Sweet red and bright Virginias, fragrant orientals, a bit of rich Cyprus Latakia, and just a pinch of Perique. The leaf is blended in layers, briefly pressed, then sliced and tumbled into ribbons. Lively and engaging, with a subtle fruitiness, and an elegant, creamy texture, it's a great bowl to accompany the morning cup.

Notes: Chelsea Morning was introduced in October, 2009.

BrandG. L. Pease
Blended ByGregory Pease
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2 ounce tin, 8 ounce tin
Where to Buy BnB Tobacco
Strength
Taste

This blend has the distinction of being the finest pipe tobacco blend to miss my rotation, an "honor" once reserved for GLP Abingdon. They both qualify for essentially the same reasons.

After falling heavily for the other two blends in this series, I decided to give this one a spin. This one has twice the complexity of the other two combined. Not just in one bowl but from bowl to bowl, this one showed many different faces. If there are any pipesmokers that listen to a lot of Iannis Xenakis' music (besides myself), you'll understand the complexity factor. And yet a lot of it seemed randon, like it showed whatever face it felt like at the times it felt like showing it. As a result, this is one of more intriguing blends I've ever smoked, the same as with Abingdon. Smokers of heavy latakia blends should try that one, just as those who favor a lighter hand should absolutely try this one. This one is everything that Dunhill EMP promised but failed to deliver. IMHO, this blend fills the "early morning" niche ten times better than the venerable Dunhill. No limp wrists here.

So why did this not make my rotation? Well, whereas I can't give this one enough respect as what I refer to as a "genius blend", my heart overrules my head in matters of subjectivity such as taste. I simply didn't find enough punch to this one. It should be noted that I rarely smoke before noon. By that time, Quiet Nights is calling - or Meridian. But if those two are too much for you and you prefer a milder taste but still fulfilling, and you enjoy complexity to the Nth degree, you absolutely HAVE to smoke this. It's a must. Instead of Dark Lord, I'm going to refer to Greg Pease as the Thinking Man's Blender. His blends are often puzzling, sometimes confounding, but all of them are worth a serious audition. The rewards will be plentiful.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

A delightful combination of tobaccos that work to perfection! Chelsea Morning is one of those rare blends that is not too strong yet pours waves of flavor over the palate. The tin note is that of stewed prunes and slight hints of Latakia. At the match the leaf delivers volumes of thick, rich and creamy smoke and stays lit well.

I want to say that Chelsea Morning was a bit like smoking Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe with an added Perique taste, but frankly, this one is stronger in taste. Near the bottom of the bowl the Perique is more evident.

I can see where this one will be enjoyed by the masses with few detractors. It simply has a little something in it for everyone (well, almost everyone).

Riff Raff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Riff Raff (4)

Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe was my go to morning bowl. Was. Now Chelsea Morning fills that place on the roster. This tobacco is perfect for starting the day. It has notes of mild spice and a wonderful creamy smoke. About midway through the bowl, a toasty nuttiness emerges and completely compliments a nice hot cup of coffee.

This tobacco is best enjoyed by smoking it slowly. This blend is made for lazy morings. I am just thankful that I have a long commute so I can fully appreciate the nuances of this blend.

Pipe Used: Bob White Billiard, Mastro De Paja Bent Apple

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe.

The red Virginia has some tangy fruitiness, and a little earth. The bright Virginias are grassy with a touch of citrus. The Cyprian latakia is smoky, woody sweet, but is a minor player. The perique is also a minor ingredient, being more raisiny than spicy. The Oriental/Turkish are floral, woody, slightly sweet and sour, indicating that Izmir is one of the tobaccos, and noticeable in every puff, sometimes dominating the other components. It's more of a dry than sweet smoke with a little creaminess, but there's a few harsh spots here and there after the half way point, and I'm a moderate puffer. Has a slightly more than mild nic-hit. Won't bite. Burns clean and slow with some relights necessary, and leaves a little moisture at the finish. Has a little inconsistency in flavor, and a decent after taste. Almost an all day smoke. More of a two and a half star blend, mainly because the individual tobaccos don't seem work together as well as they should. Some reviewers suggest it improves with age, but my observations are from a freshly opened tin.

G. L. Pease - Chelsea Morning. Every so often I'll open a tin or pouch of tobacco and it will leave feeling me pretty much incredulous at its brilliance! That's the exact situation here; it took me only one puff to realise the eminence of this blend! To give more detail, I'll start at the beginning:

As I've said before, I often find the terms used to describe tobacco can be a touch misleading, the main culprits being ribbon and broken flake. To me, this falls just below being a broken flake; the tobacco has all been broken so there's no big pieces of flake in there but it's still a lot coarser than many ribbon cut blends. To me, the un-lit aroma seems pretty mellow. I can identify a very subtle plum note and maybe a slight smokiness but other than those I don't find it to be at all potent. Moisture, ahh, the moisture; absolutely PERFECT. This means I can fill and smoke immediately; that brings me nicely onto part two, the smoke!

This lights superbly; I just use a quick touch from my normal flame lighter, a jet flame would be completely superfluous. Then it gives a great and steady burn. The flavour blows my mind. It has to be one of the most perfectly rounded blends I've had. I don't find that the Latakia hogs the playing field at all. It gives a pleasing cedar/wood note but it doesn't make any other taste redundant with it's smokiness. The way the Perique has been included is interesting. I feel it's used more like a garnish, it just picks the smoke up a bit with zing! The texture of the smoke is beautiful. It's very smooth, thick, and creamy. The pleasure is embellished by a cool temperature and zero tongue bite. The nicotine amount is about medium, for a morning smoke I think some folks would prefer something a little more formidable in the N department!

I can't sing the praises of this remarkable blend high enough. The smoking qualities are impeccable from Chelsea morning. Perfectly rounded, cool, and creamy. Highly recommended.

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Levent Meerschaum Claw

Purchased From: Gauntleys

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)

A mixture that could be smoked all day, an English that borders on the "Balkan" as the Orientals are very present. I like the creamy, slightly sweet and sour notes that are accompanied by a woodsy taste. The Perique picks up as the bowl progresses with more peppery accents. Overall a symphony of flavors, that is never in your face and never dull either.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (102)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The first time I tried Chelsea Morning I was outdoors and it was windy, and I was in an agitated state of mind. I puffed way too hard and wrecked my mouth in short order, wound up clearing my throbbing palate with a bowl of Astley's 109! My next experience with the CM was much better, and the more I've smoked it since, the better I like it. If I have the time, this stuff really scratches my tobacco itch.

IMO, CM might be a natural choice for medium English smokers curious about the "GLP Mystique". CM almost fits an English profile, after all, to which it tastefully adds a few GLP bells and whistles. The deep-but-still-piquant tin note tells a lot, since the smoke follows suit, except the Latakia, although prominent in the tin, fades softly (but never departs) behind the Orientals and the Perique when CM is smoked, while the VAs run the show. I prefer to dry CM just a little, to best realize its complexity. It handles, loads, lights and burns down without fuss or bother. If one takes one's time, there are overtones galore, and a few undertones, as well. Subtle incense and exotic spices abound, but never at the cost of the first quality tobaccos. The range of VAs is perfect for this blend, providing and enhancing both the upper and the lower "registers" and making just the right balance of sweet, sour and spicy from the lot. The Orientals are slightly mossy/musty, and their spices are well-melded with those from the Perique, which also adds some fig. The Lat is simple and simply tasty. Though it's rather subdued, it's always present, and I would not discount its presence. The soft, lingering aftertaste is aftermath, only sweeter. Pushed, CM can bite, for sure, so don't push it. All the same, with practice it is possible to summon more flavor with longer pulls without penalty. Strength is medium, and flavors can range from medium toward full. I like the room note quite a lot, but YMMV, due to substantial Perique.

All considered, there are plenty of good reasons why so many (including moi) have named Chelsea Morning as a favorite.

Update, 11-16-15: I've lately been smoking CM from a tin dated 01-2015. It was very dry in the tin, with the color and consistency of ground particle board. Although the appearance is off-putting, it smokes and tastes fine, albeit it's not the same as earlier production, being less fruity, with fewer low notes. Oh well, plus ca change...

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: young and old

Purchased From: Liberty Tobaccos

This is one of the best English type mixtures I’ve tried in years. Zesty, smooth, full of flavour, it is a very inspiring smoke. None of the ingredients overshadow the other. It is a very skilful combination where every element seems to hold its own ground. It is also one of those mixtures that better help understand the difference between a Balkan and an English blend. The former seem to me stronger or heavier in the Latakia/Oriental department, whereas in the latter there is a more effective interplay of the Virginias.

By no means a strong or overwhelming tobacco, it still packs enough strength to make it a medium smoke, suitable for any time of the day. It comes in broken flake form, with thick chunks of dark and light brown leaf, with an occasional blackish hue here and there. It is easy to pack (but don’t press it too hard) and it lights up perfectly. For my palate, moisture is perfect. A slow burning, long lasting smoke, which has become one of my favourite English.

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Oscar

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: Joshua Ward

Similar Blends: Dunhill/Murray's London Mixture.

Alhaji Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alhaji (33)

This is a fine tobacco. Never a dull moment does it offer. For starting the day however, I'll stay with Dunhill's EMP because it is much milder and lighter. This is more complex and has deeper undertones, especially a punchier Perique content. It better fits my rotation as an afternoon/evening smoke. Right now, I am smoking it somewhere in West Africa where the time is 4pm (10am Eastern - New York time) and I am drinking a bottle of Guiness Stout. Perfect fit. Perfect mix.

Highly recommended for those who prefer a stronger mix of, should I say 'VaRienT', for Virginia-Oriental-Turkish (Balkan).

Light Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Light (7)

After a long break from pipe smoking I decided to revisit this old hobby and I'm now wondering why I left it for so long. Not wanting to make the same beginner mistake of smoking aromatics and suffering tongue bite I scoured this site until I narrowed my targets down. I used to smoke EMP as a first bowl of the day for a while but couldn't find anything to keep my interest. So hearing about CM as an alternative I gave it a try... and what a difference!

At first you are greeted with the classic English tones that one would expect but it doesn't take long before the different tobaccos start playing their roles. The first part of the bowl it's all about VA with a natural sweetness, nicely complemented by the orientals that give it some body. As you progress through the bowl, the perique starts to come through giving you that peppery hint while the ever so subtle sweetness subdues and plays a supporting role. So far only 2 relights were needed and I'll attribute that to me being a novice. Entering the 3rd and last part of the bowl, all flavours are harmonious but darker and more pronounce, there is no first fiddle here, all tobaccos are in alignment.

No gurgle, hardly any dottle, all smoked down to a powdery white ash. The tobacco was only dried for 10 minutes prior to loading the pipe.

So why is this better than EMP and why is this a great start as a morning pipe? Because sometimes less is more! While EMP is not a bad tobacco, to me it stays fairly one dimensional, a flat smoke. CM lets all the players have their say and then unites them in a very flavoursome smoke. Never pushing you in one direction but merely suggesting... is your next bowl latakia, or maybe an Vaper or would you like a nice balkan? It warms you up to what is to come, awakens your senses and invites you to think about the course of the day.

For those of you who are sensitive to lady N, do not worry. The nicotine delivery is as some have already pointed out very civilized. Smoke this one with a nice cup of coffee and if I may suggest, savour a small piece of dark (85%) chocolate with it. You will be amazed!

My new go to "pick me up" tobacco in the morning.

Pipe Used: Dunhill shell briar type 2

Age When Smoked: Young

Similar Blends: Dunhill Early Morning Pipe.

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is rapidly becoming one of my top favorites. I go to this when I'm in a contemplative mood, reading a book outdoors, etc. I would imagine that trying to balance out four different kinds of leaf must be difficult, and it feels like Pease got this exactly right. Almost every few puffs the flavor changes back and forth, keeping it incredibly interesting. I also find it a little less moist (or swampy??) than any other English I've had. It just seems less thick and oily, and more earthly and complex. I normally puff harder on English/Balkans than I do VAs, but this one I have to sip because it's so complex, and the Perique adds even more to that. This is fine, because the flavor is huge. Not too much of a certain leaf and not too little of it either. Right when I think there could be more Oriental, I begin tasting it again.

I can see this being great outdoors in the fall and winter. I just had in on a slightly rainy, cooler summer day commuting into work. Lovely.

Great stuff. One word description: Complex

Going back to edit this one to say that so far this is the best blend I've been able to pair with a cup of coffee. It's almost like it was designed with that in mind.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (84)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I make it a point never to review anything until I've had at least several bowls of a blend. It takes time to get to know a blend, especially since first impressions can be deceiving. I've known blends I loved the first bowl or two that turned out to be duds, and others I've hated the first couple of times that turned out to be treasured go-to blends.

I'm going to break that rule here. Last night at the monthly meeting of the Toronto Pipe Club we all sampled Pease's new release. You cannot get G L Pease in Canada, it must be shipped from elsewhere, so I was very grateful to have an opportunity to sample this so early in its release since I was looking forward to trying it -- it advertised itself as just the kind of blend I'd really enjoy. And, since I don't know when I'll be able to have another bowl of it, I couldn't wait to offer my first impression.

Straight to the point -- this is an exceptional blend! It's very seldom that a blend sings to me the way this one did on the first bowl. It's also very seldom that promotional copy lives up to itself. I cannot improve on what Mr Pease says of his own blend: "easy to pack, easy to smoke... The flavours are lively and engaging, with a subtle fruitiness and gentle smokiness that wakes up the palate. For those expecting a Latakia powerhouse, this ain't that. The Cyprus leaf provides depth and character; it's certainly present, but it's not the dominant voice... The orientals present in this one add another dimension to the smoke. It's really a delightful blend." I'll also add it's very creamy with a silky, rounded mouthfeel.

If I had one criticism, it's that, like all of his blends I've tried, it tasted a tad young and raw, and would benefit from some aging to smooth down its rough edges. But this is a niggling complaint given how exceptional it was in every other respect.

This is a major winner. It's only the fifth Pease blend I've tried, but it's handily the best. And it needn't be smoked only in the morning -- it would make a terrific all-day blend, too. I intend to always keep some on hand.

(Mind you, this is after only one bowl, and could be a misplaced infatuation. If my opinion changes after I get to know it better I will definitely be back for an update.)

MJG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MJG (16)

LEAF: A ribbon cut tobacco that seems more like a carefully broken flake than a traditional ribbon cut, can be broken up further if desired but I smoked it as is. Mottled and speckled gold through brow, with some nice dark Latakia scattered throughout.

TIN AROMA: Dark fruits, tangy and a little sweet, smells very fresh and vibrant for a blend with latakia, it is more a condiment than some of the heavier Lat blends out there, a sweet smokiness but nothing too campfire like. The perique pepper note is noticeable on top.

TASTE: As I have come to expect from blends of this calibre, it tastes much like it smells. The Va’s are at the front with the Orientals, fresh and grassy but still tangy and spicy. Apart from getting a good hit with the first light of the bowl, the Latakia largely lingers in the background proving good depth and body with a sweet, slightly woodsy smokiness that helps balance out the oriental tanginess that is present the whole way. The perique for me was on and off throughout the bowl, and as usual become more pronounced as you got further towards the bottom, with a perfect level of peppery spice to top everything off and tie it all together. Consistently creamy and complex, playing back and forth between the components the whole way with no single leaf overpowering the other. Extremely well balanced. This is an extremely satisfying, creamy, smokey blend that stays interesting the whole way without getting confusing or losing its way. The nicotine seems to creep up with the Perique as well and can be a bit surprising if you don’t look out. This really rewards a long smoke from a large bowl, slowly sipped and retrohaled.

SMOKEABILITY: As is tradition with Pease blends, tin moisture was perfect for me, cut was great. Lit up straight away and stayed lit very well, burnt down to a great ash with noting to spare. Burns cool and consistent the whole way and won’t be upset if you get a bit excited puffing away a bit aggressively, although it tastes better if you don’t.

SUMMARY: As with all other Pease blends I have smoked I cannot fault this. It’s like perfect English and a perfect VaPer rolled into one. Smokes like a dream, tastes even better. It’s like a more amazing version of EMP which is similar but not as complex, if you like that, this is worth a look. I usually gravitate towards more lat heavy blends, but this was a very welcome departure and shows how Latakia can, and should often be, just one of the players in a smoke and not the star. Very close to a perfect smoke for me.

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (111)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This blend is an English Style delight. It is an English blend that is robust, without being overwhelming the latakis, and the orientals delight, with the perique making a cameo appearance as the bowl is smoke to the end . Delightful in every way, I enjoy it every time I smoke it.

FenneckFox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FenneckFox (9)

Let me start off by saying that after a few tins of this, I think it may be my favorite blend currently. It is very complex. You can smoke two bowls back to back and notice different things. To me it seems to start off with a range of Virginia's, and they seem to be the main player but the stage is quickly shared by orientals and a light Latakia flavor. It slowly gets stronger and smokier as the bowl smokes down. All the while, remaining to have a sweet and slightly spicy note to it. You can focus in on different elements and notice them more if you concentrate. This is a very contemplative smoke. It can easily be an all day smoke. Nicotine level is never overpowering, even when I smoke two bowls back to back, yet it feels full. The smoke is creamy and just plain delicious. A great blend for people wanting to try Latakia blends. I could not think of a better way to start your day then a cup of coffee and a bowl of Chelsea Morning.

Pipe Used: All grades of briar, MM cobs

Age When Smoked: New and aged for a year.

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: EMP if you add complexity and deliciousness..

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)

What an awesome mixture!! I'm really starting to love G.L. Pease and his blends. This blend is so fragrant when smoked. In the tin you can smell the ripe tart and almost vinegar flavors of the red VAs, along with a earthy musty smell (good thing), accompanied by just a bit of smokeiness from the latakia along with a tiny amount of plums, spice and hay. The smoke is smooth and creamy and tastes of hay and tart virginias for the most part, but there are floral nuances and smokey notes from the latakia and orientals. Some spiciness tickles the back of the throat but ever so slightly...not as scratchy on the back of the throat or mouth like the dunhill blends. Even though I would call this a light english/lat blend it is also very deep and robust but elegant and light at the same time. Truly an amazing blend!

The more I smoke this the more I enjoy it. It's impressive how light and fragrant it is while being flavorful enough to be satisfying. It's very light on the latakia and I think is a perfect blend to smoke with your morning coffee (which is generally when I'll have a bowl).

Pipe Used: Corn Cob M.M.

Age When Smoked: 6 months aged

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Plumcake, Dunhill - Early Morning Pipe.

Cumarinophil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cumarinophil (105)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Tangy, smoky, spicy, sweet, a bit more refreshing than on the dark and deep side. It is easy to handle, complex in taste and I’m willing to say there are numerous layers of taste to explore; the smoker can chose what he/she likes to focus on. Full of flavor and really satisfying, medium on the spot to me. About half way through the bowl it becomes creamier and nuttier. I like Chelsea Morning best after I let the pre-opened tin sit for a couple of days, sometimes weeks. It is because of this blend that I described Dunhill EMP as a bit flat and undefined.

I’m not saying this is a blend like no other. I say this does fulfill the promise others have made maybe just a little better, especially to the more experienced pipers.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Never been a fan of Dunhill Early Morning: too heavy in nicotine (especially for a blend labeled as "Early Morning") and too dirty in taste. This GLPease blend, which I suppose is meant to a similar target audience, certainly fixes the dirty taste of the Dunhill blend (and is obviously made from better leaf), but still is a bit too strong for me in the heaviness department. Not that it's EXCEEDINGLY strong, mind you, but when I taste a glimpse of Latakia I want the full flavour... and with lighter flavoured blend I probably tend to overpuff to compensate, bringing along a nicotine hit (and at times bitterness, and not just a hint of it).

Anyway, if this kind of blend (Virginia + a pinch of Latakia) fits you, you should certainly enjoy it very much. Personally I question a bit the presence of Perique, which is not suited for such a blend in my book. And in any case, I seem to prefer the smoother/creamier experience offered by Piccadilly when (it happens rarely) I want a blend with just a hint of Latakia.

Ayway, objectively, it is a quality tobacco and the slightly thick cut is fantastic, offering a very nice burning rate and a dry smoking experience.

Pipe Used: Castello, Dunhill

Similar Blends: Dunhill Early Morning.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Yet another blend I've mixed feelings about. On the one hand, the taste of the tobacco is superb (if not too full), and the side stream, well, it's outstanding, but, for me, this blend packs such a nicotine wallop, it sent my head spinning and stomach churning. Also, my throat paid a heavy price—this blend smoked harsh and rough for me, it wasn't a pleasant experience (I wonder if it was the perique in this that was responsible for that?).

Chelsea Morning is really full of both the things I love about pipe smoking, and of the things I hate about pipe smoking. If your sensitive to high levels of nicotine and really full tasting tobacco, bypass this one, if not, you'll probably like it a lot. I'll split the difference and give it a solid two stars.

Pipe Used: I can't remember

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Uruss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uruss (10)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not a big Latakia smoker, but I continue to try different ones hoping that I'll like one of them. I've finally found one that's really enjoyable. It took the second bowl for it to really click with me.

for me, It starts off with the Latakia "smokeyness" at the start and revisits throughout the bowl, especially when relighting. The virginias really begin to come through at mid-bowl all the way till the end. near the end is where I started picking up that natural sweetness from the Virginias. I have not been able to pick up any Perique yet, but I'm sure it's there somewhere.

all in all, this is a very good blend, I think the Dark Lord has opened my eyes to the Latakia world. I'm not ready to Lat-bombs, but I can definitely appreciate flavor that Lat lends to blends, if only in small doses for now.

If you're looking to dip your hands in the Lat blends, I would highly suggest giving Chelsea Morning a try. you just might find that it's for you!

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)

Pease Pilgrimage Reviews (a tasting journey through every GLPease blend) Tin date: 2/18/10

Let me warn you ahead of time that vile, disgusting stuff like this should not even be allowed on the market. Run. Fast. Away from that mouse! Away from those Pease etailers and retailers! Get as far from them as you can! You are getting very sleepy.....YOU MUST NOT BUY ANY MORE CHELSEA MORNING! BWAH HA HA HA HA!

Well, just in case you're still here...

Appearance: A mottled, multi-colored blend, including some little flecks, some striated slices, and some lumber. I pulled a stick out of my tin, but the variety of forms and shapes in the blend is interesting to me. Very easy to pack, perfect humidity (or lack thereof, since I find most of Greg's blends on the dry side, just the way I like 'em).

Aroma: The tin aroma is delicious. Think Abingdon or Westminster but with much less Latakia. The same characteristics are there, but the smokiness is much more subdued.

Pipe 1: Meer Billiard Pipe 2: GBD pot Pipe 3: Stanwell Vario Billiard

Flavor: In a nutshell, Chelsea Morning absolutely puts Early Morning Pipe to shame. There is a reason why everyone is drooling on themselves over this one. If you're on the fence over this blend, it's time to jump down and cowboy up! Fork over the ten bucks and step into the arena of this delicious, destined-to- be-a-classic, perfectly balanced, medium English blend. If you're even remotely interested in english blends you owe it to yourself to try it.

Starts off great, ends up delicious. If there is one word I would use to describe Chelsea Morning it would be balance. None of the ingredients vie for attention, all of them contribute to the exceptional end result. The very definition of symbiosis, where the individual parts work for the benefit of the whole.

Even though very light, there is enough Latakia in there for lovers of Latakia (like me) to enjoy, there is enough complexity to keep lovers of contemplative smoking interested, and there is enough flavor and strength to keep it interesting. I am definitively NOT a fan of mild smokes, and this one falls squarely in the medium part of the spectrum. Amp up the temperature, and you can easily cross over into the low end of full-flavored.

If you concentrate, you can pick out some of the flavors. The Virginia sweetness and foundation are noticeable. The oriental leaf is is perfect proportion. The Latakia gives a noticeable does of smokiness and smoothness, and the Perique actually is noticeable as a pungent, very slightly sourness to balance the smoky and sweet.

When Greg hits is right, he knocks it out of the park. I used to live near Chicago, so you Cubs fans will know about the buildings beyond center field where the locals gather on the rooftops to watch the game. That's where Mr. Pease directed this one, except the ball kept traveling right on into Lake Michigan.

Four stars, of course.

Wait a minute, I meant NEGATIVE four. Yeah, negative four stars. Vile stuff. Run away. Leave it for me to dispose of safely and properly!

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (165)

Oh my God, it's sweet! A slightly sweet English that has no additives I feel.

Yes an exciting way to light your first rousing smoke of the day, with tea, coffee, bacon, biscuits or whatever.

You can definitely sense the latakia, though it is not heavy in the mix. It's a little sharp at times, and this is apparently not Louisiana Perique but the new Acadian Perique added.

I have smoked it all day at times -- one bowl in morning, one in afternoon, and one in evening for over a week. Nothing else. The tin is about empty. I used the same pipe (new Peterson natural). Sure my first 10 bowls may not have been right on the tobacco flavor due to break in time, but the next dozen or more are.

A little like Dan's Gordon Pym, but lighter and a sweet note. Not at all like Dunhill's EMP, but no attempt is made to say that it is.

A thick ribbon, broken cake type of cut, that burns well.

Not heavy but intoxicating all the more. A great treat for all English puffers. Excelsior.

Armac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Armac (10)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Pleasant

A previous reviewer said this blend sings and I couldn't agree more. I dicovered it by accident. I was in Barclay Pipe and Tobacco in Columbus recently and a fellow there, knowing I'd smoked Early Morning Pipe and several other English blends years ago, suggested I try it. I've since become primarily a Virginia or Virginia-Burley smoker, but this blend has all the attributes that could change that.

It is a marvelous smoke with rich taste and aroma. It smokes without a bite to a medium gray ash and is one of the few blends in my over 50 years as a pipe smoker that leaves me wanting more. For those of you who might remember Rattray's Red Rapparee of the 1970s and before, you will find it similar but perhaps a bit richer. Highly recommended.

JuanOrez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JuanOrez (17)

This one will improve with age for sure. However, the tin I smoked was about 1 year in the cellar and it was still too sharp for my taste. I will jar it and revisit down the road.

Bluefin_piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluefin_piper (2)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Another excellent Tobacco from G. L. Pease. I would give this 3.5 stars. I have been a fan of Maltese Falcon and decided to give Chelsea Morning a try for something lighter and what a treat. Upon opening the tin you definitely smell the smokiness from the Latakia but also have the subtle sweetness from Virginia and to me I also got a slight note of spice from the Perique. The cut is a nice large ribbon cut which you can break up a bit but I had no problem loading. Out of the tin I found the moisture level perfect and it burned well with little need for relight and burned down to a nice white ash. The smoke itself was really enjoyable, you get the Latakia and Orientals up front but they are so smooth with no harsh bite at all. I got the Perique spice especially on retro hale but in general everything blended well into a complex but light smoke that went perfect with morning coffee. Towards the end of the bowl I did get some more sweetness from the Virginia and the after taste after smoking was really pleasant with more sweetness, almost caramel, vs. heavy fragrant Latakia you might get from other heavy blends. No tongue bite whatsoever and at least in my Peterson 106 Billiard this smoked perfectly and cool. I will definitely be putting this into my regular rotation. If you are a fan of G.L. Pease blends than no doubt you will enjoy the added complexity that Chelsea Morning brings to the table vs. other lighter morning blends.

Pipe Used: Peterson 2017 St. Patrick's Day 106

Age When Smoked: Three months

Purchased From: www.tobaccopipes.com

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Squadron Leader (though more complex and with a spicier note from the Perique).

Bulldog8483 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bulldog8483 (12)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A phenomenal morning pipe tobacco that I enjoy anytime of the day. Light, tons a flavor and consistent throughout the entire bowl. You really taste each component, but some are more in the background than others. Has a Latakia smokiness, but not in a traditional way. It's lighter and more interesting rather than right in your face. The pipe I smoke this in really makes a difference to me so be sure to try out different types of pipes of you happen to not like it initially before passing judgement. I found good luck when using a pot style pipe (a Savinelli 115 ks to be exact). In short, I can't say enough about the blend for what it is. 4 enthusiastic stars. Give it a try, I strongly doubt you'll regret it.

Pipe Used: Best is lot style pipes I've found

Purchased From: Online retailer

Gordon Tavistock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gordon Tavistock (12)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

EDIT JANUARY 2018:

The more I smoke this, the more I like it. The balance between orientals and sweet, sweet Virginias is just perfect, and the touch of latakia elevates it all. It still has a tendency to burn hot, but I also find that I am extra sensitive to bite from any tobacco. If I smoke it in a wide bowl, avoid packing it to tight and smoke it very slowly (preferably on a bench in a nice park, where the pale spring sun feels warm in the nippy air), it will be divine.

ORIGINAL REVIEW, JULY 2017:

This was the very first G. L. Pease blend I ever tried, and although I'm not an experienced pipe smoker, I immediately understood why people are applauding these blends so much.

Complex but easy going. If you want to, you can chase tastes forever. Oriental musty, Perique peppery and very refreshing refreshing, with the comforting sweetness of the Virginias coming through. The latakia is there and provides some of its smoky softness: there's too little of it to overpower the other components, but just enough for you not to miss it. This blend is, as the name suggests, a perfect morning smoke, but I often choose this blend at other times of the day too, provided I have time to sit down, smoke it properly and thoroughly enjoy it. This is one of the blends that I really enjoy, and which still intrigues and challenges me although I have smoked it quite a lot recently.

The smoke will stay delicious throughout the bowl, at least as long as you smoke it slowly: this beauty will bite you and ruin the rest of the smoke if you puff too hard or too fast. (As a fairly new pipe smoker, I have used the blend as an incentive for practising good smoking technique, as the gain of smoking it properly is utter enjoyment and the punishment for being hasty is corresponding amounts of pain and irritation.)

The tobacco will IMO need some drying out before the pipe is loaded. For me, this blend doesn't require any more relights than most other blends do. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, at least when I smoke it in my Comoy's prince.

Pipe Used: Comoy's 337c, Savinelli Grezza 104, a cob

Age When Smoked: 1.5 years old tin

Purchased From: Gauntleys of Nottingham

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

The components of this blend come together quite nicely. This might just be the best English blend out there. This is another great blend from Mr Pease that I will keep in stock. You really can't go wrong with it. The nicotine level is just right and the moisture level, even at the opening of the tin, is just perfect for lighting up. Highly recommended.

J. Ward Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J. Ward (37)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Rich and creamy billows of smoke that gift delicious flavor, G.L. Pease's Chelsea Morning is masterfully blended and is testament to the man's genius and skill. The Orientals are woody and slightly floral, working in tandem with earthy sweet and red Virginias. The Perique lends notes of plum and an undercurrent of ripe red fruit, and build into a little spice mid bowl. The Latakia is mostly an after thought contributing a bit of creamy smoky flavor. This broken flake / ribbon is blended such a way that the flavors meld into a singular flavor, but are distinguishable all at the same time. A wonderfully complex smoke. Take your time with this one and you shall be rewarded. Moisture is perfect. As commented by Tantric, be careful not to pack too tightly. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Trevi 616 KS

Age When Smoked: Less than a year

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (39)

I think what sells me on most Pease tobaccos is Greg's evocative tin descriptions and blend names. As a coffee addict, when a blender adds "morning" to a blend name and makes statements like "it's a great bowl to accompany the morning cup," I can't very well stay away. "Chelsea Morning" made me think of a Joni Mitchell song lost back in the late 60's somewhere, I had to get over that. Being that the series is called "Old London" I have to assume that this Chelsea is referring to Chelsea, London which at one time had a reputation as London's bohemian quarter, the haunt of artists, radicals, painters and poets. So with that kind of a name I tried to pick apart Greg's brain. I believe he was going for a type of morning blend that we've all become familiar with, but as the name suggests a morning blend with much complexity. In the tin it has a rich and strong smell of leather and maybe the smallest hint of dark fruits. The process used to marry all these flavors together makes a difference I'm sure, but it does make packing the pipe a bit contrary. I have to pick apart a lot of the ribbon flakes and find a bowl large enough to accommodate, but its undoubtedly worth the hassle. Once lit it's a slow burning affair with billows of fluffy white clouds that have an almost incense like aroma to those around you. The taste as aforementioned is very complex. Its a very strong tasting tobacco without being overwhelming. Some sweetness and spice and a creaminess to the latakia (this description always intrigues me). It changes often and is hard to put in to words. In the end I can honestly say that yes, it does go well with the morning cup and I have a feeling it will be a mainstay around my place for years to come.

Pipe Used: Several

Age When Smoked: Fresh and aged about a year

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes and Smokingpipes.com

Similar Blends: Dunhill EMP.

Lawyertodd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lawyertodd (6)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Sorry, old chaps, this one fell flat, in my book. Lacked the personality I require in an English/Balkan that I need to taste the tartness.

Pipe Used: JHW

Purchased From: De La Concha NYC

beercritic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beercritic (33)

I'll revisit this in a few months to see how it ages/agrees with my tastes before deciding if I'm going to cellar some. For some reason the Pease that contains Perique & Latikia seem odd. The exception being Quiet Nights, I've cellared 7 of the 1/2 pound tins, absolutely love that stuff. (Monster sale, $24 per tin). CM is certainly far better than EMP, which I quit after slugging through a single tin not much there. Abingdon, Triple Play, Sextant, Gaslight, & Westminster all solidly made my rotation. The Pease that agrees with my palate are wonderful tobaccos.

Pipe Used: Meer & cob

Kunsan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kunsan (76)

This is a very high quality tobacco, with a deep creaminess and a spicey top note nicely blended. The thick ribbons can make it slightly difficult to light, and care is needed to get it smoking nicely. Once lit properly it produces a wonderful blend of spice and creaminess, the spicey note gradually disappearing. After a few smokes this one becomes quite moreish and puts many other tobaccos to shame. I personally think it's slightly too strong for an early morning smoke, but during the rest of the day and in the evening it's a real pleasure. The smoking experience and taste is addictive, and I find myself reaching for the tin again almost as soon as a pipeful has been finished. This is a wonderful, complex and satisfying smoke.

Palermo09 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Palermo09 (21)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This is my first GL Pease blend, a blender that I have had much anticipation to try. I have to say that I have never been more surprised with a tobacco as related to what the description of the tin says. I could not smell any Latakia on the tin note, to me it smells like a typical VaPer. It also smokes like a VaPer, however the orientals are dominant along with the perique. There was really no hint of latakia while smoking it either. The flavor and nicotine level were both quite strong and enjoyable. I think this blend would be more enjoyed by fans of perique rather than someone looking for a traditional English blend. Over all a nice blend.

Pipe Used: Alfred Baier Freehand

Purchased From: BnB Tobacco

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this one after going on a little Pease binge, this was one of the ones available that I had yet to sample so decided to dip my toe in it's veritable pond.

The tin note I found is a strange one, it strikes me as being of engine oil and meat, it reminded me of mechanics having a bacon sandwich while on a lunch break as tools lie across the garage floor beside a dismantled engine. The tobacco, as always, has rich darkly coloured browns with a few flecks of lighter notes dashing it nicely, I always love the colours Mr Please makes his tobacco. Packing is easy, in spite of some chunky ribbons and so is the lighting. The flavour is a mild one, the latakia is evident early on but is far from dominant as hints of fruit and more than a generous garnish of cream begin to kick in later.

This is a very mellow relaxing smoke that is just pure enjoyment, a good all day smoke, though I found myself smoking it more in the afternoon. It's more like some light Mozart than some rousing Tchaikovsky. Not one for determined lat-heads perhaps, but one for everyone should like it. Me, I love the stuff. Thank you again Mr Pease.

Purchased From: Gauntley's of Nottingham

Polaris82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Polaris82 (22)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Chelsea morning; the little sister to Quiet nights. Where quiet nights is anything but quiet(in my opinion great for parties and get togethers) This is a mild English, and just as the name states, this blend is good for the quiet and slower moments of life. The latakia is not the bold latakia of Brebbia #9, but a much milder leaf. Has a rich earthy smell in the tin. This gets excellent with age and 1-2 years is highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Ropp Okay'

Age When Smoked: Tin Date 2010

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

pipesofpeace Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesofpeace (9)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

CM is the blend i like the less from the Pease`s works. I´ve smoked several bowls in several pipes but for some reason i can`t get stuck with this one. Put it to cellar for a while and then i´ll review again. So far, nothing special for me.

USVI sailor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
USVI sailor (8)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Purchased a tin about a year ago. Stuck it in my pipe cabinett and forgot about it. While doing some reorganization found it and tried it. The aroma in the tin was fantastic - I could smell the perique. It was a little damp so I set it out overnight to dry. Lightly rubbed it out with my fingers and stuffed in my pipe. To my delight this stuff is really good. Burned well and was tasty all the way to the bottom. I was doing some sail repair and smoked it while outside in the cockpit - didn't have that grassy taste a lot of virginia based tobaccos do when smoked out of doors. Definitely will get put on my "approved" list. For a similar comparison - Frogmorton on the Bayou is close.

Llewellyn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Llewellyn (9)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Have smoked this fine tobacco for several months now. Smooth morning and all-day smoke. Room note and taste is like Penzance light!

2014 10 19 Have stopped smoking this as more and more it has tasted unpleasantly sour and bitter to my tongue, although my colleagues still prefer this tobacco over many of the others I have moved to.

Pipe Used: standard to large

Purchased From: Cupojoes

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)

Pop the top to find a pleasant English aroma with nice latakia tones, on top of the funky, ripe cheese of earthy Perique. The balance of aromas is amazing. Tangy, smoky, savory, delicious scents blend flawlessly in the tin aroma of Chelsea Morning.

Packs nice - rub it out just a little, burns well.

Sweet Virginia background supports the smoky tar of the Latakia, and the very nice subtle floral flavors of the Orientals. The Perique is faint in the smoke, but the effect it has on this already fine medium English blend is balancing and warming. New leather, cigar boxes, feed grain and creosote. I find this stuff very satisfying. It's cool and damn tasty.

Another favorite for my list. Masterfully Done !

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (108)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

This along with Piccadilly, another blend from Pease, are among my favorite blends to smoke in the mid morning with a cup of coffee, although I will just as easily smoke this one at night. It has a nice leathery tin not upon cracking the seal, and the smoke is best described I think as a wonderful interplay of VA and Latakia with a hint of Perique. I really enjoyed this blend and smoked my first tin straight through within a few weeks even while I had a set of samplers from a mailout to get through. This blend was an instant classic for me, try it with a good cup of strong jo, you won't be disappointed!

This has become a long standing favorite of mine, it is my #1 go to tobacco, I have never bought an 8oz tin for myself until now, and this is the one, I never want to run out of Chelsea Morning and if all the other blends disappeared and I could only stock up on one, I would be content to smoke this for the rest of my life by itself.

mskywalker2000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mskywalker2000 (11)
Strong Strong Very Full Overwhelming

Not sure about this one. I frankly do not like the taste of it. My wife commented on the smoke saying it smelled 'like a wet dog'.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (70)

The balence of Latakia, Orientals, VA/Per is perfect. I agree it is a good morning smoke but can be enjoyed all day. This is one of my favorite blends and have already started to cellar a few tins. I usully now add a few tins in each m order to stash away for a rainy day. When I want a bit more latakia I like the Quite Nights but this is in m estimation the best of the GLP line...and that says alot since GLP is my favorite blender.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (51)
Mild Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Chelsea Morning now vies with Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe (of which I've got just a little left) for my go-to morning smoke. The difference is that I smoke CM at any time of the day. I can't tell you what's so right about this blend that made it shoot to the top of the English list, but I will just say: perfect balance of elements that are imho among the most difficult to balance well, even satisfactorily. CM pulled the English/Balkan blends back into my rotation when I was about to declare my excursion into Virginias and VaPer a permanent proposition. I still love VAs and VaPers, but now I've got enough CM to ensure that it will remain a fixture in my rotation. So, balance gave me balance.

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (76)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I had high hopes for Chelsea Morning and ordered an 8oz can from 4Noggins solely on the positive reviews here. First impressions, while seldomly accurate, were a bit disappointing for me as I could taste quite a lot of a liqorice/anise flavour added to the blend, which lingered in the mouth for quite a long time. On top of that, it was stronger than expected but did not have a lot of body. But the presentation is immaculate, nicely rubbed out pressed tobacco and I feel it will improve if left alone for a while. So this I will do and report in a few months time.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (74)

I found this blend to be a little rough. Definitely a benefactor of the Pease mystique. Morning smoke? Way too rough for that. Others have stated that it's too young and needs some age but still gave it four stars, again Pease mystique at work, I mean really, it can't be both. Westminster is a way better smoke, morning, noon or night.

don1688 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
don1688 (27)

Edit April 13, 2010:

I know, "smoke it slow for better flavor", but it is a MUST for CM. The flavor is totally different. If a large amount of smoke is a must for you when smoking, I think you'll miss out on a great one of a kind tobacco. I have also found lighter packing to help also bring out the oriental nuances of CM.

original review March 5, 2010:

Complex is an understatement!

This has a beautiful flavor throughout. I can not tell you that the first third is this and the middle is that...it seems way to complex for that, to me. I sense, what I believe, as a blend playing together as well as anyone could hope for in a blend. The individual components could not be moved one little bit or the whole sum would be "off". This is what I believe makes this a true artisan blend.

Complexity. Does that mean that the parts must weave in and out and say “I'm virgina and oriental leaf or I'm Latakia” and then move away in mystery; components singing alone and switching back-and-forth throughout the smoke? Or does it mean that each of the parts make a perfect combination that gives you a wonderful smoke from start to finish that cannot be described? This blend is the latter.

Smokiness is always deep in the background, but always present and the “rest” meld so wonderfully that I have no idea which component I taste! It took me a while to accept this as fact but now that I have, I understand truly how complex a blend may be.

What is going to be in the coming years as this ages? What I can tell you is that it will probably be an almost magical transformation from deeply complex to deeply complex and…I have no idea what can become of Chelsea Morning.

Complexity has a price. It takes much longer to “find” the blend. We could miss out on a gem if not given the right time. Some of us don't want to devote a lot of effort to a tobacco, and there is nothing wrong there. But please, if it's not easily accepted at first, try again and you will probably find a blend that will be in your pipe for years to come. This is a masterpiece. And, thanks Mr. Pease for helping me find another level in pipe tobacco.

Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (37)

Update, February 2014: I'm smoking a nearly four year old tin right now, and it's amazing. All my notes below still apply: the Virginias and orientals providing most of the texture, with some perique and latakia peeking out above and below, with the latakia building in intensity as it goes on. But I think of this as basically a heavily-condimented VA blend, for the most part.

I also find it pipe-dependent. Want to taste more latakia? Smoke it in a pipe you usually smoke a fuller latakia blend in. Want the see where the perique fits in? Smoke it in a VA/perique pipe.

And as regards the age: things are starting to meld very nicely after four years. Very much looking forward to seeing what happens in the future here.

Go buy some. Smoke a tin immediately, and crack another in five years. Thank me later, preferably by sending me aged Chelsea Morning.

March 2010: I'm a big fan of Pease's blends and especially his less-full English blends, like Ashbury and Kensington. I thought this would be more of the same, but bought a tin anyway.

The presentation is really great, and I love that Pease has been favoring this broken-flake form factor for several of his blends lately. It gives options as to how to smoke it. I leave mine more or less intact, as I do with Fillmore and Embarcadero.

I want to note, too, that even though my tin was less than a week old and a bit more moist than most of what I smoke, the burn qualities are generally very good. Perhaps I've just refined my smoking technique, but I find Pease blends sometimes fight staying lit. Personally, it doesn't bother me having to relight, but it is nice to have a lower maintenance tobacco, and this is it.

I've been smoking this pretty much all day. For a breakfast blend, I'm often not in the mood for latakia, but because that flavor is just one of many here, it doesn't turn me off. This smoke seems to me very deep with a lot going on. But to me, the big success of this blend is that all four flavors mix together and you don't get a bit that's a hint of latakia, and then a bit of perique, and so on. The perique provides a hint of spice, the latakia the underlying smoke, and then the virginias and orientals seem to provide most of the middle work. It's remarkably consistent top to bottom, perhaps getting a little fuller as it goes on, as with a cigar.

I can't say enough nice things about this blend. Highly recommended, and one of Pease's best.

sportspipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sportspipe (5)

God bless Greg Pease!

That being said I'll get down to it.

I don't claim to have the most refined palate when it comes to tasting tobaccos. However, I can certainly appreciate the delicate nuances of this fine blend. This stuff packs well, lights easy and stays lit. Burns even and can easily be an all day smoke for those who love a mild English.

I am an English lover and tend to be rather critical of those blends. I smoked my first bowl full while doing nothing but evaluating the blend. After that, made a nice cup of tea, grabbed the paper and puffed leisurely enjoying it in my complacency.

I'm going to be friends with this stuff for years to come and am officially putting it in my regular rotation.

If you love or even like English blends and haven't tried this yet, TRY IT!

Happy Holidays to all!

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (47)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This guy has hit a mark with this one. It is not like that other morning blend that has been around for so long and is now gone, but it hits the same mark and it is just wonderful. Buying more cans right away. Try it if you like a good smoke with your coffee or tea in the morning.

Pipe Used: Charatan, Don Carlo, Dunhill, Simmons

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes, Mars

Similar Blends: Dunhill Early Morning.

tschenyinkoh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tschenyinkoh (51)

If you want a morning smoke, the following blend will be perfect: Samuel Gawith - Squadron Leader or skiff; G. L. Pease - Piccadilly (Classic Collection), Kensington (Classic Collection); if you prefer a little bit stronger, head up to Drucquer & Sons - Blairgowrie, Samarra (Original Mixtures) or Blackpoint (Classic Collection).

Why don't Chelsea Morning fit me?

Like Beer said: "Personally I question a bit the presence of Perique, which is not suited for such a blend in my book. And in any case, I seem to prefer the smoother/creamier experience offered by Piccadilly when (it happens rarely) I want a blend with just a hint of Latakia."

Like Jimlinks said: there are a few harsh spots here and after that the halfway point( my note: cellar can change this ); the individual tobaccos don't seem work together as well as they should.

In other words, compared to Dunhill early morning, it is far better; but with distracting Perique, inharmonious ingredient and a little too much strength for a morning smoke, for me it is a two and a half stars rating tobacco.

Enjoy + Never to buy → Two and A Half Stars Rating

Age When Smoked: six months

Purchased From: 2oz tin from smokingpipes

Similar Blends: just a weakened Quiet Night.

Circle H Brothers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Circle H Brothers (8)

I've been looking for an early/all day English Blend for quite some time now. GLP's Quiet Nights is my go-to English as the sun gets lower in the sky, but with a morning cup, it can be a bit much. I'm not a huge fan of the "other" Morning blend, so when I came across Chelsea Morning, it sounded like it might check all of the boxes and so I put my order in and anxiously awaited what could be my all-day English blend to arrive.

Upon opening the tin, the Latakia is apparent, but subdued. Which I considered a good thing. The Virginias were more on the fresh hay/citrus spectrum, and I thought that would be great for a smoke early in the morning.

The cut is a chunky ribbon, but easy enough to pack and light. The mechanics are spot on and I have no issues smoking it down to the heel with little or no relights.

The taste. Here is where things get a little...complicated. In the right pipe, this blend is astounding. Sweet, fragrant and complex with flavors and aromas of incense, citrus, honey and spice. However, in the wrong pipe, it leans towards harsh and acrid, and you get none of the sweet Virginia flavors to balance out some of the more assertive condiment tobaccos.

I have found that I need to smoke this in a pipe with a tall, narrow bowl rather than a wide, shallow bowl. I like most of my English blends in wide open bowls in order to taste all of the component leaves, but I like to smoke my Virginia blends in taller bowls that let the sweeter leaves shine and let the condiment leaves play a supporting role. Because Chelsea Morning is such a complex blend, but still relies on the Virginias as its foundation, I treat it more as a Virginia blend rather than an English.

Once I figured out this little idiosyncrasy, I have really enjoyed the blend. And I dare say that if you aged this blend for a year or two, it would be a transcending experience as an all day smoke.

I will say that I get more nicotine off of this blend that some others, so I generally like to have something in my stomach in the morning before lighting it up.

Overall, I really like the blend and enjoy it very much. I docked it a star simply because it is so finicky about the type of pipe that it prefers. Sometimes the ideal pipe is not ready in the rotation, so that eliminates Chelsea Morning from the lineup for that day. However, I still recommend trying it and possibly aging it to see if that rounds out some its persnickety characteristics as the Virginias continue to age and sweeten.

Pipe Used: Bulldog, Canadian, Dublin, Pot, Egg

Age When Smoked: New from Tin

Similar Blends: EMP, but much more complex.

1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1979 (62)

G. L. Pease - Chelsea Morning

This one strikes me as similar to C&D's Plantation Evening although here the flavors are more melded together, likely by a difference of processing.  A lighter english blend where the different flavors tend towards mild but certainly not boring. There is some creaminess and spice but often the mouthfeel strikes me as dusty, but not in a bad way.  A good english blend at a time when you may not want a hard core latakia blast or oriental blast.  Pretty well balanced.  It can turn a bit ashy in the bottom half, I think going at it too hard may be a contributing factor there.  The particular cut lends well to smoldering rather than all out combustion so these bowls tend to last awhile.  It is a blend that can show you different nuances of flavor and mouthfeel at different times, probably also owing to it's cut.  Despite being a worthy and high quality blend, I don't feel particularly strongly about this one.  But it's worth three stars at the least.

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (44)

My 2oz tin did not have any internal paper parceling (manufacturing hickup?) and was also a bit drier than I like. The tin note is fabulous and the cut looks great - though not necessary the best for packing/smoking. This blend is largely (bright) Virginia based with a smattering of Latakia and Oriental tobaccos and a touch of Perique. The blend lit and smoked well with a mild but tasty flavor with a subtle topping of some sort Those looking for a rich full flavored tobacco will will find this one a touch mild. Further, the Virginias appear to be quite young, so this blend will certainly improve with age.

Age When Smoked: 1 yr

idbowman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
idbowman (26)

I've really come to enjoy this blend, though it wasn't "love at first puff."

In the tin, the aroma that comes through is mellow (which shouldn't be mistaken for mild). There is the stewed dark fruit that you'd expect, plus some tang and smokiness from the oriental and latakia leaf. The cut itself is hard to pin down - chunkier and less uniform than a ribbon, but certainly finer and less chunky than a broken flake. This can make it a bit of a challenge to pack perfectly, but paying a little extra attention to that makes it easy enough.

As I said, this was not love at first puff. Immediately after cracking the tin and packing a bowl it was very disappointing. I couldn't understand the hype - I got an early whiff of latakia which become largely flavorless and by the time I was 1/4 of the way through the bowl it was like I was smoking cardboard with a hint of perique.

Then I let it sit in the tin (lid on, but not in an air tight mason jar) for a few days. Letting it breathe just that little bit changed everything. The next bowl was everything it promised to be - sweet Viriginias with some tangy oriental coming through every now and then, latakia added the light smokiness I was hoping for, and perique that was doing all of those magical things that perique does to a blend.

For me, the perique built up steadily throughout the bowl - quietly adding a dark, stewy-ness to the smoke early on, and becoming much more pronounced and peppery by the end of the bowl.

Will this before everyone? Probably not. But, if you tend to enjoy the lighter "breakfast" latakia blends (Early Morning Pipe being the obvious example) and also like a little perique in your diet, I can't imagine this would miss the mark.

Pipe Used: Various

pinko Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pinko (52)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

From a 3-year-old tin, Chelsea Morning falls firmly on the Va/Or end of English blends. The Lat is very understated, which works on a blend like Dunhill Early Morning Pipe because of the quality and balance of the Virginia and the subtle application of the Orientals.

Subtlety was never G.L. Pease's strong suit. The Orientals are sour and unbalanced - they would require either a better VA presence or a good deal more Latakia to balance them out. The Perique, when it is evident, doesn't help with the overall sour flavor.

Chelsea Morning may appeal to fans of strong Turkish-forward blends, but otherwise it makes for a nasty morning smoke that doesn't hold a candle to EMP or any other mild English breakfast blend. Skip this in favor of benchmark mild Englishes.

Back in 2009 there was much excitement surrounding the release of Chelsea Morning and even though a moderate Pease fan, I bought a sleeve of five tins a month after the release. With much disappointment, I struggled to get through the first tin and even gave away part of it. I ended up storing the remaining four tins in the cellar. Now, five years later, opening a 2009 tin, I have a much better sense of what this blend is all about. The tin note is sour and smoky. And the spun cut tobacco has melded nicely. While I think this is true of most all blends, Pease blends really seem to show their stuff with some age and CM is no exception. There is a lot of complexity to CM with the component tobaccos showing themselves at different places in the smoke. I can’t recall smoking a blend that smokes so differently from smoke to smoke and one pipe verses another. But I mean this as positive, not a negative. Most often the Virginias lead, but there is a creaminess that seems to come from the Latakia and Orientals. Then at times the small amount of Perique shows up. This is not a Latakia heavy blend at all, but there’s more of it than I prefer in my morning pipe. For me this would be more of a late morning or mid-day smoke rather than my first pipe of the day, but a tasty blend all the same.

Age When Smoked: 11/2009

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (136)

....elegant, creamy texture. Sounds like marketing or advertising hype from the spin doctors - but actually fits the bill! Good pure tobacco flavors brought together in artistic harmony. Excellent spicy notes, both on the palate and retrohale. 4*.

Pipe Used: Cristiano

Age When Smoked: Tin stamp 121914

Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

Revised Review 5/22/12-A smooth, Savory Balkan but light on flavor and "N"' . I've been smoking this back to back with "Meridian" and I feel Meridian is a more flavorful smoke , however, "M" is not as smooth as CM. . The Orientals , Latakia and Perique all add some interest and are well balanced , maybe to much so. I get the creaminess and some of the fruitiness from the description. I agree with those that say this is a nice blend for the morning coffee, it's not a wowing guitar solo but rather a steady base fiddle. I'm tempted to give 4 stars, but under MY rating system , this gets a 3 and Meridian gets the 4, but I really can't disagree with reviewers, "DK 05/28/2011", or Katharsis 07/06/2011 . I feel Piccadilly is a better morning smoke for me as I like the ribbon cut and the higher "N".

This is one of Greg's mildest and lease flavorful Balkan blends as it ages ( 4 years cellar time).

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1 year/ 4 years

Similar Blends: very mild Piccadilly.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)

Love it.

This is not EMP but you can taste some similarities. It's stronger than EMP as a first thing in the day smoke due to the great vaper backbone but it is well balanced. Of the 6 or 7 bowls i smoke a day, either this or EMP start things off. Yummo!

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (59)

This blend has wonderful depth and complexity - the flavors complement each other and it is not a boring smoke by any stretch. It evolves and feels like a drive through the countryside as the flavors unfold. Nicotine is a bit on the strong side for my taste - makes me salivate which usually only happens with the stronger blends - and I'm surprised that most ranked its strength mild-to-medium and medium. If you like it on the stronger side this is high quality and could be just your ticket.

Update 11/23/2016: I recently got a tin of 'Quiet Nights' from this series and the flavor profile reminded me (pleasantly), of the nutty / malty flavors I get in Chelsea Morning. Going to get my hands on some more of it. Both very fine blends.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (70)

A nice morning smoke with more latakia than I'm use to for a first pipe of the day. High quality, nice cut for loading, smokes well, but there's not anything to hang my hat on for more than one tin. I can check this one off my list.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (57)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Lovely and perfectly balanced smoke, every leaf plays genially with each other to create a delicious mild smoke

Merven the Great Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merven the Great (18)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I loved it! just lack the nic kick a little. Very similar to GLP Westminster with the smokey burnt smell in the tin and the room note. And as suggested it great with the morning cup. You do have to let this baby dry though as it can come a little to moist (probably give it extra shelf/cellar life?) I leave what I need out the night before to ensure she's right to play the game. There's better out there but this is a very nice smoke.

rintrah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rintrah (14)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Tin note is earthy mushrooms in a camp fire with a bitter tinge. A difficult light even when dried for an hour prior to packing. Once it does catch you find nothing of the sweet, fruity, or creamy from the description--instead, a harsh smoke that feels a bit out of balance. Nothing remarkable or memorable about the experience The hype on this one is questionable though I recognize this is all just personal taste. For my part, I recommend passing on this blend.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (37)

I've been reading that this goes well with the morning cup so I had to try it, given that is my favorite smoke of the day. That being said, I agree that it's a good smoke on a cool/cold morning with that hot cup. I really like that I could still taste the quality red virginia and with some time in the cellar perhaps the latakia will soften a bit and the virginias will sweeten a little more, and I believe they will... Gotta have that virginia in the morning... Looking forward to this after a few years in the cellar... Great blend

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (72)

I really, really like Chelsea Morning, Greg Pease's recent addition to the "morning pipe" competition. The broken flake burns cool to a white ash, without any bite. The Virginias, Orientals and Latakia are well balanced to produce a harmonious lighter English, perfect with a strong cup of coffee. CM is a great way to start a weekend morning. Recommended.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant

My first tin contained much more than just a "bit" of Latakia, with the Latakia dominating the scent at the opening of the tin and running the show throughout the pipes. Although this may be a bit milder than some, it is still a Latakia/English blend and nothing else.

My second tin had an overwhelming flowery scent to the smoke. The smoke actually tasted like it was laced with baby powder, you know, the scent of Johnson & Johnson's baby powder, sometimes called a "Lakeland essence." Whether this is some weird topping or the subtle fruitiness and fragrant Orientals of the tin description, I can not tell. But it is a real turn-off. I only kept smoking it because my wife loves the room note, and the sweet perfume scents lessen as the tin is exposed to air.

Tried it with my morning coffee, but I think it is also fine with port wine or beer in the evening.

Mr. Pease's accomplishment is that at least four different tobaccos are evident during the smoke. It is one of his typical blends where there is something for everyone, complex and multiple flavors throughout the pipe.

I recommend it without reservation for those who love English blends and Latakia, and a good mild English blend for the Virginia or burley smoker.

Update, Fall, 2010:

After 3 months of mellowing in an opened and then shut tin, just the plastic lid on it, this tobacco is a totally different experience.

3 months after exposure to the air, the Latakia recedes into the background, the supersweet Virginias come to the forefront, and the whole experience is less harsh. The Perique and Orientals are barely there. It has become an easy smoke. The disparity in taste from tin to tin is what keeps me from giving a fourth star.

TonyC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TonyC (13)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I waited several bowls of Chelsea Morning before I wrote this review. I needn't have. My first bowlful started off as a rich, creamy, full bodied smoke from the false light and has remained so every bowl since.

This is my first offering from Mr. Pease, and I think it's a great introduction. The tin aroma when first popped is sensational (I use the term "savory"), and you can smell the pungent Latakia and Orientals coming through. The moisture content is somewhat high, but a few minutes spread out before packing helps immensely. The VA's do begin to assert themselves in both the "bouqet" and the smoke, with a nice sweetness that is smoothly married to the flavoring components in just the right orchestration. The end has a nice peppery finish as the Perique joins in to put the final touches on the bowl, and leave you yearning for the next.

I enjoy it more in the A.M. with my first cup than after dark, sort of a wake-up call to my senses; therefore it will not be an all-day smoke for me. But this is good enough to have you anxious to climb out of bed on a cold February morning!

This is certainly going to be one of my favorites for some time, and has me looking forward to the continuation of the London Series.