A premium, medium bodied Virginia Blend composed of the finest quality 100% flue-cured Gold Leaf tobaccos. Delight in the light yellow leaf color, savor the pleasant and distinctive aroma, and enjoy the smooth and satisfying taste. No chemical flavorings added

BrandD & R Tobacco
Blended ByMark Ryan

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

A forum friend gave me a tin of this he acquired at the Chicago show. I read the reviews and seen that many felt this to be a roll your own blend, so I decided to try it to free up space in my cellar. It is indeed, a RYO blend and has no business in a pipe.

I believe Tobacco Reviews is about reviewing true pipe tobacco and not tobacco called pipe tobacco to get around taxes on cigarette tobacco. As such this is a one star not recommended blend. It very well may make a good ryo tobacco and I guess I will find out as I am giving the rest of it to my brother who rolls his own cigarettes. Regardless of his feedback, I will not change this rating due to the fact that it is not pipe tobacco.

What I can't understand is why it is in a tin.

Pipe Used: clay

louis bailey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
louis bailey (3)

Good grade of Virginia tobaccos. Absolutely no stems,seeds or shake. VERY few bits of leaf vein. Great taste,and I detected no flavorings. I stuff in full flavor tubes,and didnt get the "hit" on intake that one expects from a cig...however the taste is in a class of its own,and the nicotine level is great..Im a former Camel filter smoker,so for me to detect nicotine in a has to be THERE!! This tobacco in a ff tube is almost as close as you can get to a Marlboro light or medium. Pretty much identicle. I seriously doubt I could tell the difference between them and this tobacco if I were blindfolded. Good by itself,or as a mixer.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (100)

Truly, this is a RYO 'baccy. In a pipe, I found it very one-dimensional, somewhat tasty (for a cigarette smoker, which I'm not anymore). Mind you, the tobacco is good quality, I've no qualms over that. I never finished my tin of this stuff. I now use it as a blender—and, in that role, it's been a good partner. So, in the end, this is not a very good pipe tobacco smoked straight.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (183)

Windsail Platinum is my girls favorite blend of RYO as it is very light and extremely high quality. She went from smoking Parliament cigs to WSP and has never looked back. WSP is a standard ribbon cut that's perfect for your average hand roller that stuffs tubes and is very light both in taste and aroma but the quality is off the charts. This company blows just about every other RYO tobacco out of the water, the only company I prefer more is Bali Shag Blue Halfzware and that's due to the unique topping and strength but would be more than happy if all I had to smoke was D&R stuck on a deserted island... 4 stars for RYO, 3 for a pipe...