A fantastic blend of complementary ingredients: Rum and Maple applied to golden Virginia and mellow white burley. Perfect for fans of Mapleton or Rum & Maple.

Notes: This blend is manufactured by Sutliff, and sold under their "Sutliff Private Stock" brand.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
FlavoringMaple, Rum
Packaging1.5 tin
Strength
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant

2.9
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The tin note is rum and maple, and I taste a little rum while smoking it, but maple is definitely the predominant flavor. I get a slight pistachio note or two as well as some earth from the white burley, too. There's a few grass and citrus notes from the Viriginia. The toppings are the star here. Has little nicotine. Won’t bite or get harsh. Burns at a moderate pace, cool, clean and even all the way to the bottom, never losing flavor. Needs an average number of relights. Leaves little moisture in the bowl. The very pleasant after taste and room notes linger a little. and everybody around me who has smelled it notices the maple and not the rum.

The topping is a little heavy for me, but it is tasty and has a pleasant room note. This has been a good smoke, and I recommend it just in general. If you are an aromatic lover, you owe it to yourself to try this.

I taste the burley base and maple is the main flavor in the profile. There may be a hint of rum or caramel in there, but the sweet was not a honey. The Virginia may be contributing to this sweet, but it plays a supporting role and I am not identifying much Virginia here.

I may try thinning this with some blending burley or Virginia just to suit my palate.

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (71)

Sutliff Maple Street was offered as a replacement for the deceased House of Windsor Mapleton. Maple Street is better. Mapleton was a full aromatic with a predominately maple aroma and taste, with a subsidiary rum note. The same is true of Maple Street. Mapleton also had an unadvertised perique component, and Maple Street does not, at least so far as a can tell, and that is an improvement. The Maple Street room note is pleasing. The maple aroma and taste does call to mind pancakes with maple syrup. The rum, although not front and center, is clearly present.

To enjoy this tobacco you must be one who likes aromatic tobaccos, at least on occasion. (I prefer great variety in my smoking, and I choose an aromatic about one fourth of the time.) The full flavor and aroma of an aromatic comes at the cost of more goop in the pipe. Maple Street is not particularly bad in this respect, but the smoke will be wetter than for a non aromatic. The tobacco used is Virginia and burley, and the burley predominates. But the burley haters by and large do not smoke aromatics either.

A plus for Maple Street is that it comes cheaper than most tinned aromatics. I wavered between a two star and three star rating for Maple Street. I settled on the two star; but it is for me a very high two star.

Jallen49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jallen49 (24)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Alright...now I love aromatics, I just do. So, keep that in mind as you read...

This stuff is surprisingly great (especially when I recieved it for free). It tastes great: nice caramel/maple flavoring with a very faint taste of rum (which is hard to detect). No bite, and I ALWAYS get compliments about the pleasing smell. I have tried many of the aromatics that are supposed to be great, but this underdog can hang with the best of them. Smokes clean with no gunk left behind. All in all, a highly recommended smoke for newcomers and veterans alike. Worth trying, and its cheap so you can't lose!

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (107)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

It's like smoking the IHOP ! I think it's a damn good Aromatic and would give it 4 stars if it had a bit more body . The room note is great and the taste is very nice . It smokes pretty dry and is very low in nicotine . As with most Sutliff Private Stock blends , it lights and keeps lit well

PugetPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PugetPiper (2)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I fell in love with Sutliff's Maple Street the first time I tried it (about three years ago). At the time I had been dabbling in pipe smoking off and on for several years, with cigarettes (ugh!) being my regular tobacco product. I was really keen to replace my cigarette habit with the pipe, but frustrations with finding a tobacco that I really enjoyed (i.e., a daily smoke) always caused an eventual relapse to cigarettes. A good part of my frustration, I have since learned, wasn't the fault of the various tobaccos at all - it was my own lack of experience in how to properly smoke, and thus enjoy, the pipe. I wanted a quick, hassle-free and (most importantly) repeatable experience from one bowl to the next and I wasn't getting that. I blamed it on the tobacco and moved blindly from one variety to the next until, finally, I happened upon Maple Street. This tobacco changed the whole pipe smoking experience for me and I attribute that to one reason: I really enjoyed smoking it. So, I stayed with it and, eventually, learned how to get the enjoyable and repeatable experience I was looking for.

Maple Street is my favorite tobacco - period. It has everything I think a good, everyday pipe tobacco should have:

1) its base tobaccos are of a very high quality; 2) its near-perfect moisture content and short ribbon/broken flake consistency tends to load and pack easily, resisting any tendency toward an overly tight draw; 3) it lights easily and, more often than not, stays lit right to the end of the bowl; 4) the maple and rum casing is just strong enough to give it a wonderfully sweet aroma while not overpowering the natural smells and flavors of the underlying tobacco - and the casing is a taste/smell I just don't tire of (unlike those of fruit, candy, etc...) 5) it is remarkably consistent from tin to tin.

Maple Street produces a good volume of creamy, sweet, bready, nutty, toasty smoke and, of course, a wonderful room note that really does smell like natural maple and rum. I find I enjoy it most in a medium-sized bowl (briar or meerschaum, makes no difference) in a 3/4 to full-bent format which places that wonderful nutty, toasty smell of the warm smoke directly beneath my nose. I regularly get a good 35-40 minutes of non-stop smoking pleasure from a bowl of Maple Street on a single light (after 2-3 charring lights).

The only thing I think Maple Street lacks (for me, at least) is a bit more body and nicotine, so I often blend it with other Virginia/burley tobaccos (such as Carter Hall or Sail Yellow - which I also adore, by the way) in ratios of about 2 parts Maple Street to 1 part each of the others.

I can't say enough good about Sutliff's Maple Street - it's just a wonderful tobacco and I hope it stays in production in its current form for a long time to come.

Age When Smoked: New to 3+ Years

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

TWolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TWolf (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I REALLY wanted to like this one. I really did. I've gone through about half a tin, in four different pipes (briar, cob, meer, Falcon), fresh out of the tin and giving it a chance to dry a bit. And it just didn't click for me. Opening the tin was a beautiful experience. The aroma was, well, delicious. I've smoked Sutliff's Molto Dulche (which I loved) so I was expecting Maple Street to be really wet. It was quite a bit drier in the tin than I expected. It packed well. Lit well. The fist bowl took a couple of relight over the course of the smoke but after that it burned quite well. I've heard so many people talk about how it tastes like pancakes and that the maple really comes through. Sorry but I just did not have that experience. This was one where if I took it extremely slowly and only took tiny sips then I was rewarded with a hint of maple. It didn't seem to take much to push this one too hard. Burley tobacco has a tendency to taste like cigarettes to me and it leaves me feeling (and smelling, and tasting) like I just smoked a cigarette. Sometimes I actually want that but not when I reach for an Aro. Maple Street seems a bit too burley forward for my tastes and I'm not seeing any of the Aro pleasantness I expect when smoking a blend like this.

ArmedOctopus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArmedOctopus (20)

This is a wonderful tobacco that is perfect for fall or winter. Unlike a lot of aromatic blends, Maple Street does not taste artificial, but instead carries a very nice natural maple flavor. This is good quality tobacco.

TIN: The tin note is exceptional. The smell of the Burley and Virginia mingles very well with the maple topping. I'd even go so far as to say it may even have a touch of vanilla. Fantastic smell. Moist but not overly so.

SMOKING: This cut of this blend lends itself to a nice and easy charring light with little or no effort to keep it burning. The sweet flavor is balanced well by the nuttiness of the burley, with the sweetness coming from both the virginias and the maple flavoring. I did notice a touch of tongue bite, but I was in a hurry and so it may have just been user error. However, it wasnt anything that lingered to the next day. The maple notes come through beautifully and mingle extremely well with the nutty burley. Imagine pancakes with maple syrup and walnuts. If that thought makes your mouth water, this is for you. Oh, and it got no complaints from the wife, so that is a big plus.

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)

I have had a tin of this sitting around for a little while and just now opened it. The tin note is good. Not too wet and packs nice. Burns kind of fast but not too hot, doesn't get goopy either. The taste is pretty good. Overall, I like this blend and would buy another tin for sure to add to my cellar stash.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I will start by saying I will approach this review as a man who does not often smoke aromatics but understands aromatics as a genre. Those reviewers who continually review types of tobaccos they inherently don't like are doing an injustice to the tobaccos they review. If you don't like the taste of wine, all of your wine reviews would be negative, the same is true for aromatics. Comparing an aromatic to your favorite English blend is an apples to oranges situation.

Being a native Vermonter anything maple catches my interest, as we have the best maple syrup in the world produced in my back yard. I had high hopes for this blend and it didn't disappoint. The tin aroma is heavenly as you would expect, and the room note is very nice too. I really liked the cut of this tobacco, it is so easy to pack and light, and it stays lit remarkably well considering it has that sticky aromatic thing going for it.

There was just a hint of tongue bite, not at all unbearable, and considering other members of the aromatic family I would say the tongue bite is a non issue for this blend.

There is a hint of maple but less than I would have hoped. There was a nice nutty burley undertone that was enjoyable but if I want to focus on burlies I will grab a burley blend, with a blend titled maple street I expect some major maple.

This was a nice blend, and performed very well for an aromatic. I still prefer C&D Autumn Evening when it comes to a maple based smoke, but this one was pleasant.

RamblinMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RamblinMan (4)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Great maple and rum scent from the tin. I was worried about this blend gurgling, it seemed a bit moist at first, no problems though. Tastes and smells like pancakes, a bit strong in the sweetness department for me. I might actually use this blend to add a bit of flavor to some of the Virginia blends that I find too heavy on the burley. Overall, worth a try if you are looking for a sweet way to start your day or just enjoy maple syrup!

modelmanmodels Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
modelmanmodels (11)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

This was a situation that surprised me. For starters, when I opened the tin I did not like the smell. I thought I was in for an OMG this is going to be awful...I don't know, we're all different and that's why reviews are interesting to me. Having said that, I stokked a bowl and lit it. WOW! What a surprise! Nothing and I mean nothing like the smell of the tin. Delightful! And a room note that had compliments coming from strangers at the smoke shop that I frequent. This was a "you can't judge a book by its cover" lesson. Most often we are allured by the unlit scent of the tobacco only to find that it tastes like rope and the room note has us being asked to leave. Just the opposite here. I'm a 30 year smoker of pipes. This is a great started tobacco for the neophyte or a nice mild change of pace for the veteran. Enjoy!

tankbuster183 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tankbuster183 (5)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Like one of the other users mentioned, I want to like this more than I actually do. The tin note is wonderful; I immediately thought of rum cake. I am thinking my tin was on the shelf for a while as there was a lot stuck to the bottom, maybe from casing?

A common complaint with Sutliff seems to be too much casing, I thought threre was just enough on this. The cut is pretty fine and burns very well. I tend to get Burley bite, but that's my own fault because I smoke aromatics too fast, so I can't knock Sutliff for that. I give it a 2 out of 4; nothing to really hate but nothing to really write home about either.

Pipe Used: Nording Freehand

Age When Smoked: +1 year

Purchased From: Greentree Tobacco Sewell NJ

Sorringowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sorringowl (8)

Just finished my first tin of this and I will probably get more. This is a very pleasant smoke. The room note is very nice and the 1.5 oz tin I got was not damp at all (like so many compressed tins). Packed loosely in its tin, the tobacco has a very fluffy consistency. Easy to pack, easy to light, with big, thick puffs of white smoke. Does not smoke hot at all and the flavoring is not overwhelming (like a lot of aromatics). I have heard better things about the 1.5 oz tin as opposed to the 8 oz tin, so, I will probably stick with that. Perhaps it's because the size of 1.5 oz tin is bigger than most 2 oz. tins despite having less tobacco. This is a good all day smoke and I would highly recommend it.

oldorder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldorder (22)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Overwhelming

Maple Street, probably my biggest mistake so far in pipe tobacco purchases. My tin opening came across as dry and very neutral. More straw-like, and even less than straw in aroma. Upon searching, just a minute hint of maple. Hydrated, not much improvement. Burnt hot, rough. Room note from wife, burning grass on a hot summer day. Only tobacco so far that I could not recommend to anyone. Really no topping, casing, or flavor noticed...

Pipe Used: Various briars and cobs

Age When Smoked: Very old and dried out

Purchased From: P and C

Similar Blends: Not sure . To rough and bitter to equate to any thing else..

jfox520 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jfox520 (6)

Upon opening the tin the smell of the maple and rum came wafting out. During the charring light there was some crackling. On the true light the maple flavor was prominent. After the first third of the bowl the maple and rum melded together making for a great tasting smoke. From there the flavor stayed consistent. The room note was more the aroma of rum than the maple. The tobacco burned well with minimal re-lights and no tongue bite. The mixture of the golden Virginia and White Burley kept the smoke cool but flavorful. This is a good aromatic not overpowering.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Sutliff Tobacco Co. - Maple Street.

A medium brown ribbon, with a few light and dark flecks, and is only a touch too moist.

The smoke has a pleasant enough flavour, nothing amazing, but nice. The maple outweighs the rum, easily. The rum gives a touch of rich, molasses, sweetness, but the slightly aromatic maple wins the race. The Burley has a milder character than some of the strong, toasty, rustic varieties, and like the maple with the rum, outweighs the Virginia. The burn from M.S. is a winner, going consistently and cool, but it bites me a bit.

Nicotine: mild to medium. Room-note: nice.

Maple Street: a good aromatic, not spectacular, but I'll give it three stars:

Rcommended.

Pipe Used: Atinok Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Two months

Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (34)
Mild Very Strong Overwhelming Very Strong

This stuff was cut into a fine ribbon. Upon opening the tin, I was almost bowled over by the maple smell. It smelled like it was soaked in two bottles of Aunt Jemima. Not goopy or sticky for an aromatic. It had good burn qualities and only took one relight after the charring light. It was, however, way too sweet for me. If I want pancakes smothered in maple syrup I'll eat them, not try to cram them into a pipe and smoke them. After a couple bowls, I dumped this stuff into the trash.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow, Kaywoodie

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of tin.

Purchased From: B&M Tobacco Shop

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

On the dark side color-wise and wet in the tin with a nicely subdued tin aroma of maple with a touch of rum on the side. Appeared wetter than it was, and loading was no problem, with no tobacco sticking to the fingers. Burned really well with no relights.

This was apparently designed as a substitute for Rum & Maple or Mapleton. I've never smoked the former and I strongly preferred Sutliff's Mapleton Match over this one for the latter. Most of the Sutliff's I've tried were gifted to me but I bought this one to see how it compared to the Mapleton Match. This was more of a gooper version (goop perversion?) of the match. Even so, it smoked very dry. I had no issues with moisture. The maple taste was more pronounced in this one than in the match, but it still wasn't heavy. All was well for a short while, but then the chemical taste came on. I get a chemical taste from a lot of heavier aromatics but more often from Sutliff than from, say, Lane's. Even some of Sutliff's non-aromatics have traces of this chemically medicinal flavor. In this one, it negated any of the flavor positives this blend had. Too bad because if that could be tamed, this would be a really nice aromatic... it smoked dry and cool and gave me more than a hint of maple but not too much. But that chemical taste was too pervasive. One star for my personal taste, but this one does some things well so I'm upping it to two stars. For maple taste, I'd recommend C&D's Autumn Evening (on the heavier taste side) or House of Calabash's Canadian Maple (on the lighter taste side) well over this one. I did mix this one with some rougher burley which soaked up some of the chemical taste, but overall I didn't feel this one was worth pursuing any further.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)

The flavor of this mixture is delicate and nowhere near as sweet as expected. Without adequate dry time it smokes a bit steamy and I get more rum than I do maple. With enough dry time, there's better balance between the primary flavorings and the base tobacco flavor comes through with a bit more clarity. The room note is nice, definitely a crowd pleaser. As expected, the rum adds a subtle spicy quality that I do enjoy. Altogether the flavor is reminiscent of Tobacco Galleria's Rum & Maple, however Maple Street has a lighter maple flavoring and more rum sweetness. Typically I don't care for liquor topped blends, but this is nicely done. It's also one of the better performing aromatics that I have experienced and it burns slow and easy.

Pipe Used: Cob

JustDanD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustDanD (9)

Others have described this better and my short review seems almost an insult to a good blend, but this all I have to say.

This tin was a freebie from a recent online purchase and I am glad it was. In the tin there is a smell of tobacco and maple.. but not the maple syrup kind of maple. It has a very nice aroma. It lit and burned well with the maple still there in the smoke. It is sweet, but not too much. I find it difficult to really describe the excperience with it but I find myself turning to it a few times a week. It is on the good side of aromatics and I am undecided if it will be a regular stock item or not.

colonel jpl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colonel jpl (21)

If you seek a great maple blend your search will end here. This is my everyday smoke. Smooth light maple flavor with a bit of rum. Burns clean great room note. Just a consistently Good smoke. Smokes cool great taste. Try it.

Pipe Used: larocca

Purchased From: smokingpipes

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (103)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is another HOW do over, all be it a better one! I do not smoke an over abundance of aromatic blends, and I must say that this one could make me change my preferences! I can honestly say that if I was limited to 2 Aromatics in my collection that this would be one of them. Solid tin note, easily packed, lights well, and smokes well. Solid flavor throughout the boy without the gunky residue from some blends of a similar nature. The room note, wonderful and last a good while as well. reminds me of maple syrup on pancakes with a side of buttered rum. Two wonderful aromas! If you are wanting to try a good aro with out the gunk and the bite, give this a try.

I get a little conflict here that puts me off this one. I'm not fond of the way the golden Virginia fits into this blend. It's flavor seems to be at war with the maple in the topping. It's probably a personal thing. Obviously, many people love this blend and that many taste buds can't all be wrong. I'll just pass on this one.

Mild in body. Mild to medium in flavoring and flavor. Burns well straight from the tin.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat 5th Ave, MM Mark Twain

Kraken Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraken (1)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

This is my first review - I appreciate everyone sharing and figured I would do my best to start posting. The most enjoyable part of the bowl is about 3/4 finished - so if you're trying this aromatic for the first time, don't give up on it until you are well into the smoke. To me it is worth the wait. The blend lights easy with not much to offer at first. The smoke is thick in the mouth - room note is nice and definitely smells like pancakes with maple syrup to anyone around. The taste remains very mild throughout and seems to burn hotter than other tobaccos in my cabinet. About 3/4 to the bottom of the bowl the full flavor seems to come together - the maple aroma and flavor with hints of rum is perfect to go along with cold days and a warm cup of coffee. I will keep a tin on hand, but this is an occasion smoke for me - not a daily.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A very good surprise this blend was. Does not have the traditionally chemical flavor Sutliff has (or had, thank god Altadis is out of the pipe tobacco business)

Anyhow, Maple Street is an excellent aromatic. I can very distinctly taste the maple (and I don't mean some vanilla or weird flavor, I mean MAPLE) and, unlike most rum blends out there, I can also taste the rum. Rum and maple is what I wanted and that's exactly what I got.

Additionally, this stuff burns slow and cool.

Did I mention I can taste the rum????

For those who enjoy aromatics (AROMATICS, I don't know what "aeromatics" are, I'm guessing it smells like pilot's cologne) then go ahead and try it.

Bent Dublin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bent Dublin (3)

I like this smoke. Drier than most maple rum blends so stays lit and is mild. Great taste with no bite and is not sticky sweet and leaves a great room note that leaves everyone happy. Can't go wrong if you want a mellow slightly sweet aromatic.

Pipe Used: Wiley Patina bent dublin large bowl

Age When Smoked: New tin

CapnStuby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CapnStuby (33)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This tobacco smells great in the can, but doesn't carry much of the rum and maple flavor into the smoke. It DOES smoke cool, doesn't foul up the bowl and is easy to light. The taste is mostly burley and there doesn't seem to be any Virginia that I can detect in the blend. It's not the BEST smoke, but it's a mild, everyday tobacco that doesn't offend others, burns well and has good value. I paid $3.99 for a 50g tin and that's about the right price point for it. It's better than the Captain Black series and MUCH better than the drugstore stuff that comes in the 1lb bags, but it's not going to win any awards.

Update: My tin might have sat on a shelf or baked in heat for awhile, driving out the flavor. With this in mind, I can't really give a true rating until I get a good sample of it. When I can, I will adjust the rating and update this review, accordingly.

Pipe Used: Brookfield quarter bent

Age When Smoked: fresh from sealed can

Purchased From: Local Tobacconist

Similar Blends: Captain Black White.

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (48)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I have been getting into aromatic blends lately and since my favorite season is right around the corner i decided something maple flavored was necessary. The smell of this stuff is truly fantastic. Im glad i can smell it while i smoke it. The flavor is not as strong as the room note but it still tastes great. Light maple taste and a light burly taste. It is great. Light up a bowl of this close your eyes and imagine your sitting on a bale of hay at a beautiful pumpkin patch. Don't it just take you back. I am going to try autumn evening next but i think maple aromatics and either heavy english or balkan blends are going to be my fall time smokes .

EastEndPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EastEndPipes (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

A wonderful aromatic that certainly lives up to its name. A pungent taste of maple lasts throughout the smoke. Burns very well right down to the bottom of the bowl with virtually no relights. Perfect moisture content right out of the tin and therefore I would not recommend any drying out measures. Can bite just a wee bit only if puffed aggrssively. In conclusion this blend is clearly one of my favorites and a mainstay in my rotation.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (65)

This is one of the better aromatics out there (this from someone who does not usually smoke aeros). It is not too moist out of the tin, lights/burns well and I found it flavorful and cool smoking. If you enjoy aromatics, this one should be in your rotation.

Fountainhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fountainhead (17)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a decent aromatic. It has no bite or "gunkiness" about it. The maple taste is crafted really well into the mixture and has a beautiful old-time maple syrup aroma. It has a very refined taste and smoking nature, unlike many aromatics I have smoked. I only smoke aromatics in my corn cob (I would also use a meerschaum if I owned one) which tends to tolerate some of the negative aspects of aromatics better than my briar pipes, so I tend to have pleasant experiences anyway. Like all aromatics though, the taste is bland, with a slight hint of the rum.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

Sut. Maple Street.. Tin aroma is sure enough, maple with a hint of alcohol. Moisture seemed OK, but a little airing out never hurts, so I gave it 10 minutes of full sunlight. Followed by fill up and a light tamp in a clean cob. Light up, and the first puffs went as normal, Pulling in those first few puffs, I remarked to myself, this stuff sure is mild, an understatement for sure. OK aroma, but nothing else, just a faint flavor of burley, and I mean faint. Many of my favorite smokes are mild, but they all have at least some taste. This one is just too weak for me, both in strength and flavor. Add to that, the after smoke mouth feel, is similar to how your mouth feels after drinking a strong hot tea, OK for tea, but out of place for tobacco. This combination just does not suit me at all. Maybe the above description is what you have been searching for, if that's the case, your search is over. For me, no more. Because, I may be alone in finding this stuff so odd, 2 stars. My personal rating 1 of 5

ecce_ego Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ecce_ego (22)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Like a previous reviewer, I found the smell on opening the tin to be quite bad. It was like taking a big whiff from a bottle of rum. I cannot stand the smell of alcohol, so I was prepared for a bad smoke, too. However, the taste really is nothing like the smell. There is a pleasant maple note with just a hint of rum. Room note is sweet without the overpowering smell of the tin. As for the aftertaste- it's not unpleasant, but I keep getting a familiar taste. Almost like pinon, but hard to describe.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

A fine aromatic with a marvelous maple room note and a similar maple taste with hints of rum in the background. It reminds me of Dunhill A-21000, with a woodsier taste and similar cut, smell and burning qualities.

1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1979 (62)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Sutliff - Maple Street

After a few years away, I picked up a can this past summer and recently popped 'er open.  Just like I remember it.

At the end of my review for Town Topic I indicated a preference for this blend.  Let me pick up there by saying that on Town Topic the tobacco base has little to no umph factor and the flavoring doesn't have much, at least for the smoker.  On Maple Street, the tobacco base has more zest, and the flavoring is richer, yet mostly overtakes the tobacco taste.  But Maple Street isn't without drawbacks of it's own, mainly that the flavoring can, and occasionally does have a slight chemical overtone, particularly if you chug it up.  This may be more the fault of the glycol than the flavoring itself.  Neither of these blends dry out willingly, and Maple Street tends to leave a bit more moisture at the heel than does Town Topic. Still, I'm going to give the edge to Maple Street.  But if you're looking for a good maple aromatic, check C&D's Autumn Evening.

kppeterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kppeterson (19)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Whatever is in these sticky Sutliff aromatics really irritates my tongue and throat. This is not something I can smoke passively or while I'm working outdoors because if I'm not super careful this stuff will literally scorch my tongue. While it's a bit sickeningly sweet the flavor is decent and the Virginia and Burly makes this a slightly better alternative to one of it's vanilla, black cavendish relatives. The smell in the pouch is very nice but the scent and flavor stay with you for quite a while which is really bad for me but maybe good for others. I've had this same pouch of tobacco for 8 to 10 years and it is still sticky and moist despite being left in dry condtions. Leaves the pipe slightly less funky that some other aromatics but funky all the same. Maybe step up from nasty old sticky vanilla black cavendsih and "Somewhat Recommended" to smokers of those types of blends. Absolutely "Not Recommend" to English or straight Virginia purist or anyone that has reactions to PG laden blends.

Pipe Used: Stanwell, CAO Meershcaum, Peterson

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 8 years

Similar Blends: Other Sutliff aromatics..

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (111)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Rum and maple are 2 flavors that add a lot to a good tobacco. The flavor in this blend is consistent and smooth and is a very good somke. No bit, smooth smoking, and tasty to the end of the bowl, this is a delight.

Idlehands Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Idlehands (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Bear with me as this is my first review. I am a new piper, 1-2 months old, so my experience level is quite low. I have been smoking a fist full of Aro's, many of which I really dislike, and Va/Burs, or Burleys with topping.

Now to Maple Street. I can detect the nuttiness of the burley, but not the virginias, and possibly it is hidden by the maple flavoring. I do detect the rum flavor also. Personnaly I haven't found a rum/whiskey flavored smoke that I really liked, until Maple Street! The maple is the predominate flavor along with the burley, and supported nicely by the rum.

I have finished my first tin, and have re-ordered. I do believe that at this point I have found a go-to Aro in Maple Street. Not overly sweet, not harsh, no bite and a good long lasting flavor to the bottom of the bowl. Good after taste follows a smoke. A keeper for me.

Idlehands.

Pipe Used: Cobs

Age When Smoked: fresh to 1 month

Purchased From: P & C

rushm1n3r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rushm1n3r (18)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I was scared this would taste like a McGriddle when I ordered it, but it it did not. I'm an aromatic lover, and I found the rum and maple casings to be well balanced with the natural flavors of the burley and Virginia tobaccos. Smooth, but smoked on the hot side.

Pipe Used: Briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

TwelveAMnTX Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TwelveAMnTX (28)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Sutliff Maple Street is a great tasting aromatic that I can smoke all day. I really like the maple flavor & the room note is great for non-smokers as well. I'm able to get a hint of rum every now & then, but it's not a big part of the flavor. It's nice change to smoke an aromatic that doesn't contain black cavendish. The burley & virginia tobaccos burn rather cool unless you get over zealous with your puffing. The maple taste lasts from start to finish & keeps me coming back for another bowl. It's great after breakfast or any time of the day when you want something sweet. It hits the spot, not too sweet, just the right amount maple goodness!

Pipe Used: MM cobs

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin to a month open

Similar Blends: Sutliff -Rum & Maple bulk.

Duke Nukum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke Nukum (13)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Although I have a strong preference for 'natural' styles, I had been wanting a sweet aromatic to try. I definitely wanted something with a Maple flavour and this seemed to fit the bill.

Opening the tin, there's a strong and sweet aroma of maple syrup, sugar, rum and vanilla that is about as subtle as a rhinocerous horn up the backisde.

The cut is a fine ribbon / shag and is very soft to the touch but moist and a little sticky. It packs very easily and although it seems moist, once lit it burns very well and doesn't go out easily. I tried one load in a M.M. '5-star general' pipe and it smoked on and on and on, only getting hard to keep lit in the last 5% of the bowl!

The flavour is as expected, sweet and mapley which is very obvious in the room note. This reminds me of some bulk 'nougat' flavoured blends as there's a hint of almond under the vanilla.

There is a little bite but this is more from the moisture in the mixture than the leaf itself and can thus be dealt with by slower smoking or a longer stem.I found it mild and relaxing, but despite the promised 'good nicotine hit' I got nothing. I suspect that my tolerance level must be higher than others, judging by the number of reviewers who made mention of it.

This is definitely a sweet, sticky and heavily aromatic tobacco that will permanently 'stain' a pipe so I used a brand-new M.M. Corncob now dedicated to this tin.

The one thing I found lacking was a definitive 'leafy' tobacco taste which would have made this a perfect Autumn seasonal smoke but otherwise it was exactly as expected and better burning than hoped.

Pipe Used: New Corncob

Giovanni Palomino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Giovanni Palomino (21)

It can smell is fantastic is very natural do not know the smell of Maple but smelled sweet nature and to ron, the mixture smokes hot so it must be experience in good smoking, at first able to get very good smoke with a phenomenal aroma but at the end of last cups flavor and aroma was not so pleasant at the beginning. Its strength is mild to medium that makes a pleasant and relaxing smoke note in the room is excellent my wife liked very much.

Pipe Used: Maple Hardwood Diplomat

Purchased From: 4noggings

Rhapsody Baccy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rhapsody Baccy (16)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Wandered into a random tobacco store in California and the ‘lesser of all evils’ was this blend- checked it our here on the boards and decided to go for it—I was travelling for business and my days were being consumed by long boring drives and I needed something new and interesting AND something that wouldn't stink up the… er… rental car.

It was an anachronistic choice for me for sure—in my pouch I was carrying EMP, London Mixture, and some Proper English—so this made little sense in that lineup.

Every day, in preparation for a two-hour drive I loaded two bowls of this in the morning in a MM Washington and for the next four days this became my morning and afternoon car smoke—and boy did I love it!

Again—I’m not an Aro-snob and consider Aromatics completely appropriate as part of a healthy line-up of Tobaccos. After a heavy meal of aged angus and classified Bordeaux to reach into one’s pouch and light-up a pipe of Cherrybomb is probably akin to sharting in church but as a morning smoke—fantastic! For those of you who smoke in your cars you know that it’s easy to over-puff and get some slashing tongue-bite as the pipe sits clenched in your teeth most of the time. Smoking EMP, for example, this way is not a whole lot of fun—the Orientals in the mix needing ample space (in terms of bowl) and time (in terms of cadence) to truly sing—and this is where baccy’s like Maple Street come in.

Nicely moist (I never dry out my baccy’s) dripping with that delicious but never heavy-handed aroma (and taste!) of maple, butter, and vanilla (oh yeah, and rum which is somewhere deep in there). The Virginias are a beautiful backdrop providing a light sweetness and fruit… ditto with the Burley which melts into the maple. The flavor most certainly comes through but only just enough to make you smile.

If you like Aromatics, or like me, see them as part of a varied and beautiful landscape, get some of this.

Is this age-worthy tobacco that begs for critical acclaim and perhaps long reflection… no.

Does it taste like pancakes and syrup? Yes… but that’s the whole darn point ain’t it?

RECCOMENDED FOR: Newbie and Aro-lover alike. Like to clench the pipe between your teeth and not let go until it’s all gone? This will smoke cool no matter how long you puff. Keepin it in the rotation.

Pipe Used: MM Various

Age When Smoked: Out of tin / new

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (39)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The longer I smoke a pipe the more I have come to prefer the old burley blends. Rum was always a staple in the casings of yesteryear and who doesn't love maple? I'd give this 4 out of 4 but for the slightly bitter aftertaste, which is normal of burley and even more normal of the casing. I don't want my last statement to put you off, there are definitely aromatics out there that are more bitter, goopier if you will, just be aware. I won't give you a fanciful description of every nuance or subtlety, this isn't that kind of girl. This is a tobacco you don't have to think much on. Its sweet, nutty, creamy, with a little rum and a lot of maple. IMO superior to the other popular maple tobaccos out there. I don't want it all the time, but I'm always happy after I finish a bowl.

Pipe Used: Nording Freehand, cobs

Similar Blends: C&Ds Autumn Evening.

dustoff56 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dustoff56 (10)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is the second of the Private stock to try. First was Taste of summer. When opening the can I smelt maple and pancakes. Cant find the rum.All in all its a fantastic blend.smooth, long lasting and super mellow. I could smoke this all day. As of right now this is my new go to smoke for summer time.

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (63)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Very good smoke. I tried Scotty's pancake and fell in love with the maple topping. Tried this as a variant interested in how the rum would work in the mix and it does well, a little too well. Maple street has more rum than maple, it's done well but I would prefer more maple than rum, just a personal thing. Handles and smokes like a champ, mild/med. chemistry, everyone should try a bowl or two. My next maple will be autumn evening, possibly cutting it with PA. I love the pipe.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 0-2 months

Cumarinophil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cumarinophil (105)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Sutliff Maple Street is a mild, Burley based aromatic. I found it to be very malty, creamy and slightly sweet, but not nearly as sweet as expected from the intense tin note. Exhaling through the nose came with a subtle alcoholic impression.

It burns easy and does therefore produce some condensate in the second half of the bowl. No bite, fantastic room note.

A strong recommendation for lovers of that type of flavor, it might just be the best Rum & Maple interpretation out there.

Pipe Used: Various with and without filter

Age When Smoked: fresh to 1yr

mmjk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mmjk (4)
Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

Man ‘O man, Maple Street by Sutliff Tobacco Company is a fine Aromatic.

Once you pop the tin you get a delicious wiff of the Maple topping followed by sweet rum.

This was perfect for smoking straight from the tin with no drying time. Over time in the tin the aroma changed to almost a chocolate cake.

This is a smooth smoke and I have to agree with another reviewer that the topping adds extra sweetness to the golden Virginia’s used, while the white Burley gives it some teeth that most aromatics don’t have. Maple Street is a full bodied Aro.

I really enjoyed this one, it’s has a smooth sweet flavor and the side-stream smoke is wonderful. It smokes cool and was best enjoyed by taking small sips and letting the smoke rise to your nose.

If you like aromatics do yourself a favor and pick this one up. I’m going to make sure I always have this one around.

I’d also recommend this one to the non aromatic guys who like a sweet and full smoke.

This is a 3 and a half star blend in my opinion.

luvinthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
luvinthepipe (28)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I got this as a 1.5 oz sample tin about 5 years ago. Free. Free is good but I did not expect much from free tobacco so I put it in my cellar and forgot about it. I pulled this out last summer looking for something to satisfy a tobacco sweet tooth which I had never experienced before. I found this, one of only 3 Aromatics in my cellar and expected bad tobacco. I was in for a HUGE surprise. I love the sweet taste, love the now aged virginias, love the way it smokes and stays lit and just love the maple pancake aroma it leaves behind. I need to buy more! Tobacco is high quality, it ages remarkably well, soft and moist but not goopy. Any bitterness others find is likely due to it being young when smoked. Age this, let it dry with top off a few days and WOW! Every bowl I smoke, no matter what pipe it is in, tastes fantastic and I wish I had more tins 5 years aged.

=update - After trying a couple more aromatics, I find this tobacco even more wonderful. Real tobacco taste. I will have to buy a big tin or two. =

Pipe Used: Hardcastle and others

Age When Smoked: 4 - 5 years

Purchased From: Free Sample

Ndfmcfc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ndfmcfc (5)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I purchased this tobacco because I was so pleased with my first Sutcliff, which was the Molto Dolce. In looking at the description and reviews I thought I would give it a go. On opening the tin, I was delighted with the strong and sweet aroma. I had heard about the room note that was like smoked pancakes, so I was very much looking forward to it. the problem was that i used it on a virgin pipe that had no seasoning, so I am wondering if that might have had a negative effect. I noticed an immediate bite that I never got with the MD, and it was very difficult to keep alight. I definitely got some smokey pancake taste and room note, and my assumption was that it was the maple casing that gave me the thought of these pancakes. However, through it al, the bite was definitely there to be felt.

My first impression was to give it a 2 rating, but I decided to wait until my second smoke to rate it. For the second smoke I used a more seasoned pipe, and I definitely got a more satisfying smoke. This time it stayed alight longer and I only needed a couple of relights. I was more satisfied this time round, so I will give a three instead of a two. However, I will reorder my MD before reordering this one.

The Conde Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Conde (17)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Very Strong

I really like this blend, but it is a little too sweet. It isn't as wet as I thought it was going to be. Room note is very strong, people walking by outside commented that it smells like pancakes. This blend is one of my favorite aromatics but may be too sweet for others.

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

After reading the reviews here, I was anxious to try this blend, so I ordered a couple of tins to try. Smelled nice enough upon opening the tin. But that was about it. Not all that tasty really, and it smokes hot. An overpriced disappointment in a pretty package.