An outstanding blend of Latakia, black Cavendish, Virginia and Burley. A surprisingly smooth taste.

ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
3.1
Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)

Old College is a straightforward American-English blend, a "Morley's Best Lite" of sorts, with cavendish smoothing things out and bringing a bit of Scottish flair to the party. This is the broadest-cut mixture I've ever seen, which makes packing an interesting affair. I am amazed at how Mr. Tarler and Company can get this misshapen collection of tobacco leaves to burn with such remarkable congruency. Overall, it's a solid, undemanding smoke that is toasty, sweet and agreeable -- collegial, I suppose. Definitely worth a try if you like the Anglo-American blends and enjoy some cavendish in the recipe. Give it the old college try.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (36)

C&D has been my main tobacco preference for several years now. I've always been impressed with their quality and consistency. Even after the business deal with smokingpipes.com I've not seen a single skip in their beat of consistency. This should give comfort to those seeking a company with a reputation for quality and consistency. All of this is a segue into my absolute endorsement of their bulk line of tobaccos. My tastes run from Old Joe Krantz to Pegasus to Big N' Burley as my main smokes. Old College fills a gap for that all day smoke that keeps your interest but is consistent.

Upon first light Old College may seem like a Latakia powerhouse but very quickly mellows out into a sweet, smokey and slightly nutty blend. There's not a lot of variation after the first calming down and remains consistent to the end of the bowl. The only (minor) drawbacks may be some slight ashiness towards the bottom and a slight, but not unpleasant, burley bitterness on relights that have sat for longer than 15 minutes. The cavendish really smooths out this blend and for those who did not like the bitterness of Morley's Best this blend may be more to your liking if you want a bit of latakia.

Overall a very good blend that is certainly worthy of consideration if you're a pipe smoker looking for a blend that is a bridge between different genres. It's perfect for the English smoker looking to get into burley's or vice versa. It also can bridge the Virginia smoker into English or burley blends. It's quite tame and there wasn't ever a moment of nip or nicotine overload. It's no weakling either and will certainly satisfy with a pipe load. It's not a blend that will wow you into cellaring pounds and pounds but it one to keep on hand for when you need an easy smoker and like a bit of latakia. Certainly recommended and I would jar this for 3 months before trying to let the leaves get to know each other a bit.

Pipe Used: Upshall Bent Rhodesian

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

Similar Blends: Along the same vein as C&D Big 'N Burley but with a sweeter bent, less focus on the burley and more latakia. Also a sweeter smoother cousin to Morley's Best., Cornell & Diehl - 103: Big n' Burley, Cornell & Diehl - 101: Morley's Best.

Now this is my kind of tobacco. A Latakia blend with both a bold taste and strength! This American style English blend is about three steps up from Barking Dog and one bowl will satisfy your pipe desire for awhile.

The Virginia and Burley in this blend contain an unusual amount of strength and the Latakia plays somewhat in the background although you will sure taste it. The cut is somewhat broad, yet small and it loads and packs easily. I have found few C&D blends that do not stay lit well and this one fits in with the majority.

Strength and Flavor.... I'm going back to Old College soon.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Boy, is this stuff good. I love American Englishes and this is one of the best I've had in a long time. I've been smoking it in a variety of MacArthur and General cobs and if I were ever to choose an "all-day smoke," this would among my top choices.

Burley, latakia, black cavendish, and Virginia. Those are the ingredients according to C&D's website. I don't know if the cavendish is sweetened or not, but there's only a pinch of it in this blend, which has an undercurrent of unobtrusive sweetness that I quite like. It's got a nice strength, too--not too powerful, but by no means weak. Perfect for smoking bowl after bowl, which I've been doing. If you like the combination of earthy burley and latakia, you'll like this.

Old College packs and lights with ease, and I don't go through very many matches while smoking it. This is classic stuff and you should try it if you haven't already.

morleysson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morleysson (23)

This is a funny tobacco. I'm not quite certain what I expected from the sample that I had, but I think that I was hoping for a singular latakia moment, for the latakia to overwhelm me. The pouch presence was unremarkable, shades of blacks and browns. I could not detect that characteristic twinge of the nose, like from a John Cotton. "Old college" spoke to me of undergraduate days when my professors preferred BSWHite or Constantinople, and the air in the classroom resembled a Turkish train station. Here, latakia didn't push the limits. The sensation was more of a well-balanced medium strength blend, perhaps suggesting even an all-day smoke. The latakia and virginias were present and obvious, while the burleys provided a smooth under-base and the cavendish offset any bitterness. All-in-all, a very serviceable American latakia blend, w/o bite and a clean burn to the bottom of the pipe.

zionhead1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zionhead1 (26)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have learned to ignore most Names given to tobacco. The infamous fascination with the black arts, the references to dogs and even cochroaches and medeviel forms of torture, this OLD College is not well suited - but a REAL good tasting Latakia blend english. At the start, it is alittle acidy, and quickly mellows out into a creamy (yes creamy) smooth smoke. A Wine affect starts and contiunes for most of the duration - which I like alot. Caution: This is very strong and will whack you in the head. Also leaves a ashy coating in your mouth but, with most Latakia blends, par for the course. similiar to Gawith's perfection BUT MUCH STRONGER (not even Pirate KAKE gave the tummy turns like this did) and better quality.

The flavor profile is of a sweet, smoky, Burley with just a hint of toast. Medium bodied and flavored. I think the Black Cav has just a touch of artificial sweetness. Not a problem for me. I think it's a nice touch. All in all, it's enjoyable and satisfying.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman, MM Freehand

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Old College is another rough/chopped cut tobacco from C&D that arrived with just the right amount of moisture. At first light it was a bit sharp, but quickly settled down. I was having a hard time finding the right pipe for this blend and found it worked best for me in a very wide (for me) bowl of about an inch. OC is smoky, but not a Lat bomb, and at points a touch of sweetness would pop in and out. While not what I would call a strong blend, it does have some kick to it compared to many English blends. I did wish for a bit of Turkish that this blend seems to lack. At the bottom quarter of the bowl OC turned a little acrid. I sometimes can smoke a little quickly and I think I may have avoided this late bowl foulness had a slowed a bit. By the time I was finished with the ounce of OC I bought, I was left wondering why I find many of the C&D English blends tasty, but I would be hard pressed to find one that fit into my regular rotation. I think most often it is because the common habit, at least with the blends I have tried, to add Burley to many of their English blends. I think it is also because I find a lot of C&D’s blends to lack the “polish” that I view many of my favorite English blends seem to have (Dunhill, Schurch, Pipeworks & Wilke etc.) although I thought the discontinued Orient Express was pretty darn good. I haven’t given up on C&D and I don’t claim to have the “corner” on English blends, but this isn’t good enough to buy again, C&D lovers may feel differently.

Pipe Used: Several, but large bowled Morrisette worked best.

ImAFlake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ImAFlake (4)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am new at the pipe, so I am not supposed to like this kind of tobacco, right? Well, I do. I saw this on the local shelf and "ghast", liked the name. When I opened it, I felt the tobacco was a bit dry. The smell was a little on the spicy side to my nose, but hints of sweet in there too. When lit, it has a bit of smokey, but it is much more complex than that. Not too smokey, not real sweet, but pleasant to smoke. The smoke takes on the word "creamy" fairly well. The room note was nice, but subdued. It stayed lit easy and smoked down consistently to me. I tend to like really dark coffee and espresso in the morning and I think this may do nicely to get me going. I suspect that for a hard core English person, this blend will be too mild, but I think it is a good beginning for smokers wanting to try this type of blend. There is a mild hit from it, but not enough to concern me approaching a work day. I think this can be smoked daily in a larger pipe. That is what I plan to do.

I am certainly experimenting and there may come a day when I go for a stronger English and I am certainly liking flakes right now too, but I am happy I chose this to start with to see if I could handle something with Latakia.

obxemt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
obxemt (26)

A reliable though somewhat generic and bland English blend. Reminescent of Presbyterian. More dry in the package than I would prefer, like most C&D blends. Smooth though unremarkable. Low nicotine content and lacking richness.