This unique blend astounds with its dominant yet still subtle fruity notes. The base is an equally complex mixture of Burley, Virginia, Latakia, Perique and Flake.

Notes: Perfect for fans of Revelation.

Blended BySutliff Tobacco Company
Blend TypeBurley Based
Contents Burley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Packagingsealed reinforced cardboard can
Strength
Very Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste
2.2

This is meant to be Sutliff's version of Revelation before House of Windsor got their hands on it. The HoW version left me with a bad impression all the way around. This is a vast improvement. The medium brown Virginia has a mildly natural sweetness. The burley sports some earthy points, plus a light tangy nuttiness from the burley. The perique is very lightly added for a hint of spice. The latakia brings very mild smokey, woody bass notes to give this mixture a slight flavor push. This is a well rounded, medium tasting blend for the all day smoker who wants a decent nic hit with a lot going for it.

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (59)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Sutliff Private Stock R-Blend

Burley, Virginian, Latakia, Perique and Flake

Tin Notes: Various cuts of tobacco with nice color, all leaf not roughage, The tobacco has good moisture content right out of the can. The Aroma is slightly sweet with a little pungent twist and an ever so light smokey smell

Smoking: R Blend has an overall good flavor profile. Even though i thought the content percentages of the latakia and perique is small they both add enough of a slight kick to the VA/Bur blend to make it and interesting and enjoyable smoke. The tobaccos burn well in any type of pipe. Straight out of a new production tin - the tobacco has a slight hint of new or green tobacco, I think this blend will age nicely over time

Room Note: Fair

My 5 Star Rating = 3

Pipe Used: Corn Cob, Pipestone, Clay

Purchased From: sutliff

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Flavor starts out muddled. Don't get much of a fruity note - more the flavor of typical Sutliff vanilla/rum topping, which mutes other flavors. Once this flavoring dies out a bit, reasonable tobacco flavors emerge, but remain muddled. This continues through the majority of the bowl. Hard to pick out anything that wins or places, but some nutty Burley shows. 2-.

Pipe Used: Grabow Freehand, MM

Age When Smoked: Unknown; at least 3 months.

Purchased From: CI

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Another free sample from an internet buddy. This is supposed to be like House of Windsor's Revelation. It certainly looked and smelled in the bag like it. There were some similarities in the smoking - enough so that I could tell it was a gallant effort. The fruity topping was there but not overbearing. The other tobaccos blended together fairly well and each was individually noticeable. The perique was a bit more present in this one.

Once again, the dangers of blend cloning appear. Revelation had a "signature" that's just not present in this one. As with their Barking Dog match, the flavor in this one just didn't live up to the HoW version. It just seemed contrived here, while Revelation is more natural and unpretentious. More harmonious. This one smoked hotter as well. It didn't bite but the temperature just seemed elevated. Once again, in head-to-head competition, the HoW wins by a landslide. But I don't think that's a product of HoW being "better" than Sutliff. I think it's more that if one is used to the original, usually a copy doesn't suffice. I applaud Sutliff's attempt to bring back out of production blends but they may want to just stick to making their own originals. This is not a bad blend, but it doesn't stack up to Revelation.

CochenBallstein Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CochenBallstein (10)

Recently picked up a tin of this gathering dust on a shelf in a local B&M cigar shop. I was shocked at one of the previous reviews that suggested there wasn't much Perique to really be noticed. Maybe I got all the Perique in my tin! I have a low tolerance for Perique as it wreaks havoc with my sinuses, so take that into consideration with this review, but even so, this was over the top, IMHO. Too hot to get much real tobacco flavor. I could tell this wasn't high quality tobacco, and I didn't really expect it to be, but with the complete dominance of Perique I can only recommend this blend to those who LOVE Perique.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This seems to burn a bit on the hot side, but not by much but just enough to keep this from 4 stars. A nice well-balanced everyday blend, with no one component standing out.

There wasn't any fruit/citrus topping that I detected, there was just enough Lat to be noticed once in a while, and those who have never smoked a VAPer wouldn't notice the Perique.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)

The tin reads "MILD and MELLOW", and that is exactly what it is. The flavors of the various components are there, but this is a mild/medium blend. Not a bad entry in a crowded field.

This seems to me as the "Mild and Mellow" version of Sutliff CD Blend (Country Doctor - same components), which is a stronger tastier blend.

So read the comments below, all are correct.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The Burley came through clearly with a hint of Virginia in the background. Perique? Latakia? Where was that?

I liked the strength of R-Blend, but it smoked a little harsh. The topping added provided a subtle, sweet splash that was enjoyable the first half of the bowl, but disapeard on me toward the last half of the smoke.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Thought I'd try some of this being a big fan of Revelation (the now departed HOW incarnation). I didn't expect it to be a "replacement" and, IMHO it isn't. I agree that after popping the top on this stuff it looks and smells a lot like burley. It loads and lights easily enough. It offers a nice smoke, not what you'd call remarkable. It's the basic burley flavor with the latakia and perique there in the backround. No harshness or tongue bite. Similar to what I recall of Revelation but not as much "oomph". I've enjoyed the stuff and can't find anything negative to say. But there are a number of similar mixtures around that are as good or better. Will finish my tin and then move on.

clovis-man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clovis-man (2)

Upon popping open the tin, the aroma said to me in no uncertain terms: "Burley". A very light colored mixture, any latakia or perique was well hidden. The cut could marginally be described as "coarse-cut", but contained quite a bit of small pieces. I tried this blend in one of my old reliable pipes: A 40+ year old Brebbia that agrees with most any blend.

The tin aroma was well reflected in the flavor, which had that slightly nutty burley taste. But other flavors were indistinct and did not come forward as I went down the bowl. It smoked a little hot, but not alarmingly so. No real tongue bite.

In short this is an inoffensive blend, perhaps suited for those who just want a tobacco with no dominant overtones. But not one I would reach for again.

Elkabong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elkabong (11)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Hot. Tastes like grass. No detectable latakia. Apparently there is a consistency problem with this manufacturer. Four bowls from the tin and I tossed it in the trash.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (60)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

I may be mistaken, but this blend is topped with...something... and, in combination with tongue bite, cements this product in a 2-star rating. My impression is that Sutliffe/Altadis over-blended this one, throwing in too much of everything except Latakia. Not much of a Latakia presence, to say the least. The ad blurb calls this "an equally complex mixture..." that I can only describe as a mish-mosh that results in an unappealing smoking experience.

RoadRunner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RoadRunner (1)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

I tried this blend rather out of curiosity then conviction. Sutlif R-Blend most likely was made for those who like smoky and salty flavour in their pipes. There is a combination of Burley, Virginia, Latakia and Perique, yet Latakia takes over and leaves aftertaste. It was fun the first time, and I notices strong nicotine content which is just fine and I liked it, but then on the third time I realized that it eventually does smell and tastes like burned tire that just run over a fruitcake. Some people will love it, some will hate it. Now, how do you figure your reaction to R-Blend is up to you, because it is very personal feel and touch. I am certain Sutliff made the R-Blend with the thought of addressing particular audience but I know it is not me since I like my tobacco to taste like tobacco I can identify and enjoy. The Perique taste is there and lots of it, the strength is there also, but after novelty started to wear out, I put the rest of it in the shed to have it ready to make strong bug spray for the trees in the spring. This blend comes a bit dry from the paper can, burns rather hot, very little bite, makes fine dark gray ash, does not clog pipe, will blend well with your barbeque and will make your woman kick you out on the porch. I also believe for the money I can do way better with Mac Barren Latakia based blends that simply have more logical proportions. I post Sutliff R-Blend as Somewhat Recommended because I know that few people out there will love it. Got to try anything at least once, don't we?