A full bodied traditional U.S. Blend, with a robust taste reminiscent of blends from the mid-20th century. This flavorful blend contains exotic air-cured Burley, flue-cured Gold Leaf and Oriental tobaccos from around the world. A full bodied, traditional pipe blend, with a robust taste. Crafted to Satisfy Distinctive Tastes and Preferences. No chemical flavorings or casings added.

BrandD & R Tobacco
2.0
CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (126)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Pure tobacco flavor all the way through. Although I've never smoked cigarettes (only gars and briar), the smell reminds me a bit of cigarettes. The tobacco flavor is a bit sharp/edgy and somewhat unbalanced, although the burley adds a bit of balance. Don't get much sweetness from the blend. Not as strong as Picayune. Might be a good blender for lightweight blends that need a boost. Nicotine is there, but doesn't make my head swim. Burns quickly and cleanly. 2+*.

Pipe Used: Italian Basket 35+ years old.

Age When Smoked: Undated tin; bought 1 month ago

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Picayune.

I have to confess that when I received about an ounce of Cockstrong from a TR friend, I honestly thought this was going to be bad from the get go. It looks like a tobacco used for RYO. The first couple of bowls started out well and the taste is pure tobacco. It may be in the top five pure tobacco blends I have tried in terms of nothing on it. Zip, nada, nothing in the casing department. Although I can say that it isn’t raw Burley as it doesn’t have the very harsh flavor that comes from untreated Burley. Given the name of this blend, I don’t think it is for its strength as Coskstrong has its fair share of Lady N, but I wouldn’t call it strong. The blend doesn’t bite, but it arrives dry and could burn hot as it didn’t take me very long to get through a bowl. I don’t pick up any sweetness from the Virginias at all. It doesn’t have the fullness of some of the other “purer” tobacco blends that I have tried, but more of a medium body smoke. Cockstrong is for pipe smokers that want a pure tobacco taste with no sweetness and a “set it and forget it” all day smoke. For that reason, I think Cockstrong hits the mark.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (79)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

...Whatever the name of this tobacco implies, I'll leave up to the individual to define. My teenage sons think its a "hoot" that their "old man" smokes a blend by this name.

I like some of the D&R tobaccos and applaud M. Ryan...while this is a full bodied blend and perhaps is stout and robust, it is not overwhelming. I rather enjoy the interplay between the Burley, Virginia's and Orientals and while not complex, the "earthy" taste and aroma suit me well.

It is rather dry (I buy it in 14 oz. bags)so I do hydrate it and tend to keep it moist as I find it develops more taste and keeps the burn rate where I like it. A great blend for larger bowls and I quite enjoy this with coffee or a good sour mash whiskey.

...a pipe is to be savored...

Pipe hound in PalmSprings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe hound in PalmSprings (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

This has to be the worst I have encountered. I bought this over the net because of the review and the name intrigued me. This may be cigarette tobaco sold as pipe. Horrible taste. Glad I only have 40 grams. Flavorless, flat and just awful.