Burley, Latakia and Perique in an uncommonly harmonious natural blend. (A mixture for you old Fordham fans!)

Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Perique
Strength
Taste

3.1
whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (29)
Medium Very Mild Full Unnoticeable

first impression was doubtful--- BUT i had tried it in a 'questionable' pipe--many bowls later, in pipes of proven trust i can say that this one is a very good tobacco---quite enjoyable--and the aroma and flavor is.....well; it's tobacco; plain, pure and simple tobacco--old time tobacco that a codger of my youth would recognize--

it is Burley, with sweetness being provided by Perique rather than Virginia (thank goodness)--yet the Perique isn't an in your face ordeal--it's there, but it is in no way overpowering--the Latakia adds depth and another layer of flavor--

i don't think it is quite as good as Morley's Best (for my taste), but it is a welcome addition to my self imposed limited rotation--

if you're interested in good simple tobacco flavor, give it a try--if you like codger blends i believe you'll enjoy it--you may even make a new friend--

an edit--reason i noted 'room note as unnoticable is that i smoke on an open air screened porch--there is no room note--

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I'm really starting to like these Latakia/Burley blends and this one is superb. Starts with a good balance between the two in the first third. Second third the Burley dominates just slightly. Last third the Latakia makes a comeback bringing it back into balance. The Perique is light throughout. There is an ample amount of sweetness which is much welcome. Great smoke.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

karnevil9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
karnevil9 (17)

Still trying to figure out which Crowley this is named after. Aleister Crowley?? IDK. What I do know is that this is outstanding tobacco, and I love it! Along with Morley's Best. I can't decide which one is better. Maybe they are equally outstanding. 5 Stars for Crowley's Best.

Upon further review. I can say this is my favorite. Hands down. I know longer have a rotation. I smoke this solely. This must have be made by some evil genius or something. It is that good.

Irishlefty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irishlefty (18)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant

The big problem I've had with Crowley's Best is that it tastes so good I get in a rut where I don't smoke much else for weeks on end!

Unlike some of the reviewers, I can't tell you the mix of flavors, frankly over 4 decades I have only strayed from the English/Balkan/Oriental blends long enough to try others and very quickly return! I would be the wrong person to ask about aromatics but I do know what I like, what bites me and what doesn't, as long as we are in the area of English/Balkan blends.

C&D makes so many good blends that it was difficult to decide on a favorite but slowly trying one after another and returning to two or three, Crowley's Best became my 'everyday' smoke for quite a while.

Now I rotate Crowley's Best with several of the GLP blends and Plantation Evening, Orient Express and good old Prince Albert.

This is a remarkable smoke - tasty yet smooth enough to smoke several pipes a day and not get 'burned out' or bored with it.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)

This is a most pleasant and entertaining blend for all to enjoy. I'm surprised that others have not taken the time to investigate this delightful medley of familiar leaves. The aroma from the tin makes promises of rich and full flavor that are kept with the smoking expreience. Complex and rewarding, it burns easily with a nutty taste that does not bite. The combination of Perique and Latakia has made many a blend softer and this one is no exception. I like Burley, which can have some bite and bitterness - neither of which did I find here. This all-day mixture is like an old companion that is soft spoken yet true to it's nature. If you like Burley, Pirique and Cyrian Latikia then this is a blend for you, with my highest recommedation. The only suggestion I'd offer would be to use a coarser cut with the Burley.

Meerschaum Man Smoking a Gezer Flying Dragon

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

If Nightcap were made with burley instead of Virginia, it would be a lot like Crowley's Best. This is a truly fabulous American English; indeed, it is one of the very best.

Rich, pungent, flavorful, easy burning and easy to pack, CB will not bite a bit, even after repeated bowls. I love the earthy, stout burley and the intermingling of the latakia and perique. This should be much more popular than it seems to be.

Wonderful stuff!

OleFattGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OleFattGuy (27)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I got this in a blind test, and guessed that it was a Balkan or English mixture of classical cut. Even when smoking it I thought that the sweetness in this came from stoved and aged VA, not Burley which is the case...

Also, not being accustomed to what/how Perique can shapeshift due to its environment, I didn't suspect anyu trace of it, but rather thought that it was Orientals peeking through...

Well, well. I know better now, and I must say that this is a real winner, especially if you like Dunhills English line or Rattray's RR or ... well any English/Balkan I guess!

Close your eyes and think Balkan, it will be chillingly close!

Phantom55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phantom55 (29)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Another fine burley mixture from C&D. This one is kind of a sleeper though, as I hadn't heard much about it.

Nice ribbon cut tobacco that burns evenly, without much attention, to the bottom of the bowl. Full bodied flavor with copious amounts of smoke. The burley is definitely in the lead, but is a "darker" tasting burley than is used in many of the other C&D blends. A musty, dark burley taste with some zing and tangy flavor. Flavor characteristics remind me somewhat of Adagio, although a little less so.

The tobacco does not bite, and is not harsh in any way, a very good all day tobacco. This may well supplant Morley's as my "go to" tobacco.

morleysson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morleysson (23)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I have an old Sasieni 2 dot full bent billiard that sought the right tobacco as its complement. For years, the pipe just did not seem to be at its potential, as I tried one commercial blend after the other. C&D burley offerings helped considerably, but there was always a missing piece of the puzzle. Fortuitous gesture and I received some of Crowley's Best to sample, even though it is not a new offering, Craig Tarler thought that I might enjoy this blend. How right he was, and how happy that pipe is. Crowley's is an outstanding blend, mostly ribbon rather than broken flake, with a strong burley base and latakia and perique for flavor. Many blends, the components will exert themselves at different times during the smoke. Here, in Crowley's, the approach is a simpler harmony of flavors throughout the smoke, a dynamic in which the burley exerts a balancing to the pungent latakia and the musty qualities of perique. This is, unreservedly, a fine all-day blend, a little quicker burning than I am used to, but steady.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

This blend has been produced for some time by Cornell and Diehl. I thought I'd give it a try for I believed it'd be simular to the 100 numbered blends that have been made over the last year. It is a blend consisting of burley, latakia, and perique and was departure from the a formetioned 100s in the C&D line. I believe it contains more latakia and perique and thus is more of a light English.

I found the tobaccos coming through nicely and enjoyed relaxing with a bowl of this after a hard day's work. It is cool smoking and for a smoker like me a good way to step up and experiance more latakia.

I do not smoke many English/Balkan blends so I hope others more familure with those blends will give this a try. I suppose they would call it a mild/medium english than an "American blend" that seem to have more nuttiness of the burley, and less of a condiment leaf emphasis. Crowley's Best appears to be an English blend that is simply made with Burley instead of Virginia.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Perfect moisture level, packed well, perfect charring light (didn't need a relight, but I always do one) and took off wonderfully! Nice salt/pepper ash, very fluffy. Over all, not a bad smoke. Nothing to get excited over, but a decent experience. I don't know about calling it "Best". Perhaps Mr. Crowley should refine it a bit more. It was, well, boring. Nothing to keep me smoking it, but as I said, nothing really bad about it either.

I wouldn't recommend this to someone unless what they said they were looking for was this specific type of smoke, but I wouldn't NOT recommend it either, if that makes sense.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Remove Virginia and insert Burley. Presto, you've got yourself an untraditional English blend that deserves a shot simply for its unique nature.

It burns cool, clean, dry, and faster than a speeding bullet with a strange although not unpleasant bitter Burley/Latakia finish.

I don't think this one qualifies as a bell ringer.

Maxim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maxim (2)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Decided to try tobacco, because named in honor of Aleister Crowley. At least I thought so. I like this tobacco is not the first time, but now I smoke it nearly every day.

Pipe Used: Lorenzetti, Gasparini

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This struck me as being a fairly middle-of-the-road English blend. The latakia overwhelmed most everything else, as I could barely taste either the burley or perique. This really isn't all that bad, but I can think of much better tobaccos in this genre. It does burn well, doesn't pose an extreme bite risk and is clearly appreciated by many -- this just wasn't something I enjoyed all that much.

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)

This is a very nice mixture for a change of pace from traditional English blends. You have that English or Balkan flavor and some strength of taste here. Burns cool and does not bite. The first and last of the bowl, to me, seems just a little rough around the edges or I would have given it 4 stars.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This was definitely a unique blend, although I didn't particularly care fore it. I think the burley threw me for a loop, it just didn't mix well to me with the Lat and the Per. I only had a small sample, but I don't think this is one I would go out of my way to get more of...

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I don't get this one. Tastes an awful lot like a relit cigar to me. Bitter and rough.

Someone said the latakia overwhelms. Huh. I can barely detect it.

I don't find this to be an "English" blend either American or otherwise. Tastes much more like a cigar than some actual cigar blends I've smoked.

I can understand how some might like this one as a dark ruffian of sorts, thus I'm "somewhat" recommending.

But for me blehck.

john doe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john doe (41)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Yuck. Cigarette tasting with latakia and prominent perique.

I like burley... sometimes. MacBaren's Navy Flake was my burley eye-opener. Sweet and bitter. I can see the point of burley.

This? Yuck.

Smoking 4oz in bulk... why???