A fantastic blend of complementary ingredients: Rum and Maple applied to golden Virginia and mellow White Burley. Perfect for fans of Mapleton or Rum & Maple.

Notes: This blend is manufactured by Sutliff and sold under their "Sutliff Private Stock" brand.

Blended ByCarl McCallister

Strength
Taste

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (25)

Sutliff Maple Street was offered as a replacement for the deceased House of Windsor Mapleton. Maple Street is better. Mapleton was a full aromatic with a predominately maple aroma and taste, with a subsidiary rum note. The same is true of Maple Street. Mapleton also had an unadvertised perique component, and Maple Street does not, at least so far as a can tell, and that is an improvement. The Maple Street room note is pleasing. The maple aroma and taste does call to mind pancakes with maple syrup. The rum, although not front and center, is clearly present.

To enjoy this tobacco you must be one who likes aromatic tobaccos, at least on occasion. (I prefer great variety in my smoking, and I choose an aromatic about one fourth of the time.) The full flavor and aroma of an aromatic comes at the cost of more goop in the pipe. Maple Street is not particularly bad in this respect, but the smoke will be wetter than for a non aromatic. The tobacco used is Virginia and burley, and the burley predominates. But the burley haters by and large do not smoke aromatics either.

A plus for Maple Street is that it comes cheaper than most tinned aromatics. I wavered between a two star and three star rating for Maple Street. I settled on the two star; but it is for me a very high two star.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

While it does taste a bit like pancakes due to the maple flavor, there are other blends that have a more intense flapjack taste. I prefer this to them. The tin note is rum and maple, and I taste a little rum while smoking it, but maple is definitely the predominant flavor. I get a slight pistachio note or two from the white burley, too. Burns darn near perfectly all the way to the bottom.

The room note is great and everybody around me who has smelled it notices the maple and not the rum. The more intense blends I mentioned earlier are too sweet for my personal tastes, but this is medium sweet and doesn't overwhelm, unless you are not used to aromatics. This is more of a three and half star blend for me, but I feel three stars short-changes it, so it gets a four star rating for blends in this genre.

The topping is a little heavy for me, but it is tasty and has a pleasant room note. This has been a good smoke, and I recommend it just in general. If you are an aromatic lover, you owe it to yourself to try this.

I taste the burley base and maple is the main flavor in the profile. There may be a hint of rum or caramel in there, but the sweet was not a honey. The Virginia may be contributing to this sweet, but it plays a supporting role and I am not identifying much Virginia here.

I may try thinning this with some blending burley or Virginia just to suit my palate.

TWolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TWolf (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I REALLY wanted to like this one. I really did. I've gone through about half a tin, in four different pipes (briar, cob, meer, Falcon), fresh out of the tin and giving it a chance to dry a bit. And it just didn't click for me. Opening the tin was a beautiful experience. The aroma was, well, delicious. I've smoked Sutliff's Molto Dulche (which I loved) so I was expecting Maple Street to be really wet. It was quite a bit drier in the tin than I expected. It packed well. Lit well. The fist bowl took a couple of relight over the course of the smoke but after that it burned quite well. I've heard so many people talk about how it tastes like pancakes and that the maple really comes through. Sorry but I just did not have that experience. This was one where if I took it extremely slowly and only took tiny sips then I was rewarded with a hint of maple. It didn't seem to take much to push this one too hard. Burley tobacco has a tendency to taste like cigarettes to me and it leaves me feeling (and smelling, and tasting) like I just smoked a cigarette. Sometimes I actually want that but not when I reach for an Aro. Maple Street seems a bit too burley forward for my tastes and I'm not seeing any of the Aro pleasantness I expect when smoking a blend like this.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

It's like smoking the IHOP ! I think it's a damn good Aromatic and would give it 4 stars if it had a bit more body . The room note is great and the taste is very nice . It smokes pretty dry and is very low in nicotine . As with most Sutliff Private Stock blends , it lights and keeps lit well

Pfeifegeliebter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pfeifegeliebter (9)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

After reading the other reviews on here I was expecting more from this blend. Althought the room note was quite nice and my wife commented that it was very pleasant and made her hungry , the overall flavor was dissapointing. I will do like this smoke and will continue to order it , I guess I just expected "more" maple.

Jallen49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jallen49 (22)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Alright...now I love aromatics, I just do. So, keep that in mind as you read...

This stuff is surprisingly great (especially when I recieved it for free). It tastes great: nice caramel/maple flavoring with a very faint taste of rum (which is hard to detect). No bite, and I ALWAYS get compliments about the pleasing smell. I have tried many of the aromatics that are supposed to be great, but this underdog can hang with the best of them. Smokes clean with no gunk left behind. All in all, a highly recommended smoke for newcomers and veterans alike. Worth trying, and its cheap so you can't lose!

Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is truly a superior maple aromatic. I understand why this has more of an appeal than other maple mixtures.This blend uses maple to bring out the natural sweetness of the base tobaccos.This blend yields wonderful Burley/Virginia flavor with the maple as a top note. Th maple remains with you for the entire smoke but does not dominate the flavor of the blend. Truth be told it was very good but not sweet enough for me. If comparing this to Town topic the analogy would be the following: Town topic is a very sweet Log Cabin. Maple Street is more like a raw natural maple sap. Very good blend.

tankbuster183 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tankbuster183 (4)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Like one of the other users mentioned, I want to like this more than I actually do. The tin note is wonderful; I immediately thought of rum cake. I am thinking my tin was on the shelf for a while as there was a lot stuck to the bottom, maybe from casing?

A common complaint with Sutliff seems to be too much casing, I thought threre was just enough on this. The cut is pretty fine and burns very well. I tend to get Burley bite, but that's my own fault because I smoke aromatics too fast, so I can't knock Sutliff for that. I give it a 2 out of 4; nothing to really hate but nothing to really write home about either.

Pipe Used: Nording Freehand

Age When Smoked: +1 year

Purchased From: Greentree Tobacco Sewell NJ

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (63)
Mild Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

Maple Street:

Golden Virginian and White Burley

Tin Note: Maple with a touch of Rum aromas Slightly Sticky but great appearance with good color and leaf selection

Smoked straight out tin - to me it was a little harsh and burned on the hot side. The Flavorings were consistent from start to finish. A very sweet tasting blend

When air dried the tobacco preformed better and was much smoother all while the flavors of Maple were still dominating.

Room Note: Is like walking into an International House of Pancakes - sums that up rather well

A Great Tobacco to smoke on the weekend after morning breakfast

my 5 star rating = 3 just to mapley

Pipe Used: pipestone rock cob, dr g omega

ArmedOctopus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArmedOctopus (18)

This is a wonderful tobacco that is perfect for fall or winter. Unlike a lot of aromatic blends, Maple Street does not taste artificial, but instead carries a very nice natural maple flavor. This is good quality tobacco.

TIN: The tin note is exceptional. The smell of the Burley and Virginia mingles very well with the maple topping. I'd even go so far as to say it may even have a touch of vanilla. Fantastic smell. Moist but not overly so.

SMOKING: This cut of this blend lends itself to a nice and easy charring light with little or no effort to keep it burning. The sweet flavor is balanced well by the nuttiness of the burley, with the sweetness coming from both the virginias and the maple flavoring. I did notice a touch of tongue bite, but I was in a hurry and so it may have just been user error. However, it wasnt anything that lingered to the next day. The maple notes come through beautifully and mingle extremely well with the nutty burley. Imagine pancakes with maple syrup and walnuts. If that thought makes your mouth water, this is for you. Oh, and it got no complaints from the wife, so that is a big plus.

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)

I have had a tin of this sitting around for a little while and just now opened it. The tin note is good. Not too wet and packs nice. Burns kind of fast but not too hot, doesn't get goopy either. The taste is pretty good. Overall, I like this blend and would buy another tin for sure to add to my cellar stash.

RamblinMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RamblinMan (4)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Great maple and rum scent from the tin. I was worried about this blend gurgling, it seemed a bit moist at first, no problems though. Tastes and smells like pancakes, a bit strong in the sweetness department for me. I might actually use this blend to add a bit of flavor to some of the Virginia blends that I find too heavy on the burley. Overall, worth a try if you are looking for a sweet way to start your day or just enjoy maple syrup!

jimmy_C Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jimmy_C (9)
Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

I got a tin of this in the mail. It was a free sample and I did not remember requesting a sample from the blender. So I am thinking it was a gift from a fellow pipe smoker. What a gift it was! I opened the tin and Wow! it smelled of maple not overpowering but really nice. I did not know how it would burn as when I opened the tin the tobacco was moist but not wet but wetter than most. Packed great, A faulse light and then a light and a couple tamps and the tobacco stays a light to the end of the bowl. the room note is of sweet maple and really nice to. My wife loved the room note and said I should buy more. sadly I enjoyed it so much the tin did not last long. No worries I plan on this being in my tobacco seller all the time. great smoke and in my veiw a most try for every one who smokes a pipe.

CapnStuby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CapnStuby (26)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This tobacco smells great in the can, but doesn't carry much of the rum and maple flavor into the smoke. It DOES smoke cool, doesn't foul up the bowl and is easy to light. The taste is mostly burley and there doesn't seem to be any Virginia that I can detect in the blend. It's not the BEST smoke, but it's a mild, everyday tobacco that doesn't offend others, burns well and has good value. I paid $3.99 for a 50g tin and that's about the right price point for it. It's better than the Captain Black series and MUCH better than the drugstore stuff that comes in the 1lb bags, but it's not going to win any awards.

Update: My tin might have sat on a shelf or baked in heat for awhile, driving out the flavor. With this in mind, I can't really give a true rating until I get a good sample of it. When I can, I will adjust the rating and update this review, accordingly.

Pipe Used: Brookfield quarter bent

Age When Smoked: fresh from sealed can

Purchased From: Local Tobacconist

Similar Blends: Captain Black White.

PugetPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PugetPiper (1)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I fell in love with Sutliff's Maple Street the first time I tried it (about three years ago). At the time I had been dabbling in pipe smoking off and on for several years, with cigarettes (ugh!) being my regular tobacco product. I was really keen to replace my cigarette habit with the pipe, but frustrations with finding a tobacco that I really enjoyed (i.e., a daily smoke) always caused an eventual relapse to cigarettes. A good part of my frustration, I have since learned, wasn't the fault of the various tobaccos at all - it was my own lack of experience in how to properly smoke, and thus enjoy, the pipe. I wanted a quick, hassle-free and (most importantly) repeatable experience from one bowl to the next and I wasn't getting that. I blamed it on the tobacco and moved blindly from one variety to the next until, finally, I happened upon Maple Street. This tobacco changed the whole pipe smoking experience for me and I attribute that to one reason: I really enjoyed smoking it. So, I stayed with it and, eventually, learned how to get the enjoyable and repeatable experience I was looking for.

Maple Street is my favorite tobacco - period. It has everything I think a good, everyday pipe tobacco should have:

1) its base tobaccos are of a very high quality; 2) its near-perfect moisture content and short ribbon/broken flake consistency tends to load and pack easily, resisting any tendency toward an overly tight draw; 3) it lights easily and, more often than not, stays lit right to the end of the bowl; 4) the maple and rum casing is just strong enough to give it a wonderfully sweet aroma while not overpowering the natural smells and flavors of the underlying tobacco - and the casing is a taste/smell I just don't tire of (unlike those of fruit, candy, etc...) 5) it is remarkably consistent from tin to tin.

Maple Street produces a good volume of creamy, sweet, bready, nutty, toasty smoke and, of course, a wonderful room note that really does smell like natural maple and rum. I find I enjoy it most in a medium-sized bowl (briar or meerschaum, makes no difference) in a 3/4 to full-bent format which places that wonderful nutty, toasty smell of the warm smoke directly beneath my nose. I regularly get a good 35-40 minutes of non-stop smoking pleasure from a bowl of Maple Street on a single light (after 2-3 charring lights).

The only thing I think Maple Street lacks (for me, at least) is a bit more body and nicotine, so I often blend it with other Virginia/burley tobaccos (such as Carter Hall or Sail Yellow - which I also adore, by the way) in ratios of about 2 parts Maple Street to 1 part each of the others.

I can't say enough good about Sutliff's Maple Street - it's just a wonderful tobacco and I hope it stays in production in its current form for a long time to come.

Age When Smoked: New to 3+ Years

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I will start by saying I will approach this review as a man who does not often smoke aromatics but understands aromatics as a genre. Those reviewers who continually review types of tobaccos they inherently don't like are doing an injustice to the tobaccos they review. If you don't like the taste of wine, all of your wine reviews would be negative, the same is true for aromatics. Comparing an aromatic to your favorite English blend is an apples to oranges situation.

Being a native Vermonter anything maple catches my interest, as we have the best maple syrup in the world produced in my back yard. I had high hopes for this blend and it didn't disappoint. The tin aroma is heavenly as you would expect, and the room note is very nice too. I really liked the cut of this tobacco, it is so easy to pack and light, and it stays lit remarkably well considering it has that sticky aromatic thing going for it.

There was just a hint of tongue bite, not at all unbearable, and considering other members of the aromatic family I would say the tongue bite is a non issue for this blend.

There is a hint of maple but less than I would have hoped. There was a nice nutty burley undertone that was enjoyable but if I want to focus on burlies I will grab a burley blend, with a blend titled maple street I expect some major maple.

This was a nice blend, and performed very well for an aromatic. I still prefer C&D Autumn Evening when it comes to a maple based smoke, but this one was pleasant.

Keac241 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Keac241 (8)
Mild Medium Mild Tolerable

I bought a tin because of the name and description from the manufacture and some of the nice reviews here. But sadly, this is a major disappointment. The packaging is very nice and professional. Smell is fairly good but the rum overwhelms the maple and not very balanced in my opinion.

Taste is mild and not very exciting at all. My wife complained about the room note saying it somehow irritated her throat and she wasn't too fancy of the smell either. So I guess I won't be smoking anymore of it. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone in my honest opinion.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

Sut. Maple Street.. Tin aroma is sure enough, maple with a hint of alcohol. Moisture seemed OK, but a little airing out never hurts, so I gave it 10 minutes of full sunlight. Followed by fill up and a light tamp in a clean cob. Light up, and the first puffs went as normal, Pulling in those first few puffs, I remarked to myself, this stuff sure is mild, an understatement for sure. OK aroma, but nothing else, just a faint flavor of burley, and I mean faint. Many of my favorite smokes are mild, but they all have at least some taste. This one is just too weak for me, both in strength and flavor. Add to that, the after smoke mouth feel, is similar to how your mouth feels after drinking a strong hot tea, OK for tea, but out of place for tobacco. This combination just does not suit me at all. Maybe the above description is what you have been searching for, if that's the case, your search is over. For me, no more. Because, I may be alone in finding this stuff so odd, 2 stars. My personal rating 1 of 5

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

After reading the reviews here, I was anxious to try this blend, so I ordered a couple of tins to try. Smelled nice enough upon opening the tin. But that was about it. Not all that tasty really, and it smokes hot. An overpriced disappointment in a pretty package.

TommyKinda Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TommyKinda (6)

Add me to the list of people who got freebies. Girlfriend loved the smell as soon as the tin opened. It smells like pancakes on the table. The maple flavoring doesn't take over and smokes cool until you hammer it. I actually forgot about this blend because I stashed the tin in my desk drawer instead of the tobacco shelf. Out of sight - Out of mind I suppose. Going to get a couple of big tins as soon as I hit submit.

Sorringowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sorringowl (8)

Just finished my first tin of this and I will probably get more. This is a very pleasant smoke. The room note is very nice and the 1.5 oz tin I got was not damp at all (like so many compressed tins). Packed loosely in its tin, the tobacco has a very fluffy consistency. Easy to pack, easy to light, with big, thick puffs of white smoke. Does not smoke hot at all and the flavoring is not overwhelming (like a lot of aromatics). I have heard better things about the 1.5 oz tin as opposed to the 8 oz tin, so, I will probably stick with that. Perhaps it's because the size of 1.5 oz tin is bigger than most 2 oz. tins despite having less tobacco. This is a good all day smoke and I would highly recommend it.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am not a big fan of aromatic blends, but our pipe club got a shipment of this blend so I thought I should try it... The rum and maple blend was interesting and smoked well in my meerschaum pipe. I wished for more "real tobacco" taste. While I would never buy this blend, I will enjoy smoking it in the company of non smokers. Everyone who smells it, loves it.

Bryant Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bryant (11)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I got a tin of Maple Leaf after reading on Puff.com about a sampler giveaway from Sutliffe Tobacco Company. Upon opening the tin, the smell was exceptional with hints of sweet maple and dark rum. The color was an even almond color throughout the fine cut ribbons and the moisture content was just right. It was loosely packed within the tin, perhaps more so than I normally prefer. However it has fast become a staple of my rotation though I would advise that you let it cure a few days as it seems to burn a bit saturated. The smoke was very cool, almost not bite to the blend. Four stars and perhaps one of the best rum flavored smokes I've enjoyed.

Rewster66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rewster66 (15)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Who would have ever thought that Altadis could ever offer a blend that can be compared with the quality of Boswell's, Rich's, Uhle's, or Pipeworks & Wilke. This stuff is fantastic! When I recieved it in the mail the package was labled Altadis and I was apprehensive when I opened it (but hey, it was free). When I saw the can I really liked the looks of it. When I saw the name of the tobacco (Maple Street), I thought it was ironic that I had just ordered some Maple Steamer from Rich's a few moments earlier. When I opened the can I was pleasantly surprised by the aroma of the tobacco but was reluctant to fire it up after all the other disasterous blends I had tried from Altadis. Stuffed a Jobey pipe with it and put the flame too it, set back and waited. WOW - I LOVE THIS STUFF!!! I blowed throught the whole can and was quickly ordering some more. THIS IS AS GOOD AS - AND BETTER THAN MOST AROMATICS ON THE MARKET!!! Just enough of everything and not too much of anything. None of the chemical undertones of all their other blends.

YOU BETTER GET YA SOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY JACK HAS A GREAT DESCRIPTION OF THIS BLEND!

I have to say I have smoked several of the 1.5 oz. tins and a couple of the 8 oz. tins. For some odd reason the 1.5 oz. tins have a much more distict flavor and aroma. I will probably continue to go with the 1.5 tins because for what ever reason they are that much better. The downside is the price is so much cheaper per ounce in the 8 oz. tins.

happy jack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
happy jack (25)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

O yea, SPOT ON. If you like aromatics, this is a must. The tin aroma was just as sweet as your first kiss. Moist enougth to hold the casing, yet dry enough so you get a wonderfull tobacco. The tin was filled and the cut was superb. I just got a Nording 5, and I pondered on what I was going to smoke, let me tell you I took a beautifull pipe and filled it with an aromatic!!!, thats a NO NO,. Well it was worth the try. I got such a great full smoke, a great aroma, an easy light,great smoking, roll, sip,inhale, blow big smoke rings, there was a little gergle in the middle, but I let her sit for a minut or 2, and I had only one relight, this is very different, not your average aromatic, I will be keeping this on hand, and plenty of it. 5 stars in my book, I got a lot of virgina outa this, add the blend and you have one heck of a smoke, a great goodnit smoke.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

It smells wonderful, however I did not find the taste to match the room note. It has a bitter soapy taste which only gets more bitter further down the bowl. The aftertaste was even worse. It also gooped up my pipe with sludge at the bottom, which is going to have to be deep cleaned out.

modelmanmodels Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
modelmanmodels (11)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

This was a situation that surprised me. For starters, when I opened the tin I did not like the smell. I thought I was in for an OMG this is going to be awful...I don't know, we're all different and that's why reviews are interesting to me. Having said that, I stokked a bowl and lit it. WOW! What a surprise! Nothing and I mean nothing like the smell of the tin. Delightful! And a room note that had compliments coming from strangers at the smoke shop that I frequent. This was a "you can't judge a book by its cover" lesson. Most often we are allured by the unlit scent of the tobacco only to find that it tastes like rope and the room note has us being asked to leave. Just the opposite here. I'm a 30 year smoker of pipes. This is a great started tobacco for the neophyte or a nice mild change of pace for the veteran. Enjoy!

gazpacho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gazpacho (18)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I also received a tin of this tobacco free in the mail.

The tin is huge for it's weight. Unlike every other tin I've every seen, the tobacco inside isn't packed tight. Upon openning, you will notice the almost over-powering aroma of the topping. To me, it smelt like a very strong drink of eggnog. The moisture level in the tin was almost ideal for smoking.

The tobacco packed well. The curly cut was consistent, without woody bits or chunks. It took and extra charring light, but once the tobacco was well lit, it stayed lit throughout. The bowl remained cool, until I started to puff away, purposefully trying to heat it up. It eventually did, but cooled back down when I let up on the puffing. Through the entire (large) bowl I only used one pipe cleaner.

The room note is very nice, almost bordering on potpouri. It reminded me of Peterson's Sunset Breeze, just a little lighter. The amount of white puffy smoke was astounding. This tobacco likes to put out the clouds! But the really nice thing about this tobacco was that the topping doesn't smother the flavor. To be honest, I tasted almost none of the flavoring. Instead, I tasted mostly the burley, being remarkable in it's resemblance to Prince Albert.

This is a smooth tobacco that burns cool and (mostly) dry. I would Highly (4 stars) recommend this for beginners as it is very forgiving, with no bad habits. For experienced smokers I'd say it's more like 2.75 stars.

Edit: The sides of the tin are aluminum cover cardboard, so I would recommend against buying tins that have sat on the shelf for a long time. Also I would recommend against cellaring in unopenned tins. Instead transfer the tobacco immediately to a mason jar or bailing jar.

Update 11/30/2009: The tin is gone, smoked up with a friend of mine. Move it up to 3.50 stars for experienced smokers. We each have and 8oz tin on order, and it will probably go into my main rotation. It's just Yummy with no pretensions. Also, it's fabulous in a cob when you are out Trout fishin'.

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I got a tin of this in the mail today and I am very surprised at how good it is. Usually anytime Rum or Whiskey is used in a tobacco I can't stand it. I popped open the tin and had a sniff. Wow! Very nice smell to it.

I packed a bowl and had at it. The flavors came through just like sniffing the open tin! Not overpowering at all but rich and light at the same time, and very good. Very good maple flavor and the Rum complemented the overall taste. Just slightly more moist than I normally like my tobacco but only a couple of hours of leaving the tin open has easily fixed that.

I plan on having many tins of this in my tobacco cellar in the very near future. A very nice blend that I will not hesitate to purchase more of. The price is very low considering the high quality and taste. I've looked up the prices online and it's almost a drug store blend price.

My wife likes the room note so much she is encouraging me to buy more!

Ndfmcfc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ndfmcfc (5)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I purchased this tobacco because I was so pleased with my first Sutcliff, which was the Molto Dolce. In looking at the description and reviews I thought I would give it a go. On opening the tin, I was delighted with the strong and sweet aroma. I had heard about the room note that was like smoked pancakes, so I was very much looking forward to it. the problem was that i used it on a virgin pipe that had no seasoning, so I am wondering if that might have had a negative effect. I noticed an immediate bite that I never got with the MD, and it was very difficult to keep alight. I definitely got some smokey pancake taste and room note, and my assumption was that it was the maple casing that gave me the thought of these pancakes. However, through it al, the bite was definitely there to be felt.

My first impression was to give it a 2 rating, but I decided to wait until my second smoke to rate it. For the second smoke I used a more seasoned pipe, and I definitely got a more satisfying smoke. This time it stayed alight longer and I only needed a couple of relights. I was more satisfied this time round, so I will give a three instead of a two. However, I will reorder my MD before reordering this one.

jfox520 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jfox520 (6)

Upon opening the tin the smell of the maple and rum came wafting out. During the charring light there was some crackling. On the true light the maple flavor was prominent. After the first third of the bowl the maple and rum melded together making for a great tasting smoke. From there the flavor stayed consistent. The room note was more the aroma of rum than the maple. The tobacco burned well with minimal re-lights and no tongue bite. The mixture of the golden Virginia and White Burley kept the smoke cool but flavorful. This is a good aromatic not overpowering.

The Conde Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Conde (17)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Very Strong

I really like this blend, but it is a little too sweet. It isn't as wet as I thought it was going to be. Room note is very strong, people walking by outside commented that it smells like pancakes. This blend is one of my favorite aromatics but may be too sweet for others.

firmitas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firmitas (6)
Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

It is an economical tobacco so no over-promises. However, I found the flavoring overwhelming and somewhat artificial. The tobacco burned somewhat unevenly. I do not intend to buy it again.

jhennis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jhennis (5)

A very good smoke indeed. The maple and rum comes shining through in spades but not overpowering. This one is best snoked slow in short puffs to get the full effect of all the flavors. Warning!!! If you chow down on this one it can get a little hot! Overall one of my favorites that tastes as good as it smells and that's rare! You gotta try this one!

tralbertson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tralbertson (3)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I really like this tobacco. Its smell's great when you open the tin. It smoke's cool with no bite. The room note smell's like smoked pancakes. I could actually taste and smell the flavor as I smoked. I highly recommend.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin aroma of this long, fine ribbon is strongly imbued with rum and maple to which tobacco scents are mostly subsumed.

This is a rather typical blend of white burleys and bright virginias along with a touch of dark leaf, seemingly black cavendish. The topping, bold and authentic, is dominated by the rum and felicitously enhanced by the sweetening effect of the maple.

Maple Street is a commonly themed aromatic which is uncommonly delicious. Rum and maple, ever excellent aromatic choices, make this a constant and companionable delight. It will definitely ghost a briar and went well in a chamber of any gauge.

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (51)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I have been getting into aromatic blends lately and since my favorite season is right around the corner i decided something maple flavored was necessary. The smell of this stuff is truly fantastic. Im glad i can smell it while i smoke it. The flavor is not as strong as the room note but it still tastes great. Light maple taste and a light burly taste. It is great. Light up a bowl of this close your eyes and imagine your sitting on a bale of hay at a beautiful pumpkin patch. Don't it just take you back. I am going to try autumn evening next but i think maple aromatics and either heavy english or balkan blends are going to be my fall time smokes .

mackaydjames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mackaydjames (10)
Mild Strong Very Full Pleasant

It's been about two weeks since my introduction smoke of this blend. I've decided to make it a point to never judge a blend by its first smoke; but... I would have been just as well to have done so because my second smoke IS as pleasurable as the first. "Is", because I am enjoying a 45 min. bowl as I type... in a beautifully handmade Soren. I have nothing negative to report. When I opened the tin for the first time and took a whiff, I thought, "Mmmmmmmmm... Liquor". This blend is wonderfully easy to pack; very handily cut. On first light, the rum flavor was very generous, very prominent and... very tasty. What an even and... mature smoke too. Before each draw, I swallow all saliva in order to have the burst of warm flavored smoke be the most effective. I will be purchasing this blend again and... can't wait until the fall so I can try it amidst a brisker air.

EastEndPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EastEndPipes (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

A wonderful aromatic that certainly lives up to its name. A pungent taste of maple lasts throughout the smoke. Burns very well right down to the bottom of the bowl with virtually no relights. Perfect moisture content right out of the tin and therefore I would not recommend any drying out measures. Can bite just a wee bit only if puffed aggrssively. In conclusion this blend is clearly one of my favorites and a mainstay in my rotation.

cletus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cletus (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

For a free sample, you can't go wrong. I may even pick some more up.

I was told to stay away from maple anything, but this was a very pleasing smoke.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (61)

This is one of the better aromatics out there (this from someone who does not usually smoke aeros). It is not too moist out of the tin, lights/burns well and I found it flavorful and cool smoking. If you enjoy aromatics, this one should be in your rotation.

Fountainhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fountainhead (16)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a decent aromatic. It has no bite or "gunkiness" about it. The maple taste is crafted really well into the mixture and has a beautiful old-time maple syrup aroma. It has a very refined taste and smoking nature, unlike many aromatics I have smoked. I only smoke aromatics in my corn cob (I would also use a meerschaum if I owned one) which tends to tolerate some of the negative aspects of aromatics better than my briar pipes, so I tend to have pleasant experiences anyway. Like all aromatics though, the taste is bland, with a slight hint of the rum.

pipe row19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe row19 (25)

This was nice stuff. One of the only aromatics i smoke right now. You can taste the rum and maple unlike other aros that taste bland and smoke hot. Every aromatic fan needs to try this

skyeye Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
skyeye (3)

Ok first off, I am not quite sure how this tobacco came to me. I have not had any contact with the tobacco company / blender that produces this, much less given out my address to them. So when I recived this I really wasnt sure what to think.

I opened the very large evelope it was in, and saw what it was. I read that it was maple and rum flavored. By far the under statement of the century, by tin aroma anyway. It is so sickeningly sweet in the tin that I literaly had to stuff my nose with cotton to have it open long enough to pack. That being said I tend to dislike extreamly sweet smelling things.

It packed ok I suppose... I was in a hurry to close the tin to be honest. It seemed only a tad bit moist so I set I left the tobacco in the pipe to dry for about 30 minuets.

Start up was easy, With relativly few bad tasteing/smelling amounts of smoke compared to captain black royal (the only other tobacco I have smoked). It didnt seem to burn hot unless I literaly constantly kept puffing. Tounge bite was literaly non-existent with me for this blend. It does seem to burn slightly fast, but I think that was mainly because I was actually trying to get it to bite me.

As far as the flavors go while smoking, it is actually rather pleasent. A subtle spicy ness, fair amount of nutty-ness, a hint of the sweetness of maple syrup, and a dash of what seems to be maple leaves aswell. It is a very good smoke. I only have 1 persons opinion of the room note for now, but that person enjoyed it.

All in all I would have to say that It is a very nicely rounded blend, and I am very lucky to have recived a tin of this, as my cb royal is running low. I would advise smoking it in a clean cob.

3.5/4 stars

harkpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
harkpipe (4)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Maple Street is my second favorite aromatic next to my Blue Note. I also received a free tin in the mail and found Maple Street to be a surprising experience of sweet aroma as well as taste. This is a great all around pipe experience since it burns well, burns cool, has great wife approval and flavor to boot.

harkpipe

classicrider21 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
classicrider21 (4)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I receieved a free tin in the mail and I really liked the blend intially. I liked it enough to order a large tin on my next order. I do like the flavor but it is not as strong a tobacco flavor as I like. It smokes HOT! I can't smoke it slow enough to keep it cool. Even in a meeshaum it smokes hot. I have blended it with some english blends to mellow out the english and cool down the Maple Street. It blends well. It will take me a long time to smoke this tin.

ecce_ego Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ecce_ego (12)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Like a previous reviewer, I found the smell on opening the tin to be quite bad. It was like taking a big whiff from a bottle of rum. I cannot stand the smell of alcohol, so I was prepared for a bad smoke, too. However, the taste really is nothing like the smell. There is a pleasant maple note with just a hint of rum. Room note is sweet without the overpowering smell of the tin. As for the aftertaste- it's not unpleasant, but I keep getting a familiar taste. Almost like pinon, but hard to describe.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

A fine aromatic with a marvelous maple room note and a similar maple taste with hints of rum in the background. It reminds me of Dunhill A-21000, with a woodsier taste and similar cut, smell and burning qualities.

Dewey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dewey (5)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Strong

Also got this one in the mail. I haven't even been smoking a full year, but this is the best smoke I've had yet, that is compared to Prince Albert, Borkum and Riff, and some cheap & horrid cherry and vanillas I bought. Untill now Borkum and Riff Whiskey was my favorite, but I will be ordering a tin of this instead. I almost enjoy just smelling it as much as smoking it. And like someone else said a 8oz tin is only $10. 5 stars from me. :)

Hopkins1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hopkins1 (7)

I usually dont like Maple blends, but I was snookered into trying this from the local pipe club.

They claimed it actually smoked and tasted like TOBACCO!!!!

Sure enough, the casing came through when I opened the tin, maple it was. I couldnt smell the rum really.

After first light, I was pleasantly surprised as the casing did not overbear the taste of the tobacco.

If you have someone around you that loves IHOP or Waffle House, this blend will surely get their attention because it smells like maple syrup on pancakes.

Definitely 4 stars.

dt753 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dt753 (12)

Upon opening the tin, the aroma of rum comes through loud and clear. The tobacco is very thinly cut, and stringy. One of the first things I noticed was the moisture level was really great and not at all wet.

I loosely filled the bowl of one of my Savinelli billiards with Maple Street. I was surprised at how well it took to a match. I was rewarded with a gentle taste of rum and maple, exactly as the description on the tin promised. Not very strong, and certainly not overpowering... it is evident that the guys who came up with this blend wanted the real tobacco taste (mostly Virginia to me) to come through loud-and-clear.

I took my time smoking this blend, and reaped the rewards of a good smoke...no bite and a great flavor...just a simple reminder that one need not spend outrageous amounts of money to buy untra-premium tins of tobaccos to enjoy a truly wonderful and relaxing smoke. I smoked this bowl all the way to the bottom with only two tamps and one match. When finished, I found a dry bowl with a fine, grey ash in the bottom. What more can one ask for?