A well-balanced blend of Syrian & Cyprian Latakia, red Virginia, Turkish and Perique.

Notes: Discountinued Blend.

ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full, Full
Pleasant, Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong

3.7
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I lucked into 5 oz of this from a trading partner who felt it had degraded to the point where he no longer enjoyed it. He'd stored it for 16 years and the blend had darkened considerably. A bunch of jar aromas, ranging from latakia to dank newspaper to old cheese. Juicy oriental smell in spades! The blend was moderately dry and no further drying time was needed. I rehydrated a bowl of it, to disastrous effect.

In the pipe, I liked this one a lot but had a feeling he was right - something just not quite on the nail with this one. The Virginias were lightly sweet and the orientals were front and center, merging with the latakias to form a true light Balkan. The Cyprian latakia was very subdued but the Syrian seemed to have deepened. With the perique in a moderately prominent role and melding with the Syrian, there was a briny, spicy flavor that fused nicely with the orientals pungent sourness. Sounds like a lot going on, and there was, but the whole concoction didn't have as much of a "presence" as it may have had in the past. It was more mellow than vivid, and I suppose that may be in part due to the softening of the Cyprian latakia. I wish the Virginias had been bolder as well, and I couldn't help but wonder what a company like McClellands could do with a recipe like this. Overall this was a very good blend but it could have been more... and may have been when fresher. I'll still smoke and enjoy the rest of mine, but I won't mourn it when its gone.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I bought Baalbek on the strength of the preceding reviews when I ordered a sample pack from C&D late last autumn. I moistened it a little and it has been sitting in a Ball jar for several months now. It is delicious; a tasty and full-flavored tobacco. Don't expect a latakia kick in the teeth from this one. The latakia is there, but it is only one of the performers. The smoke is complex and well-balanced, and I do not tire of it. I have no hesitation in recommending this to anyone who enjoys English-style blends. I like several of them from C&D, especially including Yale Mixture, but this one is my favorite now. I find myself thinking about it in anticipation as I drive home from work in the evening.

Addendum February 2005: Alas, Baalbek is no more and is not likely to return. Future runs of this blend all went up in smoke at the warehouse fire that destroyed the Tarlers' Syrian latakia supply. I have most of a pound of this left; I will savor it slowly.

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (43)

Two different pipe smokers turned me on to this blend, and to both of them I offer my thanks. Baalbek is delicious. It is a medium English blend where the layers of taste are each delicious and none overpower the others. This blend is my favorite C&D offering and the none of their other English blends hold a candle to Baalbek in my opinion...and they have some other dandy blends.

Highly recommended!