Turkish Pipe Tobacco is a blend of selected Turkish tobaccos from Yayladag, Bitlis, Izmir and Ad1yaman. The main characteristics of these leaves is their high sugar contents. Sun cured and flavored with natural aromas of locust fruit, licorice honey, fig essence, and milk. Packed in 50 gr pouches as broken flakes.

Notes: This pipe tobacco has been produced by Turkish State Monopolies at the beginning of the 1930s till the beginning of the new millenium. A while ago a new company, Tabac Turc has bought the rights of producing this tobacco in their new manufactory. Tabac Turc has called back the masters of production and began remanufacturing this very old product respecting the traditional methods.

BrandTabac Turc

3.2
Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Strong

This tobacco has a very special reputation among the Turkish pipe smokers. It was the only real tobacco they've had, when the access in the global tobacco market was limited, just before the internet shopping was available. The Turkish Pipe Tobacco still is very famous due to old days' memories. An old Turkish pipe smoker just can't do without it even if he has the best products available in his stock. Simply this tobacco didn't let them without tobacco!

Before writing this review I also talked to my friends from Turkey who are smoking this tobacco for more than 30-40 years. Their generation had the opportunity to taste the differences between the different production methods and different tastes of developing tobacco production in years. So these notes are written blending the reviews of some old pipe smokers with my own notes.

Broken flakes are dark colored, strongly smelling locust. Manufacturer says that the tobaccos are packed at 14%- 14,5% humidity. Well it may need drying a bit to light easier. It packs well and burns even. It has a particular taste of tobacco, similar to old days cigarettes, when they were adding less chemicals, enriched with only natural flavors. You will notice the locust flavor immediately. When the smoke goes down, the flavor gets to be bland but noticible. It is not a medium strength tobacco for me, it tends to be strong, but mainly it has a gentle smoking. The locust flavor overwhelms me each time when I begin to smoke a new pouch. This decreases once the tobacco begins to dry and at each smoke when you finish the first quarter.

Suitable for daily smoking. I prefer especially in the morning. With a slow burning and long lasting smoke, I would recommend a Turkish coffee as companion.

You will obtain a very soft, clean, and almost white ash when you finish it. I rarely see this kind of ash.

If you are paying attention to room note please be careful! Even if there are not any interdictions regarding your pipe smoking, do not smoke it next to your spouse and before going to bed please rinse your mouth. Otherwise be ready to sleep on the couch. So, this is a real tobacco, only for the pipe smoker who smokes it for himself.

Thanks to my dear friends, Mr. Tarik Goksu and Mr. Omer Parlar from Turkey for their attribution for these notes.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Thanks to fellow reviewer Alguhan for his very kind gifting of a 50g pouch of this rich, Turkish pipe tobacco to smoke and review.

The 50g Pouch contains an inner factory sealed pouch of brownish and black pressed flakes that were somewhat moist. Even after rubbing out fully and leaving in the open air for several hours the tobacco remains moist.

Wow, I never tasted anything like this. Upon the initial lighting I detected an immediate "spicy" Virginia flavor. It was so spicy that I actually sneezed when exhaling some of the smoke through my nose. Perique? No, just the Izmir and other Oriental leaf (I think), which can really perk up the nose hairs when combined with a quality Virginia. The leaf was easy to keep lit and burned evenly throughout the bowl. The flavor was semi-sweet and deeply rich all-tobacco with no added flavoring detected. Additionally, there's no real Virginia "tang," which tells me a good deal of stoving went into the overall preparation.

For my second bowl I layered this Turkish blend with Five Brothers and got the nicotine hit I was looking for. I went back to smoking just the fully rubbed out flakes with no power boost for bowl number 3. It was easy to smoke and is totally biteless.

I will be disapointed when the pouch is finished. A simply marvelous tobacco that I wish was readily available worldwide.

Thanks again to my Turkish pipe smoking friend Alguhan for this wonderful and unique tobacco!

berhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
berhan (2)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco(TPT -stands for Turkish Pipe Tobacco) has a delicios taste, its also hard to smoke a bit.. I recommend you to smoke this tobacco with a pipe that has a long shank.

You will feel bad when you have less than 2 or 3 packages of this tobacco. Cause of this, TPT is an addictive tobacco that gives you comfort, jealousy(in a good mood) and an orgasmic taste via some fig flavour.

I have an aged TPT tin older than 50 y.o. After some rehumidifications, I could find a chance to taste the old-aged TPT. I can't find any word to tell the experience. I can say only, that's totally a history that have some victories, successes, wars inside. That's a lot of think that I can't explain.

Thanks, its highly recommended.

Bonus(A photograps from +50y.o. TPT that I took):

nekeke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nekeke (19)
Strong Very Mild Very Full Very Pleasant

First of all let me say here again that, I am quite new to pipe smoking. About 6 months. Before that however I was a tobacco smoker for 23 years. And by tobacco I mean natural tobacco from the fields. Regarding my pipe smoking journey, I tasted this one much later than very well known European brands. Here is my review... Very distinctive "and delicious" taste, like no other. Strong nicotine but smoking is easy. Lights up well. Leaves a nice ash. A little sweetness, a little tongue bite. A true rarity Last comment: If you are a pipe smoker you have to try it before you go...

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: All over Istanbul

Morhamster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Morhamster (8)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

A different experience. Same things about yaylada? go for this tobacco too. If i have to decide between yaylada? and türk pipo tütünü, i would prefer yaylada?.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

TPT well deserves the worst packaging award plus the most inconsistent tobacco blend of all times. It's like lottary but honestly you have more chance in lottary.

Here are some of the possibilities you'll get with a new pouch:

Cut: There's a chance tobacco will come out as tiny broken flakes OR long broken flakes OR a bunch of flakes all stick together OR thick cut robust flakes OR thin cut soft flakes.. OR all above at once

Casing: lets say one pouch will be locust dominant, the other will be fig and sometimes both in addition to honey and/or liquorice. There's a written recipe of this blend out open for everyone to read but obviously no one at production cares enough about that recipe (Liquorice extract - Locust - Fig extract - Honey - Benzoate and milk - Sodium Nitrate - PG or DG - Water)

Contents: Yayladag AG 50% - Bitlis AG 22% - Izmir AG 12% - Adiyaman AG 16% (it's claimed that Yayladag seeds are same as Syrian Latakia but mutated over time due to region/soil. So according to old Turkish State Monopolies and new company; Tabac Turc, Yayladag is a non-smoked version/variety of famous Syrian leaf)

Out of the pouch tobacco will be damp or very dry, you'll never know. And once lit you will be impressed or depressed, you'll never know. Bite? Hmm.. "you'll never know"

So.. F. Yeah! Roll the dice!

Danotti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danotti (5)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

well I smoke this tobacco alot as quality brands are hard to find.The tobacco burns slow and easy to smoke,nicotine satisfaction is ok.Does not bite tounge if smoked slow . The problem for this tobacco is really bad looking pouch and cant catch the same standart in every pouch.

Franz Josef the Rabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Franz Josef the Rabbit (6)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I bought it when I was in Istanbul and found it very plain at first few tryouts, but later on it revealed itself as very satisfying.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Very Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

FOR THOSE WHO WAKE UP AT NIGHT CAUSE OF THE LACK OF NICOTINE, THIS IS YOUR MEDICINE, JUST ONE BOWL BEFORE YOU GO TO SLEEP

I read about this tobacco at tobaccoreviews and did not believe my eyes. Turkish pipe tobacco. We've gone mad. I finally managed to get hold of 2 pouches. Tobaccos from Yayladag, Bitlis, Izmir. First thing I noticed was the packaging. Very rough around the edges. The tobacco is wrapped in a plastic bag, placed inside the pouch but noticeably in broken flake. It was matured enough and it even had crystals forming on it. In spite of the rough packaging, the tobacco remained fresh even if I had it in my cellar for about a year. Reviews describe a locust* flavor. I am not familiar with this scent. For me it most certainly has a fig and honey aroma. It is very very heavy. It is smoked dry, until the end of the bowl, leaving just white ashes. It causes no tongue bite and it has a very sweet taste forming by the oriental tobacco.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Being of Turkish origin myself, I guess I have to review this tobacco.

Coming from a country where quality pipe tobacco is extremely hard to find, this blend comes as a pretty pleasant surprise. Strange, considering the amount of tobacco Turkey produces and exports to the rest of the world.

Upon opening the pouch, you're greeted with an amateurish packaging job. Once you get over that, you'll notice the smell of figs ascending from the dark, broken flakes. The aroma doesn't seem to be all that natural, but it still smells nice and sweet.

The contents of the pouch are moist, to say the least. What I do is break up the flakes into little bits and leave them to dry for several hours. This tobacco would be a pain to smoke while it's moist, as you'll often have to relight and sacrifice much of it's flavor.

Speaking of flavor, once this tobacco is dried and stuffed in your pipe, it tastes excellent. It burns slow, cool, and the chemical fig smell almost entirely disappears from the actual smoke. I personally smoke this in a church warden, so the smoke is even cooler. I would recommend smoking this in a pipe with a longish mouth piece.

The best thing about this tobacco is that it tastes like tobacco, and it tastes oh so very Turkish. While having my first bowl, my senses were tingled with familiar Turkish tobacco smells of Yayladag and Izmir tobaccos, which instantly brought back memories.

While it's not my absolute favorite, I like keeping it around, and miss it when I run out. Worth trying for sure if can be obtained.

Update : This is the most inconsistent tobacco ever produced. It used to be good, now it's pretty much garbage. The pouches produced before 2007 is where it's at.

Coskun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coskun (23)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Strong

Well...This is real Turkish tobacco...Good chance for Turkish pipe smokers couse hard to find other tobaccos...

I smoke 2-3 pouch every month...Its great backup also...

Yes package its not good...But when you open it you never smell like this...Gentelman this is Turkish tobacco and real tobacco for a men...

Every package not smilar moisture...But usually need a dry...Easy to smoke...Nicotine level is medium...

If you have a Turkish friends you ll ask him...And want this stuff...

Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After the first two reviews of this 'baccy, I asked an ethnic Turkish friend of mine to bring me back a pouch of this blend next time he went to visit his family in Turkey. He did, though he did say he had a pretty hard time finding it in the tobacco stores of Istanbul.

A few days ago, just after his return, he handed over one pouch and let me sample the one he had been smoking from the last few days. From the pouch he had opened a week earlier, the 'baccy was pretty moist. The unopened one he had brought for me felt pretty dry, and later on would turn out to be just that.

The pouch aroma, when I first stuck my nose in there, was pure unadulterated Nehi Grape. Just about the most artificial scent I ever had my nose into. It wasn't really bad, just smelled chemical; I have had the chance to smell a large range of pure Oriental tobaccos so far, and I cannot imagine how any pure-oriental blend could get such a chemical-seeming pouch smell.

The leaf is basically several slices of cut plug wrapped into a vacuum wrapper inside the more usual paper-in-plastic (but in this case non-vacuum) wrapper; a little atypical for the western pipe smoker who is used to vacuum-packed-and- sealed pouches.

Depending on the state of the leaf, I got basically a broken flake or an unbroken but crumbly flake. Either way, I could sink long strands of the weed into just about any pipe and light it OK, with a char or two necessary. The taste, fortunately, did without the grape soda notes, but was very nice, full and sweet.

I got a distinctively different room note from the two pouches I have tried this far; from one I got a fully-sweet, non-artificial note that was very nice, and the other got me a very sturdy Oriental note, sweet and dry but with an unfortunate side note that, for me, was closer to Dow Chemical than Plain Tobacco. Here, the artificial grape flavour/scent was quite noticeable in both taste and room note.

In either case, the taste is beautifully sweet; it is definitely from good Oriental (I'd say high percentage of Izmir) leaf and it does satisfy. I just wish the artificial notes I got from one of the samples in taste and from both in pouch aroma were not there.

My two-star rating is an average of the samples I got to try. You can get lucky and get a four-star 'baccy, or you can lose out. Welcome to the lottery.