Sweet red and bright Virginias, fragrant orientals, a bit of rich Cyprus Latakia, and just a pinch of Perique. The leaf is blended in layers, briefly pressed, then sliced and tumbled into ribbons. Lively and engaging, with a subtle fruitiness, and an elegant, creamy texture, it's a great bowl to accompany the morning cup.

Notes: Chelsea Morning was introduced in October, 2009.

BrandG. L. Pease
4noggins.com
Strength
Taste

3.4

This blend has the distinction of being the finest pipe tobacco blend to miss my rotation, an "honor" once reserved for GLP Abingdon. They both qualify for essentially the same reasons.

After falling heavily for the other two blends in this series, I decided to give this one a spin. This one has twice the complexity of the other two combined. Not just in one bowl but from bowl to bowl, this one showed many different faces. If there are any pipesmokers that listen to a lot of Iannis Xenakis' music (besides myself), you'll understand the complexity factor. And yet a lot of it seemed randon, like it showed whatever face it felt like at the times it felt like showing it. As a result, this is one of more intriguing blends I've ever smoked, the same as with Abingdon. Smokers of heavy latakia blends should try that one, just as those who favor a lighter hand should absolutely try this one. This one is everything that Dunhill EMP promised but failed to deliver. IMHO, this blend fills the "early morning" niche ten times better than the venerable Dunhill. No limp wrists here.

So why did this not make my rotation? Well, whereas I can't give this one enough respect as what I refer to as a "genius blend", my heart overrules my head in matters of subjectivity such as taste. I simply didn't find enough punch to this one. It should be noted that I rarely smoke before noon. By that time, Quiet Nights is calling - or Meridian. But if those two are too much for you and you prefer a milder taste but still fulfilling, and you enjoy complexity to the Nth degree, you absolutely HAVE to smoke this. It's a must. Instead of Dark Lord, I'm going to refer to Greg Pease as the Thinking Man's Blender. His blends are often puzzling, sometimes confounding, but all of them are worth a serious audition. The rewards will be plentiful.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

A delightful combination of tobaccos that work to perfection! Chelsea Morning is one of those rare blends that is not too strong yet pours waves of flavor over the palate. The tin note is that of stewed prunes and slight hints of Latakia. At the match the leaf delivers volumes of thick, rich and creamy smoke and stays lit well.

I want to say that Chelsea Morning was a bit like smoking Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe with an added Perique taste, but frankly, this one is stronger in taste. Near the bottom of the bowl the Perique is more evident.

I can see where this one will be enjoyed by the masses with few detractors. It simply has a little something in it for everyone (well, almost everyone).

Riff Raff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Riff Raff (2)

Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe was my go to morning bowl. Was. Now Chelsea Morning fills that place on the roster. This tobacco is perfect for starting the day. It has notes of mild spice and a wonderful creamy smoke. About midway through the bowl, a toasty nuttiness emerges and completely compliments a nice hot cup of coffee.

This tobacco is best enjoyed by smoking it slowly. This blend is made for lazy morings. I am just thankful that I have a long commute so I can fully appreciate the nuances of this blend.

Pipe Used: Bob White Billiard, Mastro De Paja Bent Apple

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (41)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The first time I tried Chelsea Morning I was outdoors and it was windy, and I was in an agitated state of mind. I puffed way too hard and wrecked my mouth in short order, wound up clearing my throbbing palate with a bowl of Astley's 109! My next experience with the CM was much better, and the more I've smoked it since, the better I like it. If I have the time, this stuff really scratches my tobacco itch.

IMO, CM might be a natural choice for medium English smokers curious about the "GLP Mystique". CM almost fits an English profile, after all, to which it tastefully adds a few GLP bells and whistles. The deep-but-still-piquant tin note tells a lot, since the smoke follows suit, except the Latakia, although prominent in the tin, fades softly (but never departs) behind the Orientals and the Perique when CM is smoked, while the VAs run the show. If one takes one's time, there are overtones galore, and a few undertones, as well. Subtle incense and exotic spices abound, but never at the cost of the first quality tobaccos. The range of VAs is perfect for this blend, providing and enhancing both the upper and the lower "registers", with just the right balance of sweet, sour and spicy from the lot. I prefer to dry it just a little, to best realize its complexity. The soft, lingering aftertaste is aftermath, only sweeter. Pushed, CM can bite, for sure, so don't push it. All the same, with experience you can get to the point where you can summon more flavor with longer pulls without penalty. Strength is medium, and flavors can range from medium toward full.

There are plenty of good reasons why so many (including moi) have named Chelsea Morning as a favorite.

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: young and old

Purchased From: Liberty Tobaccos

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (130)

A mixture that could be smoked all day, an English that borders on the Balkan as the Orientals are very present. I like the creamy, slightly sweet and sour notes that are accompanied by a woodsy taste. The Perique picks up as the bowl progresses with more peppery accents. Overall a symphony of flavors, that is never in your face and never dull either.

Crookshanks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Crookshanks (3)

In the interest of full disclosure: I am in general am a fan of GL Pease, and his blends, and I was very excited for this new series, but I can honestly say, this blend is a true marvel. It exceeded my expectations, and showed me new things to be excited over that I hadn't even considered. I will do my best to quantify my reasons for such praise.

The aroma upon opening the tin, I think, is an experience very familiar to humans, but somewhat alien to pipe smokers. It has the character, and presents to the senses as food, more than construction. The familiar tobacco scents are indeed the components of the aroma, but, not in their usual voices. They are more unified and conformed than when they usually speak. Much like a stew, it no longer smells like each ingredients, though they are its composition, it smells like stew. That said, this is a delicious smelling stew of tobacco. It's almost shocking at first. Its savory, peppery, and a little sweet. The moisture level really worked for me, and i didn't need to let it air out at all.

The next thing you'll notice is the cut. It presents in long even strips that link, and fold in a way that really packs easily, and seems to facilitate a constant, and even burn. I am happy to report that Chelsea Morning gave me my first ever "one light burns to ash at the heel" experience. It just puffed on and on, with no threat of overheating, biting, or smoldering out.

I think perhaps that both the special type of aroma and cut are due to the new process. I hate to assume, or suppose on these matters on which i am uninitiated, but I suspect the new process unified the cut, flavors, and aromas so that they harmonize the way they do-which is in a way I have never experienced in tobacciana.

And once you light this new strange friend, you see, taste, and smell the effect of those new presentations of form. Many blends have the feeling of an orchestra, or a large festival chorus. You get a large number of people for the large sound, and add as many altos as you need to have them heard with the sopranos, and after tinkering with the numbers, you have a big, full chorus, with a big four-part sound. This blend is like the smaller Hilliard Ensemble singing Renaissance motets. The voices are so tuned with each other, so unified that their voices blend like the sound of one instrument, singing chords so tightly tuned you can not hear the individual voices, only let the tones blanket over you in their perfect weave. Its as though the Latakia "listens" to the Virginia and adjusted its volume to bring out the frequency marriage to make their harmony really zing. The perique hears the lower tones of the orientals and sings with a covered tone as to not clang against it, but stay in the pocket and make the chord grind, and thrill.

The taste? Well, it is hard to describe really in concrete terms. It's buttery, and nutty, and zesty...and also not. It is what it is. It doesn't taste "like" anything, to me. It is almost as if its separate properties have their own characteristics. Its taste is wet, but its mouth-feel is dry. I'd say, maybe dried figs, and citrus come to mind. But, truly, it has a taste all its own. This blend will "bowl you over" (wink) not with its tidal wave of taste, as it was not intended to, but rather with its ontology. You will marvel at its very nature of being, and at the success of its incarnation. The taste itself is perfectly pleasing, surprising, and a truly delicious breakfast.

Everyone reacts differently to new things, and I think this is no exception. I have always been something of a smoking omnivore. I smoked cigarettes for years, then moved on to cigars, and then added pipes. This is a blend that reaches across all those smokes, and takes their best parts, and sings a whole new fusion. It has a piece of all of them, the slighter, and slimmer taste character of a cigarette (a stretch of a comparison-it doesn't taste LIKE a cigarette); the consistent draw and burn of a cigar, and the variable volume draw, developed flavor and savory plot line of a artisan pipe full.

So, I could imagine there there might be some who have no long-term use for this blend, as they will miss its finer points-much in the same way I can imagine that a Metallica roadie might not enjoy Palestrina. The types that want ONLY to have their senses be overwhelmed by a heavy-fisted blend, would come away from this blend let down. There is of course nothing wrong with huge overwhelming blends, and I don't at all mean to suggest they they are only for the unrefined. Heck, all my other favorites are big sluggers for the most part. Yet, to those who are admirers of quality in all things, even if it may not be their cup of tea: I can never imagine a derisive word being aimed in Chelsea Morning's direction. It is perfect- in that its nature, and existence are fully realized. That is, it is a smashing success at just what it was set out to be.

Also, its worth saying that I can think of NO reason this could not be an all-day blend in two ways: background music, and object of study. If one wanted a pipe to simply fume in their mouths all day, this would fit the bill very well, as it is a very tame blend, and wont scorch you if you absent-mindedly start to really chug it. And, to those who have the luxury to devote attention directly to their pipes, there is much for your palate to contemplate throughout the day once you let your tongue go to the tobacco, as opposed to the other way around. Yes, I know it wasn't designed as an all-day, as it is meant to be the morning leg of an "all-day" series. And I am here to tell you, if the other blends in the "Old London" series are anywhere near as fine specimens in their rites as Chelsea Morning is in its own-it may well just become my entire rotation!

So, yes, I am a BIG fan of "Chelsea Morning" for lots of reasons. And I honestly think that if you are a lover of pipe smoking, this is sure to hold a special place in your heart. Even if your tastes lay in other tins, you will surely hold this blend as a masterpiece in the art of tobacco blending. There is no blend I recommend before, or higher than this one.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (48)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Yet another blend I've mixed feelings about. On the one hand, the taste of the tobacco is superb (if not too full), and the side stream, well, it's outstanding, but, for me, this blend packs such a nicotine wallop, it sent my head spinning and stomach churning. Also, my throat paid a heavy price—this blend smoked harsh and rough for me, it wasn't a pleasant experience (I wonder if it was the perique in this that was responsible for that?).

Chelsea Morning is really full of both the things I love about pipe smoking, and of the things I hate about pipe smoking. If your sensitive to high levels of nicotine and really full tasting tobacco, bypass this one, if not, you'll probably like it a lot. I'll split the difference and give it a solid two stars.

Pipe Used: I can't remember

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Palermo09 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Palermo09 (20)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This is my first GL Pease blend, a blender that I have had much anticipation to try. I have to say that I have never been more surprised with a tobacco as related to what the description of the tin says. I could not smell any Latakia on the tin note, to me it smells like a typical VaPer. It also smokes like a VaPer, however the orientals are dominant along with the perique. There was really no hint of latakia while smoking it either. The flavor and nicotine level were both quite strong and enjoyable. I think this blend would be more enjoyed by fans of perique rather than someone looking for a traditional English blend. Over all a nice blend.

Pipe Used: Alfred Baier Freehand

Purchased From: BnB Tobacco

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this one after going on a little Pease binge, this was one of the ones available that I had yet to sample so decided to dip my toe in it's veritable pond.

The tin note I found is a strange one, it strikes me as being of engine oil and meat, it reminded me of mechanics having a bacon sandwich while on a lunch break as tools lie across the garage floor beside a dismantled engine. The tobacco, as always, has rich darkly coloured browns with a few flecks of lighter notes dashing it nicely, I always love the colours Mr Please makes his tobacco. Packing is easy, in spite of some chunky ribbons and so is the lighting. The flavour is a mild one, the latakia is evident early on but is far from dominant as hints of fruit and more than a generous garnish of cream begin to kick in later.

This is a very mellow relaxing smoke that is just pure enjoyment, a good all day smoke, though I found myself smoking it more in the afternoon. It's more like some light Mozart than some rousing Tchaikovsky. Not one for determined lat-heads perhaps, but one for everyone should like it. Me, I love the stuff. Thank you again Mr Pease.

Purchased From: Gauntley's of Nottingham

Polaris82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Polaris82 (14)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Chelsea morning; the little sister to Quiet nights. Where quiet nights is anything but quiet(in my opinion great for parties and get togethers) This is a mild English, and just as the name states, this blend is good for the quiet and slower moments of life. The latakia is not the bold latakia of Brebbia #9, but a much milder leaf. Has a rich earthy smell in the tin. This gets excellent with age and 1-2 years is highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Ropp Okay'

Age When Smoked: Tin Date 2010

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

USVI sailor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
USVI sailor (6)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Purchased a tin about a year ago. Stuck it in my pipe cabinett and forgot about it. While doing some reorganization found it and tried it. The aroma in the tin was fantastic - I could smell the perique. It was a little damp so I set it out overnight to dry. Lightly rubbed it out with my fingers and stuffed in my pipe. To my delight this stuff is really good. Burned well and was tasty all the way to the bottom. I was doing some sail repair and smoked it while outside in the cockpit - didn't have that grassy taste a lot of virginia based tobaccos do when smoked out of doors. Definitely will get put on my "approved" list. For a similar comparison - Frogmorton on the Bayou is close.

CGHurlburt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CGHurlburt (24)
Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant

This tobacco was my first step away from aromatics and into the realm of higher quality tobaccos. I was forwarned that I may hate this stuff based off of what I have previously been smoking(aromatics and common US OTC brands). The tin was dated 05/15/2012. So this is a pretty fresh batch.

Opening the tin I was greeted by an aroma that clearly stated "You have never had anything like this". It was interesting. Reminded me of leather and earth in a pleasant sense, very robust. I packed my favorite briar being carful not to over pack. It was a little difficult to light. It took several char lights and tamping before it got going properly. And throughout the bowl I needed to relight twice while smoking at a moderate/slow pace.

Taste: I'll tell you with full confidence that this will become part of my rotation from now on. The taste is wonderful. Occasionally I would get a note of something different, something I can't quite put my finger on. Whatever it is, I love it. This is earthy, smokey, with hints of leather and wood. Not like leather and wood smells burning, but more like the impression you get when you walk into a place full of antiques and history. It is hard for me to properly explain. But it is very pleasant and pleasing.

Room note: The family seems to like it. No complains at all. I was a little worried about this as they are used to my aromatics. From what I can detect, as the man behind the pipe, it has a smooth room note that is quite nice.

Final thoughts: Outstanding. I'm already gathering my other OTC brands from around the house to give away. I've been awakened to something I've been missing in a good pipe smoke and I'm not looking back. The neighbor is going to be happy today. He's about to recieve 10oz of OTC tobaccos in various brands which I'm never going to smoke again.

Barling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Barling (19)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This has replaced Dunhill Early Morning Pipe as my first smoke of the day. It is absolutely perfect with a cup of coffee, and I swear it even tastes like coffee. Nice and mild but not so mild that I end up puffing madly for flavor. I love to smoke this in a small Dunhill and sip it very slowly while I compose my thoughts for the day. It has just the right nicotine kick to get me going without making me feel dizzy. Absolutely splendid!

Fr. Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fr. Smoke (4)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

VapPer lovers will love this English, as it is a milder English with a strong Virginia and Perique backbone. The Perique is present often with the Virginias. It is a lovely, complex blend with a slight nicotine kick for those who want that (I usually don't; when I want a slight-to-medium buzz, though, from a complex VaPer,this is a great choice). The Orientals and Latakia often take a back seat, but are occasionally present. It smokes well in my pot-shaped pipes.

Calling it a mild English is a bit misleading, as it is a kind of hybrid between a complex VaPer and a mild English. It can definitely be an all day smoke, especially for VaPer lovers. The muted Latakia and Orientals certainly are there, but in a restrained fashion, hence the preference for this as a morning smoke for English lovers. I'd give it four stars as an outstanding blend in its own, unique category of a complex mild English with a strong VaPer foundation.

I like my English blends these days to lean less on a strong VaPer base, with more harmonious Latakias and Orientals present, so I personally only rate this a three star blend. But that's my own, current preference. Within its genre, it is truly outstanding. A master blend.

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)

I don't really get the concept of a "morning blend"... any blend that is smokeable works in the morning for me. Still this one does perform nicely with the morning cup. And any other time of day too, go figure. I appreciate the use of the latakia as a condiment here, and a conservative one at that, just enough that you know it's there. This is a well married blend of components woven into a broadcloth whole...um, by which I mean you tend to taste the blend more often than it's parts. Overall I would describe it as neutral in taste with a slight lean towards sweet. Occasionally I catch a taste of red virginia, but the main flavor I get is from orientals, which I would guess to be izmir and possibly some amount of dubec. Towards the bottom the perique spice comes on more, as does the nicotine...oh the nicotine...sometimes towards the heel I'm left wondering if I accidentally dropped some G&H rope in the bottom before I filled the rest of the bowl. Another great one from the House of Pease and presently my favorite english blend.

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is rapidly becoming one of my top favorites. I go to this when I'm in a contemplative mood, reading a book outdoors, etc. I would imagine that trying to balance out four different kinds of leaf must be difficult, and it feels like Pease got this exactly right. Almost every few puffs the flavor changes back and forth, keeping it incredibly interesting. I also find it a little less moist (or swampy??) than any other English I've had. It just seems less thick and oily, and more earthly and complex. I normally puff harder on English/Balkans than I do VAs, but this one I have to sip because it's so complex, and the Perique adds even more to that. This is fine, because the flavor is huge. Not too much of a certain leaf and not too little of it either. Right when I think there could be more Oriental, I begin tasting it again.

I can see this being great outdoors in the fall and winter. I just had in on a slightly rainy, cooler summer day commuting into work. Lovely.

Great stuff. One word description: Complex

Going back to edit this one to say that so far this is the best blend I've been able to pair with a cup of coffee. It's almost like it was designed with that in mind.

Uruss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uruss (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not a big Latakia smoker, but I continue to try different ones hoping that I'll like one of them. I've finally found one that's really enjoyable. It took the second bowl for it to really click with me.

for me, It starts off with the Latakia "smokeyness" at the start and revisits throughout the bowl, especially when relighting. The virginias really begin to come through at mid-bowl all the way till the end. near the end is where I started picking up that natural sweetness from the Virginias. I have not been able to pick up any Perique yet, but I'm sure it's there somewhere.

all in all, this is a very good blend, I think the Dark Lord has opened my eyes to the Latakia world. I'm not ready to Lat-bombs, but I can definitely appreciate flavor that Lat lends to blends, if only in small doses for now.

If you're looking to dip your hands in the Lat blends, I would highly suggest giving Chelsea Morning a try. you just might find that it's for you!

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)

Pop the top to find a pleasant English aroma with nice latakia tones, on top of the funky, ripe cheese of earthy Perique. The balance of aromas is amazing. Tangy, smoky, savory, delicious scents blend flawlessly in the tin aroma of Chelsea Morning.

Packs nice - rub it out just a little, burns well.

Sweet Virginia background supports the smoky tar of the Latakia, and the very nice subtle floral flavors of the Orientals. The Perique is faint in the smoke, but the effect it has on this already fine medium English blend is balancing and warming. New leather, cigar boxes, feed grain and creosote. I find this stuff very satisfying. It's cool and damn tasty.

Another favorite for my list. Masterfully Done !

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

This along with Piccadilly, another blend from Pease, are among my favorite blends to smoke in the mid morning with a cup of coffee, although I will just as easily smoke this one at night. It has a nice leathery tin not upon cracking the seal, and the smoke is best described I think as a wonderful interplay of VA and Latakia with a hint of Perique. I really enjoyed this blend and smoked my first tin straight through within a few weeks even while I had a set of samplers from a mailout to get through. This blend was an instant classic for me, try it with a good cup of strong jo, you won't be disappointed!

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

Pease Pilgrimage Reviews (a tasting journey through every GLPease blend) Tin date: 2/18/10

Let me warn you ahead of time that vile, disgusting stuff like this should not even be allowed on the market. Run. Fast. Away from that mouse! Away from those Pease etailers and retailers! Get as far from them as you can! You are getting very sleepy.....YOU MUST NOT BUY ANY MORE CHELSEA MORNING! BWAH HA HA HA HA!

Well, just in case you're still here...

Appearance: A mottled, multi-colored blend, including some little flecks, some striated slices, and some lumber. I pulled a stick out of my tin, but the variety of forms and shapes in the blend is interesting to me. Very easy to pack, perfect humidity (or lack thereof, since I find most of Greg's blends on the dry side, just the way I like 'em).

Aroma: The tin aroma is delicious. Think Abingdon or Westminster but with much less Latakia. The same characteristics are there, but the smokiness is much more subdued.

Pipe 1: Meer Billiard Pipe 2: GBD pot Pipe 3: Stanwell Vario Billiard

Flavor: In a nutshell, Chelsea Morning absolutely puts Early Morning Pipe to shame. There is a reason why everyone is drooling on themselves over this one. If you're on the fence over this blend, it's time to jump down and cowboy up! Fork over the ten bucks and step into the arena of this delicious, destined-to- be-a-classic, perfectly balanced, medium English blend. If you're even remotely interested in english blends you owe it to yourself to try it.

Starts off great, ends up delicious. If there is one word I would use to describe Chelsea Morning it would be balance. None of the ingredients vie for attention, all of them contribute to the exceptional end result. The very definition of symbiosis, where the individual parts work for the benefit of the whole.

Even though very light, there is enough Latakia in there for lovers of Latakia (like me) to enjoy, there is enough complexity to keep lovers of contemplative smoking interested, and there is enough flavor and strength to keep it interesting. I am definitively NOT a fan of mild smokes, and this one falls squarely in the medium part of the spectrum. Amp up the temperature, and you can easily cross over into the low end of full-flavored.

If you concentrate, you can pick out some of the flavors. The Virginia sweetness and foundation are noticeable. The oriental leaf is is perfect proportion. The Latakia gives a noticeable does of smokiness and smoothness, and the Perique actually is noticeable as a pungent, very slightly sourness to balance the smoky and sweet.

When Greg hits is right, he knocks it out of the park. I used to live near Chicago, so you Cubs fans will know about the buildings beyond center field where the locals gather on the rooftops to watch the game. That's where Mr. Pease directed this one, except the ball kept traveling right on into Lake Michigan.

Four stars, of course.

Wait a minute, I meant NEGATIVE four. Yeah, negative four stars. Vile stuff. Run away. Leave it for me to dispose of safely and properly!

Charlie Allnut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Charlie Allnut (16)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

farmgent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
farmgent (4)
Mild Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I too have to compare this against Early Morning Pipe. It is a bit stronger than EMP. For me it can be smoked all day, whereas EMP was more of a morning bowl. First bowl from the tin was good, but it did not live up to the reviews I had read. I followed the advice to leave the tin open to dry and YES the difference was what lead me to give this the 4 star rating. I recommend this especially to those that were fans of the Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and the early Murray's blend of Early Morning Pipe.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (69)

The balence of Latakia, Orientals, VA/Per is perfect. I agree it is a good morning smoke but can be enjoyed all day. This is one of my favorite blends and have already started to cellar a few tins. I usully now add a few tins in each m order to stash away for a rainy day. When I want a bit more latakia I like the Quite Nights but this is in m estimation the best of the GLP line...and that says alot since GLP is my favorite blender.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)
Mild Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Chelsea Morning now vies with Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe (of which I've got just a little left) for my go-to morning smoke. The difference is that I smoke CM at any time of the day. I can't tell you what's so right about this blend that made it shoot to the top of the English list, but I will just say: perfect balance of elements that are imho among the most difficult to balance well, even satisfactorily. CM pulled the English/Balkan blends back into my rotation when I was about to declare my excursion into Virginias and VaPer a permanent proposition. I still love VAs and VaPers, but now I've got enough CM to ensure that it will remain a fixture in my rotation. So, balance gave me balance.

utahpipeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
utahpipeman (6)

Well, it's a shame that some people apparently come on just to trash a brand that puts out a quality tobacco like this, which ultimately blocks a 4 star rating. Fortunately, all of the facts are presented on this site, so you can see that the reviewer who gave the one star rating below has rated 8 Pease tobaccos an average of 1.62 stars, while he rated 10 McClelland tobaccos an average of 3.8 stars. Hmmmmm. Oh well. I like McClelland tobaccos too by the way. I just hate to see a strong bias destroy overall ratings for any given tobacco. People who don't like aromatics shouldn't rate aromatics, people who don't like english blends shouldn't rate english blends, and people who don't enjoy a particular brand shouldn't rate that brand.

Now, as for the other low reviews, I can see where they might be disappointed. Nothing suits everyone. However, speaking for myself, I can only echo the many other 4 star reviews. This tobacco, with a cup of coffee, makes for a great start to the day.

I'll just add that in the days when tobaccos by Esoterica, Dunhill and Samuel Gawith were easily available, for reasons I can't explain, I was determined to avoid tobaccos by what I considered nontraditional producers (such as G.L. Pease). I finally gave in and tried some Pease products. Yes, I still miss Penzance and others, but exploring the Pease range has added a lot of fun to my smoking experience. Thanks Greg!

risle-lariviere Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
risle-lariviere (33)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As i'm an early bird and wake-up before anyone at home i have a good hour before waking up my wife. So in all this loneliness i have the time to smoke this very well balanced blend every morning for the last 2 months.

Before writing this review i smoked all the content of an 8 oz tin.

Well, what more can i say than to tell you i love this blend and to read the description on the tin because it is spot on.

While i do understand why it's supposed to be smoked in the morning , i do find it a great evening blend as well especially after dinner in a large bowl.

The latakia is not strong just a hint to let you remember it's there and the VA are very well balanced and sweet to let you satisfied ,taste wise as well as nicotine strenght.With that said don't expect a nicotine bomb because it's really not but rather a satisfying strenght.

Dr. Hall Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Hall (15)

Chelsea Morning is a very good blend. Right out of the tin it was a bit moist and smoked rather steamy, masking the incredible flavors it contains. Letting it dry overnight (just leave the lid off the tin or spread it out on a plastic bag) made all the difference in the world. Dried out a bit, this blend is one of the best mild-medium English blends I have ever smoked. It is a smooth, creamy smoke, probably due to the pressing process used for this blend. The Virginias range from toasty caramel-custrard-like flavors to very slightly citrusy flavors. The orientals are faintly woody and slightly herbal, and the latakia provides an ever so slight smokiness to the blend. I don't sense the perique playing much of a role in this blend, maybe a hint of sour pepperiness that really gets lost in the Virginia and oriental goodness. Overall, this is a fantastic English blend which I can smoke all day long. This blend doesn't need to be aged at all, and I haven't done so yet nor might never do so because it is so good as is.

Update: Having gotten around to smoking some of the new Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, I must say that Pease's Ashbury and Chelsea Morning are far superior in every way, better quality and better tasting orientals and Virginias all round, and perfectly spiced with latakia.

Traderbob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Traderbob (24)
Mild Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I have been smoking "Good Morning" by C&D (which I think was also blended by Greg Pease. I find the Chelsea Morning a little stronger with a great taste. It does work well with a cup of coffee for me! First portion of the bowl was not as flavorful as I expected, but it seems to mature as you go down the bowl. About 1/2 way through - I don't want it to end. Very smooth creamy smoke. I have not smoked EMP so don't know how it compares to this, but I really like this smoke. You could certainly smoke this one all day, but I will stick with this as my morning smoke.

This tobacco packs easily and lights easliy as well. Most of the time I can smoke a bowl without having to re-light. I still like the C&D Good Morning a little better, but plan to keep some of each in my rotation. I did not experience any bite with this tobacco, but do take my time and smoke slowly. I think this one goes down as another great tobacco! I love the room note...so much that with my finished pipe sitting by me - I am motivated to load her up again.

TNLawPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TNLawPiper (5)

(I purchased a tin of this yesterday afternoon. I have had one bowl from a new cob, and I was driving at 70 mph at the time, so you slow smokers might find some different notes. I'm always doing something when I smoke, though, so my experience was normal.)

The Virginias were very nice -- not too bright or sweet, although I experienced a bit of tongue bite. The Latakia is very lightly applied, but it is noticeable. You can tell that he threw it in just to give the blend some depth, and it performs that task masterfully. I've never been good at pinpointing Oriental tobaccos, but I believe they rounded out the tobacco nicely with a fullness of sorts. I would classify the perique as playing a role similar to a bagpipe's drone -- necessary to the composition.

The cut is a ribbon/broken flake hybrid. It packed into a cob rather evenly, but it was difficult to initially light with a book-style matches. Take the lighting slowly, and you'll be rewarded with extraordinary flavor from the beginning (although what I believe I know about Oriental tobacco reinforced itself in pungency).

The note was great. As I said, I smoked it in my car on the interstate, so the smoke didn't linger, but what I could smell was great -- a nice, man cave scent that says, "I smoke high-quality tobacco, and I enjoy smelling like it." My wife hates Latakia, which she was able to distinguish.

Chelsea Morning had nice punch to it, although I hadn't eaten in six hours, and I'm a relative lightweight.

I would rate it 3.75 stars out of 4 stars, with the caveat that my experience wasn't optimal.

Boomer-Z Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boomer-Z (22)

I love this stuff. I bought it after trying several other GL Pease products. It is a nice flavorful blend. Don't puff to hard or it will bite you, but all do and normally it is my fault. On the can it says it is good with coffee, but I have found it is good with just about everything. I do get a lot of the flavors, the sweetness, and just enough spice to keep it interesting. I normally smoke it in a middle sized Peterson dedicated to English blends. When my can runs out I will be buying more.

Give it a try! Enjoy, Z

don1688 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
don1688 (27)

Edit April 13, 2010:

I know, "smoke it slow for better flavor", but it is a MUST for CM. The flavor is totally different. If a large amount of smoke is a must for you when smoking, I think you'll miss out on a great one of a kind tobacco. I have also found lighter packing to help also bring out the oriental nuances of CM.

original review March 5, 2010:

Complex is an understatement!

This has a beautiful flavor throughout. I can not tell you that the first third is this and the middle is that...it seems way to complex for that, to me. I sense, what I believe, as a blend playing together as well as anyone could hope for in a blend. The individual components could not be moved one little bit or the whole sum would be "off". This is what I believe makes this a true artisan blend.

Complexity. Does that mean that the parts must weave in and out and say “I'm virgina and oriental leaf or I'm Latakia” and then move away in mystery; components singing alone and switching back-and-forth throughout the smoke? Or does it mean that each of the parts make a perfect combination that gives you a wonderful smoke from start to finish that cannot be described? This blend is the latter.

Smokiness is always deep in the background, but always present and the “rest” meld so wonderfully that I have no idea which component I taste! It took me a while to accept this as fact but now that I have, I understand truly how complex a blend may be.

What is going to be in the coming years as this ages? What I can tell you is that it will probably be an almost magical transformation from deeply complex to deeply complex and…I have no idea what can become of Chelsea Morning.

Complexity has a price. It takes much longer to “find” the blend. We could miss out on a gem if not given the right time. Some of us don't want to devote a lot of effort to a tobacco, and there is nothing wrong there. But please, if it's not easily accepted at first, try again and you will probably find a blend that will be in your pipe for years to come. This is a masterpiece. And, thanks Mr. Pease for helping me find another level in pipe tobacco.

Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (26)

Update, February 2014: I'm smoking a nearly four year old tin right now, and it's amazing. All my notes below still apply: the Virginias and orientals providing most of the texture, with some perique and latakia peeking out above and below, with the latakia building in intensity as it goes on. But I think of this as basically a heavily-condimented VA blend, for the most part.

I also find it pipe-dependent. Want to taste more latakia? Smoke it in a pipe you usually smoke a fuller latakia blend in. Want the see where the perique fits in? Smoke it in a VA/perique pipe.

And as regards the age: things are starting to meld very nicely after four years. Very much looking forward to seeing what happens in the future here.

Go buy some. Smoke a tin immediately, and crack another in five years. Thank me later, preferably by sending me aged Chelsea Morning.

March 2010: I'm a big fan of Pease's blends and especially his less-full English blends, like Ashbury and Kensington. I thought this would be more of the same, but bought a tin anyway.

The presentation is really great, and I love that Pease has been favoring this broken-flake form factor for several of his blends lately. It gives options as to how to smoke it. I leave mine more or less intact, as I do with Fillmore and Embarcadero.

I want to note, too, that even though my tin was less than a week old and a bit more moist than most of what I smoke, the burn qualities are generally very good. Perhaps I've just refined my smoking technique, but I find Pease blends sometimes fight staying lit. Personally, it doesn't bother me having to relight, but it is nice to have a lower maintenance tobacco, and this is it.

I've been smoking this pretty much all day. For a breakfast blend, I'm often not in the mood for latakia, but because that flavor is just one of many here, it doesn't turn me off. This smoke seems to me very deep with a lot going on. But to me, the big success of this blend is that all four flavors mix together and you don't get a bit that's a hint of latakia, and then a bit of perique, and so on. The perique provides a hint of spice, the latakia the underlying smoke, and then the virginias and orientals seem to provide most of the middle work. It's remarkably consistent top to bottom, perhaps getting a little fuller as it goes on, as with a cigar.

I can't say enough nice things about this blend. Highly recommended, and one of Pease's best.

DocAlamo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DocAlamo (2)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I believe Pease has created two all time classic tobaccos: Key Largo and Chelsea Morning. I absolutely love this blend. My most favorite tobacco first thing in the morning, with my favorite cup of coffee, has been Dunhill's EMP. I still have a few tins of this tobacco in my cellar, which by now has quite a bit of age on it. When I first tried Cheslea Morning I was completely amazed with the smoothness, deliciousness, and balance in this blend. It has now become my #1 most favorite first thing in the morning smoke with my favorite cup of coffee. There is just the right amount of Virginia, Latakia, Orientals, and Perique in this blend. Nothing overpowers in this blend. It changes character throughout the bowl, and seems to like just about any pipe I have put it into.

I believe, that with age on the tin, this will be a world-class blend. Greg really knocked the ball out of the park with this one.

Briar Mike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briar Mike (17)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

It lives up to the hype, I got this because of the reviews here, 2 tins so far, and its exactly as described. Perfect in the morning, able to be smoked all day. It is mild and puffs so very well. It reminds me personally of a more enticing version of McClelland's 3 Oaks Syrian. I am not saying the tobaccos are the same or even should be, but they smoke similar is all.

One note, it goes well with coffee, but not at all well with anything like scotch in my opinion. I hope I can find and order more before it all gets gobbled up.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am about to do what I despise others doing. I am reviewing a style of Blend I generally dislike. But since I don't write reviews of blends I don't approve of, stick with me gentle reader.

I received a tin of Chelsea Morning as a gift. People have asked me if I'd tried this, and I politely said "No"- It's been suggested to me on occasions. The gifter KNOWS I don't like latakia blends, but they did it anyway so I have finally accepted that Kismet, Karma, or Destiny must play it's part. Opening the tin, the smell is like Aarakis Spice. The Orientals waft up to the nose as much as the latakia, which is gentle. The moisture is perfect-Hmmmmm...I don't normally say that. I take enough for a pipe, and leave it in my mixing bowl to breath through lunch. Returning I fully rub the thick ribbons, and pack a Peterson Meer that ,like a bloodhound, never fails to sniff out nuances. I prepare myself as a Samurai for a tea ceremony. Baby is asleep, phone off, house quite. I am ready. On light up, The latakia takes a brief, but bold front. As it calms, the Virginia body comes forward building the blend up as the latakia recesses- The two become one. The Orientals- Izmir I assume for the sweetness- and perique become more noticeable, and suddenly I get a vision of Sidney Greenstreet in the "Blue Parrot"- Why? Got me. Perhaps the scene subconsciously represents the Exotic. Through the rest of the bowl I have this wonderful, exotic, Incense like smoke that has good strength, a big character, great burn characteristics. This is a transcendental smoke! Much as a symphony can tell a story, so does this blend- It's one I shall enjoy experiencing again and again. A Hat Tip to Master Pease.

Nachman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nachman (13)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I am not a fan of mild pipe tobacco, but this is SO GOOD. When I read the early reviews, my reaction was "Yaah, everyone loves a new tobacco." I approached it with skepticism but the first pipe full made a believer out of me. I have finished my first tin and am waiting for three more. It makes a good early morning smoke. The taste far exceeds it's strength. I shouldn't go on like this because I foresee shortages.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (140)

Oh my God, it's sweet! A slightly sweet English that has no additives I feel.

Yes an exciting way to light your first rousing smoke of the day, with tea, coffee, bacon, biscuits or whatever.

You can definitely sense the latakia, though it is not heavy in the mix. It's a little sharp at times, and this is apparently not Louisiana Perique but the new Acadian Perique added.

I have smoked it all day at times -- one bowl in morning, one in afternoon, and one in evening for over a week. Nothing else. The tin is about empty. I used the same pipe (new Peterson natural). Sure my first 10 bowls may not have been right on the tobacco flavor due to break in time, but the next dozen or more are.

A little like Dan's Gordon Pym, but lighter and a sweet note. Not at all like Dunhill's EMP, but no attempt is made to say that it is.

A thick ribbon, broken cake type of cut, that burns well.

Not heavy but intoxicating all the more. A great treat for all English puffers. Excelsior.

sportspipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sportspipe (5)

God bless Greg Pease!

That being said I'll get down to it.

I don't claim to have the most refined palate when it comes to tasting tobaccos. However, I can certainly appreciate the delicate nuances of this fine blend. This stuff packs well, lights easy and stays lit. Burns even and can easily be an all day smoke for those who love a mild English.

I am an English lover and tend to be rather critical of those blends. I smoked my first bowl full while doing nothing but evaluating the blend. After that, made a nice cup of tea, grabbed the paper and puffed leisurely enjoying it in my complacency.

I'm going to be friends with this stuff for years to come and am officially putting it in my regular rotation.

If you love or even like English blends and haven't tried this yet, TRY IT!

Happy Holidays to all!

beeftip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beeftip (10)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

First, a haiku.

Harmonius blend

Great with coffee or green tea

Always wanting more

The Nobel Peace Prize was given to the wrong person this year. If all the leaders of the world were forced to sit down and discuss the issues while smoking a bowl of Chelsea Morning, everything would be solved. There would be no more war, an end to starvation and poverty and no more human suffering. They Nobel Foundation would change the name of the award to the Nobel PEASE Prize.

Alright, maybe that's a little much. If you like mild English blends, then you'll love this. And who cares how it will age. I wouldn't want to wait long enough to find out.

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (41)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This guy has hit a mark with this one. It is not like that other morning blend that has been around for so long and is now gone, but it hits the same mark and it is just wonderful. Buying more cans right away. Try it if you like a good smoke with your coffee or tea in the morning.

ChefBethpage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChefBethpage (2)

Where to start? Beautiful in the tin, wonderful aroma. Nice, long strands with just the right amount of leaf lock. Perfect moisture right out of the tin. This beauty was made for the bulldog or billiard. I'm on tin #3 and have settled on an old Charatan Author dedicated to this perfect morning weed. A strong cup of Assam and two or three bowls of this will improve your outlook on life. This is what Early Morning Pipe wanted to be, but never quite got there. Its charm fades toward noonish, when more punch is in order, but that's what Westminster is designed for.

If you want to brighten your day, this is the blend to start with.

Armac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Armac (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Pleasant

A previous reviewer said this blend sings and I couldn't agree more. I dicovered it by accident. I was in Barclay Pipe and Tobacco in Columbus recently and a fellow there, knowing I'd smoked Early Morning Pipe and several other English blends years ago, suggested I try it. I've since become primarily a Virginia or Virginia-Burley smoker, but this blend has all the attributes that could change that.

It is a marvelous smoke with rich taste and aroma. It smokes without a bite to a medium gray ash and is one of the few blends in my over 50 years as a pipe smoker that leaves me wanting more. For those of you who might remember Rattray's Red Rapparee of the 1970s and before, you will find it similar but perhaps a bit richer. Highly recommended.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I make it a point never to review anything until I've had at least several bowls of a blend. It takes time to get to know a blend, especially since first impressions can be deceiving. I've known blends I loved the first bowl or two that turned out to be duds, and others I've hated the first couple of times that turned out to be treasured go-to blends.

I'm going to break that rule here. Last night at the monthly meeting of the Toronto Pipe Club we all sampled Pease's new release. You cannot get G L Pease in Canada, it must be shipped from elsewhere, so I was very grateful to have an opportunity to sample this so early in its release since I was looking forward to trying it -- it advertised itself as just the kind of blend I'd really enjoy. And, since I don't know when I'll be able to have another bowl of it, I couldn't wait to offer my first impression.

Straight to the point -- this is an exceptional blend! It's very seldom that a blend sings to me the way this one did on the first bowl. It's also very seldom that promotional copy lives up to itself. I cannot improve on what Mr Pease says of his own blend: "easy to pack, easy to smoke... The flavours are lively and engaging, with a subtle fruitiness and gentle smokiness that wakes up the palate. For those expecting a Latakia powerhouse, this ain't that. The Cyprus leaf provides depth and character; it's certainly present, but it's not the dominant voice... The orientals present in this one add another dimension to the smoke. It's really a delightful blend." I'll also add it's very creamy with a silky, rounded mouthfeel.

If I had one criticism, it's that, like all of his blends I've tried, it tasted a tad young and raw, and would benefit from some aging to smooth down its rough edges. But this is a niggling complaint given how exceptional it was in every other respect.

This is a major winner. It's only the fifth Pease blend I've tried, but it's handily the best. And it needn't be smoked only in the morning -- it would make a terrific all-day blend, too. I intend to always keep some on hand.

(Mind you, this is after only one bowl, and could be a misplaced infatuation. If my opinion changes after I get to know it better I will definitely be back for an update.)

dhbillings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dhbillings (9)
Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My first couple of smokes of Chelsea Morning I tried in two different pipes: the first being a pipe I made last week and the other in a basket pipe that I restored a while back. Both do well with Charing Cross, but neither did well with Chelsea Morning. Today, however, I decided to give it another go, only this time in a GBD Prehistoric Lovat that quite honestly seems to be made for smoking perique.

Upon opening the tin I found Chelsea Morning to have a delightfully sweet aroma. Its cut was absolutely perfect as was the moisture content. It also packed perfectly as well. It was a little bit harder to light than some other blends I have tried (not sure why, but some of his blends seem to not light easily - maybe I am doing something wrong??).

This time around, my smoking experience was completely different than with the other pipes. Chelsea Morning danced on my tongue, interweaving the different subtleties of the Perique and Latakia. At times I noticed more Perique, and at other times I noticed more Latakia. Most of the time they melded together with the Orientals and Virginias to create a new flavor that goes exceedingly well with a cup of coffee and crisp October weather. I loved it. It was still strong - but not too strong - and it burned quite slowly, allowing me to savor all the subtleties and complexities.

I don't think Chelsea Morning will ever be an all-day smoke for me, but then again Mr. Pease never blended it to be that way. I do, however, think it could be an every-morning smoke as it is a wonderful morning blend that goes well with a cup of coffee and a long, relaxing sit.

BigD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigD (2)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Well I recieved my first tins of Chelsea Morning in this morning and I usually give things a few smokes before I give my two cents. Usually that means 3 or 4 days of smoking, today however it means I've had 4 bowls already and I think I might have a 5th in a minute.

First off I am a Virginia guy, not a latakia lover. I gave up on latakia when I couldn't get my hands on Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium anymore. I thought I would give this a try for the heck of it and I was blown away. From a guy who smokes Reiner Long Golden Flake religiously that means something.

The bowl starts off with a strong hit of Latakia at the charring light but immediatly the sweetness of the virginia's hit. The first 15 minutes or so are a nice sweet flavor. It's about the 15 minute mark where every single bowl I've smoked did the same thing. It suddenly goes creamy and very nutty out of nowhere. But the flavor is absolutely delicious. It smokes clean down to the very bottom of the bowl.

The only slight criticism I can give it is that it was wet in the can like usual but 15 minutes of air gave it the perfect moisture level. All I can say is wow Greg.....wow!

Dustin

Back in 2009 there was much excitement surrounding the release of Chelsea Morning and even though a moderate Pease fan, I bought a sleeve of five tins a month after the release. With much disappointment, I struggled to get through the first tin and even gave away part of it. I ended up storing the remaining four tins in the cellar. Now, five years later, opening a 2009 tin, I have a much better sense of what this blend is all about. The tin note is sour and smoky. And the spun cut tobacco has melded nicely. While I think this is true of most all blends, Pease blends really seem to show their stuff with some age and CM is no exception. There is a lot of complexity to CM with the component tobaccos showing themselves at different places in the smoke. I can’t recall smoking a blend that smokes so differently from smoke to smoke and one pipe verses another. But I mean this as positive, not a negative. Most often the Virginias lead, but there is a creaminess that seems to come from the Latakia and Orientals. Then at times the small amount of Perique shows up. This is not a Latakia heavy blend at all, but there’s more of it than I prefer in my morning pipe. For me this would be more of a late morning or mid-day smoke rather than my first pipe of the day, but a tasty blend all the same.

Age When Smoked: 11/2009

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (126)

....elegant, creamy texture. Sounds like marketing or advertising hype from the spin doctors - but actually fits the bill! Good pure tobacco flavors brought together in artistic harmony. Excellent spicy notes, both on the palate and retrohale. 4*.

Pipe Used: Cristiano

Age When Smoked: Tin stamp 121914

Purchased From: P&C

pipesofpeace Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesofpeace (7)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

CM is the blend i like the less from the Pease`s works. I´ve smoked several bowls in several pipes but for some reason i can`t get stuck with this one. Put it to cellar for a while and then i´ll review again. So far, nothing special for me.

Llewellyn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Llewellyn (8)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Have smoked this fine tobacco for several months now. Smooth morning and all-day smoke. Room note and taste is like Penzance light!

2014 10 19 Have stopped smoking this as more and more it has tasted unpleasantly sour and bitter to my tongue, although my colleagues still prefer this tobacco over many of the others I have moved to.

Pipe Used: standard to large

Purchased From: Cupojoes

hobbit_monk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hobbit_monk (2)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Upon opening the tin, there was a strong smell that was slightly unpleasant, but that may be because this tin was aged almost 2years. I rubbed it out a little bit more and it's texture was fairly easy in the hands. It packed quite nicely. I smoked it in my new (to me) Bjarne Danish freehand. It lit quite easily, and the first puff was full of nice strong flavors. I could tell that it had Latakia and Perique in it immediately (which I enjoy). The bowl stayed lit the whole bowl. The taste on my tongue was rich and flavorful, pleasant and tasty. I would recommend this blend to anyone who likes blends with Latakia.

zenflow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zenflow (4)

A naturally very sweet, thick, smooth smoke. I enjoy a couple bowls of this each morning and it really cheerfully wakes me up and gets me going. A highly recommended morning smoke.

carolina kid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
carolina kid (17)

The component tobaccos in Chelsea Morning work together brilliantly. They don't blend so much as harmonize. The Izmir and latakia in particular work together to produce a taste that is almost candy-like (Smarties?), especially early in the bowl. And the dash of perique gives a soft bass note rather than peppery spice.

Like a great wine, this blend has a tight, yet complex, structure. About mid-bowl you start to get some really nice cocoa or cigar-like notes that surprise without overwhelming.

Great stuff. Should age well, too.

Revised Review 5/22/12-Smooth, Savory and a 'Sour pucker' . I've been smoking this back to back with "Meridian" and it's hard to tell the difference. I feel Meridian is slightly more flavorful and allows the sweetness of the Virginia to come through , however, "M" is not as smooth as CM. . The Orientals , Latakia and Perique just add some interest and are well balanced. I get the creaminess and some of the fruitiness from the description. I agree with those that say this is a nice blend for the morning coffee, it's not a wowing guitar solo but rather a steady base fiddle. I'm tempted to give 4 stars, but under MY rating system , this gets a 3 and Meridian gets the 4, but I really can't disagree with reviewers, "DK 05/28/2011", or Katharsis 07/06/2011 .

Updated 9/10/2013- Tastes change, this is still a nice tobacco but I find the perique just adds to much spice for me when I want a mild tobacco. The perique distracts from the fruity nature of this blend

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)

I love the cut of this tobacco, and it behaves well in the pipe. The flavors are good, not overwhelming, but present. I was quite impressed from the sample I smoked. I do prefer some other GL Pease blends, but that may just be because of familiarity... I will spend some more time in Chelsea, that's for sure!

JasonDicker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JasonDicker (22)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

A delightful English blend! Slow burning and satisfying. Allow for breathing/drying, pack lightly and take the time to enjoy this with a strong coffee in the morning. Recommended.

I'm always looking to hearing from other pipe-smokers, so pop me a mail and we can share our experiences.

dickerjason@gmail.com

South Africa

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (87)

Love it.

This is not EMP but you can taste some similarities. It's stronger than EMP as a first thing in the day smoke due to the great vaper backbone but it is well balanced. Of the 6 or 7 bowls i smoke a day, either this or EMP start things off. Yummo!

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin: Sweet; essence of wheat from the VA, and an herbal incense from the orientals. A broken cake, which is a partially rubbed out cake. Mixture of mostly brown, with flecks of blonde. Date stamp on bottom of tin: 061611(June 16, 2011).

Packing & Burning: It does not stay lit very well. It had to be packed tightly, to achieve this. The chunky shape of the partially rubbed cake is partly the reason for this. But a bowl lasts a long while.

Taste & Aroma: Soft and smooth, the oriental presenting a moderate, sweet, herbal essence. Down the bowl, it develops a darker light chocolate-butterscotch taste. The orientals have a green tang to them, like grass, that has been mentioned as due to lack of age, or immaturity.

Overall: Reminded of Robert McConnell's Oriental. CM does not have as strong an oriental taste, just some what subdued. The cut gives a problem in handling and packing.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Strong

I did not like this at all. The cut was interesting.... I could rub it out a bit if I felt like it, it burnt a bit better that way. The smell was pretty bad, the taste was just flat and 'cardboardy'. I tried many different pipes, but I just didn't get it. I did like the nicotine level, it seemed just right. The room note was a bit ordinary, bordering on offensive.

If this was the only tobacco left on earth, I could smoke it, but I certainly will not be buying more.

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (48)

This blend has wonderful depth and complexity - the flavors complement each other and it is not a boring smoke by any stretch. It evolves and feels like a drive through the countryside as the flavors unfold. It is a bit on the strong side for my taste (I rarely spit when smoking a pipe but did for this one) - ergo 3 stars. If you like it on the stronger side this is high quality and could be just your ticket.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (67)

A nice morning smoke with more latakia than I'm use to for a first pipe of the day. High quality, nice cut for loading, smokes well, but there's not anything to hang my hat on for more than one tin. I can check this one off my list.

Harv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harv (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This is an excellent blend by G.L. Pease of quality tobaccos. The taste is good and pleasant. I love the sweet aroma when I sniff the pipe as I smoke this blend. Sweet Virginias are great and the Orientals are not over done. After smoking the first top portion of the bowl the Virginias come out and the latakia adds to the fullness. Room note is acceptable and not over powering like some English blends can be to the non smoker. No Bite during the smoke and no harshness at the bottom of the bowl. I prefer Chelsea Morning over my Dunhill Early Morning Pipe blend by Dunhill. Similar to EMP but richer, sweeter and has more body. I have put some up for aging and can't wait to see the improvements.

manytrees Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manytrees (16)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Love this series by Mr Pease: Chelsea Morning is one of the finest pipe blends I have ever smoked.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Lovely and perfectly balanced smoke, every leaf plays genially with each other to create a delicious mild smoke

HappyOne Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HappyOne (9)

I'm enjoying my 2nd bowl now and this stuff is taking me back to some of the best bowls that I enjoyed 20 years ago.I found that I need to rub it out a bit and then I can use the Frank method and sip it gently. Complex true tobacco flavour. Should age beautifully too.

Merven the Great Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merven the Great (18)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I loved it! just lack the nic kick a little. Very similar to GLP Westminster with the smokey burnt smell in the tin and the room note. And as suggested it great with the morning cup. You do have to let this baby dry though as it can come a little to moist (probably give it extra shelf/cellar life?) I leave what I need out the night before to ensure she's right to play the game. There's better out there but this is a very nice smoke.

rintrah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rintrah (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Tin note is earthy mushrooms in a camp fire with a bitter tinge. A difficult light even when dried for an hour prior to packing. Once it does catch you find nothing of the sweet, fruity, or creamY from the description--instead, a harsh smoke that feels a bit out of balance. Nothing remarkable or memorable about the experience except the bite it leaves behind. The hype on this one is questionable though I recognize this is all just personal taste. For my part, I recommend passing on this blend.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (37)

I've been reading that this goes well with the morning cup so I had to try it, given that is my favorite smoke of the day. That being said, I agree that it's a good smoke on a cool/cold morning with that hot cup. I really like that I could still taste the quality red virginia and with some time in the cellar perhaps the latakia will soften a bit and the virginias will sweeten a little more, and I believe they will... Gotta have that virginia in the morning... Looking forward to this after a few years in the cellar... Great blend

Briarfire007 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarfire007 (10)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

After several tries, I have decided that I can't really smoke this blend. That's not to say that it is a bad blend. The many many positive reviews should tell you that this is good stuff. I have just never done well with perique. I think that chemically, I don't agree with it. I knew that this blend contained perique when I ordered it, but I wanted very badly to try it anyway.

After a few months the blend has gotten noticeably smoother. However, it still doesn't agree with me. If you are not usually a fan of blends with perique, this one will probably not be for you either.

Greg Pease makes great tobaccos. He makes my all time favorite blend. This one just isn't for me.

mskywalker2000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mskywalker2000 (11)
Strong Strong Very Full Overwhelming

Not sure about this one. I frankly do not like the taste of it. My wife commented on the smoke saying it smelled 'like a wet dog'.

Tallman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tallman (35)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not a big latakia smoker, but this one really hit the spot with me. The latakia is clearly there, but not in your face at all. There's going to be an 8 oz tin in my very next order! I'm a believer!

CD Primal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CD Primal (6)

This blend doesn't need anymore positive reviews. However it is simply amazing. It is terrific in the morning, as per design, but excellent anytime. I am in the process of trying as many tobaccos as possible but I find myself just wanting to smoke more of this. Superior.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)

I really, really like Chelsea Morning, Greg Pease's recent addition to the "morning pipe" competition. The broken flake burns cool to a white ash, without any bite. The Virginias, Orientals and Latakia are well balanced to produce a harmonious lighter English, perfect with a strong cup of coffee. CM is a great way to start a weekend morning. Recommended.

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (70)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I had high hopes for Chelsea Morning and ordered an 8oz can from 4Noggins solely on the positive reviews here. First impressions, while seldomly accurate, were a bit disappointing for me as I could taste quite a lot of a liqorice/anise flavour added to the blend, which lingered in the mouth for quite a long time. On top of that, it was stronger than expected but did not have a lot of body. But the presentation is immaculate, nicely rubbed out pressed tobacco and I feel it will improve if left alone for a while. So this I will do and report in a few months time.

Marshall Law Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marshall Law (50)
Medium Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

I don't know what I'm doing wrong or what I'm missing out on here. I've enjoyed some really good Pease blends, but this.....? It seems nothing like the description, despite the pipe I use. I simply cannot mesh with this blend. Pungent and heavy with the smell of damp hay and dried grass. Lights up bitter and strong, and keeps going in that direction for the short span I can endure it. Sharp, harsh, and hot on the tongue, I found greater pleasure discarding the remnants of the tin, a bitter and disagreeable weed.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant

My first tin contained much more than just a "bit" of Latakia, with the Latakia dominating the scent at the opening of the tin and running the show throughout the pipes. Although this may be a bit milder than some, it is still a Latakia/English blend and nothing else.

My second tin had an overwhelming flowery scent to the smoke. The smoke actually tasted like it was laced with baby powder, you know, the scent of Johnson & Johnson's baby powder, sometimes called a "Lakeland essence." Whether this is some weird topping or the subtle fruitiness and fragrant Orientals of the tin description, I can not tell. But it is a real turn-off. I only kept smoking it because my wife loves the room note, and the sweet perfume scents lessen as the tin is exposed to air.

Tried it with my morning coffee, but I think it is also fine with port wine or beer in the evening.

Mr. Pease's accomplishment is that at least four different tobaccos are evident during the smoke. It is one of his typical blends where there is something for everyone, complex and multiple flavors throughout the pipe.

I recommend it without reservation for those who love English blends and Latakia, and a good mild English blend for the Virginia or burley smoker.

Update, Fall, 2010:

After 3 months of mellowing in an opened and then shut tin, just the plastic lid on it, this tobacco is a totally different experience.

3 months after exposure to the air, the Latakia recedes into the background, the supersweet Virginias come to the forefront, and the whole experience is less harsh. The Perique and Orientals are barely there. It has become an easy smoke. The disparity in taste from tin to tin is what keeps me from giving a fourth star.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)

I found this blend to be a little rough. Definitely a benefactor of the Pease mystique. Morning smoke? Way too rough for that. Others have stated that it's too young and needs some age but still gave it four stars, again Pease mystique at work, I mean really, it can't be both. Westminster is a way better smoke, morning, noon or night.

NursDad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NursDad (9)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this blend as a result of the reviews on this site. It did not dissapoint. I do have to say the first two bowls I had almost turned me away from this blend. They were lacking anything I look for in a good smoke. Being a fan of other G.L. Pease blends, I set it aside for a few days and finally gave it another try. I"m not sure what had change (maybe just my mood), but it surely became an enjoyable smoke. Delicate and smooth is how I would describe this blend. To me it delivers more at the midpoint and end of the bowl. A blend I will recommend and continue to enjoy in the future.

johntbs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
johntbs (1)

i am very pleased with this blend, although i am a newbie with perique. this blend does complement a good cup of coffee.

gildervoigts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gildervoigts (16)

I have smoke my 2oz tin of this and I am not liking it as well as all of those that have given it 4 stars. I didn't get any of the creamy, sweet, or other things mentioned in other reviews or description. For me this blend is dark, bitter, and heavy in the mouth and actually makes me sick to my stomach.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I agree with Marshall Law:

This is a poor blend of cheap tobacco. Better look into your blender and supplier, Pease, I suggest you are getting outbid at the tobacco auctions.

Glad I tried a Green Little Peas blend, but I will stick with Gawith, at least they know how to blend quality tobacco, which is why it is hard to get, and has been around for a few hundred years.

FLChrisC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FLChrisC (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I recently purchased my first tin of this due to the high volume of recommendations. I smoked it out of a pipe that I used with my Captain Black Cherry flavored tobacco. It was absolutely horrible. I smoked it twice and continued to have the same outlook. I then bought a new pipe after reading that the tobacco you smoke out of it stays, so to speak. After I smoked Chelsea morning in the new pipe, I fell in love. I absolutely adore it. Excellent taste, superb smell and an after taste that isn't too harsh on the pallet. Highly recommended.

TonyC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TonyC (13)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I waited several bowls of Chelsea Morning before I wrote this review. I needn't have. My first bowlful started off as a rich, creamy, full bodied smoke from the false light and has remained so every bowl since.

This is my first offering from Mr. Pease, and I think it's a great introduction. The tin aroma when first popped is sensational (I use the term "savory"), and you can smell the pungent Latakia and Orientals coming through. The moisture content is somewhat high, but a few minutes spread out before packing helps immensely. The VA's do begin to assert themselves in both the "bouqet" and the smoke, with a nice sweetness that is smoothly married to the flavoring components in just the right orchestration. The end has a nice peppery finish as the Perique joins in to put the final touches on the bowl, and leave you yearning for the next.

I enjoy it more in the A.M. with my first cup than after dark, sort of a wake-up call to my senses; therefore it will not be an all-day smoke for me. But this is good enough to have you anxious to climb out of bed on a cold February morning!

This is certainly going to be one of my favorites for some time, and has me looking forward to the continuation of the London Series.

fcpiii Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fcpiii (3)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I am very very partial to full-bodied English blends like Nightcap, 965 and Beck's old limey... I heard so much about this I wanted to try it to see if it could bump it's way into my rotation... This is a smooth and sophisticated mix with an even start with the typical oriental flavors a relatively smooth middle and then a strong but not unpleasant spicy finish It lights easily, burns to a fine white ash, but I did have to re-light 1/3 of the way through ( a little unusual for me) I understand why people like it, but I can't say it's replaced anything in my cellar... It is more complex and pleasant than most of the C and D's I've tried and I like it better than Westminster, but I don't see this is great enough to re-order, but folks who enjoy less full bodied English blends will ( and obviously do ) like this a lot

UsaRet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UsaRet (17)

The best Pease blend yet, smokes very cool and is so very soft.

Virginia and Oriental carry the blend with Latakia and Perique

weaving in and out in the background lending just the right

amount of support. Easy to load and nary a bite in a bowl full.

This is blending to the highest degree, can't wait to try the

rest of this series. Bravo Mr Pease.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)

UPDATED 5/15/10 I am a big fan of Pease's blends, but I don't like this one. I've come back to it several times over the past few months, and the results are the same. While it's deliciously tangy and piquant, its Latakia and Orientals are restrained, so much so that it smokes more like a VA/Per than an English as I had hoped from a blend in the "Old London" series. Perhaps I missed the point. If you prefer VA/Pers, add a couple of stars, because you'll probably love this. But to me, as a morning smoke, it has all the subtlety of smelling salts, with the spicy perique shoving its way through the rich, foundational Virginias.

I don't like EMP either, so apparently this whole "morning" thing isn't for me.

Loves2smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loves2smoke (2)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very good for the latkia enjoying pipesmoker, I would recomend aging a tin for about 3 months, that should do it for a marriage of the flavors.

thepauperpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thepauperpiper (2)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

This should be smoked like the name recommends, in the morning with your favorite cup of coffee. The smoky and earthy aromas complement each other very well. If you are not used to a medium flavored tobacco, care should be taken prior to completely loading your favorite bulldog. Everyone who loves the mornings and a good cup 'o joe should treat themselves to a can of this tobacco.

tsd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tsd (5)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Just had to chime in as well, this seems to be a great addition. I do believe Mr. Greg Pease has found his calling in life.

manytrees Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manytrees (16)

I just had to add my two cents worth.

As advertised a superior smoking blend!

atlharp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atlharp (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Tolerable

I have smoked this out a no name Italian prince, and a Savinelli 707a Alligator. All I can say about this blend is "Wow!" An absolutely beautiful blend that is wonderful in the morning and all day. A smooth, delicate flavor (still very young and raw)that has a powdery cocoa flavor to it. Very nice, not much fruitiness detected, but the cocoa flavor is definitely noticeable. The flavor reminds me of a Cuban cigar (San Cristobal El Principe). Very smooth, and an absolute delight as an all day blend. I am wondering how this will fair about 5 years from now.

A message to Pease- We need 16oz. tins of this pronto! :-)