BrandTed's Pipe Shoppe
3.6
Choctaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Choctaw (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Those of you who read this review should know that I am a relative novice as a pipe smoker. Oddly, I find reviewing tobacco quite similar to reviewing wine and spirits, and this I have done rather extensively over the past 30 years. With this said, you may wish to give greater weight to the opinions of the more experienced pipe smokers.

I suppose there isn't much I can add to the comments of other reviewers. But, there are a few things I have to say:

First, this is simply a subline tobacco blend. Along with Ted's County Cork blend, it represents my favorite. It delivers a very smooth smoke of medium strength and intensity. I am particularly fond of the rather prodigious quantity of smoke it generates - veritable clouds of wonderful, aromatic smoke! The room note is exceeding pleasant and my wife loves it.

Killarney can smoke a bit the warm side. In fact, it can (if one aggravates the problem by adding too much oxygen to the mix by aggressive draws) be hot as hell. Still, it does't bite, remains smooth, flavorful and aromatic to the end. The mix lights and burns efficiently and consumes all of the tobacco in an average bowl in 30-45 minutes.

Killarney is offered by Ted's Pipe Shoppes of Tulsa, Oklahoma - one of the most enjoyable places to shop, shoot the bull, and get pipe smoking and tobacco advice in the nation. Don't be put off by the fact that this small business in Oklahoma (of all places) is the driving force behind this and the other blends discussed under the "Ted's" listing here. They simply produce a world-class product and back it up with superb customer service and a pleasant outlook.

Killarney is, along with "County Cork", my No. 1 blend. Highly recommended - two thumbs up and 4 STARS!

Pipe Used: Old GBD's, a Burberry,and a Petersons.

Age When Smoked: New-Fresh

Purchased From: Ted's Pipe Shoppe, Utica Square, Tulsa, OK

cws Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cws (1)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Enjoyed my first bowl of Killarney last night - as I christened my new indoor smoking room. The wife sat next to me the entire time and commented on the great smells, despite the heavy smoke filling the room.

Will definitely be a staple for me. Loved it.

Pipe Used: Peterson 306

Age When Smoked: brand new, just opened

Purchased From: Ted's Pipe Shoppe

Hollywood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hollywood (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a very plesent smoke. Lots of smoke, slightly sweet smoke with a hint of vanilla. I can see why this is the best seller for the store. Good room note, easy to pack in the bowl and very little dottle. It can get sour at the very end and tends to smoke warm.

Donaldusmaximus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Donaldusmaximus (2)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Killarney is my favorite smoke. This is good stuff, there really is nothing left to say other than a brief description. Vanilla and fruitiness with a very pleasent aroma and taste. Just a very fine quality smoke. Can be a little tricky to get lit but it burns slow and mellow. LOVE IT!. However, I do feel that I need to add that to me personally this blend is best enjoyed outdoors in the fall or early spring. To me it is more of a cool weather smoke but I do smoke it year round. Enjoy.

CLRV Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CLRV (14)

As a relatively new pipe smoker, I've been exploring a lot of the primary schools of taste. Killarney is Ted's Pipe Shoppe's best selling blend- and it's easy to see why.

It's a not too sweet (at least to my palette) American style aromatic. Comes slightly too moist for my preference- however a quick drying takes care of that. There is little to no sludge at the bottom of the bowl after a round, in comparison to some other aromatics I have tried.

The tobacco burns evenly, though sometimes slightly hot if you aren't paying attention. The smoke is thick and creamy. Vanilla taste, mixed with some very mild fruitiness. A very good morning smoke or for those who are aromatic lovers.

A great tobacco.