Six bold, flavorful Burleys are softened by a generous portion of Latakia, which creates a smoky backdrop for a Burley Lover's Blend. Not for the casual burley-smoker.

BrandJohn Patton
ContentsBurley, Latakia
Strength
Taste
Full, Very Full
Pleasant, Tolerable
Wy Cob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wy Cob (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Full Tolerable

I'm a Burley lover but this could've done without the latakia smokey flavor.

Nurse_Maduro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nurse_Maduro (27)
Medium Mild Full Tolerable

Wow. I'm enjoying my trip into Burley country, so I expected to really fall in love with this blend. Six burleys! What more could you want?

Well, I know what I didn't want: that Latakia. "Generous portion" indeed; frankly, it's all I could taste. I literally could not get past my initial three draws on this 'baccy. I'll save it for a bit and try it in a couple of different pipes but, for now, I have to say that this is my first Patton blend that I don't care for at all.

If you love Latakia, give it a try. Otherwise, get ready for a mouth full of pepper. (As a side note: my favorite characteristic in a cigar is that strong, peppery note; I'll smoke anything by Don Pepin, for example. Odd that Latakia offends my palate then. Oh well...such is the mystery of the 'Baccy Gods.)

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Mild Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant

From the mysterious hand of John Patton comes the rather blandly-named "Smoked Burley". That does not really tell you what to expect. I ordered half a pound of this simply because it was blended by JP and promised to be original.

First pipe (large handmade supergrain Woodie) -- rather harsh, bitey, not much Latakia and turned to a kind of hellfire experience near the end.

Second pipe (small handmade supergrain Woodie) -- tasted of something that I can only describe as Patton full strength -- as if old cigars were turned into zombies and crawling up my pipe.

Next pipe (natural burl dublin) -- cool, tentative, tasty, still not much Lat, but a lot of unusual burley flavour. Sweet, spicy, woodsy; I am thinking of Hiawatha puffing this outside his wigwam by the lakeshore. This may be as close to raw burley as one could get.

Only goes to show what I have always claimed -- it's the pipe and the tobacco, not one or the other. I heartily recommend this as yet another unique JP experience. I suspect that JP is lining up flavours one by one, with Moe's Confetti at one end, and others yet to be revealed. If he could only recreate ERR, or something like it ... can't have everything.

Shop this blend around your pipes, open up a copy of Hiawatha, fire up Smoked Burley and just let it rock you.

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

While I enjoyed this blend to a degree, it has many things that i don't like about it. First off, I am a burley lover and have been for years. But I never could taste the burley in this blend as the Latakia flat out dominated the blend. It's all I tasted. I like Latakia as a spice, and I like various English Blends but I am not a fan of hard core Latakia. I want to have the sweet taste of a good sweet VA or the nutty taste of a good burley with the back drop of Latakia. I would add something to this blend to back up the Latakia a little bit. Red VA would be nice, I will try it it with some 5100. I would even venture to adding a black cavendish or a Vanilla tobacco like MaB's Vanilla Cream to it in a small dose. The blend is brown and black in color with a very latakia aroma out of the pouch. It was fairly dry and filled easily in my pipe. But upon lighting, it was pretty harsh and never really let up the rest of the way down. It did smoke dry, and left a dark grey ash in the bottom of my pipe. I need to play with this blend a little and see if i can tame it to where I enjoy it. It surely is not the worst blend I have smoked, but it would not get into my rotation. If you really like Latakia, maybe you ought to give it a try. Sorry John.

DLT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DLT (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I am slowly working my way through Mr. Pattons blends, and am finding that all of his tobaccos tell me that a lot of thought has gone into the various formulations.

Although I am not a big and burley kind of guy, I was intrigued by the Latakia component, which adds real interest to this smoke.

I can see this as being an all-day smoke for the confirmed burley aficionado...

I like this one quite a bit!