Named in memory of Ken The Pirate, who was a friend to all at Smokers Forum. Beginning with a 60% base of Lemon and Red Virginia, five Burleys in lesser but equal amounts are added, along with 5% Deer Tongue. This results in a sweet and nutty medium blend with a character all its own.

BrandJohn Patton
FlavoringDeer Tongue
Strength
Taste
Nurse_Maduro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nurse_Maduro (27)

I didn't know the man this blend was dedicated to; although he did use the same message board as me, our paths never crossed. Nevertheless, I'd like to think I've learned something about him based on the few bowls of Desert Pirate I've smoked. If I've learned anything from Patton's blends, it's that he does nothing without thought, and I believe this to be the case here.

Desert Pirate is far from a one-note experience. The sweet fruitiness of the Virginias combined with the nuttiness of the burleys adds a complexity that grows as the bowl progresses. It's not a wimpy blend by any means, but neither is it as bold as the burleys alone would be. Smoking this, it is easy to imagine that The Pirate was a straight-shooter, but with a bit of a quirkiness and a sense of humor. Of course, the messages he left behind will remain for others to peruse, so I could be wrong...but I don't think so. This blend speaks.

It's a bit on the dry side and does run a little hot at times (so it will bite a bit if smoked too fast), but maybe that's the "Desert" part of its name. I don't really taste the Deer Tongue, but I imagine I would notice if it wasn't there. Overall, this is another solid blend by John Patton.