A blend of Dark and White Burleys with red Virginia for a touch of sweetness.

Blended ByCornell & Diehl
Blend TypeBurley Based
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The dark and white burleys offer a lot of strength, earth, a little nuttiness and cocoa, with a note or two of coffee, and a hint of sweetness. A slight sharpness from the white burley is also evident. This is not a sweet blend, but what little there is mainly comes from the tangy red Virginia, which is an important minor player. It adds a little balance to the burleys. Burns well with consistent flavor, no bite and very little moisture. It has a medium nic-hit which I seem to notice more at the front than the end of the smoke. I recommend a small bowl for this one, and a nice cup of hot tea or coffee. Not for a beginner. I like it outdoors in cooler weather.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Burley flake #2.. My fresh 2oz tin had a mild bread dough aroma to it, and was filled with attractive, moist and easy to rub-out flakes, that almost crumbled when handled.

Originally purchased for adding some zing to otherwise tasty but thin blends, that on occasions left me wanting in the nicotine department, I found a pinch of #2 (IMO) solved that problem nicely.

I also found this blend has a delicious all tobacco flavor on it's own, and I frequently have some in a small bowled pipe, because this one has a little more kick than I'm used too, a small bowl does the job.. .

Overall a excellent but stronger burley blend, with no added topping that I could detect, in it's aroma or taste. I also found no tongue bite, and #2 is easy to manage. Probably because of #2's strength, there was no “need or want”, to get aggressive with this stuff, those two issues seem to take care of themselves! As is, or as a enhancer, I would think most burley smokers would find this stuff both interesting and satisfying.

The first thing I always do with a new tobacco is take a deep whiff of the tin aroma. This one has easily the worst tin aroma I've ever experienced, a very unappealing mixture of old gym socks and recently spoiled milk. Not a nice introduction! But a tobacco is to be tasted, right?

This has excellent if monodimensional flavor. I have not yet smoked #3 but this one is not nearly as complex as #1. In this one, the inclusion of virginia seems an afterthought but I do believe it provides some of the flavor. But essentially this is a burley blend - hefty, full and robust. As someone else hinted at, this redefines what a straight burley can be. It lacks all but the slightest hint of sweetness and surprisingly doesn't really taste of the usual "nutty burley" to me. It seems more earthy to me (yet another traditional burley descriptor) and in that respect, this could be considered bland by someone reading this review. Somehow this blend escapes that designation but I'm clueless as to how.

Recommended for those who love burley. In fact, for those who love burley, this is a "must try" blend. 3 stars for my own personal taste, 4 stars for what I believe to be a stroke of blending genius.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I first tried this in 3 different briars with no joy. When I stuffed it in a cob it made all the difference in the world. Lovely burley flavors with just the lightest presence of Virginia sweetness. A nice flake that shouldn't be ignored. Try some.

Steverino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steverino (6)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have tried all four of the C&D Burley Flakes. No. 2 comes across to me as the "plainest" of the four, but this isn't a negative. It has plenty of burley flavor and enough strength to satisfy most.

My first tin seemed to sour about halfway through, morphing into something that tasted very bitter and smelled similar to cow dung - literally. I contacted C&D about this and they quickly replaced it with a new tin, which smelled and tasted fine. I am constantly impressed with C&D's committment to customer satisfaction.

The tobacco seems a bit moist when the tin is first opened but I've had no problem getting it lit and burning. The crumbly flakes are easier to rub out than to smoke whole to me but I've smoked it both ways. I have heard a number of people say that burley does better in a large bowl, so this is what I initially used for BF2. I was not very impressed - mostly a flat taste with bitter notes toward the bottom of the bowl. It wasn't until I tried breaking up the flakes and smoking them in a smaller bowl that the blend really came alive for me. In a medium-sized Kaywoodie or Grabow billiard, I get a smooth, consistent burley with not a little Virginia sweetness throughout the bowl. I enjoy this blend enough to keep coming back to it and it's in my regular rotation.

Without hesitation, I'd recommend this blend to all burley lovers as they will likely be prepared for what BF2 delivers. I'd also recommended it to other smokers who wish to try burley with the advice that their results may be somewhat dependent on the pipe.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Medium None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

I decided to let Burley Flake #2 serve as my introduction to the quartet of flakes that now form this little C&D collection. On paper, it appears to have the least condimental leaf, so it seemed to be a good place to get a sense of the base Burleys in these Burley Flakes. Luckily (or not…we'll see) I already own tins of the others, because if I'd based future purchasing on my experience with #2, I doubt I'd ever get around to adding them to the tobacco shelf.

The flakes are familiarly C&D—that is, fairly thick in the slicing and more loosely pressed than most other flakes. Tin aroma is slightly grassy with a mild, chutney-like sweet-and-sour quality. Moisture levels were well-nigh perfect and I decided to rub out the flakes on most occasions.

Truth is, nothing I did seem to make any difference with this flake. Rubbed out, folded and stuffed, rolled into a plug, fresh from the tin, dried, aged for six months…Burley Flake #2 remained irredeemably dull. On the palate, the smoke remained a little bitter and a little astringent. The smoking qualities were fine—dry, biteless, pleasingly smoky—but the flavors are painfully muted. I confess that I consigned the last half dozen bowls of the tin to rolling papers, and it seemed to fare much better there. Burley Flake #2 now occupies the top of my list in the cigarette-ish pipe tobacco category.

It's entirely possible that my expectations were too high for this flake from the start. I'm a huge fan of numerous C&D blends and C&D Burleys in particular—Epiphany and Old Joe Krantz, for example, are favorites. I suppose that in those tobaccos the condimental leaf rounds out the Burley base in ways that are more appealing to me than does the red Virginia in this flake.

It's also true that in the back of my mind, I may have been looking for a local competitor to my all-time favorite Burley, Solani's Aged Burley Flake. If so, Burley Flake #2 falls way short of the Solani standard. Where the Solani product benefits from the aromatic hangover of standard Burley casings such as cocoa and coffee, Burley Flake #2 seems pale and thin tasting because of their apparent absence. Some will no doubt prefer #2 because of this. But I'm afraid that I'm not one of them. I prefer more richness, depth, fatness, oomph...whatever you want to call it.

I'm still looking forward to hearing the rest of the quartet, but I can't say that Burley Flake #2 has lit a fire under my easy chair and inspired me to pop them open any time soon.

Mesh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mesh (21)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The gentle woodsy tin aroma of this blend belies the strength of the smoke. Cigar and infrequent coffee notes are present, but otherwise no complexity to speak of. No sweetness either. It would probably work well for those who enjoy strong burley tobaccos, but this one is a few yards outside of my personal comfort zone.

Recommended for those who wish to experience what a burley with few other additions tastes like. Just don't expect something along the same chocolatey lines as Solani Burley Flake (which is a milder, sweeter, lightly cased burley blend).

This is a nicely prepared flake, thicker that many but moist and softly pressed to remain pliable enough to permit my packing without rubout. The tin aroma is less than inviting but the smoke is really what counts. It that respect, a cool, dry smoke without any hint of bite resulted but I missed any sweetness from the VA in all sized bowls. Since I normally smoke VA and VaPer flakes, perhaps it's not a fair comparison but even among the Burley flake offerings, I'd prefer Solani's BF. However, if you enjoy burleys, this is certainly worth a try.

Country Doc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Doc (20)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

A good, strong burley. The virginia does sweeten it, but way in the background. Delivers a significant nicotine punch. Chocolate note is definitely present, and very pleasant. Not in my regular rotation, but there are times when it is just the thing. If you are a burley lover, you owe it to yourself to try this one. 3 out of 4 for me.

Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Extra Strong

This is a great burley blend, but it's just not my cup of tea. A little more Virginias for some more sweetness would improve BF #2 for me, as it is too bitter for my taste. It's also way too strong, I like burleys on the mild side.

If you need the nicotine kick and don't mind somewhat bitter tobaccos, this might be for you.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I'm predominantly a Burley fan, but this one left me wanting something more. Straight from the can, a bit hard to keep lit, but after a week or so, it lights up quite easily. Has a bitter taste towards the end of the bowl. Don't think I would buy this one again...

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I went back forth on whether to give this 3 stars or 4 stars and finally settled on a 3 (say 3.5). Over the past several months, I've found myself reaching for it on a regular basis and it's now a regular smoke.... It's easily my favorite of C&D's new line of burley flakes, and I'm not sure I've ever sampled anything quite like it from an American company. Anyway, here's my take on it:

The ingredients are easy enough to summarize: Nothing here but burley and a splash of deep red Virginia, just enough to add (as the tin description says) a little sweetness. The flavor is bold and rich, reminiscent of coffee or dark chocolate, and deepens as the smoke develops. Although the taste intensifies as the bowl progresses, don't expect much complexity here other than a gradually building sweetness. C&D has finally mastered the art of manufacturing gorgeous flakes, and if you smoke them intact you will have a very long, relaxing smoke.

This blend appeals to me for other reasons. One, it has close to zero tongue bite for me, which I consider to be a huge plus. Also, the nicotine content is higher than found in most C&D or GLP blends. Old Joe Krantz, Billy Budd, Haddo's Delight -- none of them pack the wallop that Burley Flake #2 carries, so I'd recommend using a small bowl. It's probably not overly strong for those of us who smoke Lakeland flakes, but I would NOT recommend this to a newbie or aromatic smoker.

If I have a complaint (and I'm not sure that I do), it's that for all this blend's power there is still a certain delicacy to the flavor that requires a dedicated pipe, which is unusual for a burley. Put another way, while "complex" is certainly not a term I'd use to describe BF#2, there ARE some subtle notes that get lost if you don't devote a briar to it.

I was very pleased with this blend, and more than a little surprised. I wasn't expecting a clone of Edgeworth Sliced or other American classics, but I had expected something that at least would evoke their memory. However, this doesn't remind me of any American flake or burley I've ever tried, as it lacks the sweetness of even the plainest of those. Heck, Prince Albert can be fairly described as a heavily-cased aromatic compared to this! In fact, I think I'll summarize my review by saying that BF #2 seems basically to be an American interpretation of British classics like Stonehaven or some of the darker English flakes from the Lakeland blenders, only with no hint of added flavorings and less of an emphasis on the Virginia. There were times, in fact, when I was inclined to think of this as a "lite" version of G&H's unscented Dark Flake --the quality and attention to detail is certainly there, but the overall effect is a bit gentler.

I don't believe that VA afficiandos or those who prefer sweet smokes will like this very much, but those who like their coffee black as pitch will likely fall head over heels for it.

Phantom55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phantom55 (29)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I have now smoked all three of the C&D burley flakes in some quantity. I think this one is my favorite. They seem to decrease in fullness of body and increase in virginia content from 3 to 1. I think this one is the best combination of body and strength for me.

I give it a light rub out, and stuff it in, packing loosely. With about three lights, it cruises to the bottom of the bowl. Very smooth smoker, with no bite, but a very full burley flavor. So far, I think this is the best burley I have smoked. You have to be a lover of stout burley blends to like this, but highly recommended.

RxMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RxMan (17)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Being an ardent VA and VAPER fan, I was a little tentative about buying and trying this semi-straight Burley. Now it seems like I can't stop going to this superb flake. The flavor/taste is a wonderful deep cocoa/dark coffee, which makes me wonder if there isn't a light casing. I like the room note, and my wife says it smells "chocolaty" , which is good thing with her. I haven't noticed an appreciable nicotine kick, but there is one there. This by itself has changed my opinion about what can be done with straight Burleys, besides the CH, PA, and array of others that I have tried in the past that have not met my expectations of a good, memorable smoke. As I puff away with a pipeful and a cup of strong back coffee (excellent combo), I'm planning my next bowl of relaxation with this exciting new discovery and contemplating what else in the Burley line of presentations I should try next.ENJOY!

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (140)

Another great burley flake by C&D.

To me this may be the "mildest" of the three (No. 1, 2, and 3 of C&D), but is still on the strong side.

Here burley again dominates, but I taste more of the white or milder burley used in blends years ago.

Maybe closer to UK Edgeworth Slices (no, not the same), but rubs out more easy.

So far my favorite as it is milder and can be puffed more often if one choses.

What a treat if you like burley.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

If you know C&D products you know what's coming. When you put Bob R and Craig T. in a room, something great is coming out with them. These flakes do need a touch of drying, and I would start with one, cause they pack a punch. On light up, the flavor is a bit like Cuban coffee. Strong and dark. This is a great blend for walking about outside in the cool fall air. It's strong and honest. Burned clean. I got the best results with a wide gauge bowl. Great burley flavor, burn character, and packed a punch. Thumbs up!