Burley, Latakia and Perique in an uncommonly harmonious natural blend. (A mixture for you old Fordham fans!)

Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Perique
Strength
Taste

3.1
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I'm really starting to like these Latakia/Burley blends and this one is superb. Starts with a good balance between the two in the first third. Second third the Burley dominates just slightly. Last third the Latakia makes a comeback bringing it back into balance. The Perique is light throughout. There is an ample amount of sweetness which is much welcome. Great smoke.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

MaSuAnime Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MaSuAnime (3)

Like a cool smoking complex English cigar. The deep flavored shine through with the burley. The Latakia makes it's presence known in the middle of the bowl. The perique dances on the palate making this a cool smoking, slightly sweet American English. Couldn't recommend higher. A new favorite!

Pipe Used: Savinelli Duca Carlo

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Squadron Leader, Balkan Sasieni - Balkan Sasieni.

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (29)
Medium Very Mild Full Unnoticeable

first impression was doubtful--- BUT i had tried it in a 'questionable' pipe--many bowls later, in pipes of proven trust i can say that this one is a very good tobacco---quite enjoyable--and the aroma and flavor is.....well; it's tobacco; plain, pure and simple tobacco--old time tobacco that a codger of my youth would recognize--

it is Burley, with sweetness being provided by Perique rather than Virginia (thank goodness)--yet the Perique isn't an in your face ordeal--it's there, but it is in no way overpowering--the Latakia adds depth and another layer of flavor--

i don't think it is quite as good as Morley's Best (for my taste), but it is a welcome addition to my self imposed limited rotation--

if you're interested in good simple tobacco flavor, give it a try--if you like codger blends i believe you'll enjoy it--you may even make a new friend--

an edit--reason i noted 'room note as unnoticable is that i smoke on an open air screened porch--there is no room note--

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (37)

I’m not quite sure why it’s taken me so long to try this particular blend from C&D. They certainly have a myriad of blends but I tend towards burley plus “something extra”. Two perfect examples are Old Joe Krantz and Pegasus. They epitomize burley plus “something extra” but in different ways. Old Joe Krantz showcases what perique and Virginia can do in a burley blend and Pegasus focuses on Virginia and unsweetened black Cavendish additions. Both are superb but I’ve still been searching for the gap in my rotation that involves burley with latakia and “something extra”. Enter Crowley’s Best.

This blend is much like any other C&D tobacco in terms of moisture and cut. The cut is a chunky ribbon cut and the tobacco moisture is just right although I tend to load up my pipe the night before and let it sit out to help with lighting. Crowley’s Best lights easily, gives a quick burst of latakia and then quickly smooths out into a nutty (think walnut) taste backed up by a slight sweetness. The perique usually doesn’t enter into the fray until the very end of the bowl and adds a slightly spicy and musty character. The latakia is in the background and the components really do act quite harmoniously. The blend seems to burn a little fast but my pipe never gets hot and seems to smolder nicely with a slow smoking cadence. The burley is top notch and every now and again gives a nice dark chocolate note in the nose.

Crowley’s Best fills, for me, the gap that couldn’t be filled by Morley’s Best and Junkyard Dawg. Crowley’s Best is more approachable than the two aforementioned blends since Morley’s Best can be bitingly bitter at times while Junkyard Dawg can nip the tongue because of the Virginia flake. Really it’s a very good all day blend that is harmonious but with a taste that changes just enough to keep you interested throughout the bowl. Certainly a four star blend and another winner from C&D. It’s available in bulk which is good on the pocket book as well.

Pipe Used: Charatan bent pot and Tsuge billiard

Age When Smoked: 0-3 months

Nationwide Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nationwide (1)

It would stand to reason that this is the first tobacco I've reviewed here. When I first began smoking the pipe, I contacted Cornell and Diehl to order a sample pack. Craig Tarler recommended five blends, four of which I smoke to this day. Crowley's Best is one of them (Pirate Kake, Plantation Evening and the now nonexistent Scottish Blend are the other three). Craig knew his stuff.

I like this blend because it is burley concentric, with latakia and perique playing the true roles of condiment tobacco. They are there, but they don't hammer your taste buds into submission. The burley is nutty, toasty and pleasant. This is indeed a harmonious blend, as the description says.

This is not a blend that I would call challenging. Rather, it is a blend that serves as an unobtrusive companion. It is my favorite while driving, reading, grilling outside, etc. because it is there keeping you company rather than demanding your attention...kind of like a loyal pet dog.

If you are looking for a comforting smoke, I highly recommend Crowley's Best. Just realize that it's not a wizz bang latakia bomb, or spicy perique blend. It's a simple burley that has been improved with a dash of "Salt and pepper."

Thanks for reading. Pipe on.

Pipe Used: Various MM cobs and Peterson briars

Purchased From: C&D, pipesandcigars.com

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Remove Virginia and insert Burley. Presto, you've got yourself an untraditional English blend that deserves a shot simply for its unique nature.

It burns cool, clean, dry, and faster than a speeding bullet with a strange although not unpleasant bitter Burley/Latakia finish.

I don't think this one qualifies as a bell ringer.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

If Nightcap were made with burley instead of Virginia, it would be a lot like Crowley's Best. This is a truly fabulous American English; indeed, it is one of the very best.

Rich, pungent, flavorful, easy burning and easy to pack, CB will not bite a bit, even after repeated bowls. I love the earthy, stout burley and the intermingling of the latakia and perique. This should be much more popular than it seems to be.

Wonderful stuff!

karnevil9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
karnevil9 (17)

Still trying to figure out which Crowley this is named after. Aleister Crowley?? IDK. What I do know is that this is outstanding tobacco, and I love it! Along with Morley's Best. I can't decide which one is better. Maybe they are equally outstanding. 5 Stars for Crowley's Best.

Upon further review. I can say this is my favorite. Hands down. I know longer have a rotation. I smoke this solely. This must have be made by some evil genius or something. It is that good.

Irishlefty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irishlefty (19)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant

The big problem I've had with Crowley's Best is that it tastes so good I get in a rut where I don't smoke much else for weeks on end!

Unlike some of the reviewers, I can't tell you the mix of flavors, frankly over 4 decades I have only strayed from the English/Balkan/Oriental blends long enough to try others and very quickly return! I would be the wrong person to ask about aromatics but I do know what I like, what bites me and what doesn't, as long as we are in the area of English/Balkan blends.

C&D makes so many good blends that it was difficult to decide on a favorite but slowly trying one after another and returning to two or three, Crowley's Best became my 'everyday' smoke for quite a while.

Now I rotate Crowley's Best with several of the GLP blends and Plantation Evening, Orient Express and good old Prince Albert.

This is a remarkable smoke - tasty yet smooth enough to smoke several pipes a day and not get 'burned out' or bored with it.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)

This is a most pleasant and entertaining blend for all to enjoy. I'm surprised that others have not taken the time to investigate this delightful medley of familiar leaves. The aroma from the tin makes promises of rich and full flavor that are kept with the smoking expreience. Complex and rewarding, it burns easily with a nutty taste that does not bite. The combination of Perique and Latakia has made many a blend softer and this one is no exception. I like Burley, which can have some bite and bitterness - neither of which did I find here. This all-day mixture is like an old companion that is soft spoken yet true to it's nature. If you like Burley, Pirique and Cyrian Latikia then this is a blend for you, with my highest recommedation. The only suggestion I'd offer would be to use a coarser cut with the Burley.

Meerschaum Man Smoking a Gezer Flying Dragon

morleysson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morleysson (23)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I have an old Sasieni 2 dot full bent billiard that sought the right tobacco as its complement. For years, the pipe just did not seem to be at its potential, as I tried one commercial blend after the other. C&D burley offerings helped considerably, but there was always a missing piece of the puzzle. Fortuitous gesture and I received some of Crowley's Best to sample, even though it is not a new offering, Craig Tarler thought that I might enjoy this blend. How right he was, and how happy that pipe is. Crowley's is an outstanding blend, mostly ribbon rather than broken flake, with a strong burley base and latakia and perique for flavor. Many blends, the components will exert themselves at different times during the smoke. Here, in Crowley's, the approach is a simpler harmony of flavors throughout the smoke, a dynamic in which the burley exerts a balancing to the pungent latakia and the musty qualities of perique. This is, unreservedly, a fine all-day blend, a little quicker burning than I am used to, but steady.

Maxim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maxim (2)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Decided to try tobacco, because named in honor of Aleister Crowley. At least I thought so. I like this tobacco is not the first time, but now I smoke it nearly every day.

Pipe Used: Lorenzetti, Gasparini

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Perfect moisture level, packed well, perfect charring light (didn't need a relight, but I always do one) and took off wonderfully! Nice salt/pepper ash, very fluffy. Over all, not a bad smoke. Nothing to get excited over, but a decent experience. I don't know about calling it "Best". Perhaps Mr. Crowley should refine it a bit more. It was, well, boring. Nothing to keep me smoking it, but as I said, nothing really bad about it either.

I wouldn't recommend this to someone unless what they said they were looking for was this specific type of smoke, but I wouldn't NOT recommend it either, if that makes sense.

OleFattGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OleFattGuy (27)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I got this in a blind test, and guessed that it was a Balkan or English mixture of classical cut. Even when smoking it I thought that the sweetness in this came from stoved and aged VA, not Burley which is the case...

Also, not being accustomed to what/how Perique can shapeshift due to its environment, I didn't suspect anyu trace of it, but rather thought that it was Orientals peeking through...

Well, well. I know better now, and I must say that this is a real winner, especially if you like Dunhills English line or Rattray's RR or ... well any English/Balkan I guess!

Close your eyes and think Balkan, it will be chillingly close!

Phantom55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phantom55 (29)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Another fine burley mixture from C&D. This one is kind of a sleeper though, as I hadn't heard much about it.

Nice ribbon cut tobacco that burns evenly, without much attention, to the bottom of the bowl. Full bodied flavor with copious amounts of smoke. The burley is definitely in the lead, but is a "darker" tasting burley than is used in many of the other C&D blends. A musty, dark burley taste with some zing and tangy flavor. Flavor characteristics remind me somewhat of Adagio, although a little less so.

The tobacco does not bite, and is not harsh in any way, a very good all day tobacco. This may well supplant Morley's as my "go to" tobacco.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

This blend has been produced for some time by Cornell and Diehl. I thought I'd give it a try for I believed it'd be simular to the 100 numbered blends that have been made over the last year. It is a blend consisting of burley, latakia, and perique and was departure from the a formetioned 100s in the C&D line. I believe it contains more latakia and perique and thus is more of a light English.

I found the tobaccos coming through nicely and enjoyed relaxing with a bowl of this after a hard day's work. It is cool smoking and for a smoker like me a good way to step up and experiance more latakia.

I do not smoke many English/Balkan blends so I hope others more familure with those blends will give this a try. I suppose they would call it a mild/medium english than an "American blend" that seem to have more nuttiness of the burley, and less of a condiment leaf emphasis. Crowley's Best appears to be an English blend that is simply made with Burley instead of Virginia.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (271)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I was digging through my cellar "armoire" today doing my annual spring cleaning when I picked up an 8oz tin of Crowley's dated 4/2006 and the price sticker of $16.00 had me stunned! Cup O Joe's is where I purchased it from and it made me think of how much prices have changed, I used to buy 8oz bulk blends for $16 from Cup O Joe's, now every blend by C&D regardless of blend is $25.00. Anyways I had tried CB years ago and while I did enjoy my sample, I understood even as a newbie that the tobacco from C&D at that time was shipped green and needed aging, fast forward ten years and my tin literally exploded when I cracked the seal as the fermentation doing its magical stuff puffed out the tin. The Burleys are slightly bitter and strong, the Latakia adds its spice and the Perique gives me the nasal exhale tingle I love. CB is unique in that it doesn't contain Virginia's like Shandygaff which is another blend I love but the Latakia and Perique take this blend down a different path and it really works here. For those that like their American English blends on the drier side (like wine) then give CB a try since even if you do not like its lack of sweetness, one can add black Cavendish or a pinch of Virginia due to the simple 3 ingredient recipe. A great blend for working outside IMO since the flavor is so intense it does not get lost like a weaker blend would outside and does not bite one bit due to the lack of Virginia's so I intend to reserve CB for dog walks and mowing the lawn etc. And lastly the nicotine kick is above average as two of the three ingredients are known to contain high levels of it so a medium sized bowl is enough to satisfy me!

Age When Smoked: 2006

Purchased From: Cup O Joe's

RyinMD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyinMD (20)
Medium to Strong None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable

I have been trying a lot of Cornell & Diehl blends, looking for some new-to-me blends to add to the rotation. I tried Crowley's Best, and I'm not really a fan. I like American Englishes (burley & Latikia). I really didn't detect the sweetness some have noted, and this hit me a bit harder than I like. Other people seemed to like it more than I did. Bottom line - this isn't going into the rotation.

Pipe Used: Chacom, Savinelli

Age When Smoked: New in pouch

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (103)

I like a lot of the more powerful C&D blends, especially Bayou Night, which has been my go to smoke for years. If you don't consider Bayou Night a burley based English, a matter of debate, then Crowley's Best is the best burley based English (call it an American) I've had.

However, smoking Crowley's Best is not a spectacular or life changing experience. There is no "English Depth" so to speak. It is more a comfort blend. Smooth, medium Latakia and rich Burley (not the light stuff !) with a very small amount of Perique.

I should note that CB does burn rather quickly.

Because of the large rich burley content, this has to be smoked at a rather low temp or it will get bitter. Leaving it overnight will also result in the typical burley hangover experience.

I also agree that smoking CB is quite a cigar-like experience, despite there being no cigar leaf involved. Not a $15 cigar mind you. So perhaps, if you find Billy Budd too much, this is very similar, without the cigar leaf yet retaining many cigar like qualities.

Nice stuff, it's growing on me...

Pipe Used: Astley's

Similar Blends: Billy Budd without the cigar leaf ?.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (100)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This was definitely a unique blend, although I didn't particularly care fore it. I think the burley threw me for a loop, it just didn't mix well to me with the Lat and the Per. I only had a small sample, but I don't think this is one I would go out of my way to get more of...

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I don't get this one. Tastes an awful lot like a relit cigar to me. Bitter and rough.

Someone said the latakia overwhelms. Huh. I can barely detect it.

I don't find this to be an "English" blend either American or otherwise. Tastes much more like a cigar than some actual cigar blends I've smoked.

I can understand how some might like this one as a dark ruffian of sorts, thus I'm "somewhat" recommending.

But for me blehck.

john doe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john doe (41)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Yuck. Cigarette tasting with latakia and prominent perique.

I like burley... sometimes. MacBaren's Navy Flake was my burley eye-opener. Sweet and bitter. I can see the point of burley.

This? Yuck.

Smoking 4oz in bulk... why???

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This struck me as being a fairly middle-of-the-road English blend. The latakia overwhelmed most everything else, as I could barely taste either the burley or perique. This really isn't all that bad, but I can think of much better tobaccos in this genre. It does burn well, doesn't pose an extreme bite risk and is clearly appreciated by many -- this just wasn't something I enjoyed all that much.

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)

This is a very nice mixture for a change of pace from traditional English blends. You have that English or Balkan flavor and some strength of taste here. Burns cool and does not bite. The first and last of the bowl, to me, seems just a little rough around the edges or I would have given it 4 stars.