Chart your course for an adventure in smoking pleasure with this mild all Black Vanilla flavored blend. Perfect for fans of Argosy Black.

Notes: This blend is manufactured by Sutliff and sold under their "Sutliff Private Stock" brand.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
ContentsBlack Cavendish
FlavoringVanilla
Packaging1.5 or 8 ounce tin
Strength
Taste
2.7

The tin smells of a little vanilla and fruit. There is a little alcohol in the tin note. The tobacco is a coarse chopped texture, and mine was not too moist.

Smoking it is mild, and it smokes cool for me. There is not much tobacco flavor for me, but it is a pleasant smoking experience that is a little one-dimensional. For fans of black cavendish or someone looking for an easy to smoke blend, this is probably a home run. I thought it was good. I have never smoked Argosy Black, so this is judged on its own merits and not by comparison.

Room note was pleasant - like vanilla cake.

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Being a black cavendish blend, it should come as no surprise that vanilla is the star flavor here, albeit a mild one. Burns very smooth and cool with few, if any relights, with mellow consistency. There is a little blackened Virginia and aged maduro in the mix with a light alcohol topping, and some chocolate notes. It was designed to be a match for the old Argosy Black blend, and comparisons may vary as to how close it is to AB, which I've never smoked. Either way, this is a solid entry into the black cavendish genre.

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (10)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This review is based on experiences from one 50g tin. Tin note is amazing. Reminiscent of a well made white Russian. Heavy with Vanilla and a hint of coffee and some alcohol. Deep black Cavendish blend with excellent moisture when fresh. Stays lit well with maybe 1 relight once the bowl gets going. The power of the tin note did not translate into the flavor however which had but a trace of vanilla. Per black cav, there wasn't much nicotine to be had. In fact, I had to smoke a second bowl to achieve the desired affect. I didn't notice any remarkable tongue bite as one doesn't have to puff excessively to keep this blend lit.

This is a good smoke for what it is, just not my style. I don't like to rate room note as I feel the smoker can't be objective due to the senses being altered by the smoke on the palette.

Age When Smoked: new when smoked

Purchased From: smoke shop (not tobacconist)

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (63)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Sutliff Private Stock Navigator

Black Cavendish

Tin Notes: Nice Rich Dark Colored Tobacco Sweet Smelling Good Moisture Content. The Tin Describes it as being a Superior Smoking Mixture of All Dark Tobaccos ( and after opening the tin it was confirmed to be Black Cavendish)

Smoking: Since the Moisture level is proper right out of the tin, this is an easy to manage pipe tobacco. Flavorful - nice and sweet smooth. I do believe that this is a good tobacco product but it is just not to my liking,

Similar to some of Sutliff's other offerings

I would recommend this to someone who enjoys a black cavendish blend

Room Note is GOOD

My 5 Star Rating = 2

Pipe Used: Corn Cob, Pipestone Pipe

Purchased From: sutliff

Broken pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Broken pipe (3)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I have to start with the cut of this tobacco it is not ribbon cut its more of a chopped up tobacco some bits are larger leaves. Can be a bit hard to pack with a smaller pipe. However once you light up and take a few puffs you find that it is a very sweet dry cool smoke. No bite no problems stays lit smells more maple then vanilla but still very nice.

Carbon cake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carbon cake (9)

So I went to my local tobacco shop and was going to buy a tin of petersons but I have a lot of tins of it. So I kept looking around and found a bunch of sutliffs blend and I came across this one. So I bought it because I liked the picture on the tin. When I got back home and opened the tin I was surprised by how nice it smelled and I went a head and packed a bowl . This blend smokes cool tastes good stays lit and makes the room smell nice. This is a good end of the day smoke . I will keep this around.

zwolanek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zwolanek (18)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

All of the reviews of this thus far are spot on. Upon opening the can, I thought, "Whoa! This is the largest tobacco cut I've ever seen. Most of the pieces are a half inch, with some more than one inch long, and all about a quarter inch wide. Holey mackeral, will this pack?" Hence the references to cigar filler.

Yes, it packs and burns. This is the first Sutliff tobacco that I didn't have to dry out for three days. But it burns fast. I am a slow smoker - most bowls last me an hour. Navigator lasts twenty minutes.

I think calling this a 'blend' is a stretch. If the Chinese were to make tobacco, this is how they would do it. Take black Cavendish right off the boat, spray on some Vanilla, then box and send it off. There's nothing else going on here.

So there you have it, a very simple vanilla-cavendish. Tastes as you would expect, but burns faster. I can see why some folks would like it. But don't expect a lot from this offering.

Abragos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Abragos (3)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I received this tin in an online order, and purchased it because it was on sale. I wasn't really expecting much, and it's a good thing because this did not impress me at all. Upon opening up the tin your hit with a strong aroma of vanilla, smelled very similar to me of the smell of a Dutch Master cigar. The smell was okay and the only thing that I liked about the blend. It says ribbon cut, but for me I don't see it. Looks like cigar filler to me, definitely did not like this part of the blend. Very dry too, for an aromatic blend, which really surprised me. Packs easily and stays lit well. Upon smoking you get the taste of the vanilla a little bit, but not that much. It had a nice room note to it. No tongue bite whatsoever. Overall the blend was okay, but just did not do it for me. It reminded me a lot of a slightly better in taste Captain Black. I am not a big aromatic smoker so that might have had something to do with it. Definitely would not buy again, doubt I'll even finish the tin. Probably trade it or something.

Nathan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nathan (8)

I found this to be a good blend. The aroma is much stronger in the tin than in taste and aroma when smoked. Which is fine with me. Tin aroma is of very sweet vanilla. But when smoked the aroma is light and of vanilla cake. A slight sweetness in taste. To me this is a good morning or fall/winter smoke. Nothing left to say but give it a try. Happy smoking!

Navigator Blend was delivered in tins to my local pipe club a few months ago by Altadis. They do a wonderful job of supporting the club by sending a blend of the month to us and it is greatly appreciated.

This is a lightly topped Vanilla blend with little strength but a flavor that I enjoyed. The leaf was broad cut and slightly sticky. The pack and burn was easy. The aroma (with 12 club members puffing away on Navigator Blend at the same time), was like a little slice of heaven.

An aromatic that should please those who enjoy lighter, Vanilla topped tobacco.

jgr1974 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jgr1974 (2)

This is my first review. I stopped by the smoke shop after a long week, and wanted something different to relax. I seen they had different types of pipe tobacco than the usual. Drove home to read reviews, after reading decided to purchase a 2 oz can for $4.09. Not bad considering my daily smoke is about $5 for same amount. I am a very big all black cavendish fan. My usual smoke is BCA by Lane Limited.

When I first opened the can it had an aroma of choclate spice. The tobacco wa a bit dry compared to BCA, but not as dry as say Prince Albert. The color was a dark brown almost black and coffee bean colored The cut is supposed to be ribbon, but i sure don't see it. Looks more like cigar leaf filler. Big chunks and flakes of tobacco.

I smoked this in my natural finish Missouri Meerschaum. First reviewer said he smoked in non filtered pipe, so I took the filter out. I found smoke to be a little raspy, and hard to draw, but it was not packed real tight. After several puffs, I decided to replace filter. I found it to be a much better smoke. I found that one had to make fast short puffs to keep it burning. Half way through the bowl I noticed a tin taste but did not last to long. Overall I am not really impressed with this smoke, but I will give it a try again to give it a fair shake

happy jack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
happy jack (25)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a very dry cavendish, the tin aroma was awsome. The vanilla aroma from the tin is very subtle. I filled abour a 1/4 of the can in a pouch and keept it by my night stand, and every so often I would pick up on this lovely scent. I was anxious to give this a go. I am a bit miffed though, they say it is a ribbon cut, but I say it is more of a course/cube cutl. This was a suprise smoke!!!, though dry, there was not a bite, the smoke was rich and easy to roll. because of the dryness of this lovely dark cavendish it smoked rather quickly, there are a few recomendations that I would like to suggest, one if you like a dry smoke use a large bowl, brier preferred. There is no shame to put a humi disk in the can for a day or two, no more, or you will loose the pourpose of its intended dryness. I also think a filter is not for this blend. This is very nice tobacco, there is no overwhelming vanilla, but only a smooth sweet tast, that is good any time of the day, a sandblasted pipe works well. This is a friend that grows on you, it will have its place in my rotation always. There is some nic, could use a lil more, but hey, thats why there's big bowls. Sit back and let this one become your friend. 4 stars, Happy Jack I would like to say that I was wrong with my discription of the cut, after I moistend this bc, the ribbon was there, it is very dry, and fooled me. I must admit, this stuff just keeps on gettin better, I go to bed and can't wait till morning, "I must be nuts"