A blend of quality Burleys with a bit of Virginia for natural sweetness and a dash of Perique for interest.

Blended ByCornell & Diehl

3.4
Burly Burley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Burly Burley (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco is almost good, but a bit too acrid with insufficient compensation to say so. Usually before I entirely give up on a tobacco, I give it some time in the sun, which I did with this tin. For me, the sun improved it enough to keep it around, though I have nothing against a dry tobacco. Cornell & Diehl are amongst my very favorite, but not this particular blend. I'd love for C&D to try something similar to Solani's aged burley flake, which for me is the golden standard of burleys. I wouldn't advise against trying it, but there'd be many ahead in the queue.

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have read and been told that C&D knows their burley. This is the first burley flake of theirs that I've tried, and if this is what their burley is like, then the rumors are true. I thought I usually found burley to be pretty boring and sometimes hard to even taste. Not this blend. This has a very robust flavor. It is a beefy tobacco, fully of body, flavor, and nicotine. Normally I'm not a fan of hard hitters in the N department, but this blend is an exception. Much like Jackknife Plug, I have to make sure I've eaten a full meal before I smoke this. But when I have, I can't wait to smoke it. I don't see this tin lasting very long.

If you're new to burleys, or haven't yet tried them, this is a great one to try. There is enough VA and Perique in there to sweeten it slightly. It has just the perfect amount of moisture, in my opinion -- soft to the touch, but not in the least bit moist. The somewhat broken flake falls apart, but I still leave it in thick "stalks", and I have no problem at all keeping this lit. This is actually the easiest to keep lit flake (or broken flake, in this case) tobacco I've smoked.

Several things about this blend jump out at me. First, this is the quickest I've ever gone through a tin of tobacco, to the best of my memory. I got going and could not put this down.

Second, this is indeed a lighter version of Old Joe Krantz, as has been mentioned. It is also OJK's much more refined younger brother. Where OJK blasts full steam ahead without a whit of elegance, BF #3 subdues the harshness of its sibling and provides all the flavor. No asbestos tongue or iron lungs needed.

Finally, I had read about "cigar notes" in pipe tobacco and indeed even made reference to same. I did not know what I was talking about until I smoked this. This takes the medium-full flavor of burleys, virginia and perique and the sum is all that AND the robust smoothness of a fine light wrapper Honduran... not too strong, but with a nice cigar-type boldness. The combination was captivating! I've been excited about a lot of blends over the last couple of years but this is one of the three that I can't say enough good things about (C&D's Epiphany and McC's Royal Cajun Ebony being the other two).

Try this if you enjoy burley with a sprinkling of VA and perique, and if you occasionally enjoy a fine (mild) cigar.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

Don't ask a boy to smoke a man's tobacco! Burley Flake no 3 is a man's tobacco and for the experienced smoker who enjoys a fair dose of nicotine. The tin aroma is very smoky, suggesting a fair amount of Dark-Fired Kentucky. The flakes rub out fairly easily and it smokes very nicely and evenly. The main taste is of tobacco, completed by the DFK and of unsweetened raisin that comes and goes throughout. An interesting change of pace, I am not sure if I will rebuy but I certainly appreciated the experience.

Pipe Used: Butz-Choquin

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Gift

I prefer Flakes #1&2 to this one. This is fairly good though. Just didn't suit me.

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

It's only 4 stars if you like a very strong burley blend. I do, but not all the time. It'll knock you off your feet if you're a fast puffer, and burn a little harsh and ashy then, too. Don't smoke it unless you have food in your stomach. Do all of that, and you'll be rewarded with a powerhouse burley with all the burley notes you've come to expect, plus a light natural Virginia sweetness to take the edge off. I think there's more than just a "dash of perique" in this blend, but it really helps make this a great smoke. I'd never recommend this to anyone who's inexperienced in pipe smoking. But if you've been around burleys for a while and need the big nic hit, I say buy and enjoy!

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Cigar-like, strong, harsh and bitey...I prefer Stormfront & Brigade Campaign Flake, which are more nutty and mellow.

AgentSmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AgentSmith (9)

C&D had open tins of almost everything, at the CORPS show in Richmond. After doing my due diligence on tobaccoreviews.com, I made a list of about a dozen to examine in person. After looking them over and sniffing them, this was one of the 4 or 5 that I requested samples to tryout.

All the earlier reviews are right on target. Plenty of vitamin N and a smooth easy smoke ending with white ash. I left with a 8oz tin and finally popped it and jared it today. Pure pleasure. I held off on STAR #4 only because I want to spend some more quality time with the blend before I move it to highest level.

This one is headed into my regular rotation.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Okay, this stuff is strong, I only had a sample of it, but it knocked me off my horse a few times while smoking it. For this reason I prefer this after a big meal or occasionally as a nightcap if I'm a bit wired before bed and want to mellow out a bit. It has a nice earthy full flavor, I'd like to try it again, but I'll probably pick up a tin of one of the other burley flakes instead so I can try all three, plus this one was a bit strong for my normal tastes. Overall recommended, especially if you like heavy nic in your blends! The two burley flakes I've had are probably the best burley's I've ever smoked, so if you like that kind of stuff, give this a try.

Big Jim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Jim (15)

I've heard the saying "C&D knows burley" and they proved that with this blend.

If you like a good burley then this one has to be on the must try list. Strong burley flavor with enough virginia to prevent any bitter taste. The perique was there but very subtle. More of a peppery mouth "feel" than taste. Enough nicotine to satisfy a former cigarette smoker with some to spare. Stays light easily and burns cool. No effort needed to smoke this one but plenty of old fashion tobacco pleasure.

Pipe Puffington Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Puffington (17)

Love it, smoked a fat bowl of this with a 10% alc. high quality stout beer by Peak organic. Can you say roasty toasty? This is great smoke. Call me crazy but I love it first thing with a super dark black cup of joe. Just to get warmed up before moving on to G.W.Co Brown Irish X. I like em' strong being an ex cig smoker.

11/27/11 I Will add it seems to smoke wet. Even after a month of open tin. Rub it, dry it for an hour then smoke it. Maybe a better result. Pack her lightly. Maybe its my pipe selection but every smoke lately seems wet..I do like it though. It takes some work. Where as black..no no no different post..

Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

A true "mans" blend. High in "N" but smooth. I find this better after a few months to breath ( bottom of the tin is best) and smoke this at a smolder. Burns very nice to a gray ash. Delightful with a cup of "Joe". Similar to Jackknife plug and Germains Brown Flake but not as sweet. The Burley is out front with this one, maybe a slight taste of Cigar leaf. I had this with my morning coffee and it felt like I had 3 beers for breakfast , watch the "N".

Updated 9/25/11 Well I've been told that Burleys don't age well and I have to agree. Tried this again after about 3 months of cellaring and all I got was smoke, no sweetness, no complexity, just a metallic burley taste. I've got to remove a star, totally uninteresting. I must have been lightheaded when I wrote my first review !

beardedhermit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beardedhermit (30)

Cornell & Diehl Burley Flakes, all 4 blends make me slobber and drool all over my precious briar pipes, its probably uncouth to say that, but were all brothers here. Highly recommended.

Slickheadhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slickheadhunter (7)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is very tasty tobacco,if you like burley and can handle the nicotine hit you get with this one then you will love it also.I am a huge burley lover and I believe Cornell & Diehl blends some of the best bureys in the buisness! Very flavorful and burns very cleanly to a fine ash.For some reason this burley blend nocks me over with nicotine,perhaps its because I like the taste so much and tend to smoke this blend rapidly.Excellent.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Wow! The tin aroma of this stuff is potent and very complex. The tin says “a dash of Perique” but the ripe cheese and earthy scent of it fills the room when the tin is first opened. Ghostly hints of sweet Virginia and the flat dried-bean, nut-like scent of the Burley play a supporting role to the tasty Perique. Other scents I've picked out in the tin aroma include, cured hay, silage, sour-dough, black tea, mushrooms, damp earth, latex (natural rubber), whole wheat bread, dusty barns, and worn old leather.

Fragile, beautiful flakes, really need little rubbing out. Lights and burns very well.

Smoke has much less complexity on the palate, but it's pleasant. Like over-roasted nuts and notes of cured hay and new-mown grass. Perique flavor is thin and ghostlike. Flavors move through a range of strength from medium to almost non-existent. But remember, this is a mostly Burley flake, so even if the flavor seems mild, there is A LOT of nicotine in this one.

As I smoked more bowls, I noticed a tendency to get cigarette-like near the bowls end. The same ashy cigarette smoke smell dominates the room note, especially a few hours after finishing the pipe. I smoked 3-4 packs a day for twenty years, I finally quit, and I'd rather not taste or smell cigarettes from my pipes.

Pipe Gent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Gent (8)

Not only was this my first burley, but it was also the first pipe-full I had that really tasted like I was smoking a great cigar (but with a filter tip). While it is straightforward, I have yet to find a purer burley that is this sparse, yet complex and savory. I have found it smokes best in a straight group three billiard and that the cigar qualities come out the most in this pipe shape. Of course this is only my preference, and it consistently tastes outstanding in all my burley pipes of all sizes. I will add that this is a stronger nicotine blend, one I go to after work to unwind and collect my thoughts. Like other burleys and cigars, the sumatra earthiness and leathery flavors are there, which personally go very well with rye or scotch (which are usually the choice beverages to go with such tastes). Needless to say, this is outstanding burley; a must try.

Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Strong

This is my favorite from the Burley Flake series, not so overwhelming in nicotine conent as #1 and #2 and a bit sweeter, probably due to higher Virginia proportion.

I won't be buying it again since I prefer any of the MacBaren's burleys, but this is quality tobacco.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)

I like Burley blends and this is one of the best. Has the great base notes of Burley - nutty - with hints of sweetness from the Virginia and a nice level of spice from Perique. Well balanced. Burns clean and does not get bitter at the bottom of the bowl. I like the flake presentation too. As with most tin tobacco, I left the lid off overnight bringing it to a moisture content I like. Along with Burley Flake #4, and MacBaren's London Blend, I am a happy camper.

grymmeller Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grymmeller (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

It was not up until now(08:22 2010-09-03) I learned about the tobaccomanufacturors with the trade mark "CORNELL & DIEHL inc."browsing around in the site for pleasure and advise.Trough thorough investigation I found the apropriate merchant in USA and sent application and retail for a modest batch of some of their finest in stock.aaaaaaaaaaaaaathe tin with the four star brand "BURLEY FLAKE #3"caught my immediate attention for a direct survey.Soft and moist,somewhat spongy type of flake in 3mm slices perfectly packed with care in a common tincan,smelling of perique tobacco and the overwehlming cacao aroma from the burleytobacco....nice.I recomend a big bowl,this is one of the best burleys I ever have smoked.Clean taste of tobacco with the perfectly balanced addition of virginia and perique,an accentuation of the burleystyle tobacco that enhances itself very generously,with very small means indeed.This is a masterpiece.BF#3 is easy to tuck down in the bowl,needs a if not agressive so intensive lighting up,it is pretty moist though,but burns perfectly if you start it up with a real cloud.My new everyday choise besides "Brobergs Burley".

karnevil9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
karnevil9 (17)

Another home run from C&D. Agree with most of the comments. I normally stay away from flake tobacco, I just don't want to bother with it, so I just cut the strips in small cubes with a pair of scissors, so its cube cut. A little too moist straight out of the tin however. I dried mine on a sheet of tin foil. For the burley lover without a doubt. The Perique was also very tasty and well done. Didn't taste alot of the Virginia however which was fine, the blend was mixed perfectly. I wished it came in bulk. I really can't say enough about the offering from C&D. The best tobacco people on the planet

My tin presented broken strips ~ 2" long that were easy to pack. However, in my view, the moisture content from the tin was too high and drying made for more consistent packing and allowed easier initial lights and prevented numerous relights. Smoked cool and smooth without any bite or condensation but I didn't sense much contribution from the Perique. I still prefer the taste of my straight VAs or Va/Pers but if you favor Burleys, this is a good one.

Mystic Rune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mystic Rune (35)

This is a super smooth burley with plenty of body. An "OJK Light" in flake form. The perique is very tame and you get a decent, but not over the top dose of vitamin N.

Phantom55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phantom55 (29)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

A very nice full flavored and full bodied burley. I usually avoid flakes as too much trouble, but this one is easy to handle. Comes a bit damp, but isn't a problem for me. I smoke the flakes as they come in a large bowled pipe. Just grasp what I think is the right amount and stuff it into the pipe, and trim the top. A little difficult to get going, but once it is, it just smolders all the way down, and is very cool burning. Puff it up a bit and experience the strength, but the nic is certainly not excessive. This is one I am going to keep on hand.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

A full meaty flake. Burley, earthy, smooth, cool, and rich. That's most of what I taste. The burley domninates but is not bitter.

I agree it tastes in flake form somewhat like other full C&D burleys -- OJK and Haunted Bookshop for example. But it is smoother.

Nice flakes, easy to rub out to one's pleasure.

LZ of the tobacco newsletter ranked this 3rd or "mildest" in strength out of the three new flakes by C&D (1, 2, and 3). To me, it ranks 2d or 1st, but still working on no. 1.

A lot of body here, maybe more than Burley Flake by Solani. But latter is more elegant.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

HO HO HO!!!!! This is what I'm talkin about!

Burley Flake #3. Pop the tin and you get a nice scent of Burley and Perique. Nice. Americana in a tin.

The flakes need a bit of drying for me, then I fully rubbed out. Surprisingly, this tasted a lot like Old Joe Krantz to me. Which is a favorite of mine! Score! This differed in that the flavors were more unified, and the smoke was SSSMMMOOOOOOTTTTHHHH. The bowl burned merrily along with nary a relight. Strength was Med Strong...I felt the effects..My the room got warm.... Joy. The flavor stayed consistent to the end, no typical burley bitterness near the end. The perique was assertive, not overpowering...Very Tasty. This flake is one for the books. Great stuff!!!