A mild golden cavendish tobacco. Fragrant and slow- burning.

Notes: In their origin, it was from Netherlands, then it was produced by Theodorus Niemeyer, branded in Denmark. Now by Orlik; in some countries by The Scandinavion Tobacco Group (Denmark)

BrandHolland House

2.7
renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (59)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I had wanted to try this tobacco was years and just never got round to it. In fact I am sure I remember this stuff OTC in England in the 70's and 80's, alongside Clan, St Bruno and Erinmore.

Indeed another reviewer said something similar, although they could have been from the US, where as we all know going to a supermarket store must be like going into a sweet shop for us poor British, who have to order from the internet, or find a that rarity a tobacconist when in a big city.

This is a pretty ordinary blend, has no real taste as such, and certainly isn't like the old crap we get in British supermarkets (all hidden behind metal shutters) like mellow Virginia or the godawful St Bruno.

Yes, this is friendly enough, reasonably easy to pack, doesn't need drying out and stays lit mostly. It just doesn't taste of anything. Reminds me of some of Peterson's tasteless offerings.

Inoffensive pouch aroma, inoffensive room note. All inoffensive really.

If you could still buy this at the supermarket I'd buy it, sure I would. But if they had Cravens I'd think twice.

Pipe Used: CC

Purchased From: GK Tobaccos Nottingham UK

Similar Blends: Peterson's blends.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)

Reminds me of Troost Special Cavendsh. Depending on who is reading, that could be a good or a bad thing. Im not a huge fan of Dutch Cavendishes with the exception of Sail Yellow (which this is nothing like) To me this was just another aromatic blend that was neither overwhelming nor underwhelming, i doubt id buy it again.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is antique recipe, from Holland, now produced by Orlik, Denmark.

It have notes of Maple and Apple, aromatic, but not sweet. Instead, is Bite, Bitter, even irritative. Seems Black Pepper...

It is not slow burning, burns hot and fast, despite their low Nicotine ammount.

May be good, it has good quality, but it is not a blend for me, for my preferences, my choice.

Pipe Used: 3, Bertoldi, Brazil

Age When Smoked: recently Purchased

Purchased From: Tabacaria Virtual, Brazil

cherry6110 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cherry6110 (1)

I have been smoking pipe since 2007, have tried multiple blends but Holland House Cherry Cavendish is without a doubt the best blend. Where can one purchase this in the UK as I have recently arrived from South Africa where it is quite common but having difficulty in purchasing it here...........

silvatorres Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
silvatorres (5)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

This was the second tobacco i've tried since i got back into pipe smoking.

At first i felt some tong bite, it surely is stronger than Clan, the one i was smoking before.

After a few bowls, i guess its taste came at last, having i got into the correct timing of puffing. The taste is somewhat sweet, and liquorish. I got myself a new pipe, a cheap one, to try out some of the many tricks around pipe smoking: I cleaned my new cheap pipe with a portuguese liquor called "Licor Beirão". I pulled a nice and sweet flavor out of it. I've enjoyed it in several contexts, either by the riverside, or at home with some coffee, reading a book, it truly is a pleasant tobacco. It leaves a pleasant room note, quite woman friendly indeed, as mentioned before by others.

I'll buy some more packs in the future for sure.

Tobacconists Aprentice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacconists Aprentice (20)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

My boss is a huge fan of this tobacco and its his everyday smoke, after some cajoling he got me to try a pack. I was very pleasantly surprised.

The tin-note is of nuts, leather, and creamy caramel giving a sugestion of heavy topping. The cut is a shred or broad ribbon and only sligtly moist giving the impression of a fast burning blend. Both Impressions were false.

The pipe fills well but is a devil to light and keep lit. Once lit it is a cool, smooth, fairly slow burning smoke with just the right amount of sweetness and a clean tobacco taste coming through afterward. it scarcely bites even when drawn on hard and is a full smoke to the end of the bowl.

The room note is of light tobacco and slight cream.

The irritation of lighting and the frequent tamping needed for a long smoke can be removed by filling the top of the pipe with something bland and inoffensive (I use Clan); which kindles well and gets the pipe burning fiercely. It then smokes evenly with little re-lighting needed.

A very fine blend with just a hint of topping on a quality tobacco tasting cavandish base. It is also very good value for money at about £5.25 for 25g. A must for those looking for a wife-friendly smoke.

Upon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Upon (13)

For once, the souvenir proved a pleasant surprise. Smell of almonds, caramel and liquor, not Amaretto though. Seems to consist mostly of ribbon cut quality Virginia. Both the tobacco and the topping taste perfectly natural and there is no chemical aftertaste. Furthermore, the nicotine level has thankfully not been manipulated as so often is case with drugstore blends. HH Mellow Golden Cavendish preserves the natural mildness of the processed tobacco. Will certainly buy this again.

Nice aromatic. Almost no tongue bite, mildly flavored, a good all- day blend at a great price.

PTpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PTpipe (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

2 (Black Cavendish version, Highly Recommended 4)

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)

This is another pipe tobacco that I have tried in the later 90's. A dutch version of heavily cased cavendish types. I would compare it with Captain Black Royal. Good but not worth a regular puff. Try it only if u are into heavy aromatix.

Raffles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raffles (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Strong

Thirty years ago this was OTC alongside Clan and Zephyr, and similarly packaged. I didn't like Clan, so never tried the other two, assuming they would be similar. Well, Holland House is nothing like Clan. And in its modern form it's no longer a ribbon cut (was it ever?) but has the appearance of a well-broken flake. It's a light aromatic, with every suggestion there's decent tobacco underlying.

I had a 25g pouch jarred for over a year: it was fairly dry, and for me it burned warm (not hot) at a medium rate, no bite, no pepperiness, and with just enough nicotine to notice it's there. One curious thing - the after smell from only a single bowl lingers much longer than normal, and may not be entirely agreeable to all.

Taipanmamba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taipanmamba (16)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I used to really enjoy this blend when I first started smoking a pipe but over the years my tastes have matured and I dont really think it is anything special now. Pleasant packaging - looks very continental european. Pretty mild pouch aroma with no discernable unique flavour- simple ribbon cut . Straight forward packing . I find this does better in a large bowl - the extra air allows for smooth burning although it can sometimes burn hot . Pleasant room note . Taste is best around the mid point- I get a nice caramel flavour. Little complexity but not an unpleasant smoke . Probably a good tobacco to start smoking pipes with but this wont make my regular rotation . A definate 2 star blend.

skylonrow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
skylonrow (2)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

This was my first time smoking a pipe and so I think a lot of this is to do with how I smoked it ect.

The tobacco itself just in the pouch has a very nice aroma to it, very sweet. I found that it was quite dry in the pouch, although a lot of people have said it has a much better taste if you leave it to dry for a month or so I was smoking straight out of the pouch. It was quite strong smelling and there wasn't too much flavour (In my opinion). I smoked two bowls and they both smelt very strongly of just general cigarette tobacco. The smoke itself was very smooth, it was easy to get lit and stayed lit which was very good. Some people have said about issues with tongue bite, when I was smoking the blend I could feel a tingling on my tongue, but I had no issues with tongue bite, some people may be more inclined to get tongue bite from this so be warned. Although I wasn't a huge fan of this blend, I think I will buy it again for when I go walking or camping.

John Frum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
John Frum (15)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I first bought a pouch of Holland House in the late 60's on the basis of its aroma, which I found irresistible. I recall it wasn't a bad smoke back in those days, certainly better than Clan. Coming back to pipe-smoking recently, I revisited HH fairly swiftly and still absolutely love the aroma, and find it smokes as well as I recall. As suggested by the other reviewers here, it will bite and turn bitter if provoked, but the key seems to be in drying, and in smoking technique. It can be smoked straight from the pouch, but my experience is that it needs a little time to dry out, maybe sitting in the pipe before sparking up. Am finishing a 6-month old pouch and it is now dry enough to smoke straight away. But it always benefits from sipping, as do many other fine weeds. I'd say give this one a try if you are sympathetic to aromatics at all. I particularly enjoy HH as a "walking" tobacco, as am a keen hill rambler. I can't understand why there are so few reviews of this tobacco! To summarise, I find the taste and aroma very pleasant, the latter hinting at chocolate and liquorice. The only down side is it seems to burn relatively quickly no matter how restrained the technique. Definitely a firm favourite with this smoker.

(Incidentally I used to like Zephyr, which, along with Clan and Holland House were the main three Dutch blends on tobacconists' shelves in times past. If anyone knows how I can get hold of some Zephyr without leaving the UK, please get in touch! Have tried in vain.)

macpuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
macpuffer (17)

i first tried this blend over 20 years ago.......on visiting my local tobacconist (one of the few remaining in scotland) i saw this tobacco an though i would give it another try. on opening the pouch the tobacco smelt much as i remember it, very little "artificial" flavouring, just a wonderful aromatic sweet and nutty smell. Easy to pack into the pipe and very easy to keep alight. The first bowlful however was a bit of a letdown.....the first few puffs and i tasted that wonderful, almost nutty flavour, but after that the tobacco burned very hot and bitter. On subsequent bowls, and i have now finished the pouch,i employed a less hurried rate of smoking, the taste of the tobacco was there right through the smoke, nutty and full of flavour. i must admit that like other reviewers of this tobacco, i have to agree it packs a fairly high punch in the nicotine stakes..! Overall a very enjoyable smoke with a wonderful natural aromatic room note, worth trying if you can find some......good Dutch style tobacco.....now made in Denmark...!!

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (110)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Holland House is a sort of cousin to Clan (qv), with the same Dutch pedigree: both are (or were) made by the same company, Theodorus Niemeyer. If memory serves, they both came onto the UK market at about the same time - in the mid-1960s. I imagine that they were both aimed at the same sort of customer: the young pipe-smoker who wanted something a little new and trendy and different from what the old timers were smoking.

HH is a much classier tobacco than the lamentable Clan. It's an aromatic, but a civilised and restrained one. The flavour is full and natural: one doesn't get the kind of chemical, artificial impression that so many aromatics give. I think the previous reviewer captures its qualities nicely: leather, scotch, honey, liquorice. I'm not completely sure about the liquorice; but there's nothing bizarre or overstated here, and the flavour of the tobacco is not swamped or distorted by the casing. HH is a fine-cut and dryish tobacco that can be loaded into the pipe without any preparation or fuss. As such, it lights and burns easily, though the down side of this (in my experience) is that it burns away quickly and tends to be rather a hot smoke. It's not ferociously hot, but 'slow-burning' is rather an optimistic description of it. It will dry out quickly, also. It's fairly strong in terms of nicotine content – surprisingly so, actually - and has a pleasant and natural-seeming room note.

Not being a lover of aromatics, I can't say that I positively like Holland House, but I can see its virtues – especially as a tobacco for the newcomer to the pipe. It needs to be smoked carefully and with restraint, though, or it'll bite your tongue. Recommended, then – with a few reservations, but recommended nonetheless. To say the least of it, Holland House is a country mile ahead of Clan. I think it's fair to say that it succeeds in being what Clan tries to be. If you like Clan, you'll like Holland House more.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)

I tried this so-called drugstore blend just for the heck of it, firmly expecting to hate it. Well, after a few bowls I loved it so much that I rushed out and bought several pouches to cellar just in case this tasty treat were to suddenly disappear! Holland House is not widely available globally, although in some countries - like South Africa - it can be bought at most convenience stores and hence would qualify as a drugstore blend. It is currently also available from a few online dealers.

The blend is dominated by Virginia. It also contains dark Burley, dark fired Kentucky and a touch of Oriental. The tobacco is medium to dark brown in appearance. It is a fine ribbon cut, almost tending towards shag cut. It lights and burns very easily.

The pouch smell is divine. Leather, leather and more leather! Add a fine single malt scotch, a touch of honey and a hint of liquorice and you are done. This is not a sweet, confectionary type of aromatic. One doesn't think of food when smelling this. It has a delicious, masculine aroma!

In the beginning I experienced quite a tang after lighting up. At first I thought it was tongue bite in the making but then realized that it was simply the Virginia's zest  like that of a good salsa. The leather, scotch, honey and liquorice prevent this zest from ever becoming too sharp. This tobacco is flavourful and provides a lovely full mouthfeel. It is no lightweight in the strength department either. Simply a wonderful smoke! It has never hurt my mouth any more than, say, the aforementioned salsa, although I suspect it will bite when overpuffed.

The room note is lovely but not in the same way as, say, a vanilla or cherry aromatic. I recently asked a lady friend, just after I had lit up, what she smelled. She closed her eyes and let her head drop back as a gesture of enjoyment and said, "Wood. Exotic wood." I still smell leather and scotch and honey and liquorice, but I guess exotic wood is good too!