English mixture

Blend TypeVirginia/Latakia
ContentsLatakia, Virginia
Packaging50g tin
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium to Full, Full
3.7
Mild None Detected Full Pleasant

A superb Virginia forward blend that battled with the smoky Syrian Latakia for top billing. The Oriental touch was ever so slight but the cool spice could be noted playing peekaboo between the strands of Deeply rich and dark Virginia and Syrian leaf. This blend was unusual to me in that it always plastered my palate with heavy waves of English style flavor, but the strength of the blend was rather mild by comparison. I do not know why Sillems ever dropped this one from their menu, but it was always a crowd favorite when still in production. And yes, considered to be so good it is legendary among the old guard.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Don't think this is made anymore, but when I got this early 90's tin I just had to review it. I wonder if anyone else has tried it? I really like the way a mild English tastes when aged for a while. Fermented Virginia, noticable yet muted Latakia, smooth and no harshness whatsoever. It has a rather caramel aroma in the tin and this carries over to the smoke.

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (52)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A friend just gave me half a tin from the 80's, complaining that it burned out too fast. I have not had that experience, but I thought it grand. Top of the bowl was dry, Va-forward, cool & light in flavor. Mid-bowl the flavor picked up a lot, the lat coming thru in delightful waves. Bottom was still smooth & cool, but heavily latakia-forward & much sweeter. I will try some modern SIllem's because this was a real treat.

Pipe Used: Meer, cob

Age When Smoked: 30 nyrs

Purchased From: Unknown

Similar Blends: light English.