A blend of dark Burley and red Virginia with just a splash of Perique.

Blended ByCornell & Diehl
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Strong
Taste
Runestone_1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Runestone_1 (1)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I like cigars and while Burley Flake #1 doesn't taste or smell anything like a cigar, there are some characteristics of this tobacco that I can really appreciate. Firstly, if nicotine makes you happy, then this will make you happy (I'm slightly on the Autism spectrum and require vitamine N for wellbeing, so this tobacco makes me happy). I don't inhale, just puff and this flake still makes me happy. Secondly, it leaves a deep dark taste in the mouth that seems to activate the same taste receptors as coffee or chocolate does (obviously, this is tobacco and not coffee or chocolate, so don't expect what it isn't from my comment). Finally, there's often that earthy natural tobacco flavour coupled with the taste of nicotine that I can relate to the cigar experience, but richer.

This is my first time with Burley flake, so if this is the epitome of the Burley experience, then I can see myself taking a Burley detour in my pipe tobacco journey. I rub this tobacco out and find it needs half an hour to dry in an air conditioned room to get the best smoking experience. The initial taste is strong with lots of pepper on the tongue from the nicotine, but then the pipe settles into a deep, dark and mellow smoking experience. There's the nice warm happy rush of nicotine and the slow steady smoke (not too many relights) needed for a peaceful mediation and for reflection at the end of a long day.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

This flake is delivered as 1/16"x2"x1/2" soft strands that are quite moist from the tin and don't dry out much but pack easily and if done carefully, minimal relights are then needed. Smokes cool and without condensation or any hint of bite. To me, it's just as named with the Burley dominating. I normally smoke VAs or VA/Pers and find this and ~ burleys to be a bit rough on the edges and this one espcially lacking my preferred VA sweetness with the perique way in the background. However you have just true tobacco aroma from the tin and the same in the taste. Reiner's LGF remains my favorite blended with these components but if you enjoy Burley this may work for you.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I tried this tobacco because I thought I didn't like burley much and I'd heard that C&D were great with it. So I thought I'd try the best and see if it would change my mind. I chose this blend because I prefer dark burley to light and I'm keen on perique. I also like the 'Old Time' tin art, which is important.

A great tobacco if you want nicotine to out weigh flavour. Not that the flavour is bad, quite the opposite, it is excellent. It's just not strong. The nicotine, however, is. It might not be quite as strong as the Gawith ropes but I'd say it was on a par with Irish Flake.

The flakes are perfect in my tin. Until you touch them. At which point they fall to pieces completely. This may be slightly annoying but I certainly prefer it to having a flake which is impossible to break up when you feel like it.

The taste (which I suspect maybe slightly augmented by some flavouring/sweetening agent) is lightly earthy yet sweet/nutty with wiffs of chocolate. Of course it can turn bitter with if smoked a bit too fast, which the subdued flavour profile can lull me into doing. The burley plays the lead with red virginia as second fiddle. The perique seems almost non existant.

Has it made me a burley man? Maybe not but I quite like it. It seems to me to be high quality tobacco and a very pleasant smoke. Especially good for times when you are feeling the effects of accute nicotine deficiency but your palette is exhausted.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Burley Flake #1 … A broken brown flake that has a tin aroma of bread dough, not too different from BF#2, but this blend smokes quite different, #1 is noticeably milder tasting, giving the impression of less strength, which for me was such not the case. I got the same or greater “N” hit as #2 (which by the way is substantial) but this stuff kind of sneaks up on you, resulting in a condition I can do without. If this tobacco is the same as #2, but with that splash of Perique that is mentioned on the tin, the Perique has added very little taste of its own, but seems to have change things allot in the taste department.

Overall IMO this is a strong Burley lovers delight, No bite, or harshness and should satisfy those that enjoy a good “N” hit, but be warned IMO this mild mannered burley can be easily overdone if not smoked with some respect. Ya feelin luckly punk, have a bowl.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I received BF#1 in an "all-burley" sample pack from C&D. After having gone through all six samples in regular-sized pipes, I figured they were all too strong for me, and considered giving them away or throwing them out. Then, I remembered that using a large-bowled pipe can smooth out strong blends. So, I brought out my Jumbo Oom Paul from Boswell.

What a difference the right pipe makes! In the Jumbo, I found BF#1 to be a strong, smooth, full-flavored burley. I can't detect the perique in this blend at all. Even first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, this was a very pleasant smoke for me. No hiccups, no spins or sweaty palms.

For comparison, I've lately been smoking lighter burleys like Classic Burley Kake, Granger, and Boswell's Premium Burley. BF#1 is definitely stronger than all those burleys, but smooth, full, and muscular. I'm hanging onto this blend. If it had a bit less strength, it would have gotten four stars from me.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Interesting flake that is and isn't a flake - at least not like I'm used to. This one consisted of long, "flake-like" strands that weren't connected. Hard to describe but it was an interesting cut. It would not load as a flake and had to be rubbed out.

I found this very good. It has a lot of the wonderful flavor of Old Joe Krantz but did not overwhelm me as that one does with an overabundance of perique and nicotine. This one will bring the fire if overpuffed but treated gently, it sings! Primarily a burley taste with some sweetness and spice from the VA and perique, respectively. If you're a lover of Solani ABF or Wessex Burley Flake, give this one a try as a variation on that theme. This will be an occasional smoke for me rather than one for my regular rotation, but I definitely enjoyed the ride!

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (73)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Prominent perique fruitiness in the tin aroma that is more subdued in the smoke; Seems promising. Dry, light flavor however, the burley is harsh and somewhat bitter which is characteristic of C&D's stronger burley varieties. The high nicotine of perique probably just reinforces this harshness. On the other hand, the aroma had a nice toasty, air cured aroma aproaching a dutch cigar. The burley is simply too crude and unrefined for a credible smoke for me; A weak two stars.

I'm not a huge fan of Burley blends but I tried all of C&D's flakes just in case I might like one. Of the 4 I felt this was the best. I actually like it and enjoy a bowl on occasion. Nice nuttiness with a nice muted background of Virginia. The Perique is almost invisible to me. I think I would notice if it weren't there though.

kaizoku Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaizoku (10)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

first i must say i like Cornell & Diehl´s blends. this blend though was a bit of a disapointment, when i opened the tin it smelled ok but after a week or so it started to smell like old swetty socks... The taste of the first bowl was ok, nothing exiting or special, and the deeper into the tin i went the tobacco taste was worse and worse. maybe i got a bad tin or maybe my tastebuds was spoiled by my last burley tin (Solani- Aged burley flake, a really good blend), but due to my ecperience with this tin i don´t think i´ll buy another one and i can´t really give it more than 2 stars.

StylesSharpman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StylesSharpman (24)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Lately I have been trying to keep my nic. levels in check and this just opens that door again, next thing I know I'll be back to puffing on heavy duty ropes all day with no buzz! A very welcome pipe tobacco that is rich in earthy burly and musty Perique & sweet Virginia's, some times.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)

This one is probably the best Burley blend I've had to date. I'm not a huge fan of burley's but I got a sample of this one at the CORPS show in Richmond and it is fantastic. It is sort of a creamy almost cigar like smoke, very earthy tasting and smooth. This one has somewhat of a nic hit, but not as strong as BF #3. I look forward to getting more of this at some point.

beardedhermit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beardedhermit (30)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin aroma is very strong so is the nicotine, I love it. These flake will crumble easily and depending how you like to pack will equally smoke well whole. Taste is earthy, rich and spicy from the Perique, burley I find adds some nutty taste but mostly remains dark in flavor more savory i guess. Last is the Virginia that makes for some sweet notes. Highly recommended

The Pipesmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Pipesmith (6)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I got the Burley Flake #1, #2, and #3 tins. First C&D I ever bought. They sat in my tobacco closet for a year before I got to them. All three cans were a bit out of shape, with #1 being the most so. I just thought I had banged them around a bit until I opened the first one recently - KABOOM! The stuff had fermented quite a bit in the can and exploded like a cherry bomb. I opened the other two under a towel to prevent my hand from getting scraped again from the blown back lid and keep bits of tobacco from exploding outward. The odor was enough to make my eyes water - very sharp and peculiar. And the tobacco was way too damp. I've been airing it out off and on for a month and its still too damp, though the smell has toned down a bit.

I enjoyed the honest-to-goodness tobacco taste and smell initially. Lots of smoke. But the more I smoked it the more irritating I found it. Needs frequent relights. A very strong burley, and kinda rough. I thought I liked burley till I found out what too much burley was like. The nicotine is also a bit much for me.

I got through about two-thirds of the can and almost threw the rest away. Thought better of that (I hate to waste tobacco) and mixed in virginia ribbons about 50/50. Much better now.

If you age yours as long as I did and your cans are bulging, be careful - that lid is sharp and the explosion is enough to make your heart stop.

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)
Very Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I typically scoff at reviews that seemingly exaggerate the nicotine strength of a blend.

I smoke hand-rolled cigarettes and use dip tobacco in addition to smoking 3 or 4 bowls a day. I've never smoked a pipe blend that brought anything bordering on an overwhelming dose of nicotine.

Well.....this stuff is no BS strong.

I had not read the reviews here before smoking and was surprised to find myself feeling the beginning of vitamin N OD. Then when I did read the reviews it made sense.

It's stronger to my receptors than OJK, Dark Bullseye, Night Train, 5 Bros (yes even 5 Bros), et al. I've not smoked the brown ropes from the Gawith houses so I can't speak to those. but this is by far the strongest blend I've smoked.

But don't confuse nicotine strength with harshness or unpleasant taste.

This is actually sort of a light bodied blend. Feels airy and light. It also has moderately subtle flavors that you have to go looking for, sort of like a good VA. I'd like it to be just a tad sweeter

I found it was drying to my mouth at times. I think another reviewer referred to it as astringent. I agree. But not biting in any way whatsoever. Seems to have dull edges in fact. But drying still.

Many have mentioned the cut. It is a bit different. It seems to be a lightly pressed flake. It's soft, light and broken into strands that are almost noodle like. My tin has only been open for a few days. I expect the noodles will get more brittle and crumbly as it gets more air.

I like this blend. I've smoked about 5 bowls of this now and found it to be pretty consistent. Not really a flavor explosion. But more of a sensory smoking experience blend. A great one for chilling out and hitting the zone.

Idahosmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Idahosmoker (8)
Strong None Detected Mild Tolerable to Strong

Normally I post extremely verbose reviews, but not for this one. Simply put, I love this blend! I'm a regular burley smoker with Big N' Burley being my every day smoke. However, when I want something slightly different with a nice kick, this is what I go to.

The tin odor is quite potent, and either clears out my sinuses or brings tears to my eyes. The tobacco is a moist broken flake that is THICK! My favorite method of packing is to just ball it up and plug it in.

Due to the moisture content, it takes a few lights and a couple tamps to get it going, but once lit, it smokes all the way through to the bottom, as long you give it the occasional tamp.

The vitamin N is extreme, at least for me. Its the strongest tobacco I've smoked so far and it really does the job. As such, it is not an all day smoke. I only partake of it occasionally, but when I do, it always blows my socks off.

It can have a slight bite to it if one isn't careful. As such, this tobacco is to be respected.

If you're looking for a no nonsense blend that will send you into a nicotine induced state of bliss, this is the one to do it! Highly recommended, 4 stars!

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

WOW! This blend is strong as a bull. I like strong blends myself though not all the time. This blend fits the bill when looking to chill out a bit. It's an ass-kicker. I put it alongside of Five Brothers and Old Joe Krantz with OJK being the mildest of the three.

I can't taste any particlular flavorings or toppings here. Maybe that's just me. I'm just getting serious tobacco coming through my pipes. I haven't smoked too many of C&D's blends and this is the most hardcore yet. The room note seems to be tolerable but not stinky like a latakia blend. Trust me, if it smelled badly I'd have heard from the peanut gallery at home.

It is a little moist out of the package. BF #1 surprised me as being easy to light and burn despite its moist feeling right in the package. I set a couple bowls worth under a desk lamp just to see what happens only long enough to take the moist feel out of it. Still Strong as a Bull. I have no complaints here at all. I just wish it were available in bulk.

I suggest that it's not for a beginner unless one is coming off non-filtered cigarettes. I rate this as a STRONG THREE STARS.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is one of the best strong blends I have ever tried. Usually I stay away from this kind of strong blends which oftenly causes hick-ups to me. This time I am not regretful.

The mellow Burley and Virginia from this tin offered me all the nicotine and true man's real tobacco taste. These needs are guaranteed upon on first lighting this blend. It smokes cool and if you pay attention on your puffing rhythm you will enjoy all the strengthness till the bottom of your bowl. The Perique addition makes it even more dangerous which is enjoyable before the first half of the bowl and all the combination keeps you awake t?ll the end. No sweetness here. All you get ?s a punch of nicotine and full cigar like tobacco flavor.

Recommended for mature pipe smokers. I personally am smoking this stuff in a medium sized bowl, after dinner accompanied with a favorite bourbon or scotch. Then sleep as a baby.

Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

A mellow, solid Burley blend. The Perique is hardly noticeable, but what I do taste is a good amount of Kentucky (or something very similar) which makes this tobacco quite similar to GLPease Cumberland.

I have to take 1 star from it since I find this mixture a bit astringent towards the end of the bowl.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)

I like this tobacco! after trying Solani Aged Burley Flake, I ws embolded by the notion that not all Burleys had to be flat and dull. This is, of course, a blend with va and perique, but the burley component is not small here. It is very burley forward in taste.

The va offers some nuance to the burley and the perique gives a nice spice ovrall. The vitamin N is sufficient here to satisfy me and the overall body and depth of the smoke very nice indeed. Can't really recall any real downsides to this one other than to watch your cadence. It can become flat and bitter if puffed too fast.

A good solid servicable tobacco suitable to all day smoking if desired. Definately for the hardier tobacco fan.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This flake has more Virginia, red Virginia than the other two. Thus it is a trifle sweeter than #2 or # 3. Still plenty of nutty burley.

It is stronger than #2 (my favorite of the series) and close to # 3 in body (which has more Kentucky to my senses). Full on the palate for sure. Smooth, no bite.

Slight comparison can be made to Pease's Kentucky Burley/Virginia blend (Cumberland which I like better than this), but this is a flake. The flakes do break apart easily and a thick ribbon is left. Burns well.

Recommended to burley lovers.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (161)
Overwhelming None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

I am a big fan of C&D blends and burley, but Burley Flake #1 was a major disappointment and 'not palatable to my palate.' I found it overwhelmingly strong from beginning to end, with no redeeming qualities. It did not present any discernible flavor, but it did have a bitter edge to it. There may be more than just a ‘splash' of perique. The negative qualities of this blend intensified as I proceeded down the bowl, and I gave it many chances in different pipes. I'm hoping my tin dated September, 2009 was just a bad blending run.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 2.0 out of 10.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)

I feel privileged to be the first to review this flake. I ordered a 5-pack sample of some Cornell & Diehl blends a week or so ago, and they offered to throw in samples of Burley Flakes #1, #2, and #3. I have worked my way through a pipeful or two of each of them, and I am very pleased.

Flake #1 is a loose, slightly sloppy flake that falls apart when it is handled. I smoked it in a tall, small-bowled Stanwell that I use for flake tobacco. I folded the flakes sideways, then once endways, then gave them a twist and stuffed them into the pipe. I do not rub these out. The result is a rich, creamy burley with just a hint of pepper from the perique. It smoked slowly and coolly. I found the moisture level of the flakes perfect for smoking; they stayed lit and smouldered beautifully to the end. There is a healthy dose of nicotine that should have you relaxed by the time you get to the bottom of the bowl. Highly recommended.