The French Quarter is never boring; nor is this intriguing mixture of Burley, Black Cavendish and Virginia. Perfect for fans of Bourbon Street.

Notes: This blend is manufactured by Sutliff and sold under their "Sutliff Private Stock" brand.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
FlavoringHoney, Vanilla
Packaging1.5 or 8 ounce tin

Visit company website

Strength
Taste

2.2

The tin note is liquor, a little honey and a little vanilla. Cut is an irregular wide ribbon with some chunks and a few "fish flakes."

Smoked, this was a fairly pleasant mild aromatic that has a slight chemical taste when first lit. Room note is nice and smells a little of pastry maybe. It is hard to identify. There was not much tobacco flavor there.

This one is hard for me to rate. For an aromatic of this sort, it is probably a 2.5. My tastebuds give it a 2.

A mild to medium slow burning coarse cut plug mixture that may require a little rubbing out. The sweet liquor casing along with vanilla notes from the black cavendish are the star flavors, though there are some earthy toasted burley spots in the mix. There's also a fresh bread flavor that I've noticed in a few other Private Stock blends, too, that adds to a light hint of fruit. A pleasant smoke that may need a little drying time, or the tobacco at the bottom of the bowl can get a little hard, especially if you are a wet smoker. I consider it to be more of a sipping blend.

CriolloCorojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CriolloCorojo (18)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Low quality tobaccos, weird flavors, propylene glycol and a funny smell is what you get with this one. It does not burn properly. It leaves an awful taste in the mouth that is difficult to remove. You will need to clean your bowl with cognac or bourbon with some sea salt (soak for several hours) to exercise the demon that possesses the briar in its wake. Don't do it!

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

The tin aroma of this coarse, plug-cut cavendish is of treacly sweet coffee liqueur.

This is made primarily of cavendished light burleys and red virginias. There is a soupçon of dark leaf, most likely black cavendish, as perique doesn't seem to sensibly manifest. Heavily applied, the liqueurish topping is appealing.

French Quarter is a sweet and smooth cavendish which is thoroughly unlike Bourbon Street. It will definitely ghost a briar and seemed best in a narrow to medium gauge chamber.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (26)
Very Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

I got this tin bc I asked what is was. The owner gave it to me for free quite readily. He's a good guy, and I recommend his shop to anyone looking for a place to buy pipes and tobacco of any kind. If he doesn't have it, he will get it for you. He is however a businessman. And while it was a well appreciated freebie, it was also not unlike bad advice. A bit too quickly given, and much to hastily accepted haha. I had just purchased my peterson01 st Patricks day 2014 from him. My 3 yr old son Seamus was climbing all over his overstuffed leather couches as I was scrutinizing his wares thoroughly.

The tin sounds like it full of bbs when you shake it gently, it's not as full as it looks to be. I had it figured for broken flake, but I can accept it for being a course cut if they say so. Smells strongly of vanilla and honey. I roughed it up a bit before putting it into a slightly used cob and I set down to business.

Come to find out it was a messy business indeed. It burned like hellfire in my mouth and did not taste pleasant. Neither like tobacco nor like the vanilla it claims to flavored with. It's not that it wasn't flavored, and heavily so to my tastes. It was just not very vanilla to me. Maybe a good comparison would be vanilla coffee from McDonalds. I was wet as well. I unloaded my pipe halfway and a few days later tried again.

This time I let it sit out 10 mins or so to dry. I double charred it. It was still not very good to me. It's behavior was appalling. I couldn't get over the bland artificial nastiness of it. The nic content wasn't apparent to me either. The cut was fun to work with. It was easy to prepare for the pipe. It took a flame well enough and my wife/gf though it smelled "lovely". That's her way of making fun though. The words, "smells like the pipe fairies' favorite perfume" come to mind haha. It was free, so no harm done. I can't help thinking it may have been revenge for wee little boot prints on his lounge couches though.

I'm sure there are a large number of smokers out there who would love this blend, and they are welcome to it. It may be well suited to an experienced aro lover, or good for someone learning to smoke a pipe and new to tobacco in general. It's not for me however.

Pipe Used: MM legend

Age When Smoked: Not sure, new tin though

Purchased From: Orange cigars and more, orange ct

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (72)

Sutliff Private Stock FRENCH QUARTER

Absolutely Different Pipe Tobacco

Burley, Black Cavendish, Virginian tobaccos

Tin Notes: Rich Colors of what appears to be somewhat pressed/cut or broken flakes Good Moisture content - almost on the dry side The Aroma has complex notes of what my be a vanilla/chocolate/liquor topping

The Burn: 1st try i just loaded the tobacco into a pipe and gave it a go but the tobacco did not burn properly - so i found that you may need to further rub out the tobacco to break it up a little and after doing so the tobacco burns really good in any pipe from start to finish. The tobacco had different flavors for me in the different pipes i tried it in ranging from being somewhat harsh and bitey to a tobacco blend that is full bodied. There are good flavors to be had here - i just have not found the proper pipe or smoking session that allowed me to fully enjoy this blend

Room Note : Fair

My 5 Star Rating = 2.5 to 3

Side Note: I tried this French Quarter back when it was made be Altadis and from what i remember - this blend was much different than what i just received from Sutliff. ( maybe i am mistaken or not remembering properly) but i thought of this blend to be more along the lines of Molto Dolce or some of their other blends that were highly cased and very moist

Pipe Used: Pipestone, Corn Cob, Briar

Purchased From: sutliff, pipesandcigars.com

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (84)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

A received a free sample of this from Sutliffe awhile back. So first off, thanks guys. I let it sit in my tobacco cabinet for 6 or 8 months before trying it out, so that might explain the pleasantly surprisingly low moisture content - at least of my tin. Presentation was thick ribbon cut. Tin note was a lovely melange of vanilla and coffee bean, with a subtle kiss of sweet liqueur. So far so good.

Took a light well and burned well, particularly for the style. When sipped slowly, I could taste the vanilla and coffee bean - another rarity for the style. When pushed, this blend seems to lose flavor and become rather bland, so slow smoking is definitely the way forward with this one.

Interestingly, for an American style aromatic that actually tastes a bit like the tin note, there was shockingly little room note. Mrs Perique, a connoisseur of room notes, described it as neutral - nonexistent. I expected quite the opposite.

The tobacco itself was extremely mild, virtually flavorles, as several previous reviewers have alluded to. Overall this one left me wondering what this delightful top dressing would taste like on some robust, good quality tobaccos. This blend burned hot and fast, as is typical of the style, but left a relatively minimal amount of flavored Cavendish and PG goop in the bowl.

Overall not a bad aromatic but far too mild. While enjoyed the top noting, the room note was comparatively lackluster. Not an awful blend (and this is a style containing some God-awful blends) but not likely one I would rush out to buy. A well done aromatic is always a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately this one falls just short of that level. Certainly not horrid, so two stars as this may be a good fit for someone who likes an extremely mild aromatic.

ven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ven (13)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is a fun one! French Quarter is a blast because it's so chunky, and has a lot of character. It's like a conversation that keeps moving in different directions, so there's a lot of corners that this one takes you around. Lots of scenery. I find this one very earthy, and it reminded me of good times while out camping. Personally, I like the chunky flakes in this one, and it took a minor, minor couple of lights to get going, but when it set, it went through the whole bowl. French Quarter made the best impression on me whilst having a sipping whiskey, and enjoying some good conversation with friends at the end of the day. It's fine, but nothing great...and certainly compared to their R-Blend, or other quality tobaccos in general.

Pipe Used: Laxey Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: 45

Calam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Calam (5)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I got a free tin of this as a sample. Perhaps the fact that I didn't have to pay for it colored my review slightly, but here's what I thought:

Has a kind of chocolatey-raisin smell in the tin. There appear to be some flake chunks in there that aren't quite fully rubbed, so it was a little resistant to charring. Took two charring lights to get it going.

Has a kind of toasted bread taste to it that's really unique. I like it. I wouldn't buy more, but it's pleasant.

The Conde Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Conde (17)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

The tin note is amazing--somewhere between coffee and fresh baked bread--but it is way too mild for my taste and I am a beginner. It burns evenly but takes some work to get going. It isn't a bad smoke, but the taste is very subdued. The room note is pleasant but not as pronounced as I expected, but I have to smoke outdoors.

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)

When I opened the tin I smelled a faint but plesent vanilla smell and found this blend to be very mild yet pleasing. Everyone in the room complimeneted the scent. dry a little before you smoke just a little to moist in the tin for my liking. Recomeneded for the first time smoker because it has a mild flavor. Did not burn to hot and had no bite what so ever.

workingstiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
workingstiff (39)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Not real interesting, and the cut is odd. I love simple burley blends like Prince Albert and Velvet so I am very hard to bore, but contrary to the blurb, this tobacco succeeded. I will try at least once any blend with a reference to New Orleans, having lived there years ago. Perhaps to really honor the French Quarter it needs the flavors of fruits, nuts and liquor.

gazpacho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gazpacho (18)

After trying and enjoying Maple Street, I thought I'd give a few of their other blends a try.

Upon opening the tin, I detected a faint vanila scent, but not much else. If there is a topping or casing, this vanila might have come from that, but I don't think so. In no way would I classify this as an aromatic.

The coarse cut produces little chunks of tobacco about the size of a BB, mixed in with a good amount of loose tobacco. Packing straight out of the tin vs. rubbing it out didn't seem to make that much of a difference in the smoking quality. It is a bit more moist in the tin that it appears, so I recommend drying it out a bit before smoking.

It was a bit resistant to charing, requiring a second match to properly char and a third to finally get a good light. It smoked best hot, requiring careful attention to avoid scorching the tongue.

The flavor was difficult to ascertain until I got to my second bowl. I suppose it comes closest to toasted whole wheat bread or perhaps a toasted bagel. Occasionally, I encountered a faint bit of soapiness mixed in, but it would fade in an out, not apparently timed with how far I was through the bowl.

Being generous, I gave this 2 stars. It wasn't bad enough to deserve a single star, and I suppose this flavor might actually be attractive to a different pallette than mine. That said, I won't be buying a second tin of Sutliffe's French Quarter.