This remarkable blend is the cure-all for smoking nostalgia. Burley, Virginia, Latakia, Flake and Perique combine to provide that Old Time flavor. Perfect for fans of Country Doctor.

Notes: This blend is manufactured by Sutliff and sold under their "Sutliff Private Stock" brand.

Blended ByCarl McCallister

Visit company website

Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste

I had about 2 oz of HOW Country Doctor I have been smoking, so I can do a back-to-back comparison with this blend.

The Country Doctor is a combination of cubed burley and medium small "fish" flakes of various colors from yellow to almost black. CD is made up of fairly large torn shreds of tobacco - mostly tan and light brown. Appearance is not even close.

I found the perique and latakia in the Country Doctor to be very mild but more forward than in CD. CD has more burley in the flavor profile. Flavor is vaguely similar - they got the "mild fruit - maybe berry" topping right, but the tobacco base is not the same.

As a match, this is a 2. I prefer HOW Country Doctor.

As a blend on its own, this is a 3. It is a pleasant lightly topped burley forward blend. It was a good smoke but not complex with subtle notes. The cut is unusual and burns well. I have no regrets about having a tin of this to smoke, but it is not a "must try."

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (66)

Sutliff Private Stock CD Blend

Burley, Virginian, Latakia, Flake and Perique

Tin Notes: Kind of a chunky cut tobacco with good color and leaf selection The tobacco is a little moist but not to bad. The aroma is somewhat sweet and sour at the same time ~ but good !

Smoking: This is another blend that i have tried in the past and i do like it but it is one of those tobacco blends for me = sometimes i like it and sometimes i don't.

While this blend has an all around good tobacco flavor (without those fancy toppings i might add )

the quantity and or strength of latakia and perique is small and on the mild side. The Latakia is not real smokey and the perique is not very spicy.

This is a good blend for times you just want something to puff on and it is a good price !!!

My 5 star rating is 3

Pipe Used: pipestone, corn, briar, meerschaum, olive wood

Purchased From: pipesandcigars,

The latakia and perique are mere condiments here, but they add a nice bass note. Burley is the main star, with the Virginia playing back up. There are very slight fig and prune notes with a hint of a topping I cannot identify. At times, I get a slightly sour tangy taste mixing in with the sweet, and there's a nice earthy Burley taste that gives this some complexity. Because it's a rough coarse cut mixture, I recommend a round bowl rather than a pipe with a narrow chamber so it will burn to the last bit. It burns evenly and coolly, and holds up its flavor to the very end with no dottle. A good regular smoke, and superior to House of Windsor's Country Doctor blend. The major difference is that this is a little sweeter and fuller in taste.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I find myself much more impressed with my sample tin of Sutliff's CD mixture than I thought I would be. It's been laying around here for a couple of years now and I figured it was time.

I'm a big fan of the so-called “American English” genre and tobaccos such as Middleton's Walnut, C&D's Epiphany, Iwan Ries's Dr. Bradley, and Hoffman's Spilman Mixture. What sealed this fandom was the opportunity to sample some of the original old classics like Blue Boar and the Philip Morris version of Revelation. These are all Burley-heavy tobaccos with lightly added condimental tobaccos including Perique and Latakia. And most of them have their flavors bound together and lifted by the application of a light, fruity topping. They aren't everyday smokes for me, but I confess to going on American-English benders that can last a couple weeks or more.

CD Blend fits comfortably into this genre. It seems to be very much dominated by a malty Burley and this is supported by very small quantities of Latakia and Perique. By mid bowl, I find it very easy to forget that there is condimental leaf in here at all. And it takes some pretty serious looking to find any of these darker condimental tobaccos in the tin, where the tobacco is almost uniformly light brown. I'm not really sure what this has been topped with. There is something simultaneously molasses-ish and prune-like going on, so maybe it's not too far off to suggest that it's topped with an old man's breakfast as recommended by an early 20th century Country Doctor. Molasses and prune. CD blend certainly keeps me regular.

The cut on this tobacco is rough—almost ridiculously rough. I've given up trying to load it straight from the tin and instead, I now dump some on my desk and tear it down into more manageable pieces. It burns nicely, like most Burleys and provides mostly a sweet and malty flavor with hints of prune. The strength is moderate. It's not nearly as exciting as some other tobaccos in the genre, but it does have a kind of workmanlike quality to it. It's pretty easy to smoke but I think that it could get boring as the primary tobacco in a small rotation.

Still, and even though it's ultimately a little boring, I'd recommend CD Blend to fans of Walnut or Epiphany. It's a pretty decent change of pace.

KCWGG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KCWGG (7)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have never tried House of Windsor's Country Doctor, so this review is alley on this tobacco's merits, not how true it is as a match. The tin note is that of alcohol. Perhaps whiskey or bourbon, with a very faint Latakia note. Although the leaf is a rough cut, it is supple and loads well. Moist, but just right for my taste. The burley is forward in this blend, and is certainly the bulk of this blend. VA gives it a fruity lightness. Perique is hardly present. Latakia is there in just the right amount, and gives a subtle, smokey sweetness. The alcohol topping isn't really present in the smoke, but I don't see this as a detraction. This is a round smoke that is flavorful and mild. Should be smoked slowly, as it can bite. So far, this is my absolute favorite Sutliff blend. Well balanced and something I will be sure to keep on hand.

I received this tobacco from a man from whom I had bought a restored estate pipe. When opening the tin my immediate impression was a sweet date smell. I recommend letting it air for a few minutes before filling your bowl. Takes patience to light, but once you get it started it is an amazing smoke. This was my first experience with perique and latakia, and this blend was my gateway to smoking almost exclusively English. While this is not an English proper it is also not an aromatic. Good way to convert though. Be sure to pack carefully, as this blend has potential to bite.

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

First up, if I ever smoked Country Doctor in years long ago, I certainly don't remember it. Whatever topping has been added is extremely mild, just a hint of dark fruit. I will also take the blender notes at their word that there are Virginia and Perique present. The Latakia is just noticable, however.

Overall, I found this to be a pleasant, easy-to-load rough cut; somewhat fast-burning but with no bite.

T. Ferguson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
T. Ferguson (9)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I'll preface this by saying that I absolutely love this company's blends! Tasty, inexpensive, and an overall good value. I am, as we speak, smoking my second bowl of this today. Nearly through a tin purchased Saturday. That's saying a lot. I'm a chronic cigarette smoker and believe that this may be my cure!!! FINALLY! There have been moments at which his blend has actually made me a lil woozy and feeling like I need a sandwich. That said, enjoy this one after a good supper. The latakia is sometimes noticeable, sometimes not. About 1/2 through the bowl is when the perique takes over. The final 1/8th? Runny nose and watering eyes doing the old 'french inhale'. LOVE IT! Can't say enough good things about this one... Just an FYI, this is indeed available in bulk. Just ask your tobacconist or order online. I plan to do so. Get some and enjoy!!!

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

CD blend is a stellar attempt at Country Doctor ! It smokes cool , tastes great and the room note is fantastic ! If your wanting to try a blend from the "Golden Age" .... this is it . It's complex , and if you know what yer doing , smokes slow all the way down . One of the best blends I've tried this past year

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (61)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

The tobacco was a bit too moist out of the 'tin' (cardboard), but letting it air for a bit seemed to resolve any wetness issue. I am not very fond of the tin aroma, which may have biased my rating. The taste of this blend starts off fairly well, then deteriorates into a mishmosh of flavors; sometimes harsh, other times rather pleasant. Perhaps the casing/topping is at fault. This is not a blend that I would purchase again.

Nathan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nathan (8)

Here is an actual review of CD Blend. This blend is supposed to be a match for Country Doctor. Which I've not tried. Upon opening the tin I was greeted by a slightly fig/ smoky aroma. I was very hesitant to try this because something about the aroma reminded me of the Fox and Hound blend by Altadis which I absolutely despise(They don't smell similar at all side by side necessarily, but there was a certain commonality in the smokiness. Like the difference between a wet campfire and sweet beef teriyaki. Both smell smoky but both are worlds apart.). So the adventurer inside me wouldn't let me give up so easily, and I'm glad I didn't. I was very surprised at how good the tobacco actually looked and felt. Not too moist and not too dry. Just about perfect for my taste. It packed nicely in my cob and off we went. Pre-light, tamp, secondary light. Hmmm?! My fears of tasting another F&H are gone. There's a slightly sweet but rich tobacco taste. The aroma is that of good tobacco and a little fig maybe. After the first third the slightly sweet but rich tobacco taste is still here. The aroma too. The last third maintained the slightly sweet but rich tobacco taste to the end, but getting a little stronger on the tobacco taste. The aroma stayed constant throughout the entire bowl. This blend however, was mild in nicotine throughout. A nice gray ash was left that came out with little to no effort. Needless to say, when I had finished I was relaxed and pleased. This would make a great fall smoke to me. It's also shows potential to only improve with aging. This has a spot in my rotation now, and we'll see what some aging can do. I'm sure there are other blends and opinions that will differ from this one. But I hope this encourages some of us to at least give it a try. Happy smoking!

piedpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpiper (26)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Don't know if this review should be on CD or another of Sutliff's "Private Stock" offerings-specifically their Maple St. Ordered this because the price was right, the description matched what I'm looking for in a tobacco, and the one review on this site was favorable. Imagine my dismay when upon opening the tin I was greeted by the aroma of an aromatic heavily cases with Maple!! To further aggravate matters, I ordered 8 oz. of the stuff. I suffered through the tin, as aromatics aren't my bag & even mixed some with IRC's Proper English in an attempt to make lemonade out of lemons. It was actually not terrible for an aromatic, earning 2 stars in my book. I would very much like to read if anyone else has a similar experience with any of Sutliff's Private Stock line. Either they put the wrong tobacco in this tin, or worse, they don't know a rum & maple aromatic from an English with Latakia & Perique!!!

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (135)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a complete rewrite of my original review. I have never spent as much time analyzing a blend as with this one. The first couple of bowls were delicious and then it seemed to taste flat. This is a very chunky concoction, which prevents all the ingredients from blending together. The rum flavoring was not evenly distributed and there were occasional blasts of perique, which was very unpleasant. I finally decided to rub out the mix,to a ribbon cut, and let it dry for about an hour. This has solved the problem and resulted in a very pleasant blend worthy of 3 stars. I really enjoy puffing on this.

Update: I've decided that the work/reward ratio is not worth it. I'm downgrading this blend to two stars.