Another American Classic in the English vein. Smooth toasted Burley cubes blended with premium grade Latakia and Lemon Virginia Flake. Cased with a uniquely mild rum top dressing to produce a subtle pleasing flavor and room aroma. Perfect for fans of Barking Dog.

Notes: This blend is manufactured by Sutliff and sold under their "Sutliff Private Stock" brand.

Blended ByCarl McCallister

Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

2.7
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I did not like this blend and really can't think of any reason to recommend it thus the one star review. It is an American English type blend the is soaked in humectants like many of the sutliffe blends. My tin that is essentially of cardboard composition with a snug plastic cap lasted me two years. In that time the tobacco never got any drier than the day I received it. That said, it was never really moist rather the moisture content was right where I would want it.

I would say the fact that it is cheap would be a reason to purchase it, but even Sutliffe's own Fox & Hound is a more pleasurable experience than this and is just as cheap.

I would rather spend my time smoking on the 20 or so blends that C & D offers in this vein than this one. I will say that it was bite free like advertised on the tin, but many blends with these components are.

Pipe Used: various

Purchased From: local B & M

An internet pipe buddy who knew I enjoyed some of the old House of Windsor blends sent me a couple of Sutliff match blends to try. This one is supposed to be "perfect for fans of Barking Dog". As I was extremely underwhelmed by a similar claim for a Dunhill 965 clone, I was cautious, but then again, Sutliff did nail the old Edgeworth. So off I went! As luck would have it, I still have some of the HoW Barking Dog for comparison. Both had the mishmosh chop cut and the sprinkling of black among the woodchip color.

As a match blend, this one is a failure. The topping is too heavy, the latakia too faint. Didn't taste much like Barking Dog, which is a very tasty blend. This one was pretty bland by comparison. As a standalone blend, this one was fine. No highs or lows, just a decent middle of the road American English. But there was no pizzaz. Perhaps that's the point. This one was ok but nothing I felt I needed to spend money on.

Quality-wise, the tobaccos, particularly the burley, in this one seemed to be higher up the ladder than Barking Dog. Then again, I'm more impressed with a blender that can create more from less. This one seemed like a creation of less from more. I'll take the Barking Dog any day.

This is more or less a replacement for Barking Dog. It's designed to be an English blend made the "American" way, which I take to mean it's not a Balkan blend where latakia dominates the flavor. The latakia is there to add a smoky base note to the main star, which is the earthy, nutty white burley. The burley is quality choice as is the lemon Virginia that adds an enjoyable tangy sweetness. The mild rum topping is assisted by a complimentary raisin/stewed fruit note or two as well. A colorful blend that's pretty to look at, burns perfectly to the very end, and is complex with a multiplicity of flavors that don't crowd each other out. Smoking it in a pipe with a wide bowl will enhance the experience, but any pipe will work for this mixture.

Presentation in the tin is cubed burley, fish flakes of light colored Virginia and ribbons of latakia. The tin smells of latakia and something slightly sweet. There is no smell of rum or chemicals others have noted. Moisture level is excellent - maybe a little drier than some might like. It is just right for me. Due to the cubed burley, I gravity fed to fill and tamped lightly.

I found the blend easy to light and a smooth, tasty smoke. The lemon Virginia was more prominent in the first half of the bowl. The burley came into its own with some depth after that. Throughout the bowl I found the latakia to be present,tasty and there without being dominant.

I found this to be an enjoyable medium strength blend that is not especially complex. It only hits a few notes but it hits them pretty well. This one is easy to recommend.

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (72)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Man's Best Friend

Being Described as Another American Classic in the English vein, smooth toasted Burley cubes blended with premium grade Latakia and Lemon Virginia Flake. Cased with a uniquely mild rum top dressing to produce a subtle pleasing flavor and room aroma

Tin Notes: The tobacco appears to be in good form with good moisture content, it has a pleasing and slightly sweet smelling aroma

The Burn: This tobacco blend smoked good in any pipe that i have tried it in and burned well from start to finish. While there is not very much of the rum casing to this blend (which is good) I found that the taste of the air cured tobaccos added a taste of an immature/ or hayish flavor. Even though they use a premium grade latakia i think that this portion/or amount of latakia they used or even the type of latakia itself is somewhat weak and lifeless.

While this tobacco blend does contain the makings for a good smoke i personally think that this is a blend your going to need to age and i am in hopes that it will improve over time.............

My 5 star Rating = 3

This is one blend that i have smoked previously and at that time i did enjoy it . I am not sure if my taste buds are changing or for the fact that i have experienced better tobaccos since then but at this time i am not enjoying it very much

and too what i have tried in the past may have had more age on it......

Pipe Used: pipestone, corn and briar

Purchased From: sutliff, pipesandcigars,

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)

The cube cut burley and lemon Virginia flake are complimented by the light rum casing, while the latakia is added with restraint, but there in every puff. A well-balanced blend that burns cool and dry to the bottom of the bowl. A good American-English aromatic that satisfies.

Update: I mix MBF with Sutliff Academy 5-1 and find that it smoothes out this blend.

ColonelStJames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColonelStJames (14)
Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Well, that was disappointing! I stopped by my B&M tonight and picked up a tin of MBF. Sutliffe makes one of my favorite aromatics in Molto Dolce, and I was really looking forward to trying another one of their blends. The smell in the tin was nice and I got a little of the rum in the nose. It disappeared in the smoke. It didn't bite, and that was good because I had to puff the daylights out of this to keep it lit. I gotta say, I understand MBF's place in the tobacco world, though. If you, like me, mostly smoke aromatics,but wish to make the move into more of an English blend, the maybe you'll like this. I didn't.

ROTHNH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROTHNH (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A few weeks ago, I Emailed Altadis to let them know I'd made two requests, 4-6 months apart, yet I'd never received a free promotion "non-aromatic" tin of Sutliff pipe tobacco. I received a reply the very next day, saying Altadis had had problems with the Pipe Auction promotions and they were going to do them on their own Sutliff website from now on. With an apology, I was also informed I would receive "complimentary samples" via UPS in a few days.

My box from Altadis arrived yesterday -- four 1.5 oz. tins of assorted non-aro Sutliff blends. Of course, I had to open one! I am a Sutliff virgin LOL. I chose the Man's Best Friend (MBF).

MBF is supposed to be Altadis' match for Barking Dog, a House of Windsor blend, which, like HoW itself, is long gone -- so long gone, in fact, that I really don't remember Barking Dog much at all, thus I can't compare the two.

Popping the tin of MBF, there's a potpourri of colors -- black, yellow, a few shades of brown -- and a potpourri of scents as well -- latakia, burley, rum, spices. The tin note is so pungent, I first thought this MBF was actually an aromatic, and while quite pretty in appearance, this MBF was mistakenly included in the non-aromatic samples I had specifically requested.

The MBF blend is course cut and this tin is just slightly moist, so I let a bowlful dry about 10-15 minutes. It packed easily in my Group 4 Pipa Croci dublin using my preferred drop-feed method, and the charring light/true light was non-problematic.

The rum is there, upfront in the first few puffs, but it mellows out, though never totally disappears, as the latakia's smokiness comes in play. This is an "American English" blend, similar to Walnut, but with more complexity. While certainly a mild blend, MBF delivers a very tasty smoking experience. The nuttiness of the white burely is there, and also helps cool the smoke. The bright virginias -- definitely playing a condiment role here -- adding some lemony goodness.

With all the stuff going on here, MBF, IMO, verges on being a crossover blend, but I say that because of the rum, which, as noted, is prevalent in this blend. Otherwise, it's a mild English. It smokes cool, stays lit with few if any relights, smooth, zero bite, and the very pleasant flavors hang in there throughout the smoke, burning completely to a light gray ash with no dottle.

I like this MBF a lot. I'm on my third bowl of this stuff since I popped this tin yesterday afternoon. I'm thinking this would be a very good choice for someone looking to expand their horizons from aromatic blends who wants to try a mild, flavorful American English. An added plus is price: The 1.5 ounce tins cost just over $6 and the 8 ounce cans of MBF are about $16 on line.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Many rum-topped blends are (for me) too sweet, burn too hot, are bland under the topping, or any combination. The rum is lightly applied here, and the Latakia balances it off nicely, nor does it burn too hot for me. The underlying tobaccos are also pleasant to puff through.

Clive Moses Apikouris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clive Moses Apikouris (30)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Bow-Wow! I'm wagging my tail over this treat. I'm again surprised by such a fine tobacco coming from the Sutcliff line of Altadis. I was a bit apprehensive about this blend upon ordering it. I have previously tried their Revelation knock-off, and while I enjoyed it as as representative of a nice "drugstore blend" of the past, I rarely smoke it as it tastes too "drugstore" and I have so many blends available that are tastier. I never had the opportunity to smoke "Barking Dog", but the name alone may have made it seem an unattractive choice to make when selecting a tobacco for purchase. Because of having no experience with the blend "Barking Dog". I can't offer an opinion on if the copying effort of Altadis was successful. However I can tell you that in my opinion this tobacco is simply a pleasure to smoke. Pop the tin and you will be greeted by a salad composed of a variety of shades of tobacco ranging from gold to black. The cut is kind of chopped, so salad is a apt description. The aroma is a sweet smokey, raisin like scent shared in common with many blends featuring similar ingredients. The moisture is on the slightly sticky side, which actually I prefer. It helps with packing and lighting a pipe in the Frank method. It does light up easily and will burn through your smoke very nicely. Now the flavor, marvelous. The tin aroma is matched by the smoking flavor. slightly sweet, nice smokey but not overpowering Latakia, a tasty Burley cereal flavor adds a nice touch and the you get a bit of Virginia tongue tingle. I don't register any noticeable rum flavor but perhaps the noted rum topping contributes to the overall mild sweetness. In some regards Man's Best Friend is reminiscent of a less rich milder Benjamin Hartwell Chesdin Mixture also made by Altadis. This a very tasty American Latakia mixture that could be for some a regular or all day tobacco. Most highly recommended.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)

In the tin, this is sweet and smokey and with the fresh earthy notes from white burley. Wide cut bright VAs and light burleys along with chunks of burley cube and a solid helping of dark latakia make this mixture as beautiful in color as it is in cut.

This is simple, satisfying and extremely tasty. The burley sets the rhythm and with the variations of VA and latakia providing very bright highs and very dark lows, respectively. Neither grating nor tedious, the sweetness ties it all together and makes this just perfect for constant puffing. The effect of the rum is subliminal rather than showy.

Another relaxed and classy entry from Sutliff, Man's Best Friend is a true replacement for Barking Dog. If you like American Englishes, run, don't walk, and get some of this right now.

Chamber Gauge: Medium

Joeluka333 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeluka333 (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Maybe there is too much going on the allow anyone flavor or weed dominate. After reading about all the trouble keeping it lit, I decided to let at least four bowls air dry for a day. Smoked all four bowls in one day and the biggest problem was keeping it lit. Otherwise it was a mellow all day plain smoke that bit only when puffed too hard. ( Which with the trouble keeping it lit, seemed to bite quite a bit) If you're looking for a cross between a cased ARO and a minor English/Balken then give it a try.

Nothing special but nothing wrong with finishing the tin either.

bteddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bteddy (20)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I don't understand some of the negative reviews, while this is not a full English blend, it is not meant to be. Latakia jumps up front upon opening the tin, with a pleasing touch of burley and sweet Virginia to round the senses. I did not detect an overpowering flavoring of Rum, but is sneaks it's way in later during the bowl with a delightful smoothing, just enough to keep you wondering, or was it a different flavor? anise? almonds? Whatever it is it works for me. No trouble lighting or keeping lit. No bite at all. This would be a good start for someone to ease into English blends. Can be smoked all day. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Update: finished the tin and ordered the 8 ounce

Quad09 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quad09 (2)

Smoking pipe for a little less than a year, I'd have to give a hardy thumbs up to this one. As a newbie breaking out of the aromatics, this "english style" (and I use that term loosely)is a very nice start for the beginner. The tin aroma reminds a little of Frog Morton to a milder degree. The cut is easy to pack, however, keeping it lit is a trail. I really try drying it out (hour plus) but it is still difficult to keep lit. The room note is quite pleasant; even my wife likes it. The latakia is present but not over powering. It's a smooth blend, tastes good and (like Inspector Cluseau's dog) it does not bite.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

Not my bag, too little punch, the burley can't shine because of the casing and the Latakia is too weak to come to the front for long. I was hoping for a nutty burley with some Latakia smokiness, but this puppy didn't bark for me.

Pfeifegeliebter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pfeifegeliebter (9)

I like this blend. My only complaint is that it can be difficult to light and keep lit. I love the room note on this blend the burley and latakia really come out. I try to smoke this in my pipes with smaller bowls due to the burn time. This to me is a great after dinner with a glass of single malt blend.

zwolanek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zwolanek (18)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

As with all reviews, please read several. For me, Mans Best Friend is a disaster.

I've smoked about 3/4 of a can I got at the Chicago Pipe Show. The cut consists of huge soggy chunks. I expected a dog chasing a covered wagon through my kitchen any minute.

My first two bowls would barely light and left more than 50% doddle. I dried it for a day. Same thing. Two days. Same. Three MORE days in a sunny window. Only then would it light and burn. But it still left about 25% doddle. So I rubbed it to the consistency of large grind coffee, but even after that I faced continuing burning issues.

The flavor was the same soggy or dry. It gave me the impression that the blender really didn't have anything in mind, or changed his mind, or lost his mind. It's all there - aromatic, latakia, burley, rum - kind of "something for everyone." But that is code for "nothing special here."

Most tobacconists offer "floor sweepin's" at a discount, and other than the chunky cut of this, that's what this is. But as one reviewer noted, it all mixes together to a single flavor, which he appreciated but I do not.

The room note was disappointing. I cannot tell room smell when I smoke, but note it upon entering the room the following morning. This dog needed a bath.

As a former Minnesotan, I have to say something nice, so here are five nice things about Man's Best Friend: - It contained high grade ingredients. - The rum topping was not overpowering. - It didn't bite. - It was free. - The Irish Setter on the can looks like a great dog.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)

This is Altadis/Sutliff Barking Dog Match . I cant say wether it's a great match or not , being the last time I smoked Barking Dog , was probably more than a decade or more ago . It is a very good blend and I have to say I was very suprised . I've thought of Altadis as an Aro blender only . I've read reviews of Fox and Hound being just so so . I figured not to get excited about their non aros and " English " style blends . Big mistake . This blend has little chunks of burley , lat and Va . It has a slight top note of rum but I wasnt sure it was there till I smoked it a little . The cut is chunks , cut strands and thin flakes [ not pressed flake ] . As any blend with burley chunks , it takes a little doin . Once well lit , the Latakia is there up front with the burley and Va behind it .The rum is kinda there in a ghostish way . This dosent last long ... after a quarter of a bowl it all melds into one flavor . All the componets are there in unison ... I really like when a blend does that . It's a cool easy smoke that builds at the end some . It never got hot or funky and the bottom of the chamber was dry . It is a medium blend in nicotine and flavor . When the blend reached the " sweet spot " , about quarter way down , my eyebrows popped up and I said .. wow ! It did this each bowl . Many times blends will have flavors side by side as the bowl goes down , which is fine ... this stuff " blended " just right and I really enjoy it . I'm picky about blends with Latakia . Theres a bazillion out there and not often does one jump out at me over my favorites . I'd dare say that SG SL smokers might enjoy this blend being it's a medium blend like SL though different .I will be smoking this stuff during winter ... and enjoying it !

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I know this blend was created to imitate the flavors of the old Barking Dog blend. Frankly, this one is better due to the strength (which I appreciated). It has been years since I smoked Barking Dog but I sure don't remember that blend being as sweet as this one and the rum flavoring is easily detected. The content's cut also makes for an easy pack/smoke. Hey folks, I believe this one is a blue ribbon doggie!

rhogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhogg (10)
Medium Medium Medium Very Strong

Found this at a local B&M and bought it completely on a whim without having ever previously heard about it. The tin description is more than a little ambiguous. Basically there is no information on the tin even cluing you in to what is inside. It says "MAN's BEST FRIEND - NEVER BITES" underneath a picture of a dog.

Upon opening the tin you can detect the Rum casing, but the aroma is not overpowering, and definitely is not the driving force that you would expect from many aromatics. The burley cubes give this blend a unique look

Other reviewers have warned about the contents being moist, but being a new tin of something I have never tried I went for glory, stuffed the bowl, preceded to the charring light. Lighting was a bit difficult likely due to the moisture content. 5 matches were needed to get a decent start on the bowl. I am smoking this blend in a brand new block Meerschuam GBD Churchwarden style pipe. I am guessing in a briar it would be gurgling to high heaven as I am puffing vigorously to keep the bowl lit moderate success. Strangely I am not being bitten or paid back for my irresponsibility.

The initial taste was good. The burley and latakia were coming through strong with the "lemon Virginia flake" taking a back seat. Definitely something that I will go back to as I enjoy good burley and find it rather tasty. Definitely a little switcharoo from your typical English, and does not remind me much of and aromatic.

Other folks are claiming the Vitamin N to be rather strong; however; more that half way through the bowl I am not noticing anything that would prevent me from finishing the bowl purely n that basis.

Overall I am going to recommend this blend first because it is unique, and second because it tastes good. If you do not like burley you may want to steer clear of this nasal passage clearing blend.

=== The more I smoke of this tin the worse it gets. The room note is like rotten garbage, and it seems to taste nastier every time I smoke it. I have been trying to let it dry a little because it is so difficult to keep lit. I'm not giving up completely, but I may have to downgrade it again if it does not get better as it dries.===

PIE-EYED-PIPER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PIE-EYED-PIPER (20)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I got a free tin from one of the pipe shows I attended. I'm not an advocate of aromatic tobacco, nor will one ever be a part of my regular rotation. However, since this is a free sample, I thought I might as well give it a try.

Upon opening the tin, one can definitely smell the aroma of rum mingling with the English tobacco. I find that the casing is not as strong, or as overly powering as some blends I've tried. Latakia is definitely present in this blend.

The tobacco was a little moist. However, leaving the tin open and constantly rotating the tobacco around [top to bottom] for a few hours helped remedy the situation. Packing the tobacco was never an issue.

After the initial lighting, one's senses can definitely detect the rum. Others claim to continue savoring the rum casing from beginning to end. It is this humble reviewer's experience that as you go down the bowl, the flavoring dissipates and what is left is just good tasting English. Could there be a little inconsistency in the manufacturing process perhaps? The tobacco burned really well with only a few re-lights.

If your cup of tea is NOT an aromatic tobacco (or to be constantly bombarded with flavoring), then this may not be for you. However, if what I described is something to your liking, then maybe this is something you'd like to experience.

I haven't tried "Barking Dog" to make an educated comparison. Personally, I really don't care whether this blend barks like a dog, or purrs like a kitten. To me, this is just good English tobacco worth trying.

Based solely on the sample tin that I got, I will RECOMMEND this.

marksman8351 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marksman8351 (21)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

I dont know if i would buy this brand again purely based on my experience on this one. I found it hard to light and keep lit, the room note definitely received quite a few yells from outside of my den. The taste was a little to harsh for the average smoker. The second time i smoked it i found i had a little less problems with lighting. A friend of mine swears by it however maybe ill ask him to bring his tin over maybe something was wrong with my batch.

ccwman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ccwman (6)

I'll start by saying this one is not one that I would buy again. Too much burley to suit me with almost an acidic flavor that overpowered everything else going on in the bowl.

Packing was problemmatic and it refused to remain lit. I wanted more latakia but it was stomped on by the burley in this blend.

No bite for this dog, but it sure had a bark! Not my breed.

Cavicchi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cavicchi (5)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Received this as a sample at my pipe club meeting 09.17.10. Smoky Latakia flavor, which dominated the entire smoke in my opinion. Not terrible, but not my favorite, either. Seemed to be a bit hard to keep lit for me. Will probably finish the tin off, but won't be tempted to try another.

highlander999 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
highlander999 (8)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable

Very nice, very typical English Blend, nice Latakia, and finish.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This blend is another tribute blend to Barking Dog... It does not match it as closely as barking dog, but is good on its own merits. This blend is cased a bit too heavily with rum for my liking, but does provide a pleasurable smoke.

fuerte91 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fuerte91 (3)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

For starters, the tine came extremely dry, but I just threw in a humidifier to help it. Afterwards though, it was a dream to smoke. Burned really well, stays lit fairly well. It was strong for me though, definitely couldn't smoke an entire bowl on my own. Taste was sweet, with a smokey kick to it. I thoroughly enjoyed it.