A tangy blend of the finest flue-cured Gold Leaf tobaccos, a unique dark-fired tobacco that has been processed by the Perique method, and a touch of Latakia for spice and passion. This extraordinary tobacco has been blended to combine the fruity essence of the Perique process and the smoky warmth of dark-fired tobaccos. No flavorings added. Balance of Flue-Cured and Rare Perique Tobaccos.

Notes: Rimboché A.B. melds sweet Virginias with the unique flavor of Acadian Black ("A.B" is a specially fermented fire-cured perique), and adds a bit of Latakia for singular character.

BrandD & R Tobacco
Blended ByMark Ryan
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsLatakia, Perique, Virginia
Packaging40g Tin, 3.5oz Tin, 14oz Bag
Strength
Taste
Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong

The first thing that hit my taste buds was the tangy spice from the dark fired tobacco that was processed by the perique method. It is a little raisiny, figgy, smoky and woody, too. There’s a “touch” of latakia present, but noticeable in most every puff and adds a sweet, very smoky, woodiness. I think more than a touch is present, but the latakia always plays back up. The flue cured gold Virginias are the base for the other components to shine; grassy and hay-like with some citrus and a drop or two of honey. Has no toppings. Very well balanced with a consistent flavor to the finish. Leaves no moisture in the bowl, and hardly needs a relight. It does benefit a little from some hydration, but it does very well dry, and isn’t really necessary due to the richness of flavors. And I seldom smoke bone dry tobacco. Has a mild to medium nic-hit. Will not bite, but the spice is pleasantly tingly all the way, including the pleasant after taste. Can be an all day smoke.

-JimInks

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (130)
Very Strong None Detected Full Strong

This Blend is not for everybody. The Virginia and Latakia makes the room note pleasant to us smokers. The "Wife Rating" is probably est described as "danger'.

An excellent outdoor cool weather smoke that I find refreshing. The nicotine strength is very high,so be careful. This tobacco get you arguing with yourself and you are sure to lose the argument.

Pipe Used: Raw full bent

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 3 months

Alhaji Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alhaji (33)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

There was nothing about this tobacco that needed hydration. I got the 3.5oz plastic tub. Mine was the right moisture, neither wet nor dry, and ready to smoke straight away.

I can't be sure what it smelled of in the tub, perhaps some 'woodsy' fragrance. It was pleasant to smoke with a certain balance in which none of the ingredients overplayed its hand. There was sure some spicy sweetness to it that let off a fairly strong nicotine content. It seems to me that it is one tobacco that can also be used as an RYO (roll-your-own) blend though it's cousin, Three Sails which is a 'shag' seems to fit in that role more appropriately.

All in all, a good blend especially given that it comes at a bargain.

michaelc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
michaelc (40)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I was somewhat disappointed with this blend. After having smoked a tin of Rimboche S.J., I was expecting more in this tobacco blend. It was just OK in my opinion. The sweetness I was hoping for was not there and the taste of any Latakia was almost nonexistent. Maybe I am too picky, but when a blend description says there is Latakia I really want to taste it. As for the dark fired Perique, it seemed minimal as well. The Virginias offered not much in the sweetness department. I rated this with two stars because some who want a very mild smoke may like it. As for me, I'll finish my 40 gram tin and not buy anymore. (one day later) I hate to admit when I am mistaken, but I must reevaluate this blend. When first I smoked this last night it was not a fair test. I had just finished another pipe of my favorite VaPer so the memory and taste of that blend was fresh on my mind and in my mouth. This morning, bright and early, I refilled my pipe and lit up again. The outcome was decidedly different. I found the smoke to be full of very pleasant flavor. The Virginias shown through with a very sweet taste, but the Perique and Latakia were very much in the background. Personally I like more of each when I smoke a blend with these two components present. My evaluation therefore is moved upward to recommended. It tastes good, but not my bowl of smoke.

Pipe Used: Lorenzo bent prince

A very unique and interesting tobacco. The Virginias are sweet hay. The Lat is a mild smoke in the background. The star is the Acadian Black. Usually, when a Burley has gone through the Perique process, there's no nuttiness left in the flavor. Here there is a nutty, earthy note along with the usual dark fruit associated with Perique. Also a nice spice hit and an extra bit of tang from the dark firing process. This stuff has a lovely flavor. I think I better stock up on this one.

Medium in body. Medium to full in taste. No added flavoring. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

D & R Tobacco - Rimboche A.B.

The tobacco arrives a little on the dry side. Not 'crunchy', but could do with being moister. The ribbons are mostly medium brown, there's a few darker or lighter ones, and they're fine in build.

The dark fired Perique really fills out the flavour, and is easily the strongest of the leaves; giving quite a full taste and a good amount of nicotine! The Virginia has nowhere near as much flavour, I guess it could be described as filling out the build but not the taste; the heavy Perique smothers the Virginia, somewhat. Now the Latakia? I can't identify any smokiness from it, the dark fired leaf takes that crown, but a woodiness comes through after a quarter bowl. The fine cut and dryness cause an inadequate burn: too warm and quite fast. I get no bite.

Nicotine: above medium. Room-note: quite strong.

If I were rating A.B. on flavour alone it would easily score four stars. But, because of the dryness I'll rate it with three. I can't go any lower when the taste is this good!

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Altiinok Lee Van Cleef: Friday pipe

Age When Smoked: June 13 2017

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (66)

I don't understand why D&R pipe tobacco is not more popular. Dollar for dollar, Mark Ryan produces some of the finest tobacco available today. His leaf is top quality and his blends are original and quintessentially American.

Rimboché A.B. is a perique lovers dream. From start to finish, the perique-processed Gold leaf is the star of the show. Upon light up, one is presented with the most delicious fruity perique flavors, without any of the spiciness that sometimes overwhelms heavy-perique blends. Midway through the smoke, the flavors become more nutty. It took me a while to figure exactly out what I was tasting -- pecans and walnuts. Toward the end, the flavor changes subtlety, reminding me of a fine cognac.

The Virginias are a co-star, providing a welcome note of toffee-like sweetness that becomes more pronounced toward the second half of the smoke. The Latakia is very much in the backround but nevertheless felt. You never really taste it but its presence makes itself known by adding a depth of flavor that one does not find in any other VaPer that I have tried (and I've tried many).

As delivered, the moisture level is perfect. Loaded using the gravity method, it lights easily and burns as cool as any tobacco I have smoked. It burns to a light gray ash and leaves no moisture in the bowl.

If I had to classify Rimboché A.B., I would call it an aromatic. While it contains Virginias and Perique, it is much more flavorful than your typical VaPer.

Rimboché A.B. is a sipping tobacco. Smoke it slowly and savor it. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Pipe Used: Large Stanwell briar

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Not like anything else that I have smoked.

Mork Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mork (36)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Dark, deep tobacco flavor. Apparently the dark fired is processed in the same way as perique, which yields an unusual taste profile that is actually fairly difficult to described. Definitely has a spiced overtone to it that remains throughout the bowl. This was also the first truly "nutty" tasting tobacco I have had. It presents as this slightly bitter walnut profile, that same bite and sour coating. Then the nutty flesh smoothing tones. Essentially this is a solid tobacco flavor forward blend with the spiciness as secondary player. Wore my palette out pretty quickly.