overboard by all that damn mint.

Now FROSTY, that's an exact word for it. Combined with Minty it pretty much tells you all you need to know about this tabacco. When I first started to pick up the pipe, I looked for a menthol aromatic because frankly I am a mint fanatic. I found most brands lacking. Then Frosty mint came along and BAM. Instant love.

It burns nice to a grey white ash. It can leave a small bit of goop, but if you smoke it right that's not an issue.

Fair Warning: It will bite your tongue with the fury of a rabid grizzly bear if you smoke it wrong, due to the overwhelming mint flavor. However if you coax it out of the pipe right it'll cure any craving you have for the brisk flavor of mint.

Another Fair Warning: the taste will linger. I dedicated a Peterson pipe to it because it'll ghost the hell out of any pipe.

As a side note, Altadis is great for mixing together other Altadis flavors and coming up with lovable concoctions. I have added a few pinches of this with custom blends and given it to friends and they LOVE it. Just a pinch will due. It gives any aromatic blend you create a nice, clean feel.

Refreshing? Hell yes.

Minty? The Very Definition.

Frosty? All winter long.

Dangerous? With the fury of all nine ice hells.

Frosty Mint by Altadis is my Freya of pipe tobacco: She'll make you bleed for it, but she's beautiful and makes you come crawling back for more.

Mint.

Mild Extra Strong Extra Full Very Pleasant

Ok, I'm a big fan of mint. I always carry Altoids or some other strong peppermint and I enjoy not only it's flavor but that it's invigorating. I do love mint, but this stuff is ridiculous! Sutliff claims to have added chocolate to this and I may have detected some in the room note but the mint completely covers up all other flavors, including that of actual tobacco. The flavor here is mint and it's so powerful that for hours after smoking it, mint is all I could taste. I only smoked one bowl, so a truckload of salt might go well with this review, but one bowl is all it took for me to know to leave this one well alone.

There is some good news here, however. The mint flavor lasts through the entire bowl (yes, I smoked it down to ash) and doesn't diminish or get dirty. There is no bite. It doesn't burn wet and goopy. And it tastes like what it's supposed to - and then some! In fact, if truth in advertising means anything to you, add one star to my assessment. If you love the taste of mint to the exclusion of all else, add at least one more. And if you add mint flavoring to your steak, scotch or anything else that typically doesn't go with mint, add a 4th. They promise "mint" and they give it to you. If I graded on a pure objective level, this would merit at least 3 stars. But pipe smoking for me is mostly subjective, and they went well overboard on the mint if their object was to create a pipe tobacco rather than a mint blast. I thought about mixing this with something else but I didn't have any crappy blends on hand that I wouldn't mind destroying with this stuff. However, I intend to keep what I have left and try that sometime in the future. This might work ok as a mixer, as long as it's no more than 10-15% of the mix. On it's own, it's a total bust, IMHO.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Strong Extra Strong Very Full Pleasant

This is mint, imagine smoking a York Peppermint Patty or an Altoid. Nothing subtle about this blend, it is strong. Take in small doses and understand this will ghost your pipe so its best to devote one to this tobacco. Luckily I have a perfect pipe, a small Savoy that this tobacco was made for. I was shocked at how minty this tobacco is but very happy with it. Again, don't load up your huge Sherlock Holmes pipe for this, use sparingly. Recommended for brave souls or mint lovers, definitely worth a try.

cyberkahuna Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cyberkahuna (2)
Mild Strong Extra Full Pleasant

All I gotta say is wow! This is supercharged strong mint and more mint all the way to the bottom of the bowl mint. It's so strong it's along the same lines as the g force feeling you get on your back against the seat when you romp a corvette gas peddle. Only this is g force for a smoking pipe!! They should put a caution fasten seat belt disclaimer on this stuff no kidding. I absolutely love this stuff and it will always be my favorite.

Piper@TheGatesOfDawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@TheGatesOfDawn (9)
Very Mild Extra Strong Very Full Pleasant

WOW! This stuff is really minty, but not in a cigarette kind of way. I detest menthol cigarettes, but I really like this tobacco. It burns surprisingly well and doesn't leave a lot of gunk behind. Frosty Mint blends well with Altadis Chocolate Truffle when mixed in small ratios, say 1:6 or less. Otherwise it will completely overpower the Chocolate Truffle. I love smoking this outside when it's cold. Blowing the smoke out through your nose is especially cool. If only Altadis would do for cinnamon or clove what they've done for mint....

Giovanni Palomino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Giovanni Palomino (21)
Medium Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Usually the Sutliff Tobacco Company tobacco smoke hot and hurt you the language so it had some doubts about this product, but when got it the curiosity of a tobacco of mint and chocolate didn't let me be quiet immediately opened it its aroma in the pouch I menthol super impact with a rather nice chocolate note , when smoking it I loved and it sneaked into my second favorite tobacco and much to say since I've been looking for my five favorite blends and he had only found one Captain Black-Dark this is say it is much that say no by cocky but because I have the strange taste of what smoke know what smells and no to tobacco as it should be and I'm aware that in the diverse world of pipe is not very appreciated. But this tobacco packed my expectations and I loved nor talk room is note a scent very sweet mint chocolate that enjoys much my wife.

FrozenChurchwarden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FrozenChurchwarden (4)
Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

It burns well and is not particular about packing.

The flavour is secondary to the "feel", but behind the minty blast there is a bit of buttery sweetness. A lot of Burley flavor in the mid-bowl but it's a long way from being anything pure. The cooling effect starts strong and diminishes steadily through the bowl, it is still partly there at the end but the standard aromatic bitterness is more noticeable at that point so I usually dump the last third.

As of March 2016 my mason jar is a year and a half old now and still tastes reasonably good. It's not particularly losing flavour but I don't think there will be any benefits to letting it age either.

Pipe Used: Preferably a large wide bowl for maximum effect.

Age When Smoked: Fresh to Over a Year

Similar Blends: Nothing.

onizuka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onizuka (1)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Like the review before me - this stuff is a serious mint blast. I originally thought two words that were very similar seemed gratuitous, but no, it is perfectly fitting. Upon the charring light, I felt like I had just brushed my teeth with mint. The puffs there after were very much the same, the tobacco is very minty and will indeed make your eyes water should you purposely keep getting smoke in your eyes.

Do I dig it? I do.

Do I want to smoke it again? I do.

I did realize, it is very one dimension. It definitely has an aftertaste to it and will make your tongue feel like it just got coated with mint. I may have to start blending some of this into my other tobaccos, as it is very one dimensional.

Delta Bravo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Delta Bravo (4)
Mild Very Strong Very Full Strong

I wanted to know what all the hype was about when I decided to buy this. I had read reviews bragging that this was the best mint around and that it was like a mint truck hitting you and it was overpowering. Well, despite having read all of this, upon first pull from my carefully packed bowl, I was stunned and surprised. My whole mouth and lips were cool and mint kissed. I was wasn't exactly ready. The mint truck had indeed smashed into my face... and parked there for the duration of the entire bowl... then remained for a short while after. So 1) This is powerful mint. I you aren't a fan of strong mint and it's cooling properties, this isn't the ride I suggest you hitch. It's a complete mindf**k because it cools your mouth when your mind is ready for the heat of the smoke. 2)I'm not sure I considered it "overpowering" but i can see where those sentiments can come from and 3) I can believe it when people say this is the best of what's around for mint. Honestly, if there is a stronger mint, I'm not sure I want it. I mean, this is plenty powerful and a man(or even a woman) has got to know their limitations!

This is a cool, smooth and interesting smoke to say the least. It boasts of mint, and you get it and then some. For that it gets 2 stars from me. The description talks of chocolate, but I got none. I searched far and wide for a hint of chocolate but, alas, my palate could detect nary a trace. The 3rd star is earned by my desire to repeat the experience and the fact that it has utility for the future for being mixed with other delicious flavors to make things interesting.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Silkebrun 232

Purchased From: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/

Armeniandude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Armeniandude (9)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

They weren't kidding when they say this is minty. And not menthol cigarette mint, but biting into a york peppermint patty and being left for dead on the top of a mountain mint. From the first puff all through the bowl, it stays minty. mid way and down I sense the hint of chocolate but it's barely there. It's incredibly refreshing for me and unlike any other tobacco I've tried really. I'll be sure to make room on the shelf for this one. No bite from this and found myself smoking 2 bowls back to back which I rarely do. Pair it with some iced tea and I'm set for summer. I actually really liked this, but I also really enjoyed Captain Bob's Blend...so what do I know?

Smoke in a cob unless you like ghosting. I'm thinking I could mix a bit of this into Captain Cool since the mint that was supposed to be in there clearly didn't make it.

Pipe Used: corn cob

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (28)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

First things first. I gave this tobacco 5 stars because during the years I smoked cigarettes it was only and I mean only Kool non filters and roll my own Prince Albert. If you were not a menthol smoker you may think otherwise about my following comments. In MHO this is the old Kool's from the 60's and early 70's, no ifs ands or buts about it. Real tobacco taste (like PA) with a full share of menthol (like the old non-filter Kool's). As much as I like it, it is not an every day smoke as it is much like a box of Junior Mints at the movies, i.e. once you leave the movie you go get some real chow and do not eat more candy for dinner. As good as Junior Mints are, if that is the only thing you have to eat all week you will grow weary soon. If you are an ex-cigarette smoker and did not like menthol's, you better only buy one ounce in case you choose to stay away from this blend. If you were a menthol smoker, I feel you will want to buy 1/2 pound, put it up in a tightly sealed mason jar and keep it around for a great once or thrice a week smoke. To me and the Angel Wife, the smell is great and the after taste is sort of refreshing. Try this while drinking iced or hot tea. A good mix. With coffee, uh, not so good. You could puff this like a freight train climbing Mt. Everest and not get tongue burn. It does not ghost either of the two pipes I smoke this in but again, I only smoke one, maybe two bowls per week of this stuff in each of these pipes. I usually follow up with the next smoke in these pipes being Hobbits Weed or Spillman. Neither have any menthol ghost follow up to my taste buds. Sutliff did an amazing job with this mix. I have a full cabinet of many pipe tobaccos because we are truly living in a great age of pipe tobaccos. This will stay as a regular in the tobacco cabinet for as long as I can order. Thank you Sutliff for stepping out and filling a taste and smoke that is a good addition to the current tobacco mix pile.

Pipe Used: Vauen and Big Ben

Age When Smoked: new and 5 years

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: No pipe tobacco I have ever had..

Jason h. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason h. (41)
Extremely Strong Very Strong Extra Full Tolerable

I don't really know what to say, this stuff came shipped with another order, and it had to be packed separate......that should tell ya' something. This stuff is extremely "minty", and has the taste of hmmmm, cigarettes? Dunno, all I can tell you is that I cant recommend this one. I smoked about a quarter bowl, dumped it, and threw the pouch in the back seat and reached for the "Sutliff Vanilla Custard." If you wanna try it, good luck!

Pipe Used: Ropp

Purchased From: Pipes and Tobaccos

Joaquim Pancho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joaquim Pancho (7)
Mild Very Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First of all I do like mint but not in the tobacco. In the bag smells great, I could smell the chocolate and the mint, in the pipe the mint takes over, in my opinion very strongly and the chocolate is undetectable, I couldn´t taste it at all. One thing is certain it leave my mouth fresh. For the lovers of mint this is the blend no doubt about that, but is not for me, sorry.

One last thing, if you are going to try it, I advise you to use an old pipe, or not one of your favorites pipes, or to clean very well the pipe after you try it, because if you don´t, when your going to fill the pipe with another blend all your going to taste is the mint, not the new blend you just put in.

Hope this was helpful.

Pipe Used: Mario Grandi

Purchased From: 4noggins

Fred T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fred T (67)
Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Back in the day everyone smoked Kool cigarettes. One reason being for the menthol rush. I don't think I need the rush in a pipe tobacco. Interesting concept though. Great for menthol lovers. A 1 for me.

Pipe Used: Castello

Age When Smoked: 6 months.

username232 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
username232 (2)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

it is not as minty as i had hoped it doesnt so much tast like mint as it tasts like a very strong menthol cigarette