Cherry Bomb uses some of the finest flue cured Virginias and steamed black cavendish tobaccos and enhances them with excellent notes of tangy cherry and silky vanilla for wonderful flavor and aroma.

BrandCAO

2.5
Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)
Medium Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Now I will start explaining why I gave this 4 stars I am not a fan of cherry blends they smoke to hot and usually give me a headache. But this is the best Cherry blend I ever smoked/ But let it sit after opening. I picked it up on sale. The name caught my eye. So I tried it one day while running low oin my other blends. The first time i didnt like it at all. So it sat about three months in the tin. So with the price of tobacco today I didnt toss it. So I gasvr it another try. Not bad at all. If you know how to smoke it nice and easy it is really enjoyable. It has a good Nicotine level and as far as strenght it is a full black canvendish very smokey. I will surley pick up a few more tins. It is a departure from my main blend Old Dog & London MIxture.

DaBadMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaBadMan (5)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Two words; Cherry & Bomb. The "Cherry" stands for harsh chemical and the "Bomb" stands for Fail.

In the tin this smells great. In the pipe however it's a different story. This blend lights easily and smokes consistently to a fine ash although I wished that it had never lit at all. I tried this blend several times in several pipes both self made and store bought, from block meerschaum to briar to mulberry and all with the same result. Cherry Bomb tasted strongly of a nice vanilla on the char. After only a few puffs the cherry kicked in. It was a horrible cacophony of chemical flavors. It was almost as bad as moontrance mixed with bulk vanilla. Even when smoking cautiously this blend will bite.

There is an upside to this blend. The room note is delicious and draws compliments from smokers and non smokers alike. Also Cherry Bomb blends very nicely with bulk vanilla. 1oz Cherry Bomb to 1lbs vanilla smokes much more nicely, no trace of the chemical cherry taste and it's bite is reduced to naught.

Pipe Used: briar, meerschaum, cherry, apple, mulberry, morta

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: CAO - Moontrance.

colonel jpl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colonel jpl (21)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

New and right out of the tin the tobacco lit easy and smoked down to a white ash. I was surprised. Maybe two relights and I finished a bowl. Taste is sweet but not overbearing and the room note is great. Go easy with this or it will bite you. Overall it's a good cherry blend to smoke now and then not every day for me.

Pipe Used: various

Purchased From: smoking pipes

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (55)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

People seem to fall on either side of the fence with this one. Either it is a lovely aromatic with good burning characteristics or it is more of what makes aromatics notorious. My experience was that it had no flavoring at all. Tasted like plain tobacco. Sure it has good burn characteristics. But without the advertised flavor, what's the point? Why not just get a blend that is advertised as a non-aromatic? And with a name like cherry bomb, I really expected a very pronounced cherry flavor. What a tremendous let-down. Not recommended.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Well folks I like this one 4 stars,,,, and why you might ask? Well its a solid well flavored cherry aromatic. The black cavendish is of the best quality too which makes all this possible. CAO knows how to choose a base tobacco for their full cherry topping. There can be vanilla undertones at times which is simply wonderful. This one has also smoked better and better as the tin empties and the remaining tobacco becomes more dry. I have always enjoyed aromatics as well as some English and straight VA blends, and this one will be in my rotation from now on. It may be one of the best aromatics I have ever tried. I am now excited to try the other CAO blends and plan to order a tin of each of them soon.. Cheers All..... !!! :)

Pipe Used: Peterson Christmas 2016 Full Bent

Age When Smoked: New tin, drying a little

Similar Blends: None I've tried.. But it's a good one,, :).

BuckW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BuckW (4)
Very Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I purchased this as in a package. If you like aromatics and cherries this is the one for you! Cherry Bomb is one of my favorites!

Pipe Used: Corn cob

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: Cigar International

Selly501USA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Selly501USA (8)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Vanilla splashed with Maraschino Cherry

This tobacco gets an unfair shake because of it's misleading name: it's not a cherry-flavored tobacco in the main, rather, it's vanilla with a hint of cherry.

If you're after a nice vanilla, this one should definitely be on your list to sample. It's a rich tasting top-shelf dark Cavendish tobacco blend, first and foremost, with the occasional hint of unsweetened vanilla sweet maraschino appearing in the background. I think the cherry note gives it a little more dimension than other, more straight-ahead vanilla blends. A fun, good-time tobacco to have on hand for those who enjoy the flavor of good tobacco unencumbered by heavy flavored casings but packing a solid, rich room note. Hopefully for you a very pleasant departure from the usual vanilla blends. Thank you for your time.

Pipe Used: MM General Filtered

Age When Smoked: 1 - 4 months

Similar Blends: CAO Bella Vanilla, Mac Baren Vanilla Creme Loose Cut, McClelland M-27 Three Cherry Blend.

SkySoldier Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SkySoldier (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Tolerable

Cherrybomb is a pipe tobacco I noticed many people were harsh towards in their criticism. In fairness to this tobacco I decided to try it, after all in a world where everybody is a critic it's best to try things for yourself right? Well... this is one instance where the critics were right. Cherrybomb has a weird smell to it, it smells very faintly of a weird cherry and vanilla flavouring that does not smell good or compliment the tobacco. But hey, don't knock it until you try it right? Cherrybomb burns very quickly and has the same weird taste you get from the tin. Honestly I feel like this blend tries too hard to be a nice versatile blend of cherry and vanilla but fails at both. In the end I gave this one away. Try at your own leisure.

Pipe Used: IMP Meerschaum

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

CAO - Cherry Bomb.

This one perplexed me. With a name like Cherry Bomb I'd expected a one sided smoke of insuppressible cherries. That couldn't be further from the truth.

The ribbons are jet black and the first giveaway that this wasn't to be what the name implied was the aroma. It smells like a simple vanilla cavendish. It's a little damp, but nothing that impaired imminent smoking.

Now, I'm confused as to whether the weight of flavour varies tin to tin. Some reviews say it's strongly flavoured with cherry, yet others not so much. Well, my tin lacks any cherry flavour, but has a straightforward vanilla Cavendish one. So maybe Vanilla Bomb would be a more apt name! I like it but it's not what I asked for. The aromatic smoke I get is pleasant enough, albeit it's like any other sticky vanilla aromatic out there. The burn from it's quite slow, the temperature's cool, and it doesn't bite.

Nicotine: very mild. Room-note: pleasant; pleasant, but there's no cherries!

If this was called Vanilla Bomb I'd rate it well, but for the fact it's nothing like it's billed as being I'll give it two stars:

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Chacom Atlas

Age When Smoked: One month

Burnesy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Burnesy (4)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I had high hopes for this mixture. I generally like CAO offerings and I generally love Cherry-flavored tobaccos.

The tin note on Cherrybomb is odd. It doesn't smell of cherry or vanilla as much as much as it smells of harsh chemicals.

Happily, it doesn't taste like it smells. Unhappily, it doesn't taste like much of anything at all.

I think I'll stick with Cult's Blood Red Moon and Tewkesbury's Hobbit's Weed for my go-to Cherry Tobacco.

2016-03-05: I have pushed this jar to the back of my drawer for a couple months and tried it again. No change.

Pipe Used: Mr. Brog #14 Churchwarden

Purchased From: P&C Website

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (66)

Good cherry flavor, burns well. This one will actually dry out of left open unlike many aromatics, so be careful. I tried a lot of cherry blends this year and this is one of the contenders. Not the top, but very good

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: new tin

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (106)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Today I opened up a year old tin of cherry bomb. I am not a cherry fan. It was free. I always take it when it's free and try it. I had three tins. This is the third I have now smoked. I opened it at 7am. Smoked it at 1pm. Packed in light with half a pipe bowl. Lit it. Char was quick. Relight worked well. Flavor is heavily sprinkled in. Smoked it slow. Drank water and finished after 20 minutes. It had flavor of cherry. Very light. Smelled more than tasted. Folks next door came over to see what I was smoking. Loaded up two more bowls during the day. Put the rest in a jar to mix with something. Was ok. But had a strong chemical taste with it. . Smoked a little wet at the end. Same for all 3 tins. Might revisit in a month or two.

Pipe Used: KBB, Kopp,

Age When Smoked: Tin - 1 year old

Purchased From: Mannheim Germany

King T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King T (9)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I like cherry blends but I definitely need to be in the mood for them. Cherry Bomb is no different. If I feel like it I'll smoke it. This may occur as much as once a week to once every two months.

Now to the Cherry Bomb. Opening the tin and smelling reminds me of the cherry car air freshener from the 90's. You know, the one they sell at the car ash next to the register. The tobacco is pretty moist and I'd say requires some drying time. But I packed some right away and lit it. The tobacco did cause my fingers to smell pretty good as it wssasather moist. And because it was moist it was a little more difficult to light And keep lit. It did burn hot. And I know it would have bitten if I smoked it quickly. Thankfully by now I know how to avoid being bitten. The blend tasted fine. Not much actual tobacco flavor. As for cherry flavor it tadted best smorking. Now after I smoked it a few times wet I decided to change the way of doing this. I took some out of tne tin to dry for a couple hours. This made a huge difference. Smoked better, cooler, smoother, maybe three relights and over all much more enjoyable. And finally a few more times I let this blend dry for at least 1.5 hourson up to 8 hours when I was si track ed on errands and house side projects. But every time I let it dry some made the blend taste better, and smoke better. A slow sip with a snork out the nose at a snails pace really brings out intricate flavors. The cherry is obviously tasted. Like a cherry powder cool aid. But very light, yet plasant. I even detect some sweet citrus and almost apricot notes. But only these notes with a very slow snork. When concluded I did have a wet heel in my pipe. A pipe cleaner inserted did the trick. It ashed fine. And I'd say about half the time there were a few flakes towads the bottom that never reached their destiny in burning. And all in all to me this blend is a 3.2 to me. So I gave it a 4 star as it's more deserving than the low score that's currently posted.

Pipe Used: various

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (82)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Cherry Tobacco's take me back to my childhood, my dad smoked Cherry exclusively. I tried his favorites - Middleton and Paladin which only left me wondering why my dad choose these to smoke. I ventured out and started looking for something else. BOOM! I found Cherry Bomb. A room note reminiscent of my childhood in a tobacco that doesn't bite with a mild taste. smoked the bowl to the bottom with 1 relight and no bitter taste at the end. I am going to have to order more of this!

Purchased From: pipes and cigars.com

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (36)

Because I prefer non aromatics, I was a bit reluctant to try this tobacco at first. The name "Cherry Bomb" implied a hot blast of cherry flavoring that would leave me with chemical after taste and a headache. I was dead wrong. Cherry bomb is pleasantly sweet and medium to full bodied. Most importantly, my wife loves the aroma. The tin note is impressive and smells of chocolate covered cherries.

Pipe Used: Jobey Billard

Age When Smoked: 2 weeks

gentleanachronism Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gentleanachronism (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

If you are looking for a strong aromatic to smoke in mixed company, this is the one for you. Once you open the tin you are hit with a wave of cherry and black licorice scents. I couldn't really taste anything special as I smoked it. The room note was wonderful, but powerful. My wife had insisted that I should by a tin (after her mother had regaled her with stories of my father in law smoking cherry blends) but has since confessed that the cherry note was too powerful and lingered far to long for her pleasure. I'm back to smoking my usual blends now, but I would recommend Cherry bomb to anyone looking for a strong aro.

Pipe Used: bent billiard

Purchased From: the Nostalgia Shop; Columbia, Missouri

mightysmurf8201 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mightysmurf8201 (24)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

I have been searching for a good cherry blend, and I came upon this one at my local b&m and thought I would give it a shot. After all, CAO makes an excellent cigar. I was actually pretty disappointed with this blend. The tin smelled pretty good, a bit of cherry, but I got a lot of vanilla aroma from it. It was a bit on the dry side. First smoke was rather un-enjoyable. The only flavor I got was vanilla and I had a hard time keeping it lit. I thought I would try it in a different briar, but I ended up getting similar results. Not sure if I'll slowly smoke my way through the remainder of the tin, or just give it away. I'm sure there's people out there that like this, but I won't be buying it again.

Scupbucket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scupbucket (10)
Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

CAO Cherry Bomb has a super sweet cherry flavor and the room note is fantastic. Being one of my first cherry blends, I was happy to find it actually tastes like cherries. A bit moist right out of the tin but after and hour of dry time it's good to go. It starts off with a desserty sweetness with a very subtle hint of the vanilla. I noticed the sweetness eases off to a more smokey flavor at the half bowl point but was happy to find the cherry flavoring still stuck around. My beard smelled amazing for the rest of the day! Burned a bit on the hot side but no bite.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 8

After Taste = 8

Raw Score = 48

Rated Percentage = 80%

Comment = Smooth, Mild, big Cherry flavor but no vanilla Flavor, bitter at the end of the bowl

The Conde Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Conde (17)

I thought it was a little ironic that a blend named cherry bomb would taste more vanilla than cherry. Smokes on the mild side, room note is nice, non-smokers commented that it smelled good even outside in the wind where I have to smoke. One of my first tobaccos and suitable for a beginner but not much cherry.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Very Mild Very Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

Smoking Cherry Bomb was one of the worst pipesmoking experiences I've had. Lots of chemicals, was like smoking a urinal cake.

After a couple bowls, threw the rest out.

If you're looking for a cherry blend, try Boswell's Pennsylvania Dutch Treat.

Not recommended.

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (67)
Very Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

If you were a beginner and had not smoked a variety of tobaccos, you might pick this up and think that you had found something fantastic. It has a wonderful, rich tin aroma, and the room note is very nice. It looks pretty, and is not as funky (as in the existence of a chemical smell, and goopy use of humectants) as some other black cavendish blends. I find the vanilla is more noticeable in the tin aroma than the the taste or room note.

Where it falls apart is the smoking qualities, and this is where I think people are (or should) keep looking. It requires a lot of drying out, and this by itself is not a big deal. Even when pretty dry, however, this is still difficult to get going and keep burning without a lot of puffing, which of course heats things up. While the room note is rich and pleasant, the taste is pretty mild, and the cherry is nowhere near as noticeable on the tongue. It will bite with strong puffing, and sipping just does not keep this one going. This, and the need for regular fiddling and relights detracts from a relaxing and pleasant experience. If you are looking for a cherry aromatic, the Boswell cherry flavored mixtures offer much better smoking characteristics and richer, more well rounded flavors. If you really want to take the training wheels off and smoke a good berry aromatic that also tastes and smokes like a "man's" blend, then try Sillem's Red, a wonderful broken flake aromatic.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (107)

This is a good cherry blend . For all the ragging people do about hot cherry blends or chemical etc.. It's black , it dosent bite , it's not hot and burns fine for me . The cherryflavor isnt a natural cherry flavor and it isnt the flavor of those red cherries that are icecream toppings ... somewhere in between . I think they were smart . If youre only gonna make one cherry blend as a manufacturer ... they met in the middle .If yer looking for a super sweet " fake" cherry flavor then theres a ton out there .I've found this blend to be fantastic for blending . The flavor of the CAO cherry is up front and the room note is .. cherry . Btw , this is in no way a vanilla blend with a touch of cherry ... just sayin

lonefrog615 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lonefrog615 (4)

This tobacco reminded me of a typical american youth. Basically a good kid but behavior is a problem.

The biggest drawback for me was the poor burning qualities. The cherry flavor was nice and the aroma in the room was excellent but the tendency of the tobacco to go out and the difficulty in getting a good pack with this one turned me off.

Will I put it away and never smoke it again? No. I'll definitely be trying this one again. Is it likely to be a tobacco I buy regularly? Also no. I enjoy the better burning qualities of other cherry aromatics I have tried over this one.

2 stars.