A robust English blend with character. Plenty of Latakia, Pressed Virginia and Burley provide the base. Perfect for fans of Dunhill My Mixture #965.

Notes: This blend is manufactured by Altadis and sold under their "Sutliff Private Stock" brand.

Blended ByCarl McCallister

Strength
Taste

2.7
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I think it's slightly stronger than Dunhill 965, and doesn't taste like it at all. The latakia is strong without being a lat-bomb, or overwhelming your senses. It's the main player, taste-wise, but the light, nutty and earthy burley and the Virginia rounds out the flavor quite well. It burns well, clean, and even with no bite, no dottle, and no bitterness. It's great in briar and even better in a meer. The room note is not overly strong either. Well worth buying!

CGHurlburt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CGHurlburt (24)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Got my free sample in the mail. I was impressed with the size of the tin. A nice amount for a sample, actually a full sized tin.

I opened the tin and was met with a pleasant aroma. The latakia was the dominate aroma, but the virgina and burley could be detected as well. Not bad at all.

I chose a medium bowl pipe to try this out in. A trusty Savenelli pipe of mine. I loaded it to the top and fired it up.

First impression was that this is very much NOT 965. Not even close. I don't understand how anyone could make a comparison with the Dunhill 965. However, it isn't bad. I feel bad giving this tobacco only 2 stars, it really deserves to be rated a little better, but I can't give it 3 stars. That would be giving more than deserved.

The Good: This tobacco burns even, doesn't bite, tastes pretty decent, and isn't too expensive.

The Bad: Well, there really isn't too much bad outside of the taste just not being nearly as good as so many others available. To be honest, this is a decent smoke. It just isn't ringing my bell. There are simply too many other blends that I will reach for before I'll consider this one. I've already used it to introduce a few new "pipe-curious" smokers to english style blends and have done so with positive responses.

If you see this in your local tobacco shop and you are needing a good smoke while waiting for your "order" to arrive, then I recommend it fully. It will do the job.

For the record. 2 1/2 stars.

ArmedOctopus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArmedOctopus (18)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I believe this was the very first experience I had with English tobaccos and I have to say, it is what began my love for them.

Tin: The tin note, like all English blends, has a smokey aroma that is impossible to miss. There seems to be an almost barbecue sauce note to it as well that is not quite tangy, but very close. The moisture level right out of the tin is perfect. No drying needed.

Light: This blend lights as easy as pie and the charring light may even be all you need to get going.

Smoking: Blend no 5 is very smooth and light. I don't think you could get this blend to bite if you wanted to. Smoke is thick, creamy, and very pleasant. While this won't rank real high with the women-folk, I think the aroma is not unlike toasted marshmallows. Overall, the flavor is pretty mild, which is what I personally prefer. When I'm done smoking, I want the aftertaste to taper off quickly and this blend fits the bill. It reminds me of the Frog Morton line (albeit much cheaper, which is a plus) but it has a certain something extra that I love. I wouldnt call it a Lakeland essence, but there is a slight perfuminess to the blend (especially detected when exhaled through the nose) that I can't quite put my finger on. It isnt overwhelming but I must say, it is what sets it apart from the other English blends I smoke. Puff too hard and you'll miss it, but puff gentle and slow and you'll notice the subtlety of this flavor. As a matter of fact, if you puff to hard on this blend, it destroys the flavor and you may find yourself wanting to toss the tin, as it will turn from a nice smokey flavor to a more burnt one.

Overall this is a very simple, mild smoke that could easily become an all-day pleasure. It is a good, solid English with no bite and a fantastic (dare I say, unbeatable) price.

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (72)

Blend No.5

Tin Note: Great Smokey Smell,

Tobacco: Good Moisture Content, Good Leaf Content with a somewhat course cut texture

The Burn: The tobacco burned good from flame to finish. Even though the latakia is not strong in comparison to some blends on the market it does hold the top note of this blend - but if you smoke slowly sweet burley / virginian tobaccos show later in the bowl. I Have yet to try this one in a clay - that might be the ticket !

Room Note: Whenever i smoke anything with a Latakia tobacco for some reason i can not smell my own room note so i take it as being good for me not so good for the Mrs.

my 5 star rating = 3.5

even though it smoked good and tasted fine - this blend just seems to be missing something to set it apart from other similar blends

Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a nice middle English, but unfortunately it has the chemical taste of many aromatics. This is cased with vanilla or maple and was quite appealing at first. This burned really well and the smoke was creamy. The Burley and Virginias were very nice and there was a wonderful nutty aroma. Still I could not get past the chemical taste/aftertaste. Probably will be the last time I try and AroEnglish blend...have been disappointed too many times. If you happen to like these types of hybrid blends, definitely try this.

Smoke in peace.

DaSquid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaSquid (10)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

There is a dirty little secret in the cigar world: Many of the major manufacturers will market the same cigar blend under several different labels - and Altadis is one of the major culprits. Frinstance, they might take a rather generic blend and market it as a cigar shop's "house bundles," then market it as another two of three different bundled brands, and then again as two or three different box cigar brands - but give them different bands and packaging. Slightly dishonest, maybe, but they sell a lot of cigars and have a wide range of products to offer to people with wide income ranges.

They now seem to be doing this to pipe tobacco, and I suspect that Sutliff Number Five is one such example. It strongly reminds me of the first English blend I ever tired - some bulk "house blend" that I bought at a shop somewhere near Annapolis, MD, back in 1987. It was called "Lord Limey" or some such silly name. I suspect this is the same blend, only sold in a tin to make it appear "high class." I know I've saw and smelled this blend being sold as a "House Blend" in a cigar shop up in Fort Worth.

That being said, this is not a bad beginner's blend. It's mild, well-behaved, and provides a pipe smoker who is new to English blends with a smoke that is not so rich in Latakia that it sends them repelling in horror. It's actually not a bad smoke - just to bland for my preferences. It is also too expensive for what you get. (I got this for free as a promotional from Altadis, and it will go into my cellar to be used as a fall back if I run out of other English blends).

Since I suspect that Altadis simply "put lipstick on a pig" with this blend, I think the newby English Smoker would be better served to go with a B&M "House Blend" cuz chances are it will be an Altadis Bulk, probably this blend anyway, at about half the price.

I don't think this is a bad blend, but considering that I think it is simply a basic bulk blend that Altadis has canned and doubled-up on the price, I cannot recommend this to anybody.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (55)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is an aromatic English crossover blend, with emphasis on the aromatic. Though I smell significant latakia in the tin aroma, it is only barely perceptible while smoking. I found it a bit too sweet for my taste due to the heavy presence of tan cavendish. It does not have a specific flavor such as vanilla, it is just a perfumed sort of sweetness. The main flavor is of the sweet cavendish with the latakia providing additional fullness with very little of it's smoky flavor. The most likable aspect of this blend is the thick billows of pleasant smelling smoke it provides. If you like blowing smoke rings, this is for you. It is also extremely smooth. Being a Sutliffe blend, I kept waiting for it to turn nasty after the first half of the bowl, but that never occurred. The base tobaccos are of good quality and it tastes pretty much the same from the top to the bottom of the bowl. This is an aromatic, though, and it will gunk up your pipe a bit. If you have a sweet tooth or like aromatics and or crossover blends, you might give this a try. The reference to 965 is ridiculous; this is to Dunhill 965 as Spam is to steak.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I tried this blend based on the output from the company website application to help find my perfect blend. I took the quizzing twice to make sure and then bought a tin of this and Bosphorus Cruise as well.

Some reviewers found no toppings in Blend No. 5. I, however, was immediately reminded of Esoterica's St. Ives as soon as match hit the leaves. I did not like St. Ives at all. The topping here is not heavy but the flavor is nearly (if not exactly) what they put on R Blend. With this blend the heavy Latakia masks the topping, but it's there.

I wish I could post that I just confused Blend No 5 and R Blend, that I ghosted my pipes, that I smoked them too close together in time. But none of that is so. I had long finished my tin of this blend and cleaned my pipes many times before I ever opened the R Blend. Such a shame because sans topping this is a super blend with a wonderful tin note and in well prepared ribbons. I will still give this 3 stars because I know my aversion to flavorings (most of them anyway) should not override a decent blend.

Pipe Used: Briars

Age When Smoked: New production

Similar Blends: Esoterica Tobacciana - St. Ives.

By way of disclaimer, I have never smoked 965, so I am reviewing this on its own merits and not by comparison to something else.

This is a lat-forward medium strength English blend. I have enjoyed it, and found it a solid player in a crowded field. To my palate this to be mostly latakia and Virginia in the flavor profile. The burley may give it some body, but for me it does not contribute to the taste in any way I can pick up. An interesting characteristic of this blend for me is a smooth and full "mouth feel." This may be the burley. Other reviewers mention a topping, and I can't detect any at all. Perhaps pipes were ghosted?

This is a pleasant blend I would buy to keep in inventory. It was smooth and tasty. It comes at a good price point. I don't hesitate to recommend it to someone who likes or wants to try a blend of this type. Like others of this genre, it has a room note that may not be the most friendly to non-smokers.

The first bowl of this was good, and I find I am liking it more as I smoke through the tin.

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Smells nice in the tin. This is a blend I picked up at JR's as a freebie when I purchased X amount on a certain day last year. I opened it up and said to myself that it might not be so bad for a free tobacco.

Didn't smoke it for a bit, and had a slight cold when I did get around to it. Not sure if it was the head cold, the cold air outside or what, but it was the worst experience I've had to date. I only kept it because I figured I'd give it another round one day, but it left such a horrible taste in my mouth, coupled with that smell, that I haven't brung myself to go back to try it yet. I will one day, horrible at first try.

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (57)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Winner. Almost a full home run.

Big statement this, this is a well research, crafted and presented smoke, with a lot going for it.

Its simple, strong, and very well done. The burley gives it big body and helps the burn, the Latakia is high in quantity and quality, the VA's overshadowed a little but they come through.

Decent Nic level, big flavors, heavy smoke and aftertaste.

I love it.

Sutliff, you get better and better each go-around, and this is an English I have reached for more than once.

Keep powering.

The Hun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Hun (10)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Ok, so, latakia is not one of my favorite condiment tobacco. I've tried a couple of English blends in the past and found them to smell and taste of road tar from the latakia. I tried the Holiday Mixture Match from the same blender and found it to be a very good blend with its hint of latakia--maybe I was missing out on a style of tobacco that so many others seem to love.

My problem with Blend No. 5 isn't the latakia (I've sorta steeled myself to whatever the content level is here) but with the blend itself. Something seems to be missing. The blend isn't necessarily flat. The upper levels of taste are there--it's the bottom that is lacking, like it needs more burley or something to fill it out.

Maybe my palate isn't sophisticated enough to appreciate this blend adequately. The nicotine level is appropriate. There are ocassions I actually want to smoke No. 5. I never come away feeling satisfied though.

Rating this is tough for me. The constituents seem to be quality stuff. The blend has not converted me into a fan of latakia. I'll rate it Somewhat Recommended but it's probably better than that.

KCWGG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KCWGG (7)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a mild English blend that I feel would be great for an aromatic smoker looking to break into the English world. It definitely has a topping. Smokes cool, but needs drying. The Latakia is apparent in this blend without being overpowering, and, strangely, one will occasionally get a hint of marshmallows. Not my favorite Sutliff English (see Field Master), but not bad.

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (40)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

Tin note is lat heavy, smoky, woodsy.

Initial char has none of the "bready" characteristics of other English styles. I get a lot of woodsy lat with some bitter citrus pith and toasted walnuts.

Throughout the bowl (I used a very small 20 min pipe to sample this so the "middle" was shortlived) the flavor was much the same, scant spice or bready characteristics, mostly latakia and virginia. A very faint caramel sweetness covers the mouth. There is a hint of bite, but as soon as you notice it seems to disappear. No gurgle at all and a coarse oily grey ash left behind with no dottle at all.

Room note is dominated by latakia. Not much else. This is a "porch smoke" for me.

All in all, not an unpleasant smoke. If you like a mild blend that is both bright and brooding, and dominated by two distinct tobaccos, this may be good for you.

Pipe Used: small meer apple bowl

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)

I bought this on a whim because i was at the store and in the mood for a latakia fix and this is what they had readily accessible. I have enjoyed this blend from time to time over the past month or so. It doesn't have a huge hit of Latakia but contains a good bit of it. It burns good all the way to the bottom sometimes with out a relight. The only issue i have is a strange and unpleasant after taste i think is coming from one of the oriental leaves used in this blend. Other than that it is a good blend and the aftertaste may just be my taste and not everyone else so don't be afraid to try it. overall its a pretty decent english.

Purchased From: local tobacco shop

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (110)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

.Starts and stays cool and smooth. Creaminess to the smoke. Latakia in just the right amount to complement the other blending components. A nutty flavor is in the background, as well as a floral note. Burley, with spice on the retrohale, comes out when sipped Well managed in the bowl. 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Basket Pipe marked "BR", 35+ years old.

Age When Smoked: Undated tin; bought 2 months ago

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Battle Creek, MI

boxertwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boxertwin (10)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I received this as a free sample and just opened it...some 2 years later. The first thing I notice is the latakia. I am a latakia fan so I like this. It is like a weaker version of 'Father Dempsey' but it has some other flavor that is nice.

My first impressions are that I like this pretty well. It is nice for a afternoon smoke in the backyard.

It is not staying lit well but I just opened the tin and it probably needs to breath a bit.

I am not getting any kind of a vanilla casing or other artificial flavoring. If it is there it is very light. I find I like it much better than 'Perfection' and fairly close to as much as I like Father Dempsey. The Father is a bit heavier but both are nice.

Marker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marker (10)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Not much I can add that has not been said. It is primarily a smoky latakia flavor. The Virginia notes are very light fresh out of the tin. I can see where people have the illusion it is cased by vanilla or something else. Let the tin/tobacco breathe a bit before loading into the pipe. This will take out that smell. Great blend for a middle lat forward tobacco. I don't see the comparisons to 965. Dunhill 965 is a step above this because it balances in the other tobacco better. With age the blend No5 would come closer. The room note won't please your company imo. Best as an outdoor or open air smoke. What I would call an excellent campfire smoke.

CEHansen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CEHansen (3)

I know Dunhill My Mixture #965. Dunhill My Mixture #965 is a dear friend of mine, and mister your no Dunhill My Mixture #965. Otherwise, OK if that's all that's available at the time.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (41)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I too got the free sample (no longer available.) This is another one of those latakia blends that is richer in flavor than in tobacco strength. The flavor is unique. It is musky and leathery, like men's cologne. I believe there is some vanilla topping in the mix. Overall it is satisfying for latakia lovers, but not very satisfying in the strength department.

jfox520 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jfox520 (6)
Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Right from the charring light the Latakia made its presence known. The rich smoky flavor came right to the front. Which was not surprising based on the tin note. At the mid-point of the bowl the nuttiness of the Burley started coming through as well as the Virginias adding to the flavor. The Earthy and smoky flavors were still the dominate factor to the end of the bowl. Even once the bowl was done I could still taste the Latakia.

I will definitely be smoking more this tobacco.

robb.maximilian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robb.maximilian (5)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

When my Fiance gave me this tin of tobacco as a gift, I though wouldn't like it. The packaging looked cheap, and it smelled a little too strong for my taste. It wasnt a bad smell by any means, but it just smelled strong. But when I first lit a bowl of this stuff, I was pleasantly suprised. It was actually much milder and cool burning than the strong and most unlit aroma would lead you to believe. After I got it to true light, my friend commented on how good it smelled. Even though it is an english blend, the burning aroma is very sweet, almost aromatic in character. Price isnt too bad either. It had a very slow burn, lasting for about 30 minutes in the relativly small bowl of my favorite pipe. When I first stared smoking, I thought that expensive meant higher quality. Now I know this is not necessarily the case. I would recommend this blend to anybody who likes a more mild english blend, and who tends to smoke around other people like me.

Doc Waters Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doc Waters (5)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I also received this as a free sample tin. Wow. This is delicious. I like it best in a pipe with a smaller bowl. Seems to intensify the flavors. Of course it requires a refill. LOL. I can hardly wait for afternoons on the patio with Blend 5. All my other tobaccos are getting lonely.

Just like to add that I find none of the negatives of other reviews. But I guess we are all different, and that's what makes life interesting. I will say it is slightly moist, but I don't see that as a negative. It means I can easily dry it to my preference.

PS: I thought this was going to me the same tobacco that Altadis sells in bulk as 965 Match - which I have now smoked a half pound, and enjoy. BUT the moment I opened the tin of Sutliffe Blend 5, I was surprised to find that it doesn't look the same - nor does it taste the same! To me, this is clearly a cut above. This is the one I'll be buying from now on - in the 8 oz. tin.

pipe-junky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe-junky (8)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Not a blend that will smack you you down at all.easy to smoke with enough taste to keep it interesting.Going in and out of the room i don't find it offensive but the misses can pick any tobacco that has even a hint of latakia in it and whine about the incense smell as she puts it.Blended well and smokes really good in deep bowled meerschaum to where you can just enjoy the smoke instead of thinking about each and every puff and trying to diagnose the flavors of each tobacco that's in it.I would say at least once a week this will do as a break in the rotation. For what it is i like it.

Same bitey, low quality blend you could expect from Sutliff. Glad it was free.

TobaccoMan2012 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoMan2012 (28)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I was happy to see brand in my local tobacco store, I love Sutliff Private Stock tobacco's. I could not believe how cheap it was. After I picked this one out, payed for it and left the store I was also excited to get home and smoke it. Upon opening the tin I was blown away immediately by the smell (by the way this is my first experience with an English blend.)I then proceeded to pack it in my new Medico briar. Well I light it up, thought it was nasty at first, but dont let this fool you at all because I was able to adapt to it very quickly. This review could be very long, but to get to the point... I need to go back to the tobacconist very soon for more. Please try this one!

piedpipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpipester (19)

This came as a free sample. I smoked two bowles and almost wrote this one off, but a couple of weeks has changed my mind. Two weeks after opening the tin has let some of the overwhelming latakia smell and taste mellow out enough to taste the other tobaccos in the blend. There is a slight sweetness from the virginia detectable now, and the taste has grown on me a bit. It is much lighter in the nicotine content than Dunhill, and even though it is in the style of 965, it does not totally remind me of it.

It burns clean and slow if sipped, and I detected no bite at all, so this is a candidate for an end of day smoke after i've burned vaper's all day. It may become a part of my rotation before it's over. Anyway, it's a tobacco with a pleasent flavor which burns well, and the price is very attractive as well. 3 stars.

nemstar1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nemstar1 (2)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I just got my "free sample" in the mail, which came as a pleasant surprise even as I was walking out the door to buy some Prince Albert to tide me over at the bowling alley. Needless to say - but I do anyway - I used this instead. I've been smoking pipes about ten years, and generally I prefer tobaccos with decent flavor, be they aromatic, English, or cigar leaf - or some ungodly mixture thereof.

At the bowling alley, I got compliments from the other smokers on the smell of this, although as they were all cigarette smokers, their judgement is already somewhat suspect. I put a "mild" flavoring in because I can definitely taste a full-formed Latakia and, in addition, there seems to be an underlying earthiness that I have not yet figured out exactly how to describe, but is not unpleasant. Midway through, I begin to taste a sour note underlying the Latakia, then towards the end there is an overall nuttiness (I believe someone else noted that below).

The tobacco is moist, and sometimes requires one or two extra charring lights, so that may prove evidence of topping, but it is certainly not to the level of a MacBaren's. There is a slight bite to this tobacco, but as I am usually a fast puffer, it is something that I have come to expect simply from my method of smoking, so, your own mileage may vary. So far, the dottle has ranged from simple powdery black ash to a relatively heavy (but dry) dottle, and again, that may be due to my method of smoking.

What it does not have, and what I often crave, is the nicotine slam that I'd get from 965 or Nightcap, but all in all, I'd say that it is a passable English blend that I will finish, and may keep on rotation - depending on local availability. It actually reminded me of London Mixture more so than the aforementioned other two Dunhill blends.

In conclusion - and at present, I'd call this "an all day smoke", according to my own fast and loose rating system.

Aceofpipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aceofpipes (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

First off I am new to pipes as of almost two years. I have smoked PA vanilla, Captain Blacks Royal, and Carter Hill. I started with aromatics thinking they would satisfy my tastes but I didn't find it there. After my endeavor into the world of aromatics I went searching and found myself looking for english tobaccos. So I went down to my local tobacco shop and picked some Carter Hill. It was disgusting tasted of factory or plastic; very unpleasant. Still looking i thought of trying Dunhill 965 and Frog Morton and went down to my tobacco shop to try and find them. Couldn't so I found Sutliff No. 5 and was pleasantly surprised. First thing I tasted was the nutty flavor from the burley. I also found that if you take your time or if you puff like a maniac your prolly not going to heat it up enough to really burn your tongue. Overall Good tobacco.

T. Ferguson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
T. Ferguson (9)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

EDIT The more of this I smoke, the more I like it. Same with the CD blend! Upgrading a star. I'd recommend these to anyone!

I see a lot of negative stuff about this blend. I can't agree with those reviews. I've become a bit of a latakia junkie, occasionally smoking it by itself when the urge strikes. This blend has plenty for me. Also doesn't bite in the least,which is a plus since I tend to puff a little harder than I should.

Got 3 tins at a heck of a price, have nearly finished one, and am trying to force myself to let the other two age for a bit. IMHO, this is one of the better that I've had and am a bit scared to improve it!!

If Dunhill 965 is actually better than this, I MUST get thineself to the store for the "real deal".

Long story short... GOOD STUFF...GREAT VALUE!

sentientchimp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sentientchimp (3)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

This stuff has little of the charm or character of My Mixture 965, so if that is what you're looking for I'd steer clear. The only flavor I seem to get out of this is a dull hint of latakia, which as someone pointed out earlier, has a kind of waxy flavor to it. The stuff smokes well enough and fairly cooly. However, this tobacco is just way too lacking in the area of taste for me to give it much of a recommendation.

Jallen49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jallen49 (22)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It immediately reminded me of Dunhill 965, except with less nicotine. The quality is definitely there, but if you want the "big brother" version, you might as well get the real 965, as it is available again. However, this will surely be cheaper, so if you really want to get more from your dollar, and a milder version, try blend no. 5.

No real complaints; a well behaved tobacco. Try it!

Wiseguy1982 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wiseguy1982 (23)

I finally got my free sample from Altadis, after about 3 months of waiting, which is fine, it was free.

Good thing too.

Upon opening the 1.5 .oz tin, it seemed promising. A nice smokey tin aroma. Easy to pack, and that's where the good stuff ends.

No offense to anyone who likes it, but this is garbage.

It burns wickedly hot, tastes like wax and is hard to keep lit.

If my calculations serve me correctly, I can get 2 .oz of Voodoo Queen, also by Altadis, from P&C for 1.72 more. I think I will gladly make the sacrifice to get something I really enjoy. Plus Voodoo Queen is a bulk blend and Blend No. 5 is a tin. I guess it's for puffers on a budget who want the satisfaction of a tin.

BTW, they claim this is a close match to Dunhill 965. If this is ANYTHING like Dunhil 965, I don't want to try it. I know better though.

EDIT: I let this baccy sit for a few months and came back to it. The waxy flavor has disappeared completely, and it is a wonderful tobacco, please disregard the above statements.

Jive Dadson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jive Dadson (14)

This appears to be exactly the same product that pipesandcigars.com sells in bulk as '"965" Dunhill match.' The bulk is much cheaper than no. 5 in the cardboard can with plastic lid.

Dunhill is again selling the original "965" (as of May 2012). The taste of Blend no. 5 is very similar. I do detect a hint of burley in the no. 5 that is not there in 965, and the no. 5 is not quite as smooth. The big difference is in the appearance and cut. 965 is all ribbon. The latakia and cavendish in 965 are brown, not black. The black bits in no. 5 are hard and chunky. The no. 5 does not burn as well for me so far. Maybe it needs to dry out some.

So the takeaway is that no. 5 is an okay smoke for folks who like a full-bodied, slightly sweet latakia blend. It is not as fine a tobacco as Dunhill "965", but in the bulk it is much less expensive.

Callback Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Callback (3)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I picked up a free sample of this blend and was excited to try it. When I opened the tin the smell was okay. It burned a bit hot and I had to slow down, which helped. I did end up with some tounge bite (minor). The room note was pleasant, but I coudn't get past the chemical taste. At the end of the bowl it left me with a bad aftertaste. I personally wouldn't buy more of this blend.

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)

I too am a little surprised by the amount of negative reviews of this blend. Let me say first that prior to trying Blend No.5 I didn't care for anything Sutliff put out. Their blends seemed "gimmicky" to me, cheap OTC tobacco trying to pass itself off as a boutique tin tobacco.

My view has changed somewhat since receiving a free sample tin of this from Sutliff themselves. The tin note smells of just an ordinary medium-bodied English blend. But upon lighting I was shocked by just how good this stuff was. I would easliy put this up there with Squadron Leader or Margate as far as taste goes. But what really stood out, for me, was how smooth and cool this stuff smokes. The smoke had an almost "silk" like smoothness to it that made smoking it an absolute joy.

Still not a fan of many of their other blends, but I'll give credit where credit is due. Blend No.5 is outstanding!

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)

I feel like the odd man out here, but I thoroughly enjoyed this blend. It was sweet, smokey, and all around pleasant to smoke. The Burley added a nutty component that was pleasing when exhaled through the nose. It has a mild topping that smelled like berries to me. I thought that this topping only added to the tobacco and I never detected any chemical taste that some have. The tobacco burned nicely all the way to the bottom without any fuss. This is not a complex blend but for me was a nice all day smoke that I will certainly buy again.

Soli Deo gloria!

DrCHicks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrCHicks (9)

I bought this tobacco over 2 years ago and tried it then was not at all impressed. It was very non descript, lacked any real flavor notes and only proved to be something to smoke. However in clean out some boxes at the hoouse this weekend AI found the tin long forgotten. I pack a bowl and lite it much to my suprise it has developed a flavor and has become very note worthy. The latakia has bloomed and has taken over it has now dominated the blend. It has become a strong and full bodied smoke. If you can buy this, store it for a couple of years it seems to develop into a fair smoke. I personally dont like to store my baccy that long.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This isn't ANYWHERE close to Dunhill 965.

Cheap, artificial plastic like flavoring that is absolutely off-putting. Just don't do it. Next to Borkum Riff, this is the worst tobacco experience I have had in my 15 years of pipe smoking.

jediokie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jediokie (6)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I got this blend as a freebie. It has the necessary ingredients for my favorite tobaccos: Latakia and Virginia (they also add Burley to the mix which is okay). On opening the tin it really reminded me of Frog Morton, with it's earthy, rather rich smell that I associate with English tobaccos. It was easy to pack, a little dry but not too bad. Easy to light. Harder to smoke. I'm a puffer and it can burn hot and burn hot really quickly. It may be the Virginia in it but once its hot the taste is gone. With controlled smoking it tastes a lot milder than most English blends I've had and very sweet, again probably a buy product of the Virginia.

I don't think this will be a daily smoker for me, but a good every now and then smoke for sure. It would probably be a decent intro to English blends from an aro because of the sweetness in the tobacco.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

In the tin, the clean fragrance of white burley and the smokiness of cyprian latakia combine with a slight, fruity sweetness in this rather rough, wide-cut ribbon blend.

In flavor, the interplay of burley, black cavendish and latakia takes the lead. The virginias, of a decent though subdued grade, play second fiddle. There is little, if any, turkish leaf to be descried in this. The fruity, sweetish casing remains present throughout.

Blend No. 5 is a truly competent blend made from quality leaf, though the somewhat cloying, sweet-BBQ effect contributed by the casing distances it from the austere world of traditional englishes. This went well in a chamber of any gauge.

pDzine Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pDzine (12)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I too got a free tin in the mail. I am glad I did. This is remarkably good. I'm sure that with some age, there are nuances that could be enforced and it could become more sublime. However, it came out of the mail and into my pipe. I'm about 1/2 way through the tin and am really enjoying it. The overall flavor is good. It burns well and has that burley base that I enjoy. I think the smoke is well rounded and leaves a clean palate and the smell in my moustache lingers long after lunch. (A good thing)

If you're looking for a Lat bomb, look elsewhere. If you like to taste your tobacco, this might be for you. Clean round tobacco taste. Mmm...

Phototone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phototone (6)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to like here. Reminds me of cheap bulk blends that reside in the jars at tobbaconists. Nothing here, move along.

azguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
azguy (18)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

I received this from a friend who knew that I sometime smoked 965. It has been my experience that knock-offs of latakia/oriental blends are best smoked after aging. I did try one bowl in a Dunhill tanshell; cloying and harsh! However as noted above, I will be giving this a try sometime after Thanksgiving. Post Thanksgiving dinner. I wish I had stopped after the candied yams.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Not something I would waste any time or money on. I was given an unopened tin to try by my tobacconist, and suffice it to say that I will not be buying any. I actually did something that I rarely do, it was thrown in the rubbish bin after the first bowl. Life is too short to smoke really bad tobacco.

If Sutliffe planned to knockoff MM965, they have missed by a mile! Any true lover of Dunhills most revered blend will be sorely disappointed with this attempt. I wish these low end tobacco companies would just concentrate on doing what they do best(?)...tobaccos of dubious quality saturated with foul smelling goop to satisfy the very light bodied aromatic crowd.

As usual, these comments are IMHO. Your experience may be different. Cheers!

milos359 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
milos359 (4)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

My friends and I have tried this mixture out in hopes of finding two things. 1) an alternative to Dunhill 965 2) an inexpensive alternative to Dunhill 965 We did not find it :-( I like this as an occasional smoke, not for everyday. It is a good medium English (or English equivalent). Try Straus Tobacconist's #412 as a great alternative. They recently switched over to a different mix for #412 and I really like it!

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Sutiff #5 .. In the process of making a Dunhill 965 replacement, the blenders succeeded in making a OK standalone mixture, tin aroma and all. I find its strength noticeable and satisfying, with a bevy of nice flavors to enjoy. My tin needed only minimal drying time. Just pack, apply the 2 step light up and off you go into a cool, no bite smoke. This stuff has good possibilities, but my tin seemed a bit green, so I'll come back in a year or so and see what happens, as is, IMO it's kind of raw. My personal rating 2/5

Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (32)

Received this tobacco as a sample and was pleasantly surprised. Nice aroma out of the tin. Smoked this in my large meer and found it to be mild but flavorful. Defintley one of the best freebies I've ever received! Will be buying some of the other blends in this line to check them out. Good job Altadis and Thank You!

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (29)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

as stated below, Altadis is to be recommended--they are trying-- some of their more recent stuff is actually now acceptable--

tin aroma was high latakia, which thinned out in the pipe--

packed well; after the char i did require two lights--that was likely my error--

after i got it going it burned evenly; cool and dry--dry even in a kaywoodie that smokes well but is prone to wetness at times--

a mild english type(not exactly a true english)-- in no way overpowering--if you think you might want to indulge in an english blend, but are put off by intense latakia, give this one a try--i couldn't smoke it all day every day, but it will find a spot in my rotation--

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)

Another sample from Altadis, this time around it's something I can smoke! I'll call this an American rather than an English blend, for the addition of Burley to the mix.

The description passes this off as an homage to 965. Why, it's hard to guess...there are no Orientals, this is clear. If anything, the brown Cavendish can be described as Burley, before the treatment. Perhaps Altadis is suggesting the blend has a nutty sort of taste, I don't know.

Do not object just yet--No. 5 will grant you a sizable portion of Latakia. Opening up the tin I could see roughly 40 to 50 percent, and that comes through in the smoke. The other half of the blend is a mixture of Burleys and Virginias, but I can't tell them apart, to be truthful. The smoke is somewhat sweet, and people have talked of a casing. I can't say much about that either.

No.5 came to my door in an oversized tin, labeled as 1.5 ounces. That's a bit peculiar, I say, but the packaging and presentation are both very nice. Inside the tin, the contents are dense--could there be more than 1.5 ounces?

No. 5 will grant one numerous questions. In consideration, I can only commend Altadis for trying a bit harder to meet our requests. If anything, you should put those memories of pouches full of cased abominations behind, and approach the product with clear thoughts.

I will finish this.

Four of Five.

Old Toby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Toby (3)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

By far one of my favorite blends now. I received a tin of this from Altadis as a sample. Some sample I must say. I will be buying more.

They compare it to the old Dunhill 965, I don't think it tastes the same. This has much more flavor. Kicked 'Ol Dunhills tail on this blend.

Highly recomended.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Altadis does it again, the fail at making a tribute blend, and at the same time making a decent blend on its own right. The blend has absolutely none of the nutty taste that is so famously what makes 965, but does indeed have a nice balance of natural tobaccos.

CJBas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJBas (26)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

First off, I don't think this is a match for Dunhill's 965 at all. Altadis' match for that comes much closer. But that doesn't mean No. 5 isn't well worth a smoke. It's quite good if you like a full bodied blend.

From what I've read what differentiates a Scottish blend from an English blend is the presence of burleys in Scottish blends. If that is true, then this would qualify as a Scottish rather than an English blend. The burleys are up front and evident in the pouch aroma as well as the smoke flavor from start to finish of the bowl. The Virginias give this smoke a constant sweetness. The burleys give it a nutty earthiness. And the latakia gives the whole mixture a base note and ballast. If there are orientals present they remain in the background.

No. 5 is definitely a full flavored smoke but I did not detect a strong nicotine punch (most latakia blends don't have that). The taste is strong but not harsh. There's no feeling of a raw edge to smoking this tobacco. If it is to be classified as an English, then the taste is definitely unique to other English blends I've smoked.

Like a lot of us, I received this in the mail as a sample 1.5 oz. tin. If it were available locally I'd gladly keep some around for I do find it one of the most enjoyably smokes of its kind I've tried. I'd like to be able to buy it in bulk and put a half pound or so away in a Mason jar. But it seems it's only available in the 1.5 oz. tins. Still, whenever I order a few pounds of my other favorites I'll probably get a few tins of this as well. I believe it's made by Altadis, which probably reduces its snob appeal but Altadis does make some fine tobaccos and produce some fine cigars (as well as some that aren't so good).

I would recommend smoking this in a medium or small bowl. I've had no problems with it staying lit in those pipes. When I've smoked it in a large Wellington it did give me problems staying lit as I approached the bottom of the bowl. That, and its packaging/availability are really the only two drawbacks I can find in this blend. Probably not for the faint of heart, but a very flavorful and forthright smoke.

Coltrane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coltrane (26)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I have never had Dunhill My Mixture 965 and anywhere I look no one has it and my tobacconist says they have discontinued it, so I thought I would give this a try.

I was not disappointed, I am a lover of full bodied blends. My favorite blend to date is Mac Baren Vintage Syrian. This is a very close second in my opinion. I really enjoy the room note; I mean I always smoke outside so whatever aroma I can sense I really enjoy. The flavor is very nice as well; very full bodied with sweet spices. The Latakia is there but is very well balanced.

If the Dunhill My Mixture 965 is anything like this, I will definately give it a try. I think I've seen it for sale in bulk online on one or two sites; I have to look into that.

I highly recomend this for seasoned smokers and some new smokers who aren't afraid of trying something full bodied. According to my local tobacconist "Don't look for an exact copy of Dunhill, you will be disappointed." Take the mix without expectations and you will not be disappointed.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Received this as a sample from Altidis. I must say I love their Montecristo cigars. I will also say that sooner or later they will rule the pipe tobacco world. Just a matter of time.

First: I review based on what I like. PERIOD! To me a blend is either in the pipe or in the garbage, there is no other choice.

I don't care who made it or what category it is in. I do not want to read its website, I could care less where the leaf comes from, its quality or quantity, its musical or acting ability, who mixed it or if it tastes like a fruitcake.

The bullshit stops when I light my one pipe per day. I like it or I toss it.

And this is no longer in my pipe. No smoothness, not at all supple and with a heavy flavoring that makes the aftertaste last for hours. Basically to strong (robust, harsh) for me.

If you choose to try this blend, try to smell the tin first, because that is the taste that will be in your mouth for many hours after you smoke it. Maybe rum? Hard to tell.

Second: Try Count Pulaski for a similar blend from Altidis, but milder, smoother and with a more subtle flavor.

Third: Pray Squadron Leader returns. At this time there is none available in the USA except on eBay.

PS: Is it my imagination, or do prices seem to be going up about 10% a month lately?

manytrees Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manytrees (16)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Just got a tin of No 5 from Dream Castle (who is that?) and was a little reluctant to give it a try. I am an English man and nearly never review other tobaccos because its not fair to the blender IMHO.

While this is not an English (as I understand them) It was pleasant. I think comparing it with 965 was a hugh mistake, I must say that it will serve as a nice "change of pace" however. Lots of flavoring here and technically could be called a aromatic Engllsh like blend if it MUST be labeled.

The very large tin with only 1.5 oz is a bit curious but who knows?

I give this 3 stars based on its successful contribution to an alternative smoke for people like me who really like the rut we are in. :-)

Thanks to Dream Castle for the sample.

UPDATE: I finished a tin and ordered three more. It is truly a great change of pace smoke and continues to grow on me. I'm adding a STAR

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

If you are looking for a replacement for your beloved 965, keep looking. If you are looking for a good English mixture, keep looking. If you are looking for something that is satisfying to the palate, keep looking. In other words, just skip this tobacco altogether. Without going into the gory details, I will just say that this tobacco is wholly without merit; utterly pointless given the number of these blends out there that surpass; and not worth even the modest price.

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)

I recieved a tin of this in the mail and decided to wait until others had reviewed it before adding my "2 cents". This, to me, seems to be a mild to medium blend of good taste and character. Upon opening the tin, I found the tobacco to be at a good moisture level. I would call this a Latakia blend instead of an English blend due to the Burley content. This blend loaded and lit with no difficulty at all. Once burning, I had no problem keeping this lit with just the modicum of tamping. I could find no fault in strength, flavor, or room note. Some Burley blends bite my tongue, but I experienced no bite with this. I also had no problem with moisture. This left a gray ash and a dry pipe. This is not as "heavy" as some of the Latakia blends I smoke, but this is a nice change of pace, quite possibly a good "first pipe of the day". Quite possibly a blend for the beginner or the aromatic smoker wanting to try Latakia blends. Maybe not the finest blend around, but this deserves a spot in my rotation.

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

My first review, and I decided on what was a ho-hum tobacco, No. 5. I am new to the wonderful world of English blends, but not that new. Without an Oriental presence, this falls a bit flat IMO. Room and tin note are acceptable; it is the taste, however, that I find lacking. To me, there was an insufficient melding of the various tobaccos(or, I keenly missed the Orientals)...I didn't sense a homogenous mixture so much as a mish-mash of ingredients, if that makes sense. That said, I didn't abhor finishing the can. It isn't that bad, just a bit thin. I bought a second can to cellar, if only to see if aging evens it out. Since I found the 1.5oz cans for only 2.29 a pop, I figured: Why not? My recommendation? Well, English snobs would best pass it over. However, oriental haters and newbs looking for English on the cheap may well take to this weed. 2 stars overall.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I would hardly call this "perfect for fans of Dunhill My Mixture #965". And I hate to disagree with the esteemed Pipestud but if this is a revved up anything, it's a revved up Tinderbox Sherlocks Choice. :) Then again, we're all different in this crazy pipesmoking world.

This is a rather ordinary but decent light English blend. It's very sweet tasting a la SC I mentioned above and the burley further dilutes the strength while adding good body and some nicotine to the mix. There's really not a thing wrong with this blend and anyone that enjoys lighter fare, and no fancy orientals except latakia, should try it. Latakia actually has a sweet and smoky flavor and the virginias aren't overcooked so they retain their sweetness. It's a fine blend; just not anything to get too excited over. Quite honestly, it's the best Altadis blend I've ever smoked, so perhaps that IS something to crow about.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Shock and awe!

Our local pipe club gets a blend of the month from the generous folks at Altadis and this was their latest gift. Very remindful of some of the sweeter Latakia blends on the market, but the added Burley boost provides the smoker with a decent shot of nicotine. The Latakia base is certainly noticiable, but not as pronounced as it is in other blends. The added flavoring (I have no idea what it is), is applied expertly and discreetly. This is a revved up version of Rattray's Black Mallory. Very nicely done!

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (134)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was gifted a 1.5 ounce tin of this tobacco this past week. I spent most of the weekend smoking this blend only to get a good review formed. I must admit that I was kind of skeptical of liking this because #1 it is made by Altadis and #2 not being real impressed with the original MM965. But, I have been very pleasantly surprised by this blend. My experience with MM965 was early on in my quest of getting away from the aros that I used to smoke exclusively. So, I chalk that review up to inexperience. Upon opening the tin, it was loosly packed and at the right moisture level for me. This one here seems to have a mild to medium spiceiness in the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the bowl and then the Va and burley seems to calm things down quite nicely. This could very well be an all day smoke for some. The price does seem to be rather reasonable on several online stores. I may have to invest in more of this fine weed.

langston302 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
langston302 (14)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I like a good english and this was a nice addition to my list of blends. I find this one to be a smooth and lightly flavored mixture that will allow for all day smoking.

I found it easy to pack and takes to a light easily.

The flavors a subtle and light. its a good choice for a smoker who would like a simple blend.

meanmrmustard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanmrmustard (34)
Strong Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I received a sample in the mail, and when I opened the tin, could smell the Latakia in the mix right away. The flavors are typical English with a bit of a sweet after taste. The Latikia taste is not as strong lit as in the tin and the flavors are not overwhelming. No bite, but I did receive a strong nicotine buzz about half way through the pipe, so strong, I got a racing heart and the shakes, much like smoking a strong cigar. If you are into getting a heavy dose of nicotine (which I'm not) but like a mild English mix this one's for you. Will I go out and buy it, no, I'll stick with Boswell Northwoods or Frog Morton, because I smoke a pipe to mellow out and like a little more Latakia in my English blends.

Addendum March 13, 2010:

I though I might be missing something with this blend, as per Pipe Studs review (whom I usually trust and agree with). I have let the can mellow for a few months. My opinion has not changed, there is something in this that just does not agree with me. It might be a preservative or would they add nicotine? Strong stuff like Billy Budd does not bother me. This does.