This pleasing blend of Burley and Virginia is as comforting as a good time spent with your best friend. Perfect for fans of Briggs.

Notes: This blend is manufactured by Sutliff and sold under their "Sutliff Private Stock" brand.

Blended ByCarl McCallister

Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
2.3

Having recently smoked Briggs, I can say they have quite a bit in common, but I prefer this blend because the toasty burley is just slightly more earthier and sweeter. The Virginias are naturally sweet, and creates a solid base for the burleys to play off of. I do taste a bare hay note, too. The vanilla note is mild with a slight plum note, and I've wondered exactly what the fruity topping is. It's an all day cool smoking mild to medium blend that burns well with a consistent taste. I can see adding this to my smoking rotation.

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (40)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

My first reaction to the tin of this blend that I opened was - What? What was Sutliff thinking when they prepared this batch of BRG Mixture? My tin was not just moist, not just damp but sopping wet! Then there was the aroma - a foul odor of one half licorice and one half vanilla and very, very dense and overly strong. The odor of my tin was so strong that it was repelling in nature. My thought was that somewhere down there in the tin was a tobacco but I had no idea what it's nature was. There simply was no way you could detect the tobacco - none, zip, nada! I didn't want to wait for God knows how long it would take to air this mess out to smoke, so I put a bowl full on a piece of paper and gave it some time in the microwave. After a short while I had something that was drier and had lost about eighty percent of it's obnoxious topping. I lit up and discovered there was a nice and descent tobacco blend underneath all of the mess that Sutliff had given to me. I let the tin sit open all night - not good enough - a second night - not good enough. It took an incredible THREE nights and days of airing out to get this tin to a moisture and topping level that was tolerable! Now, once you get this tobacco to a dried out state it isn't bad. I actually enjoyed smoking this blend and have been using it successfully in microblending. The aroma and other smoking qualities of this blend are warm and friendly and remind me of the fifties and early sixties. The burley is toasty and the Virginia gives it a toned-down nature and, heck, I don't even mind the remainder of the topping. On this basis I would be willing to give the actual tobacco in the tin three stars, but the presentation stinks (literally and figuratively) and merits no more than one star. So, I am going to compromise and give it a two star rating.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie prince of Wales

Age When Smoked: recent

Purchased From: pipes and tobaccos.com

Similar Blends: some old OTC blends from the past.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This tobacco gets mixed reviews here on TR, and so I was not sure what to expect. I found a very pleasant mild VaBur on the Bur end of the spectrum. By very pleasant, my rating is really a 3+. It does not quite rise to a 4, but really is quite good for me. Imagine Carter Hall with no topping and without the bitter edge - that is pretty much the experience. The smoke is mild and my daughter told me it has a pleasant room note - "just a plain tobacco smell but a little sweet."

I smoked nine bowls of this in codger mode today - two pipes I rotated while on a long drive. It worked very well smoked like this, and I did not do anything but pack the bowl with one hand. The third bowl in the same pipe was better than the first, so maybe it benefits from a dedicated pipe. I am not claiming the blend is Stonehaven, but I also did not have to dry it or rub it out. The price point is an appealing one. It is in stock.

I think I smelled a little alcohol in the tin note and I asked my daughter what she thought. She said maybe it was dried fruit. I did not taste any topping.

CEHansen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CEHansen (3)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

It's not that this is a bad tobacco or anything. It's just that there are so many out there like it that are better. I'd buy some if I were in a pinch but that's about it.

happy jack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
happy jack (25)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

All I can say is, I had worse VA and Burley blends, rather boring, s nice, moister is perfect from the tin. This could be just my tast, but it is what it is, nothing to write home about, no room note to take you away. Nic is light, no bit, i would not purchase this blend again, perhaps it may have ageing potential, but why bother, not bad, but with the tin I have I will probly finish with a blend. 2 stars Well,...skip that last line, I had to give this one to the to the wast can, had to dump it, O'well, as I have stated before there is no bias with us pipe smokers,Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke. No like here, not even an attempt to blend,...Im sure it will find a home to a "Gent of the pipe",.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Based on a gifted 5 bowl sample. Basic browns in a mostly ribbon cut, at least in the baggie I was gifted. Bag aroma was of an earthy burley - it smelled nice! As I was completely put off by the embarrassingly bad original HoW blend, I wasn't too anxious to smoke this but I eventually put on my brave face. First, I smoked a half-bowl of the original which I thought I had tossed out (I guess I hate to waste even the worst blends!) and it was as awful as I remembered.

This one and the other Sutliff matches of HoW blends I've smoked make me wonder if Sutliff ever actually smoked these blends or if they just found a recipe rolodex. This one, along with their "matches" of Revelation, Barking Dog and others was not very close to the original. Usually that's a bad thing. In this case, it was an improvement. That horrible vegetal/burnt rubber taste that Briggs has going on was completely absent here. This one tasted like a standard burley with a Virginia trailer. Not great, but not bad at all, and a decidedly better example of a codger blend. If match blends are designed to be as close to identical as possible, Sutliff needs to go back to the drawing board. Actually smoking the blends they're trying to clone would certainly help. Like their other HoW matches, fans of the original Briggs will likely not be pleased with this one. If, however, matches are merely to conjure up the memory of the original in a respectful and "sorta close" way, Sutliff did Briggs a huge favor here. Try it if this sort of thing appeals to you, but don't expect Briggs - just accept it for what it is.

Pipe Used: meerschaum

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (72)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin Notes: Slightly Sweet aroma with a little more than a twinge of what others may call "Grassy Hay" Nice cuts of leaf without any roughage Good Moisture content right out of the can

Smoking: with being a simple type of blend an old fashioned ( and there is nothing wrong with that ) the leaves smoked good in any pipe and i don't believe that there are any artificial flavorings but needless to say i guess i could just not appreciate this blend because the grassy hay flavors carried over in the pipe and it was just not to my liking

Room Note was fair but not to be considered good for others

Overall My 5 Star Rating = 2

my suggestion for this blend would be try using a flue cured virginian leaf instead of air cured and maybe a little more sweetness of the burley

Pipe Used: Rock Cob, Corn Cob, Clay and Briar

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (24)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A cross between SAIL YELLOW and VELVET. A smoker's delight for the non-aromatic patrons out there. I keep reading how "there's nothing special" in this blend in some of these reviews, but I think that IS what makes BRG special. It's good home cookin'. Slightly fruity with a slighlty peppery undertone-reminds one of mince meat pie. Very pleasant room note-warm and inviting. Best way to describe it, it's that same old-fashioned pipe smell you get when you walk into your dad or grandpa's study. Leaves a nice aftertaste that makes one smile from ear to ear. Just remember with any good non-aromatic that it is meant for sipping. Like the tin's slogan says "when you need a friend"...

pipeofbriaropenfire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeofbriaropenfire (9)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Very mild, earthy taste. I found it worth exploring but may not purchase again.

fowlerken Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fowlerken (1)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

By far the best I have tried love the mild smoke I get from it and the taste is excellent.Everyone should give it a try!

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Lovely tin and room aromas, mild in taste. Unlike others, I don't get any vanilla, it seems more in the plum catagory for me. The first third of the bowl seems actually rather unflavored, but the flavor picks up after that. I'd give it a better recommendation for those seeking a mild smoke with a pleasant room note, but it is a rather 'bitey' blend for me, esp. in wider bowls.

PIE-EYED-PIPER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PIE-EYED-PIPER (20)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

All I can say about this blend is... DECAYING HAY MEETS VANILLA. This is by far the worst tasting tobacco I've had. This even beats the drugstore cherry flavored tobacco I smoked the first time I picked up the pipe. I don't like wasting anything. However, I had to discard the entire can as it tasted like embalming fluid (not that I've had the pleasure). This is how much I abhor this lousy excuse for a tobacco.

Is there a rating lower than One (1) star? How about "0" star () or a negative star (-)? I think "0" star () or negative star (-) is the proper rating for this tobacco.

WORD TO THE WISE: If a loved one (wife, husband, girlfriend, boyfriend, "friend", or any family member) gives you a tin of this, RUN FOR THE HILLS! It means they want you to die a pain-twisting, agonizing and horrific death.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)

I included a small tin of this blend in a recent order from Pipes and Cigars. It's a simple all day burley/virginia with a little vanilla added. Nothing special, but still very good. Needs a little drying out of the tin. Better than bulk without the humectants. Burns well. Will buy again. Forget Briggs. A new blend; new friend.

Update: I was too generous with my original rating. This is a 2 star blend.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I miss two of the former HOW blends. Revelation and Briggs. Once I started enjoying Briggs it was a daily smoke and there at the end I was buying the 2 ounce cans they were selling off. This stuff ain't it. If you are hoping for a replacement, keep hoping. The cut was different. The taste was different. I'm not clear how they even came up with the idea that it had anything to do with the former Briggs.

That said, taken on it's own merits it's not bad. Mine is more of a ribbon cut. Nice moisture level. On popping the lid theres something.....vanilla?.....certainly not overpowering. It lights easily and does stay lit. Hard to describe the flavor. OK, maybe a tiny bit like Briggs but not really hitting the mark. It's "OK". Not offensive. If you like a very lightly flavored, inoffensive burley smoke, try it.

gazpacho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gazpacho (18)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I love Virginias and I love Burleys, but this VA/Burley blend didn't strike my fancy.

The tin aroma has a very faint bit of vanilla to it, but what I primarily smell was the burley. Tin moisture was spot on. It packed well and lit easily, but tended to burn hot. In fact, for the 3 bowls I have smoked thus far, I've had to let the bowl go out and cool down before I could continue. It takes a very slight draw indead to smoke this tobacco. The topping/flavoring if there is any, was not noticable in smoking.

This tobacco combination didn't impress me, but that may simply be my pallette. It is a good quality tobacco that will probably find a dedicated group of pipe smokers.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

In the tin, the aroma of this mixture of long-cut, fine ribbon along with a niggling portion of plug-cut is of mildly sweet and grassy tobaccos along with a very light wafting of pastry topping (think: BLWB) along with the typically fresh scent of quality white burley.

The flavor tilts primarily towards the light and brown burleys along with a moderate portion of VAs; mostly red, seemingly, with a possible touch of bright. The leaf seems lightly sweetened while the aromatic topping plays a relatively minor role.

BRG Mixture is not a clone of Briggs. It is not even in the ballpark, and to sell it as such is a veritable travesty against one of my favorite blends from the venerable House of Windsor. Taken on its own merits, it is pleasantly mild and smooth, and I must say that I enjoyed it, but its marketplace hype left it laboring under the very shoes that it failed to fill. Try it, but don't expect Briggs. This seemed best in a narrow to medium gauge chamber.